PDA

View Full Version : New Video from DukeBluePlanet: We can. We will. Together.

SilkyJ
08-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Got this from Airowe's twitter: another great video from DukeBluePlanet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYlHUmJFfDE). Make sure you watch until the very end for my favorite quote: "I'm Nolan Smith, and I approve this message."

Lord Ash
08-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Oh Nolan:)

I think it is very interesting how Duke athletics, as an institution, really made a radical change in how the team is exposed to the public. Good stuff for us fans:)

yancem
08-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Oh Nolan:)

I think it is very interesting how Duke athletics, as an institution, really made a radical change in how the team is exposed to the public. Good stuff for us fans:)

Yeah, and that starts with Coach K's attitude toward the media. Well, maybe attitude is the wrong word, approach maybe. Anyway he started making a concerted effort to make himself and the team more available to the media a few years ago. Then they started Blue Planet which allowed them to frame their image the way they want to be seen instead of relying on the professional media of painting a positive and accurate image. Brilliant move from a public image standpoint and for fan support. I love the videos.

Now if they would only expand the concept to include woemen's basketball, football and some of the other sports.

COYS
08-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah, and that starts with Coach K's attitude toward the media. Well, maybe attitude is the wrong word, approach maybe. Anyway he started making a concerted effort to make himself and the team more available to the media a few years ago. Then they started Blue Planet which allowed them to frame their image the way they want to be seen instead of relying on the professional media of painting a positive and accurate image. Brilliant move from a public image standpoint and for fan support. I love the videos.

Now if they would only expand the concept to include woemen's basketball, football and some of the other sports.

DukeBluePlanet is so much fun for the fans. It really is a brilliant move. I'm sure the players enjoy it, too. Between DBP and Nolan Smith on twitter/youtube/blogs, we really get a lot of insight into the players' personalities and that just makes it even more enjoyable to be a Duke fan.

DevilDan
08-24-2010, 04:40 PM
DukeBluePlanet is so much fun for the fans. It really is a brilliant move. I'm sure the players enjoy it, too. Between DBP and Nolan Smith on twitter/youtube/blogs, we really get a lot of insight into the players' personalities and that just makes it even more enjoyable to be a Duke fan.

I just watched the video ... in the 3-4 minutes since, I have reflected on three moments . . .

Coach Bubas called timeout late in a tight ACC game, to set up strategy... Art Heyman entered the huddle and said, "just give me the ball, and get out of my way" ... job done.

Christian Laettner, thinking he had a clear path to the rim, took one dribble from the free throw line, skyed, and plowed into an opponent, before making a monster Jam. The basket was called off, with a player control foul called -- and during the 5-6 seconds that followed Bobby Hurley jumped into Christian's arms as if they had just won the NCAA title, while Brian Davis gave him a double high five, as the two bumped chests.

JJ Redick riddled the Texas defense for 40+, in a game between #1 & #2, where DUKE ruled. After each dagger, he ran back downcourt, with two hands showing "3" shoulder high, and an near-apologetic smile on his face.

ALL moments that I will never forget. The joy, the manic enthusiasm, and all of it without a hint of "in your face" ... THAT is why I am a 50-year fan to date, and a fan for LIFE.

When I saw this video, I had a simple, stunning reaction: THE FUN HAS JUST STARTED.