PDA

View Full Version : ACC Preview by The Dagger

JasonEvans
08-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Yahoo's college hoops blog, The Dagger, says it will be looking ahead at the ACC all week. It begins with a preview of Duke (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/ACC-Preview-It-s-banner-or-bust-for-Duke-this-s?urn=ncaab-258050&post_comment=1&success=1) and the teams that will challenge for the league title.

--Jason "gonna go read the whole article and then I'll have more" Evans

JasonEvans
08-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Meh-- it was ok, not a lot of depth there. Then again, we all know Duke pretty darn well so it is unlikely that an article like that would provide us with something unknown. I was intrigued with Yahoo's picks for All-ACC:

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaab_experts__18/ept_sports_ncaab_experts-965290288-1281888319.jpg?ym_QanDDQZ9US4iu

Two freshmen on the first-team... hmmmm.

They also have the conference order picked... about what most of us seem to expect.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaab_experts__18/ept_sports_ncaab_experts-676072107-1282537177.jpg?ymZr4pDDK59BqoRv

--Jason "I might flip-flop Wake and Maryland and I am not 100% sold on UNC at #2, but this is very close to my picks" Evans

MisterRoddy
08-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Meh-- it was ok, not a lot of depth there. Then again, we all know Duke pretty darn well so it is unlikely that an article like that would provide us with something unknown. I was intrigued with Yahoo's picks for All-ACC:

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaab_experts__18/ept_sports_ncaab_experts-965290288-1281888319.jpg?ym_QanDDQZ9US4iu

They also have the conference order picked... about what most of us seem to expect.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaab_experts__18/ept_sports_ncaab_experts-676072107-1282537177.jpg?ymZr4pDDK59BqoRv

--Jason "I might flip-flop Wake and Maryland and I am not 100% sold on UNC at #2, but this is very close to my picks" Evans

I think he has Miami a little low, I really like Durand Scott's game. I also doubt a freshman Reggie Bullock will be the best outside shooter in the whole conference. I have a feeling it will be one of our guys whether it be Seth, Nolan, or Dre.

pfrduke
08-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I think he has Miami a little low, I really like Durand Scott's game. I also doubt a freshman Reggie Bullock will be the best outside shooter in the whole conference. I have a feeling it will be one of our guys whether it be Seth, Nolan, or Dre.

And Reggie Johnson's. He was on of the most efficient offensive players in the league last year when he was on the court, he just couldn't stay on the court that long due to conditioning and foul trouble. Assuming he put in a good amount of work in the offseason, he should see his ability to play more minutes improve, which will make his output improve. I think there's a case to be made that he's the best pure big man in the ACC.

Class of '94
08-23-2010, 01:58 PM

I guess you can count me in the count of possibly underestimating Carolina; but I don't think there going to finish in 2nd place in the ACC. I see them ending somewhere around 4th place at best in the league. I like Va Tech and Fla State competing for the 2nd and 3rd spots in the ACC.

pfrduke
08-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I guess you can count me in the count of possibly underestimating Carolina; but I don't think there going to finish in 2nd place in the ACC. I see them ending somewhere around 4th place at best in the league. I like Va Tech and Fla State competing for the 2nd and 3rd spots in the ACC.

I don't quite see the love for FSU. I think they'll be good, but not second-place good. They were a bad offensive team last year; worst in the ACC in offensive efficiency by a reasonably healthy margin. And they lost their second-most efficient offensive player (and only efficient high-usage player) in Alabi. Leonard Hamilton has never been an offensive mastermind - when he's had dominant performers like Thornton and Douglas, he's turned them loose and let them try to carry the team. But he doesn't have anyone like that on this team - the best hope, I suppose, is that Michael Snaer has some big growth in that regard over the offseason, because Chris Singleton and Derwin Kitchen will never be that guy.

Also, while FSU's defense will still be strong, as it's always been, losing Alabi and Reid means it almost certainly won't be at the level it was last year, when they were statistically the best defensive team in the country.

Losing Alabi makes them, in my opinion, a worse team than they were last season. In any event, it's hard to see them being substantially better this year without their most reliable offensive performer and their most intimidating (and effective) defensive presence.

Olympic Fan
08-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Personally, I think they have Miami much too low and Wake much, MUCH too high.

I think Wake is in the mix with Virginia and BC for the very bottom of the league. They have three servicable players returning and none of them are stars (Harris, Stewart and Woods) joined by a good, but not great freshman class -- there are no Barnes, Irvings or Leslies in that grup ... heck, Josh Hairston is higher rated than the top Wake recruit (Terrell or McKie). Their freshman point guard shows some promise -- he was POY in Philly -- but he wasn't a top 100 recruit. Tyler Thornton, the player of the year in DC, was a higher rated prospect.

On the other hand, Miami returns a proven point guard and 4/5th of the starting lineup that played so well in Greensboro last March (after they lost Collins). Durand Scott appeared to be really blossoming at the end of last season (he gave Duke fits in the tourney). Reggie Johnson stepped right in for Collins and played great.

I also like FSU a lot. They have size, some greatest defensive players and potentially explosive talents such as Snaer and Ian Miller (who will be, I guarantee you, a better freshman than any Wake recruit).

And, as much as I'd like top predict another bad season for UNC. I don't see it happening. There's too much talent there. Last year was one of those years when everything went wrong for them, but look back at Duke and UNC over the last 25 years and check out when they had bad seasons -- teams at that level are ALWAYS significantly better the next season. They have 4-5 potential first round NBA picks on their roster.

On the other hand, too many fans are overrating Virginia Tech based on their experience. And that will help them have a good season. But their talent level is just not there -- their record last year was very much a product of a weak schedule -- both in and out of conference. They only played three games against teams that finished in the top three of the ACC last year -- 0-3 against the top 3. They were 3-4 against teams that made the NCAA Tournament last year ... and they ended the ACC season losing to Miami in Greensboro. They have another weak in-conference schedule which will help them again. That and their experience will probably result in a top 3 or 4 ACC finish and an NCAA bid, but I don't see them as anything special.

Newton_14
08-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Nice article Jason. Thanks for finding that.

Below is my favorite quote from the article courtesy of Nolan:

"Kyle and I, we want guys to know that last season is over," Smith said. "I have high expectations for this year's team, probably even higher than last year's team. I hope to win more games and lose less. I hope to dominate teams even more than we did last year. I think we have a chance to leave a legacy at Duke and I'm confident we won't waste that."

I also was interested to see that Nolan sought out Lamar Odom at the USA practice to get his thoughts on what it takes to repeat as champion. If this year's team comes together as we all expect it to, their biggest opponent is going to be themselves.

The domination part of Nolan's quote is key as well. The thing about the Battier/James led teams is once those team's got you down by 10, they wanted to stretch it to 20, once they got there, they wanted to get you down 30. They just never let up and no lead seemed to satisfy them.

This team needs that same mindset. It is up to Nolan and Kyle to keep the young guys focused and make sure each kid gives 100% effort every play no matter the opponent.

stickdog
08-24-2010, 01:53 AM
more Duke links (http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/08/23/todays-greatest-links/)

ACCBBallFan
08-24-2010, 10:55 AM
The team I think people are way under estimating is BC. They won't be top 4 but they won't be bottom 3 either.

They lost one key guy who could have returned Rakim Sanders and they have a new coach but pretty high on experience

Josh Southern C BC 6' 10" 250
Joe Trapani PF BC 6' 08" 228
Cortney Dunn PF-2 BC 6' 08" 242
Reggie Jackson PG BC 6' 03" 200
Corey Raji SF BC 6' 06" 218
Biko Paris SG BC 6' 01" 200
Dallas Elmore SG-2 BC 6' 05" 210

All except the two juniors Jackson and Elmore are seniors.

Year after next BC will be at the bottom as result of no frosh last year and transfer of Evan Ravenel to Ohio St.

Dukeface88
08-24-2010, 11:42 AM
I think NC State might be a bit low as well. Their recruiting class is really good, and I'm not sold on FSU or UNC. State's tough to evaluate though. We've never seen what Lowe can do with decent talent and they've got a tough ACC schedule against them.

Olympic Fan
08-24-2010, 12:11 PM
The team I think people are way under estimating is BC. They won't be top 4 but they won't be bottom 3 either.

They lost one key guy who could have returned Rakim Sanders and they have a new coach but pretty high on experience

Josh Southern C BC 6' 10" 250
Joe Trapani PF BC 6' 08" 228
Cortney Dunn PF-2 BC 6' 08" 242
Reggie Jackson PG BC 6' 03" 200
Corey Raji SF BC 6' 06" 218
Biko Paris SG BC 6' 01" 200
Dallas Elmore SG-2 BC 6' 05" 210

All except the two juniors Jackson and Elmore are seniors.

Year after next BC will be at the bottom as result of no frosh last year and transfer of Evan Ravenel to Ohio St.

I think some of you put wa-a-a-y too much importance on experience. It's valuable, yes, but not as valuable as talent. Obviously, the best teams have both talent and experience, but if I could have one of the two, I'd rather have talent.

BC returns four starters from a team that won six ACC games last season. The guy they lost was probably their most talented player (although he had a dismal year). They don't add anybody of note. They also lose their top frontcourt reserve (Ravenel, who wasn't very good) and their best 3-point shooter (Roche).

Trapani and Jackson are good ACC players. Raji has some skills. But Southern is a stiff. He averaged 4.4 points and 3.2 rebounds -- and that was in his second year as a starter. How much better is he going to be? And who else do they have inside? Dunn (0.9 points, 1.9 rebounds)? Biko Paris was given every chance to be a contributor last season and he flopped. Elmore might be able to step up his role, but he's another mid-size player on a team overloaded with midsize players (and lacking true guards and true big men).

So they have experience ... but it's lousy experience ... just like Virginia Tech has a lot of medioce experience (beyond Delaney, who is very good).

BC was able to win six games last year because Al Skinner turned them into a ferocious defensive team. Donohue won a lot of games at Cornell with a team that ran and shot a lot of 3-pointers ... good luck with that (Jackson and Paris both under 30 percent ... Raji didn't even attempt a 3 last year).

They'll be lucky to win six ACC games this year. I like Virginia's chances better.

pfrduke
08-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I think some of you put wa-a-a-y too much importance on experience. It's valuable, yes, but not as valuable as talent. Obviously, the best teams have both talent and experience, but if I could have one of the two, I'd rather have talent.

BC returns four starters from a team that won six ACC games last season. The guy they lost was probably their most talented player (although he had a dismal year). They don't add anybody of note. They also lose their top frontcourt reserve (Ravenel, who wasn't very good) and their best 3-point shooter (Roche).

Trapani and Jackson are good ACC players. Raji has some skills. But Southern is a stiff. He averaged 4.4 points and 3.2 rebounds -- and that was in his second year as a starter. How much better is he going to be? And who else do they have inside? Dunn (0.9 points, 1.9 rebounds)? Biko Paris was given every chance to be a contributor last season and he flopped. Elmore might be able to step up his role, but he's another mid-size player on a team overloaded with midsize players (and lacking true guards and true big men).

So they have experience ... but it's lousy experience ... just like Virginia Tech has a lot of medioce experience (beyond Delaney, who is very good).

BC was able to win six games last year because Al Skinner turned them into a ferocious defensive team. Donohue won a lot of games at Cornell with a team that ran and shot a lot of 3-pointers ... good luck with that (Jackson and Paris both under 30 percent ... Raji didn't even attempt a 3 last year).

They'll be lucky to win six ACC games this year. I like Virginia's chances better.

The bolded part above simply isn't true. Al Skinner teams have always been allergic to defense, and last year was no exception. They were the worst defensive team in the ACC over the course of the full season, and gave up at least a point per possession in 12 of their 17 ACC games. They were the second-easiest team to score against and the worst team at forcing turnovers. Their offense, by contrast, was middle of the pack - 5th in the conference - and is primarily responsible for their six wins; indeed, in four of their victories, both teams scored at least a point per possession - only in the wins over Virginia Tech and Virginia was their defense stalwart. Say what you will about Skinner, but he always ran an effective flex offense that helped his team score points.

gofurman
08-25-2010, 12:11 AM

I would personally drop all frosh from a preseason all-conference list. Neither Kyrie nor Harrison has shown me as much as several other seasoned acc players. I believe it when I see it - see Randolph, Shavlivk and Fingleton, Neil

SO with that - who would you put in their place? I'll go with the NOlan, Kyle, Delaney and add Durand Scott ( a great one who did it against ACC competition) and I might put Trapani on there... have to think through the teams... Maybe the tall kid with great D at FSU - Singleton? Is the 6'7" guy still at State? He gives other teams fits. and Jordan Williams at MD is a very good one. I would put him and Durand Scott now that I think about it. those two have shown me they can do it.

There are always 5 or 6 McD AAs coming to the ACC ,

Azdukefan
08-25-2010, 10:11 AM
While the title seems a little heavy (Banner or Bust), I would agree that it is title or bust for us next year. Sure there are always high expectations but I can't recall a time since 1999 where the X couldn't have been more squarely placed on our backs. I love this type of situation as it reminds others why Duke is Duke. For me, when I heard that Kyle and Nolan were returning the first thing I thought about was undefeated. While I know this is probably a slim to none chance, I think the talent and coaching is there is to give it a good shot. The only bad thing is that going into a season with these type of expectations can only lead to heartache. A buddy and I discussed one day whether winning games/tournaments (i.e, 2010) that you weren't supposed to win outweighed the ones you were supposed to win (i.e, 99) and both agree that losing far outweighs the winning.

So FWIW, I am counting the days until CTC but am a little leary as anything less than a title is failure in my mind and again that often leads to dissappoint. Come on fellas I don't need another 99 to remember!

jimsumner
08-25-2010, 10:27 AM
I would personally drop all frosh from a preseason all-conference list. Neither Kyrie nor Harrison has shown me as much as several other seasoned acc players. I believe it when I see it - see Randolph, Shavlivk and Fingleton, Neil

I'm reasonably certain this is the first time Harrison Barnes has ever been compared to Neil Fingleton. :)

Duvall
08-25-2010, 11:18 AM
The ACC Preview continues with thoughts from Jay Bilas (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/ACC-Preview-Scouting-the-league-with-ESPN-s-Jay?urn=ncaab-264646#remaining-content), as well as a plug for the growing airowe media empire.

JasonEvans
08-25-2010, 12:06 PM
The Dagger continues to be ACC and Duke heavy this week. The latest post is a fairly rudimentary analysis (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Will-Coach-K-break-Bob-Knight-s-all-time-wins-re;_ylt=Aj8q7b3jDTSrUPky9fr5HphjVJJ4?urn=ncaab-265052) of whether Duke can win 34+ games this year to get K past Bobby Knight on the all-time win list.

--Jason "nothing new for most of us, but good to see the national media beginning to embrace this story" Evans

Slackerb
08-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Tracy Smith should be first team All-ACC...the guy demands double teams and when teams don't double him, he dominates. Look at the Duke game last year.

Don't sleep on NC State. With the new talent, teams won't be able to simply collapse on Smith and smother him...and that will open up all kinds of options for that team.

JasonEvans
08-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Today's story in The Dagger is a countdown of the top 15 must-see games (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/ACC-Preview-Counting-down-next-season-s-15-can-?urn=ncaab-265162)next year in the ACC. A bit of a surprise to not see the Duke-UNC season finale at #1.

--Jason "Duke is in 4 of the top 5 games" Evans

Dukeface88
08-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Today's story in The Dagger is a countdown of the top 15 must-see games (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/ACC-Preview-Counting-down-next-season-s-15-can-?urn=ncaab-265162)next year in the ACC. A bit of a surprise to not see the Duke-UNC season finale at #1.

--Jason "Duke is in 4 of the top 5 games" Evans

82-50 will do that to you.

And Bilas is trying too hard to be unbiased again. "Buildings aren't hard to play in?" Tell that to Paul Davis.

juise
08-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Tell that to Paul Davis.

Because he put up 17 and 10 with 4 blocks (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=243350150) against Shelden? Am I forgetting something about that game? The Crazies were giving him a bad time about his ex-girlfriend, right?

Dukeface88
08-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Because he put up 17 and 10 with 4 blocks (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=243350150) against Shelden? Am I forgetting something about that game? The Crazies were giving him a bad time about his ex-girlfriend, right?

...and that's the second time in a week I put my foot in my mouth. I looked up this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?4765-Favorite-Cameron-Crazies-Chants/page2) and saw this game (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=233370127), without noticing that we were away.

COYS
08-26-2010, 10:47 PM
...and that's the second time in a week I put my foot in my mouth. I looked up this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?4765-Favorite-Cameron-Crazies-Chants/page2) and saw this game (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=233370127), without noticing that we were away.

Wow, did JJ really come off the bench in that game?

Dukeface88
08-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Wow, did JJ really come off the bench in that game?

Huh, didn't notice that either. He came off the bench the next game (vs. St. Johns) as well. Looks like it worked though.

stickdog
08-27-2010, 03:30 AM
more Duke links (http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/08/26/latest-duke-hoopla/)

basket1544
08-27-2010, 08:01 AM
There's only 4 Duke players in the last 30 years that started every game they played: Johnny, Tommy, Alarie, and JWill.

Olympic Fan
08-27-2010, 10:24 AM
There's only 4 Duke players in the last 30 years that started every game they played: Johnny, Tommy, Alarie, and JWill.

That's great trivia --

Kyle is close with 110 starts in 111 games. But if you remember, there was one non-conference game early in the 2008-09 season -- when UNC Asheville visited Cameron -- when Coach K started five reserves. That is the only game Kyle came off the bench (although he ended up playing a team-high 22 minutes).

JasonEvans
08-27-2010, 11:58 AM

I thought maybe Luol Deng would trip you up, but he came off the bench in 5 of 37 games his one year at Duke.

I suspect that Kyrie may be a candidate for this.

-Jason "cool trivia question" Evans

jimsumner
08-27-2010, 12:23 PM
RE: Duke-MSU in '03-'04 season. Duke was coming off a disappointing loss to a mediocre Purdue team in Alaska.

When these things happen, the coach is inclined to shake up things.

basket1544
08-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Kyle is close with 110 starts in 111 games. But if you remember, there was one non-conference game early in the 2008-09 season -- when UNC Asheville visited Cameron -- when Coach K started five reserves. That is the only game Kyle came off the bench (although he ended up playing a team-high 22 minutes).

IIRC that UNC Asheville game that Kyle didn't start was a statement by Coach K because they lost to Michigan the game before.
I'm curious if anyone remembers which game it was that Bobby didn't start in. He only came off the bench once.

SilkyJ
08-28-2010, 12:24 AM

It was years ago, but I still remember the words coming out of my mouth from the front row:

Caaaaaarrrrrrrrroooliiine!
Caaaaaarrrrrrrrroooliiine!

77devil
08-28-2010, 08:26 AM
I thought maybe Luol Deng would trip you up, but he came off the bench in 5 of 37 games his one year at Duke.

A 2 season minimum should be imposed to qualify.;)

Olympic Fan
08-28-2010, 10:41 AM
IIRC that UNC Asheville game that Kyle didn't start was a statement by Coach K because they lost to Michigan the game before.
I'm curious if anyone remembers which game it was that Bobby didn't start in. He only came off the bench once.

I assume you mean Bobby Hurley.

He didn't start Christian Laettner's jersey retirement game in Cameron against Virginia on Feb. 26, 1992.

If you remember, Bobby broke his foot late in the first half of the game in Chapel Hill early that month. He played the rest of that game, but sat out then next eight games. Grant moved over to the point and Tony Lang took Grant's forward spot for those eight games as Duke went 7-1 (including a win at LSU over Shaq).

Hurley made his comeback in the home game with Virginia. He came off the bench and played 26 minutes. He only scored four points, but he had nine assists.

He might have come off the bench another game or so to work back into full condition, but during that game, Grant Hill went down with an ankle injury.

Grant would miss the next two games (and come off the bench in the ACC and NCAA Tournaments -- at least until Brian Davis was hurt in the NCAA semifinals and Grant returned to the starting lineup against Michigan). His injury forced K to return Hurley to the starting lineup right away.

Of course, Christain started all 112 games in his last three seasons (he did miss one game in 1992 with an injury). But as a freshman in 1989, he came off the bench in 20 of his first 27 games -- only for the last nine games was he a permanent starter.

I think the two-year limit on this question is fair, but the fact is, I can't find a one or two year player who started every game. Luol Deng is the one everybopdy mentions, but he started just 32 of 37 games as a freshman in 2004. Corey Maggette only started a handful of games in the ACC Tournament when Trajan was hurt in 1999. I can't think of another one (or two) year player that started right away.

JasonEvans
08-28-2010, 11:46 AM
I can't think of another one (or two) year player that started right away.

Mark it down-- the day Jason thought of something that eluded Oly Fan!!!!!

Elton Brand.

He was a starter from day one of his freshman year though he only ended up starting 55 of his 60 games as a Devil.

--Jason "no one thinks of Brand because K famously benched him in December of his soph season to light a fire under his butt ;) " Evans

basket1544
08-28-2010, 09:23 PM

No need, those are the only 4 players to start every game.

I assume you mean Bobby Hurley.

He didn't start Christian Laettner's jersey retirement game in Cameron against Virginia on Feb. 26, 1992.

If you remember, Bobby broke his foot late in the first half of the game in Chapel Hill early that month. He played the rest of that game, but sat out then next eight games. Grant moved over to the point and Tony Lang took Grant's forward spot for those eight games as Duke went 7-1 (including a win at LSU over Shaq).

Thanks! That had been bugging me.

Olympic Fan
08-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Mark it down-- the day Jason thought of something that eluded Oly Fan!!!!!

Elton Brand.

He was a starter from day one of his freshman year though he only ended up starting 55 of his 60 games as a Devil.

--Jason "no one thinks of Brand because K famously benched him in December of his soph season to light a fire under his butt ;) " Evans

Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. I can think of several freshmen who started right away -- but (what I was trying -- and failing to express -- but failed to stay in the starting lineup. For instance, Jon Scheyer started his first 24 games at Duke (then later came off the bench as a sixth man as a sophomore). Cherokee Parks started his first game at Duke (when Laettner missed his only game in the 1991-92 opener). Shane Battier started his first 10 games at Duke (then came off the bench for the next 12). Trajan Langdon started his first game.

Great trivia -- the 1982-83 Blue Devils started three freshmen -- two of them, Dawkins and Alarie would start ever6y game for four years. The third would start just one more game inj his career. I was shocked to see that neither David Henderson nor Jay Bilas started their first game that season (the both moved into the starting lineup in Game 2). No, the third freshman starter in the opener was Bill Jackman.

Danny Ferry also had an interesting freshman year. He started his first 21 games (while Bilas was recovering from an injury), then came off the bench for the last 19 games that season. He started every game for the next three years.

I'm pretty sure that basket1544 is right -- just four players started every game of their career -- for the Krzyzewski era. Several three-year starters for Bubas and several for Foster started every game of their varsity career.

PS before the December benching in his sophomore season, Brand actually came off the bench for three games late his freshman year as he was coming back from his broken foot.

77devil
08-29-2010, 07:53 AM

No need, those are the only 4 players to start every game.

My comment was forward looking. I'm sure we'd all like to see Kyrie start every game for 2 seasons.

basket1544
08-29-2010, 08:09 AM
My comment was forward looking. I'm sure we'd all like to see Kyrie start every game for 2 seasons.

Right now the way everyone is talking about Kyrie, I'd love to see him in a Duke uniform for 2 seasons. As for starting every game... I trust Coach K to decide that but I would suspect so.

jimsumner
08-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Name the Duke player who scored in double figures in every one of his Duke games.

And yes, he meets the two-year minimum.

jimsumner
08-29-2010, 01:45 PM
"He didn't start Christian Laettner's jersey retirement game in Cameron against Virginia on Feb. 26, 1992.

Hurley made his comeback in the home game with Virginia. He came off the bench and played 26 minutes. He only scored four points, but he had nine assists"

Interestingly enough, Kenny Blakeney started that game against Virginia. It was the first game Grant missed. High ankle sprain, IIRC. Blakeney, THill, Davis, Lang, Laettner.

Bill Jackman was an interesting case. Had a very impressive game in an exhibition game against the French national team, IIRC. Something like 15 points, 4 or 6 boards, some assists. Looked poised, skilled, mature. A keeper.

So, he gets the start against ECU in the opener. Deer in headlights. He's awful, Duke's awful. Duke falls way behind. At home. To ECU.

K tries Doug McNeely. Not much improvement. Then David Henderson comes in. About 15 seconds after hitting the floor, Henderson is hitting the floor for real, diving for a loose ball. The dent may still be there. He's throwing himself all over the place. Not much finesse but hustle and determination coming out of every pore.

Henderson didn't have a great stat line but Duke came back to win that game and he was a big reason why.

From that point on, Jackman's star was falling, Henderson's was rising. Jackman lasted the season, not playing much by the end. He was from a small town in Nebraska and apparently fell prey to some serious home-sickness. Transferred back to Nebraska, where he had a decent career.

An intriguing might-have-been.

Indoor66
08-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Name the Duke player who scored in double figures in every one of his Duke games.

Groat?

basket1544
08-29-2010, 03:11 PM

Heyman I believe.

jimsumner
08-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Okay, it's been long enough.

Jeff Mullins scored in double figures in all 86 of the varsity games he played at Duke.

Bob Green
08-29-2010, 04:52 PM

I'm going to go look it up but first I'll offer a guess: Jeff Mullins.

Bob Green
08-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Okay, it's been long enough.

Jeff Mullins scored in double figures in all 86 of the varsity games he played at Duke.

I see I was late in answering the trivia question. That's what happens when you respond to a post without reading the rest of the thread. I remembered reading about Mullins' scoring in double figures in every game in Al Featherston's book Game of My Life.

JBDuke
08-30-2010, 01:26 AM
We're all in trouble if Sumner and Oly want to start playing Duke trivia. Maybe if we can get Featherston in here, he'll be able to keep up...

NSDukeFan
08-30-2010, 07:39 AM
We're all in trouble if Sumner and Oly want to start playing Duke trivia. Maybe if we can get Featherston in here, he'll be able to keep up...

Part of the fun of this site is when Sumner and Oly start playing Duke trivia. I have learned a lot about Duke and ACC basketball since I have started coming here from them (and many others.)

nocilla
08-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Just a thought, but Mason Plumlee was expected to start as a freshman until he broke his wrist. I wonder if that had not happened how it would have changed the progression of Duke's frontcourt that ultimately ended with Lance and Zoubs leading the way they did?

JasonEvans
08-30-2010, 11:12 AM

Whew, Oly versus Featherstone in trivia would be a real barn-burner. I cannot foresee how there would be a winner.

I don't even want to think of what it would be like if you threw Sumner into the mix.

-Jason "bowing down to the greats" Evans