PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke vs. Alabama Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

banjeaux
08-21-2010, 10:03 AM
and Bryant in theirs.

When Alabama comes to Duke, September 18th, will a future coaching legend will be walking the the Crimson Tide sideline? I think so. Perceptions, by the sports world, of Coach Saban are changing, since he has rebuilt Alabama's program, in such a short time. Late in his second year, he had us to #1 in the polls. Don't miss this game! Alabama at Duke's Wallace Wade equals history. As Dizzy Dean might say, "Don't fail to miss it!" :D

Will documentary become 'Nick Saban: Image-changer'?

Link: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/08/will_documentary_become_nick_s.html

Lord Ash
08-21-2010, 10:29 AM
and Bryant in theirs.

When Alabama comes to Duke, September 18th, will a future coaching legend will be walking the the Crimson Tide sideline? I think so. Perceptions, by the sports world, of Coach Saban are changing, since he has rebuilt Alabama's program, in such a short time. Late in his second year, he had us to #1 in the polls. Don't miss this game! Alabama at Duke's Wallace Wade equals history. As Dizzy Dean might say, "Don't fail to miss it!" :D

Who is this "us" you speak of?

See, this is where post counts are nice;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-21-2010, 11:08 AM
and Bryant in theirs.

Link: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/08/will_documentary_become_nick_s.html

I can see that we're going to have some great conversation before the game on September 18! Thank you for reminding the members here about what a great coach Wallace Wade was. Few of us were around to witness his accomplishments at Duke, let alone those at Alabama. The passing of time has dimmed that part of Duke's proud football history.

I enjoyed watching football during the time Nick Saban spent at LSU. Love him or hate him, he does have the look of a legend in the making. I also think that David Cutclliffe is on that same path, but his legacy will take a bit longer to develop.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-21-2010, 12:31 PM

Banjeaux has shared some excellent posts on other threads ranging from information about Chris Duhon's recent wedding to anticipation of the Alabama game. He's a lifelong Alabama fan who's got some great history to share with us not only because of the shared history (Wallace Wade), but also because of the work underway to return our football program to a higher level more in keeping with the overall goals of the university.

banjeaux
08-21-2010, 12:58 PM
:o

Okay. Since my user name wasn't enough of a give-away, I'll try again. The Associated Press has "us" pre-season #1. The following link should clear up the "us" question. :o

Tide starts where it finished: No. 1 - College - NewsObserver.com

Lord Ash
08-21-2010, 01:04 PM
I got it; was just poking fun at the "us" on a Duke board:)

banjeaux
08-22-2010, 02:57 PM
One afternoon toward the end of his coaching career, Paul “Bear” Bryant climbed down from his tower overlooking the Alabama practice field, warmly greeted an elderly gentleman, and called his entire team to attention.

“This man standing here is responsible for the great tradition of Alabama football,” Bryant told his players, who hung on every word as he draped his arm around Wallace Wade.

It was a bit like Neil Armstrong introducing Christopher Columbus to the crew at Mission Control.

I hope you enjoy complete article. Link: http://www.crimsonreplay.com/bp.php?pg=1

Lord Ash
08-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Fun read. Should these maybe be in the Duke-Alabama thread?

banjeaux
08-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Fun read. Should these maybe be in the Duke-Alabama thread?

Perhaps, Lord Ash. :o Coach Wade was intended to be the star. Would this article on a great coach and his historic legacy be buried in another thread? My attempt was to share the Alabama connection to Coach Wade. :cool:

I doubt, I have capacity to make such a mover. If moderators choose, yes, by all means, move it. It is not my intention to hog the board. :cool:

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Perhaps, Lord Ash. :o Coach Wade was intended to be the star. Would this article on a great coach and his historic legacy be buried in another thread? My attempt was to share the Alabama connection to Coach Wade. :cool:

I doubt, I have capacity to make such a mover. If moderators choose, yes, by all means, move it. It is not my intention to hog the board. :cool:

You are very gracious in sharing such history with us and also perhaps reminding us of our own connections with a great coach. I think you are correct that this historical insight might be lost in another thread. :cool:

4decadedukie
08-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Once again, I thank you not only for your posting's contents, but also for your civility and perceptiveness.

Cobbeth
08-26-2010, 10:56 AM
I heard over the radio that there are some awesome t-shirts being sold for this game. Can anyone shoot me a link so I can get my hands on one? Thanks

banjeaux
09-12-2010, 01:33 AM
Link to article posted just one hour ago.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/09/notes_next_stop_for_no_1_tide.html

I look forward to meeting Duke fans and enjoying a good ball game next week.

banjeaux
09-12-2010, 01:53 AM
I got it; was just poking fun at the "us" on a Duke board:)

Yes, I see the humor, Lord Ash. Oh, that reminds me of a story.

Today, former FSU Coach Bobby Bowden, a long time Crimson Tide fan, attended the Penn State game at Alabama's Bryant-Denny Stadium. This fulfilled a wish he had expressed, before his retirement. Likely, it was bucket list item. When he first mentioned going to a game at Bama, his comments included, "I hope we aren't playing Florida State." He got both wishes.

JBDuke
09-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Here's a link to an older thread that announced the news about the scheduling of this game, and it includes a post from banjeaux about his plans to attend next weekend:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?9292-Duke-Alabama-Football-At-Wallace-Wade

I've closed that older thread, as this one will be the repository for discussions about the game from now until the game is complete, so if you want to reply to any post there, please do it here. You can, of course, link to any post in that thread if you need to as a reference.

roywhite
09-12-2010, 07:58 AM
As a big Penn State fan, I watched Alabama handle them in very impressive fashion last night. Alabama has an outstanding team, better than I realized.

Specifically, the player that caused Penn State the most trouble was Tailback Trent Richardson, who gained 144 yards. He is just unbelievably strong (he was a powerlifting champion in Florida, and reportedly bench presses 460#) and also elusive. Richardson shredded what I thought was a good Penn State defense, constantly breaking tackles and carrying defenders for extra yards. Since defense is not the strong point of Duke's team, I'm afraid Alabama's power running attack with Richardson will be unstoppable. Returning Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram is coming off an injury and did not play against Penn State; don't know if he will be ready to go against Duke.

Defensively, Alabama is very good also. Penn State had some limited success passing, and Duke may be able to move the ball behind Sean Renfree's accurate throws. The big "if" here is pass protection, which will be a challenge.

After watching Alabama closely, I'm a believer. They should challenge for another national championship.

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2010, 10:23 AM
At the very least it will be one hell of a tailgate. Both tents to either side of ours are bringing a whole pig, and since we'll be surrounded by pork we're going with 2 full standing rib roasts.
The football should be interesting too, but if it gets ugly the party continues in the parking lot. I'm really looking forward to this game, I've never seen a team of Alabama's caliber in person. Even if it means a total drubbing (I do expect our team to show up well and surprise by the way) I will enjoy seeing that much talent on the field.

mattman91
09-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Were gonna get murdered. Just sayin.

Bob Green
09-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Penn State had some limited success passing, and Duke may be able to move the ball behind Sean Renfree's accurate throws. The big "if" here is pass protection, which will be a challenge.

I'm confident we will be able to pass the ball and score some points. Coach Cutcliffe will devise a game plan to take advantage of our strengths on offense. The big question is can we slow 'Bama down. Let's be real folks, we are not going to stop the Crimson Tide so we are going to have to outscore them to win. I'm not conceding this game.

Olympic Fan
09-12-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm confident we will be able to pass the ball and score some points. Coach Cutcliffe will devise a game plan to take advantage of our strengths on offense. The big question is can we slow 'Bama down. Let's be real folks, we are not going to stop the Crimson Tide so we are going to have to outscore them to win. I'm not conceding this game.

Well, I never thought Virginia would take Southern Cal to the wire last night -- and they should have beaten the Trojans.

That said, I'm as optimistic as anybody on this board, but I find it hard to conceive of a scenario where Duke upsets Alabama.

My concern is that our defense simply won't be able to stop and slow down the 'Bama offense. We're not strong enough up front. The athletes we have at LB and DB who are physically good enough to play with them, simply don't have the experience yet.

I will be interested to see how well the Duke offense performs against the Alabama defense. After watching both the Duke-Wake and Alabama-Penn State game Saturday, I honest believe we have a better passing game than Penn State. I will be curious to see if the Renfree to Vernon/Varner combo can do anything against the Tide ... I think they will. I'm less confident that our slightly improved running game will hurt them.

I guess my overall outlook is that Alabama will be able to name their own point total. If Duke is wildly successful on offense and scores, say, 30 points -- that won't be near enough. It would take about a half-million Alabama turnovers to make this game competitive.

Two factors to consider -- You KNOW that Alabama will have some kind of a letdown after their big, nationally televised beatdown of Penn State. How can they take Duke seriously?

On the other hand, Alabama has to win impressively enough to keep the voters off their back and to remain high in the computer polls.

Oh, yes, one added factor. I heard somebody suggest Saturday that Alabama might take it easy on Cutcliffe because "he's one of their own." I don't buy that for a second -- he's not one of Saban's "own."

Anyway, I'll be there and I'll be hoping to be proven wrong, but I can't see anything other than an easy Alabama win. Optimistically, I'd say 48-24 ... realistically, 55-17 ... but pessimistically, I know it could be a lot worse.

PS Expect to read and see a lot of speculation about Mark Ingram's return. I hope he plays ... but the fact is, Richardson is enough of a load.

killerleft
09-12-2010, 12:01 PM

I'm with you, Bob. Opportunities like this don't come around very often. The butterflies will be fluttering around in my tummy as gametime approaches.

The Duke players and coaches will step on the field believing they can win this game, and we should (if at all possible) be there in person to cheer them on. I'll add a few Devil Yells for all you Devils in foreign lands!

Go Duke!

OldPhiKap
09-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Banjeaux, good to see you over here.

Regarding Alabama -- no doubt that they are the real deal. I think for us, the best defense is a good offense. IF we can keep scoring and keep it close as we get down the wire, we may sneak away with a miracle. Either way, though, this is a great opportunity to have a world-class team come to our place. We may not like what we see from the measuring stick by the end, but Cut's an old SEC guy and he knows -- if you're gonna be competitive nationally, you have to play the big boys and not back down.

Hope to see you at the game, banjeaux. -- OPK

johnb
09-12-2010, 02:52 PM
It'd be the shock of the season if we bear Alabama, but a) how could Bama not be overconfident, and b) how could we not be a more reasonable pick than James Madison was against Tech?

OldPhiKap
09-12-2010, 03:21 PM
It'd be the shock of the season if we bear Alabama, but a) how could Bama not be overconfident, and b) how could we not be a more reasonable pick than James Madison was against Tech?

JMU, I believe is a historically good team. Frankly, I'm surprised that VT scheduled this because it is a real no-win situation for them.

Bob Green
09-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Alabama has opened as a 23 point favorite:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

6th Man
09-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Alabama has opened as a 23 point favorite:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

I need to find the over/under. The over/under was 52 for Duke-Wake. I laughed so hard at that. Easiest betting line I have ever seen. They had 70 combined at halftime.

chrisheery
09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
After watching Alabama treat Penn State (PENN STATE mind you) like a bunch of children, I am actually more scared for the safety of our players than anything else. I hope we can score some points, not get seriously injured by their incredibly huge and fast group of studs, and learn something for the future. When you compare the amount of football players recruited compared to basketball, and then realize how few schools get the really top tier guys, this is the equivalent of Virginia versus Chaminade. I hope we can do what Chaminade did, but that was once in a lifetime for a reason.

CameronBlue
09-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I wonder if a win over Bama would be considered a bigger upset than Duke's 9-3 shocker of Stanford back in 1972 (71?). Every generation or so we should be good for one of those.

JohnGalt
09-13-2010, 06:53 AM
reportedly bench presses 460#

Not only that, he said the trainer stopped him there. He obviously feels he can bench more. I already can't wait for the 225lb bench test at the Combine. 30+ times, maybe?

After watching Alabama closely, I'm a believer. They should challenge for another national championship.

With the apparent state of the SEC this year, they have a legitimate shot at going undefeated again, as well. Running the table once in the SEC is impressive, but twice? I'd be willing to bet that's never happened.

Not so fast though! 10/9 they gotta come to Williams-Brice. ;)

JasonEvans
09-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Expect to read and see a lot of speculation about Mark Ingram's return. I hope he plays ... but the fact is, Richardson is enough of a load.

I will be pulling for the upset but Duke may be going up against the best rushing team in the nation this week and rush defense is perhaps our biggest weakness. Yikes!

Folks talking about various wagers-- what is the over/under on 'Bama rushing yardage this week? 250?

--Jason "I have looked but have not yet seen a points over/under on this game yet" Evans

Olympic Fan
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I wonder if a win over Bama would be considered a bigger upset than Duke's 9-3 shocker of Stanford back in 1972 (71?). Every generation or so we should be good for one of those.

The only way that would compare is that this one is at home and that one was on the road. But Alabama 2010 is a MUCH better team than Stanford 1971 -- Alabama will come to Wade as No. 1 ... Stanford was No. 10 that day in Palo Alto -- a 9-3 win when Ernie Jackson returned a Don Bunce interception for a touchdown.

For the record, it would be the biggest upset in Duke history in the sense that Duke has NEVER beaten a team ranked No. 1.

Right now, the two biggest wins in Duke history (in terms of rankings) were over No. 4 Pitt in 1938 (the famous Eric Tipton game) and over No. 4 Navy in 1960 (when Duke shut down Joe Bellino in his Heisman year).

Duke has just one top 10 win since that Stanford victory in '71 -- a 1989 upset of No. 7 Clemson (Spurrier's million-to-one game). We haven't beaten a ranked team, since Duke beat No. 13 Virginia in Goldsmith's first year (1994).

If it happens -- and as I posted earlier, I can't imagine that it will -- a Duke victory over Alabama would clearly and easily be the greatest upset in Duke football history.

JasonEvans
09-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Not to be pessimistic... but to be a bit realistic... what would be a "victory" for us this week?

If we cover the spread (22 or 23 points)?
If we "only" lost by 2 TDs? What about less than 10 points?
If the game was still at least mildly in doubt at halftime, say less than 7 points?

I'd love for it to be at least a little bit of a game coming into the 4th quarter -- like if we were down 10 or so with the ball in our hands. It would be really cool if we scored in the 3rd or 4th quarter and made it a less than 1 TD game. Get some folks at ESPN and elsewhere to pay attention to the game and maybe show a Duke play or two in their highlights later that evening.

That would be a "win" if you ask me.

--Jason "is this too pessimistic? Should we be talking like we have a chance to win?" Evans

watzone
09-13-2010, 11:58 AM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/cutcliffe-recaps-the-wake-game-and-talks-alabama/ Coach Cut talks Alabama in this 30 minute Q & A session on his dealings with the media on Sunday. I had a phone glitch which prevented me from asking my ususal q's.

muzikfrk75
09-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Not to be pessimistic... but to be a bit realistic... what would be a "victory" for us this week?

If the game was still at least mildly in doubt at halftime, say less than 7 points?

I'd love for it to be at least a little bit of a game coming into the 4th quarter -- like if we were down 10 or so with the ball in our hands. It would be really cool if we scored in the 3rd or 4th quarter and made it a less than 1 TD game. Get some folks at ESPN and elsewhere to pay attention to the game and maybe show a Duke play or two in their highlights later that evening.

--Jason "is this too pessimistic? Should we be talking like we have a chance to win?" Evans

To me, covering the spread would be a 'victory'. A co-worker (who is a ND fan) is actually giving us a fighting chance. He thinks that we'll be able to score some points against Bama...but their defense is SLIGHTLY better than Elon's or Wake's...lol...we shall see Saturday.

Am I to assume that tickets are sold out?

94duke
09-13-2010, 03:09 PM
To me, covering the spread would be a 'victory'. A co-worker (who is a ND fan) is actually giving us a fighting chance. He thinks that we'll be able to score some points against Bama...but their defense is SLIGHTLY better than Elon's or Wake's...lol...we shall see Saturday.

Looks like tickets might still be available for the end-zone (temporary?) bleachers ($75 each).
I did not login to check.
https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketHome.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&_MODE_=PERFORMERCATEGORY&SALE_TKT_PERFORMER_ID=15467&SALE_TKT_SALE_CATEGORIES_ID=7302

calltheobvious
09-13-2010, 05:50 PM

I will call this a victory if our guys don't come out looking scared. Penn State (!) came out Saturday night looking completely intimidated. In the first 20 minutes of that game Alabama dominated them physically far beyond what the talent/athleticism gap would have suggested. Once PSU got over the fear factor, they were actually able to compete for a while. (That said, if anyone other than Joe Paterno had been coaching that team, Saban would have hung up 50.)

If there's anything that sets up well for Duke here it's Alabama's schedule over the next four weeks. After being at a fever-pitch emotionally two nights ago, Alabama goes to Duke, then to Arkansas, then they host Florida before finishing the tough five-week stretch at South Carolina. There's no way they get up much for this game. That and the rest Saban will look to get his guys for the next three weeks should be enough to keep things "respectable."

6th Man
09-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the link to the call Watzone. I love listening to Coach Cutcliffe talk football. It will be interesting to see if our offense can have a few good drives in the game. I personally think this is our best offense since the Spurrier days. No better test than to try it on the Alabama defense. Looking forward to being in Wallace Wade on Saturday!

Devilsfan
09-13-2010, 09:31 PM
A friend of my at lunch today asked me if I was going to the "Yom Kippur War II". He said we are just as outnumbered and over matched but we know when and the enemy is going to attack so we have an advantage other than just being much smarter. Thought that was an unique analogy.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2010, 09:41 PM
A friend of my at lunch today asked me if I was going to the "Yom Kippur War II". He said we are just as outnumbered and over matched but we know when and the enemy is going to attack so we have an advantage other than just being much smarter. Thought that was an unique analogy.

As long as he didn't compare it to a bris milôh, I guess we're okay . . . .

Skin 'em, Duke!!!

OldPhiKap
09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
BTW, attached is a transcript of Nick Saban's recent press conference in which, amongst other things, he talks about Duke's offense, Coach Cut, our defense, and even reading Coach K's book. This is courtesy of RollTide.com, which I recommend for anyone (such as myself) who likes or respects Alabama Football and Coach Saban.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091310aaa.html

He is very complimentary of K and Cut, and also explains what he is looking for in the upcoming game. My understanding of Saban, from folks on the inside, is that he works 7/24/365.25 and doesn't understands why you don't. I will admit to being a big fan, although it would be nice to disappoint him this weekend.

DevilHorns
09-13-2010, 11:31 PM
BTW, attached is a transcript of Nick Saban's recent press conference in which, amongst other things, he talks about Duke's offense, Coach Cut, our defense, and even reading Coach K's book. This is courtesy of RollTide.com, which I recommend for anyone (such as myself) who likes or respects Alabama Football and Coach Saban.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091310aaa.html

He is very complimentary of K and Cut, and also explains what he is looking for in the upcoming game. My understanding of Saban, from folks on the inside, is that he works 7/24/365.25 and doesn't understands why you don't. I will admit to being a big fan, although it would be nice to disappoint him this weekend.

I have a healthy dislike for Nick Saban.

As a Miami Dolphins fan, he flat out ditched the team his second year while repeatedly telling the team/fans that he had no interest in the Bama job. I think it took him less than a week after the season ended to perform that 180 degree flip to return to the college game. It took him a full 2 years to come around and apologize to the the Dolphins organization. Yup, 2 years.

And for anybody who watched the title game last year, I think Saban showed absolutely no class in pursuing another score with a minute and a half left in the game up 10. There was no way texas could've mounted any threat at that point. I guess he didn't want those doubters out there speculating what could've (would've) happened if Colt had not of gone down. One thing I will always remember from that game was Colt interviewed afterwards. What a class-act. Not a longhorn fan here by any stretch, but I really hope Colt gets a starting QB chance in the near future. Would absolutely love to see him succeed.

Oh Nick Saban, how much I would love for my Devils to beat you.

VAGentleman05
09-14-2010, 01:13 AM
I just bought my tickets for Saturday's game (there are some decent deals to be had on ebay, by the way--mine were about $10 apiece under face value). Very excited to be back in Durham and to hope for a miracle!

CameronBlue
09-14-2010, 02:40 AM
The only way that would compare is that this one is at home and that one was on the road. But Alabama 2010 is a MUCH better team than Stanford 1971 -- Alabama will come to Wade as No. 1 ... Stanford was No. 10 that day in Palo Alto -- a 9-3 win when Ernie Jackson returned a Don Bunce interception for a touchdown.

For the record, it would be the biggest upset in Duke history in the sense that Duke has NEVER beaten a team ranked No. 1.

Right now, the two biggest wins in Duke history (in terms of rankings) were over No. 4 Pitt in 1938 (the famous Eric Tipton game) and over No. 4 Navy in 1960 (when Duke shut down Joe Bellino in his Heisman year).

Duke has just one top 10 win since that Stanford victory in '71 -- a 1989 upset of No. 7 Clemson (Spurrier's million-to-one game). We haven't beaten a ranked team, since Duke beat No. 13 Virginia in Goldsmith's first year (1994).

If it happens -- and as I posted earlier, I can't imagine that it will -- a Duke victory over Alabama would clearly and easily be the greatest upset in Duke football history.

True but the story of that game was not Stanford's ranking but rather the adversity Duke faced leading up to the game which included replacing both the starting tallback and the starting QB. I think there was a thread on this topic a year or so ago but Duke was without the services of Steve Jones and was forced to play several guys, Jackson, Rich Searl (QB and free safety) and one or two others on both sides of the ball conjuring up memories of Duke 38 and single platoon football. The David vs Goliath angle seemed to dominate coverage of the game. While it was the 38 team that gave birth to the Iron Duke moniker it was the strong defensive teams of the early 70s that rekindled popular usage of the term which proved to be a marketable brand for the recently formed athletic fundraising organization. While I agree that an upset over Bama would be Duke's greatest moment on the field, of the 71 Stanford victory it can be fairly stated that it generated a lot momentum for fundraising when the athletic budget needed it badly.

watzone
09-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Check out this very in depth statistical breakdown to date by Bob Green - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/taking-a-look-at-early-season-statistics/

CameronBornAndBred
09-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Good article / interview up on WRAL.com.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/8287881/

Cutcliffe is preparing the team to win, not just to show up and play hard. I know a lot of us fans are fearing the worst, but Coach Cut is not allowing his players to have the same thoughts.

When asked if there is a scenario where he would be pleased with his team without victory he quickly responded, "I don't like to lose."

I love his attitude and truly think he has this team believing they can get it done. I think a large key to the game will be how well we play the first half. I think he has the depth now to stay with anyone for four quarters, unlike the past when we were really only good for 3 if the game was a cat and mouse event. If we are remotely close at halftime, the confidence those guys go into the locker room with will be huge. The reverse can be true if we go down by a significant score...they may come back out of the tunnel mentally beat. At least when they come out on the field for kickoff, they will have a winner's attitude. GO DUKE!!!

banjeaux
09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Looks like some folks are going to get an unbelievable deal.

Atldukie79
09-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Most know of the Alabama/ Duke connection through Wallace Wade. While Wade was an icon to Duke in the 30's, 40's and 50's (not unlike Coach K for the past 3 decades), he was clearly overshadowed by Bear Bryant in Alabama. However, he was able to win national championships at Alabama where they idolize their football coaches (who win) and reward them with statues , street names (Wade has both at 'Bama) and attention.

For those interested in knowing more about Wallace Wade, I recommend the book of the same name by Lewis Bowling. While Lewis is a Durham resident and Blue Devil fan (he writes for GoDuke) he has received intense interest in Alabama where he is speaking to many 'Bama touchdown clubs this week and is featured in many of the newspapers there.

He has stopped by Blue Devil Alley in the past and discussed this topic before. The Duke bookstore and Amazon carry the book. Great for historical perspective, particularly this week!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Most know of the Alabama/ Duke connection through Wallace Wade. While Wade was an icon to Duke in the 30's, 40's and 50's (not unlike Coach K for the past 3 decades), he was clearly overshadowed by Bear Bryant in Alabama. However, he was able to win national championships at Alabama where they idolize their football coaches (who win) and reward them with statues , street names (Wade has both at 'Bama) and attention.

For those interested in knowing more about Wallace Wade, I recommend the book of the same name by Lewis Bowling. While Lewis is a Durham resident and Blue Devil fan (he writes for GoDuke) he has received intense interest in Alabama where he is speaking to many 'Bama touchdown clubs this week and is featured in many of the newspapers there.

He has stopped by Blue Devil Alley in the past and discussed this topic before. The Duke bookstore and Amazon carry the book. Great for historical perspective, particularly this week!

I second this recommendation. You'll have new respect for Duke's football tradition when you finish it.

Lewis's book about Wallace Wade is in the second edition which now features forewords by Al Beuhler and David Cutcliffe. If you love football, you'll appreciate the detailed accounts of many games. It's an eye opener how many things successful coaches do today that were started or developed by Wallace Wade. You may also be surprised by the who's who in the Wallace Wade coaching tree.

CameronBornAndBred
09-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Long long ago, when I was a kid, my dad took me out to Wallace Wade's farm to meet and talk with him. (Not me, my dad). I wish I remembered it. It's a great story; unfortunately my dad won't be there for the game. He will be there for others though, so be sure to stop by our tent and ask him about it. He actually went to talk to Coach Wade about Duke basketball and our coaching situation (it was McGeachy that year). Duke AD Carl James wouldn't even talk to McGeachy about whether he would be the coach the following year, so my dad went to talk to Wade about how the two could get on the same page.
Anyways...it's a tale my dad has to tell. I wish I remembered meeting WW. It fascinates me that our two schools are tied together by one coach, who had such success at both.

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Ahhh, moral victories. Gotta love em.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Ahhh, moral victories. Gotta love em.

Agreed. Victory means that we win the game. Absent that, we can only hope that the players grow from the experience and raise their level of play going forward.

There is a difference between what effort will make me proud, and what I would consider a "victory." I will be proud if we execute to the best of our abilities, and I will be happy if we do not have serious injury. But it's either a win or a loss. If we drop to 1-2, we have to get back to work to win at least 5 more games on the schedule. If we win, we tear down the goalposts.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!

left_hook_lacey
09-15-2010, 12:01 PM
My biggest concern here is our O-line's ability to protect Renfree. He took some big shots against Wake that had me holding my breath. He showed great toughness by coming back in the game and throwing a TD on that same drive, but he's only human, he can't take those kind of hits from Bama for 4 quarters. I hope we have a good showing against Bama as Jason Evans mentioned, but I'm more concerned with the rest of our ACC season.

If we have it relatively close enough to get a Duke highlight on ESPN during the in-game highlight reels, I'm happy. But I'm really concerned that Bama will be able to tee off on Renfree.

Bob Green
09-15-2010, 01:09 PM
My biggest concern here is our O-line's ability to protect Renfree. He took some big shots against Wake that had me holding my breath.

Our offensive line is a strength this season especially in regard to pass protection. As far as the hits taken in the Wake game, quarterbacks get hit and have to be able to take it. That's part of football. Renfree is a trooper and I'm confident the OL will give him time to throw the ball.

What concerns me is running the ball. We will have to run the ball against Alabama to ensure they don't pin their ears back and come all out at Renfree every play. The good news is we ran the ball for 129 yards against Wake Forest who has a higher ranked run defense (36) than Alabama (46).

If we can establish a running game, it will set Renfree and our outstanding receivers up for success. Desmond Scott needs to have a successful afternoon for Duke to have a shot at beating Alabama. I know that is easier said than done but we have to be confident. Or, more accurately stated, the team has to be confident.

4decadedukie
09-15-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/09/15/saban-heisman-winner-mark-ingram-ready-duke/

Not that I ever doubted it, but Alabama Coach Nick Saban indicates Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram is "ready to go" after missing the Tide's first games, due to surgery on his left knee.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-15-2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/09/15/saban-heisman-winner-mark-ingram-ready-duke/

Not that I ever doubted it, but Alabama Coach Nick Saban indicates Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram is "ready to go" after missing the Tide's first games, due to surgery on his left knee.
This development has pretty much been expected. He's done well in rehab, but the first game after such a procedure presents come unknowns. No matter what, Coach Saban will want to protect Mark so that he can play as well as possible against Texas next weekend.

GLTBD
09-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Any sightings of the Tide's fans rolling in?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-15-2010, 02:38 PM
The RV lots for Alabama fans open at noon tomorrow. They are known to push the stated limits for such matters as when to arrive and where to park.

roywhite
09-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Our offensive line is a strength this season especially in regard to pass protection. As far as the hits taken in the Wake game, quarterbacks get hit and have to be able to take it. That's part of football. Renfree is a trooper and I'm confident the OL will give him time to throw the ball.

What concerns me is running the ball. We will have to run the ball against Alabama to ensure they don't pin their ears back and come all out at Renfree every play. The good news is we ran the ball for 129 yards against Wake Forest who has a higher ranked run defense (36) than Alabama (46).

If we can establish a running game, it will set Renfree and our outstanding receivers up for success. Desmond Scott needs to have a successful afternoon for Duke to have a shot at beating Alabama. I know that is easier said than done but we have to be confident. Or, more accurately stated, the team has to be confident.

I think Duke can move the ball and score some points.

The most unfavorable matchup is Alabama's power running game versus our defensive front. Running back Trent Richardson may be the most powerful running back I've seen in college football in quite a while; he bowls over would-be tacklers, breaks tackles, and carries opponents for extra yardage. He operates behind a big, fast, talented offensive line.

Of course, the "other" running back is Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram.

Bob Green
09-15-2010, 03:47 PM
The most unfavorable matchup is Alabama's power running game versus our defensive front.

I agree with you completely. I should have prefaced my concern with the descriptor offfensive. Our defense will have their hands full handling Richardson, Ingram and that big offensive line.

duke79
09-15-2010, 04:01 PM
What do people think the final score will be in the game? I'm going out on a limb and predicting Duke 31 Alabama 28 (always nice to fantasize, eh?) I realize Alabama is a 24 point favorite at this point. I think if Duke loses by 14 or less, it will be a "moral victory." I just hope it is NOT a total blowout by Alabama. I think Coach Sabin has enough class and enough respect for Coach Cutcliffe and for the whole Wallace Wade/Alabama/Duke tradition to NOT run up the score too much, if the game gets out of hand early against Duke.

A-Tex Devil
09-15-2010, 04:02 PM
PAIN!!

... for Greg McElroy --- the luckiest QB in America.

A-Tex Devil
09-15-2010, 04:04 PM
PAIN!!

... for Greg McElroy --- the luckiest QB in America.

Edited to add.... Saban will score as much as we let him. I mean, he didn't HAVE to score that last TD in the national championship game, but he did...

A-Tex Devil
09-15-2010, 04:19 PM
After watching Duke last week and 'Bama several times last year, I will concur with the sane ones here that a victory is very very unlikely.

But if we are to have a shot, here is what we'll need:

1. ZERO turnovers. Obv.... If we turn it over a couple of times in the first half, we are done.

2. Force turnovers -- whether it's some lucky miscues from 'Bama or good play by our D, we HAVE to create big plays. I think our defense is capable of that, but the risk is giving up the big play when it whiffs, which is what happened last week. Still -- I want to see timely (but not stupid) jailbreaks on second and third and longs, run blitzes on first down, etc. etc.

3. Force Greg McElroy and Julio Jones to beat us. Easier said then done, but we HAVE TO play 7-8 in the box and hope our corners and safeties can hold their own. Julio Jones is phenomenal. But guess what --- Greg McElroy is not. He's born on third base and thinks he hit a triple with this national championship and running game to support him. If we can't cheat a safety to the line and hold their running game down, creating 3rd and longs, it will get ugly.... fast.... Our D will have to combine the need for big plays (see #2) with a bend but don't break attitude, and create lots and lots of third downs that 'Bama has to convert. More 3rd downs makes it harder to sustain drives.

4. Go balls out on offense. I don't want to see any of this Ted Roof/Carl Franks "Let's just try not get blown out too badly" <expletive> rubbing. There is no reason to hold anything back. I'd rather get beat 63-14 knowing we pulled out all the stops than 30-3 playing to keep 'Bama's score down. 'Bama's defense is immensely talented, but inexperienced. I hope Cutcliffe found some potential weaknesses in the Penn State tape.

Edited to add -- Mark Ingram in the game is good. It means less Trent Richardson.

Go Devils.

tommy
09-15-2010, 04:24 PM
What do people think the final score will be in the game? I'm going out on a limb and predicting Duke 31 Alabama 28 (always nice to fantasize, eh?) I realize Alabama is a 24 point favorite at this point. I think if Duke loses by 14 or less, it will be a "moral victory." I just hope it is NOT a total blowout by Alabama. I think Coach Sabin has enough class and enough respect for Coach Cutcliffe and for the whole Wallace Wade/Alabama/Duke tradition to NOT run up the score too much, if the game gets out of hand early against Duke.

If there's one thing that I don't think Nick Saban has ever been accused of, it's having enough class.

CameronBornAndBred
09-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Duke will have 27. I have no idea what 'Bama will have, but since I'm an optimist I'll give them 24 and the win for the Devils. :cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
09-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Duke 41, Alabama 32.

left_hook_lacey
09-15-2010, 08:20 PM

I agree with you on 99% of this. But the fact that we had 129 yards on the ground against Wake didn't take as much of the heat off of the QB position as I would've hoped and Wake doesn't play in the SEC(reference to run defense you mentioned). They(wake) were getting through despite us running the ball well, and they knew he had a stellar passing attack. He still got rocked many times.

As you mentioned, if we can establish the run against Bama it will lighten up some of the blitz packages because they will have to respect the run and the pass then, but I'm afraid the Bama D is going to be able to get serious pressure with rushing only 3 or 4 guys.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope they are surprised at the cleverness of our passing schemes and we can keep it close enough to keep pressure on their D and keep them honest, but I just don't see that happening. However, the fan in me sees us pulling off the major upset! :)

Edit: I also think Saban will try to come at us with everything they have and then some. No offense to the Duke-Bama football tradition/connection that some have mentioned on here, but Saban has a responsibility as the head coach to win this football game and look good doing it. Now, for me, that means drawing the line once a certain lead is established, but I seriously doubt he will call the dogs off despite the relationship between Bear Bryant and Wallace Wade. I even have the feeling Saban will use this game to help his starters pad their stats for Heisman and season stat purposes. Just sayin', don't expect them to roll over in any capacity (no pun intended)

calltheobvious
09-16-2010, 09:44 AM
I agree with you on 99% of this. But the fact that we had 129 yards on the ground against Wake didn't take as much of the heat off of the QB position as I would've hoped and Wake doesn't play in the SEC(reference to run defense you mentioned). They(wake) were getting through despite us running the ball well, and they knew he had a stellar passing attack. He still got rocked many times.

As you mentioned, if we can establish the run against Bama it will lighten up some of the blitz packages because they will have to respect the run and the pass then, but I'm afraid the Bama D is going to be able to get serious pressure with rushing only 3 or 4 guys.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope they are surprised at the cleverness of our passing schemes and we can keep it close enough to keep pressure on their D and keep them honest, but I just don't see that happening. However, the fan in me sees us pulling off the major upset! :)

Edit: I also think Saban will try to come at us with everything they have and then some. No offense to the Duke-Bama football tradition/connection that some have mentioned on here, but Saban has a responsibility as the head coach to win this football game and look good doing it. Now, for me, that means drawing the line once a certain lead is established, but I seriously doubt he will call the dogs off despite the relationship between Bear Bryant and Wallace Wade. I even have the feeling Saban will use this game to help his starters pad their stats for Heisman and season stat purposes. Just sayin', don't expect them to roll over in any capacity (no pun intended)

No way. Nick Saban coaches for championships and nothing else. Who knows how many points will satisfy him on Saturday, but you can rest assured that he's not in the business of altering his gameplans or in-game tactics to pad guys' stats. And certainly not when he's got three straight challenging conference games following Duke.

If anything, his memory of what happened to Texas in January is going to make him more likely to get Third-Base McElroy out of the game sooner rather than later so he can get more reps for the back-up, McCarron. And at RB, unless Ingram can't come back and stay back, there simply are not enough carries to get Richardson the numbers he would need to be a serious Heisman contender at the end.

The Ingram injury is the best thing to happen to Alabama so far this season.

TideAle
09-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi Duke fans, thanks for letting me on board. Looking forward to a fun time this weekend. Fortunately living in Raleigh I don't have to drive that far. Taking my son to his first Alabama game and it couldn't have worked out better, he cheers for Duke during the basketball season so he will be in heaven.

Looking at the offense you guys have ran so far this season it should make for an interesting game. Duke's air attack will hit our (Alabama's) younger defensive backs which should provide us with a benchmark we have not been able to gauge in the first 2 games. It will also give us an idea of how we might stack up against Arkansas and their passing attack. All in all a good scheduling decision. I won't go into all of my thoughts on the game because I'm fairly biased (watch the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball) just wanted to say hi and thanks for the letting me comment.

Regarding a couple of previous quotes, I don't see Coach Saban doing anything beyond following the process, which does not call for padding players stats or running up the score. The idea is to get as much playing time as possible for each player.

OldPhiKap
09-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi Duke fans, thanks for letting me on board. Looking forward to a fun time this weekend. Fortunately living in Raleigh I don't have to drive that far. Taking my son to his first Alabama game and it couldn't have worked out better, he cheers for Duke during the basketball season so he will be in heaven.

Looking at the offense you guys have ran so far this season it should make for an interesting game. Duke's air attack will hit our (Alabama's) younger defensive backs which should provide us with a benchmark we have not been able to gauge in the first 2 games. It will also give us an idea of how we might stack up against Arkansas and their passing attack. All in all a good scheduling decision. I won't go into all of my thoughts on the game because I'm fairly biased (watch the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball) just wanted to say hi and thanks for the letting me comment.

Regarding a couple of previous quotes, I don't see Coach Saban doing anything beyond following the process, which does not call for padding players stats or running up the score. The idea is to get as much playing time as possible for each player.

Welcome, TideAle, and thanks for the thoughtful post.

killerleft
09-16-2010, 10:46 AM
I think that Duke will have to pull at least one rabbit out of the hat to stay close to or beat Alabama. Since we have a running QB and a passing QB, I wonder if we might experiment with having both Sean and Brandon in the backfield at the same time? Not all game, of course, but enough to see if we can confuse them a bit.

Bob Green
09-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Since we have a running QB and a passing QB, I wonder if we might experiment with having both Sean and Brandon in the backfield at the same time?

I believe throwing a little Wildcat at Alabama would be a solid strategy. As A-Tex Devil states above, "Go balls out on offense."

grossbus
09-16-2010, 11:02 AM
"If there's one thing that I don't think Nick Saban has ever been accused of, it's having enough class."

how about any class?

A-Tex Devil
09-16-2010, 11:03 AM
I won't go into all of my thoughts on the game because I'm fairly biased (watch the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball)

This.

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for being diplomatic/subtle with the above statement (I am being serious).

Even if we have some ability in our passing game, it's not going to mean a thing if our o-line and d-line can't play way above their heads. Our d-line is likely to get pushed around big time. I don't know what our coordinator's capabilities are for stunts, run blitzes, disguising, etc. But we have to try to confuse McElroy --- 3rd downs, 3rd downs, 3rd downs. Those are our friend.

Our DTs are going to have to do some clutching and grabbing (and tripping and biting and gouging) to keep 'Bamas o-lineman from getting their secondary blocks on our linebackers. If Spaghetti and Meatballs (apparently that's the Richardson/Ingram nickname) get to our secondary consistently, it's over, and our offense will have the ball about 15 minutes this game.

I hope we can hang in there. I hope our coaching staff calls plays with their you know whats on the table. If I see a quick kick or a dive on 3rd and long at midfield, I will turn the TV off.

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2010, 11:13 AM
If I see a quick kick or a dive on 3rd and long at midfield, I will turn the TV off.
Great ghosts of Carl Franks, I never want to see another quick kick in my life. I'll be interested to see how active our backups are..my guess is Cut will do a fair amount of subbing to keep the team fresh. It's a nice asset that we finally have some depth at positions that we didn't have it before. Not all positions obviously, but we're getting there with improved recruiting and conditioning.

killerleft
09-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Great ghosts of Carl Franks, I never want to see another quick kick in my life. I'll be interested to see how active our backups are..my guess is Cut will do a fair amount of subbing to keep the team fresh. It's a nice asset that we finally have some depth at positions that we didn't have it before. Not all positions obviously, but we're getting there with improved recruiting and conditioning.

LOL on the quick kicks! I agree, but I do remember a time when we used them to great effect when Spurrier was here. Was it Dilweg who could really boom them?

Battierfan01
09-16-2010, 11:52 AM
I know that Bama has a very talented defense, but I really think our offense can put up some big points against them. I just hope that our defense is able to keep them from doing the same.

JasonEvans
09-16-2010, 01:14 PM
LOL on the quick kicks! I agree, but I do remember a time when we used them to great effect when Spurrier was here. Was it Dilweg who could really boom them?

I recall watching Randall Cunningham hit like a 90 year punt on a quick kick many years ago. Stunning!

--Jason "you need the right kind of QB to pull this off" Evans

baylovesduke
09-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Just saw that Iron Dukes lots are now opening at 7 am instead of the usual 5 hours before!!! :) LET'S GO DUKE!!!

jjh1080
09-17-2010, 09:17 AM
I know that Bama has a very talented defense, but I really think our offense can put up some big points against them. I just hope that our defense is able to keep them from doing the same.

7 big points! 49-7 final; actually it think it might be worse.

duke79
09-17-2010, 10:20 AM
7 big points! 49-7 final; actually it think it might be worse.

Yea, I hate to be a pessimist but I could see this being a 55-9 type of game. I truly hope I am wrong and would love to see at least a competitive game. If I were a betting man and had no allegiance to Duke, I'd be tempted to bet on Bama with the 24 point spread. The oddsmakers may actually be giving Duke a little too much credit on this game.

sagegrouse
09-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Yea, I hate to be a pessimist but I could see this being a 55-9 type of game. I truly hope I am wrong and would love to see at least a competitive game. If I were a betting man and had no allegiance to Duke, I'd be tempted to bet on Bama with the 24 point spread. The oddsmakers may actually be giving Duke a little too much credit on this game.

With a 23.5 spread and an over/under of 57.5, the betting line implies a 40.5-17 final score.

I expect Duke to score more than 17.

sagegrouse

A-Tex Devil
09-17-2010, 10:52 AM
With a 23.5 spread and an over/under of 57.5, the betting line implies a 40.5-17 final score.

I expect Duke to score more than 17.

sagegrouse

"Expect"? Go back and look at 'Bama's last dozen or so games. We **may** score 17 or more, but it is unlikely.

As much as everyone is leaning on our offense to keep this close, I think a closer than expected game will be because our defense plays well and forces 'Bama turnovers -- like a 28-13 type game. If we score multiple offensive touchdowns before 'Bama's backups come in, I will be very surprised and very happy.

watzone
09-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Just turn out Duke fans! http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/university-prepares-crimson-tide

Stray Gator
09-17-2010, 11:36 AM
"Expect"? Go back and look at 'Bama's last dozen or so games. We **may** score 17 or more, but it is unlikely.

As much as everyone is leaning on our offense to keep this close, I think a closer than expected game will be because our defense plays well and forces 'Bama turnovers -- like a 28-13 type game. If we score multiple offensive touchdowns before 'Bama's backups come in, I will be very surprised and very happy.

I wouldn't count too heavily on multiple turnovers by the Tide. Nicky is fanatical about the fundamentals; and he knows that his team is already ranked #1 and just needs to win comfortably, which he can achieve by letting his linemen on both sides do the heavy lifting. So he'll probably keep the ball primarily in the reliable hands of Richardson, while giving Ingram enough opportunities to feel the contact and ease back into game shape. Unless something unforeseen happens, I think he'll minimize the passing game to avoid exposing McElroy to the risk of unnecessary interceptions or injury. Bama's defense is not as experienced or formidable as it was last season, but it is still more talented and deep than anything Duke will likely encounter in the ACC. Unfortunately for Duke, the field should be dry and fast. I'd love to see a close match, and would be thrilled if the Blue Devils could somehow pull off the upset. But realistically, I'm expecting a final score in the 38-13 or 41-17 range.

Vincetaylor
09-17-2010, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't count too heavily on multiple turnovers by the Tide. Nicky is fanatical about the fundamentals; and he knows that his team is already ranked #1 and just needs to win comfortably, which he can achieve by letting his linemen on both sides do the heavy lifting. So he'll probably keep the ball primarily in the reliable hands of Richardson, while giving Ingram enough opportunities to feel the contact and ease back into game shape. Unless something unforeseen happens, I think he'll minimize the passing game to avoid exposing McElroy to the risk of unnecessary interceptions or injury. Bama's defense is not as experienced or formidable as it was last season, but it is still more talented and deep than anything Duke will likely encounter in the ACC. Unfortunately for Duke, the field should be dry and fast. I'd love to see a close match, and would be thrilled if the Blue Devils could somehow pull off the upset. But realistically, I'm expecting a final score in the 38-13 or 41-17 range.

52-17. The tailgating will be a lot more exciting than the game itself. Football isn't like basketball where totally overmatched teams actually have a decent chance at winning. If Duke beat Alabama it would certainly be one of the biggest upsets in college football history. Not going to happen.

calltheobvious
09-17-2010, 01:32 PM
I recall watching Randall Cunningham hit like a 90 year punt on a quick kick many years ago. Stunning!

--Jason "you need the right kind of QB to pull this off" Evans

That, and the diamond-hard astroturf at the late Veterans Stadium;)

BlueandWhite
09-17-2010, 02:46 PM

I, too, would be ecstatic to see Duke win, and it would be one of the great college football upsets in....the past 50 years, or more? Your statement above, however, is the key reason why Duke really can't win this game, and a reason why Duke will fall short in several other games this year, despite their excellent passing attack -- both of Alabama's lines will be able to control the line of scrimmage, in particular their O line vs. Duke's defensive front. The ONLY way I can see this game even being close is if Alabama unexpectedly has a significant (4?) number of turnovers. I do love the interview with Coach Cutcliffe saying that they're preparing to win the game, not just be in it. I love that winning attitude, and it's why Duke will soon field teams that are invited to bowl games & even field ACC title contenders.

I expect to see our passing offense to take a lot of chances and gamble, and perhaps we'll see 2-3 Duke TD's. But, we probably won't be able to stop Alabama from racking up a ton of yards on the ground and scoring a lot of points. Prediction: Alabama 52-24.

-bdbd
09-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Duke keeps it thight through most of the first half, but then 'Bama's thoroughbreds begin to show their advantage, and the (more) thin Duke lines start to falter some. No shame in that as AL has among the best O-line and D-line in the business. Look for them to run it down our throats until we show we can stop them/Ingram. Or not...

Maybe 28-14 by halftime. Bama then owns the 3rd, before we score 1-2 times in the 4th during mop-up duty. While an upset is certainly always possible, I am really hoping for a respectable (not sloppy, not "small time") performance on CBS. Too bad this isn't in 2 years once Cut has further developed recruiting and performance/confidence and facillities!

:cool:

left_hook_lacey
09-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Just wanted to add, Scot Van Pelt just gave the Duke offense major props on his radio show. He was discussing the over/under of 17 points by Duke offense, and said that was one of the easiest picks for him to make in a long time.

"Put you're money on the Duke offense folks. They will put up more than 17 points, their offense is too goo not to. Renfree will be chucking it all over the field all day. Book it now."

Wow, I know it's a small victory, but how great is it to hear that on a nationally syndicated ESPN radio show?!

I hope he was wrong on one point though, he and his producer said that this was "theoretically" a home game for Duke, but it would be a pro-Bama crowd by far. Let's prove him wrong on that front!

Update: His producer is not as convinced, he asked how Duke would put up more than 17 when Penn State could only muster 3 points. Van Pelt responded by saying Penn State had a freshman QB that wasn't ready for that stage, and that we had a QB in Renfree is read to go on any stage.

Bob Green
09-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Update: His producer is not as convinced, he asked how Duke would put up more than 17 when Penn State could only muster 3 points. Van Pelt responded by saying Penn State had a freshman QB that wasn't ready for that stage, and that we had a QB in Renfree is read to go on any stage.

I believe folks are underestimating how good are our receivers. I don't know anything about Penn State's receiving corps but I doubt they are as talented as Conner Vernon, Donovan Varner and Austin Kelly. Plus we also have depth and talent at the tight end position.

It'll be all about the offensive line giving Sean Renfree time to throw the ball. Alabama's secondary is young so if Renfree has time he will complete a lot of passes and we will score points. Coach Cutcliffe is going to mix it up to keep Alabama guessing on defense. Renfree will take quick drops and throw short passes and he will drop back and throw the ball deep. I guestimate we score more than 20 points.

Oh yeah, we might actually run the ball a couple of times though I suspect our running backs might be busy providing extra pass protection for Sean.

left_hook_lacey
09-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Oh yeah, we might actually run the ball a couple of times though I suspect our running backs might be busy providing extra pass protection for Sean.

I think this is going to be key IMO. If we can handle their early blitzes, and get some yards, maybe even break a big play for a score, it will open up the playbook for us dramatically. It may take keeping the backs in the backfield to pass block as you mentioned. But if we can strike first, it will keep Bama guessing and maybe keep them back on their heels for a while. If we can do that, and then incorporate a run and screen pass here and there, it could be interesting at half-time.

Man, is it Saturday yet?!

DU82
09-17-2010, 11:32 PM
I think our chance of winning tomorrow is as likely as, say, Coastal Carolina beating the 2009 National Champions in another sport. :-)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-18-2010, 01:04 AM
I want a Duke win tomorrow more than I've wanted anything since.... oh, April? :)

Gotta say, I think the only way we win is in a shootout. Our defense simply doesn't have the horses to keep them in check. If we can stay close early and keep the pressure on Bama to keep scoring, anything is possible. If, on the other hand, they score on their first few possessions and we have three and outs, that lets Bama throttle back on the pace, push that ball ahead with the running game, and we are out before the end of the first quarter.

It's critical that Duke not fall behind more than one or two scores early. If the game becomes a shootout - who knows? Maybe Alabama makes a few mistakes and we take advantage.

I think a Duke win over Alabama would be bigger than the App State v. Michigan debacle. App State was recognized nationally as being a very strong team for several years. Granted, winning in Ann Arbor was an amazing overachievement, but that team had a culture of championships and winning. Duke on the other hand has won three bowls in their history and has been downright miserable for nearly two decades. Thoughts?

Make it happen!

roywhite
09-18-2010, 06:15 AM
I believe folks are underestimating how good are our receivers. I don't know anything about Penn State's receiving corps but I doubt they are as talented as Conner Vernon, Donovan Varner and Austin Kelly. Plus we also have depth and talent at the tight end position.

It'll be all about the offensive line giving Sean Renfree time to throw the ball. Alabama's secondary is young so if Renfree has time he will complete a lot of passes and we will score points. Coach Cutcliffe is going to mix it up to keep Alabama guessing on defense. Renfree will take quick drops and throw short passes and he will drop back and throw the ball deep. I guestimate we score more than 20 points.

Bob, I follow Penn State pretty closely and watched all of the Penn State--Alabama game. Generally speaking, Penn State has a good receiving corps (considered one of the better groups in the Big10) but had some problems in the passing game vs Alabama:

An interception in the red zone
A fumble by a receiver in the red zone
A couple key drops by veteran receivers
An inexperienced tight end (starter out due to injury) who didn't provide production

Duke's QB and receivers (including Heflet, who could be a good weapon) can and should do better than PSU did. So, key for Duke in addition to protection for the QB is to spread the ball around and not commit turnovers. My opinion is that Duke will be able to move the ball and can score, perhaps as much as 20 points or more.

Bob Green
09-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Bob, I follow Penn State pretty closely and watched all of the Penn State--Alabama game. Generally speaking, Penn State has a good receiving corps (considered one of the better groups in the Big10) but had some problems in the passing game vs Alabama:

Thanks! It's going to take near perfect execution in the part of our offense but I'm really looking forward to the challenge of playing against the #1 team in the country who has the #1 ranked scoring defense in the country. Once we score some points against the Crimson Tide all the national pundits, as well as the local doubters, are going to sit up and take notice that Duke is legit.

mkline09
09-18-2010, 09:39 AM
The thing that concerns me most about Alabama is not their skill players but their size up front on both sides of the ball. On offense can Duke keep the Bama front off of Renfree and give Scott some room to run? I forsee a lot of check downs and quick slants. Not sure how many opportunities Duke will have to strech the field if the line can't protect Renfree. So far they've done a good job against Elon and Wake but Alabama is a different story.

On defense the 3 or 4 man front needs to prevent a very good Alabama offensive line from dominating the line of scrimmage and allowing them to pound the ball on the ground. If Duke is to keep it close or even pull off the seemingly impossible they have to minimize the size disadvantage up front and hold their own in the trenches.