PDA

View Full Version : Where to live in LA area?

sue71, esq
05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Well it appears that I'll be taking a job in LA (USC vicinity) very soon, and I'm looking for recommendations on what areas to live in. I've decided to rent for the first year I'm there so that I can get a better feel for different areas... friends recommended Pasadena, Manhattan Beach, & Long Beach (the commute can be sketchy from there I'm told). Some also recommended downtown area, as there's a revitalization going on (again, so I'm told).

Any other ideas? Like I said, it'll be an apartment, 2 bedrooms (prefer 2 bathrooms, but semi-negotiatable). Commute is a concern, as the reputation of the LA freeways is frightening to say the least. But everyone says that since I'm originally from the East Coast (NJ), I should have no problem. I don't want more than an hour commute each way. Beach isn't much of an issue for me either way- I lived in Virginia Beach at one point and seldom went to the beaches.

Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

JulesInLA
05-31-2007, 03:22 AM
Hi Sue,

I'd be happy to talk with you off-line about L.A. I've been out here since '85 when we graduated and my husband's from here originally. Actually, I'm originally from Wayne, NJ (northern NJ).

Drop me a private message and I'll get right back to you.

I'm also currently serving as the president of the Duke Club of SoCal so you can check out our activities on the website at: www.dukealumni.com/socal

Julie

Exiled_Devil
05-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Hi Sue,

I'd be happy to talk with you off-line about L.A. I've been out here since '85 when we graduated and my husband's from here originally. Actually, I'm originally from Wayne, NJ (northern NJ).

Drop me an email at JulesInLA at ca.rr.com and I'll get right back to you.

I'm also currently serving as the president of the Duke Club of SoCal so you can check out our activities on the website at: www.dukealumni.com/socal

Julie

[Topic shift]
Jules,
You might want to wipe your email from the post and put it in a PM to sue - you're inviting yourself to a boatload of spam. Spambots troll online to catch live email addresses. I've had to change my 'write us for information' email twice for my company because of this.
[/topic shift]

Exiled

-jk
05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
Email address obfuscated! Back to our regular topic.

I lived in West LA for a couple years - near the 10 and 405. Not a bad neighborhood, and a pretty good jump off for commuting. But I really missed the east coast: trees, thunderstorms, weather in general...

-jk

JulesInLA
05-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the clean-up! I hope we caught it in time!

Jules

snowdenscold
05-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Email address obfuscated! Back to our regular topic.

I lived in West LA for a couple years - near the 10 and 405. Not a bad neighborhood, and a pretty good jump off for commuting. But I really missed the east coast: trees, thunderstorms, weather in general...

-jk

Wait, the 10/405 intersection was good for commuting and you like the weather of the east coast better than southern California? Is today opposite day??

In all seriousness - I lived down in Irvine last year and really like the area, but if you need to work in USC the commute would be too much. Luckily I could work from home most days and so only had to drive up to El Segundo once a week (I left my house at 6:15 to make an 8AM meeting there - ouch!)

Clipsfan
06-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Wait, the 10/405 intersection was good for commuting and you like the weather of the east coast better than southern California? Is today opposite day??

In all seriousness - I lived down in Irvine last year and really like the area, but if you need to work in USC the commute would be too much. Luckily I could work from home most days and so only had to drive up to El Segundo once a week (I left my house at 6:15 to make an 8AM meeting there - ouch!)

I actually live near the intersection of the 10 and the 405 (I grew up in LA, and came back here after Duke). I've lived in this area since I came back (the farthest away was Santa Monica and Sepulveda about 6 years ago), and I agree that it's good for getting around, assuming you want to get around only the west side :) It works for me, as I go to the beach on weekends and to Century City on weekdays.

As to the original poster, I'm more than happy to talk to you offline as well, send me a PM and I'll give you my email. The areas you mentioned are all good options, but the best place will depend on a lot of factors. I know one thing, you don't want to live near USC. Not a nice area. If you're paying for a 2 bedroom yourself, they can be fairly expensive in many of the areas you mentioned, and some of that is due to proximity to the beach. If that's not of real interest to you, I'd save the commute time (easily an hour) and find something closer/possibly more affordable. Prices here aren't as bad as NYC, but things are very expensive as compared to NC.

tommy
06-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Sue - I've lived here for 20 yrs and am happy to give you info re: lots of different areas. Also, drop me a private message with your email and I'll be happy to give you as much info as you like. Lots to consider.

dukemomLA
06-04-2007, 02:31 AM
Hi Sue. Originally an East Coast, NJ native, I've lived in L.A./NY/DC since the late 70s. And yes, you don't want to live around USC. BUT the area just north of USC is in a wonderful renewal and it worth a look. You can find some good and safe deals here.

Also, as previously mentioned on the post, Manhattan Beach -- especially if you don't care about the 'beach' part, it'll make it cheaper.

Also, downtown L.A. is now thriving and is a good possibility.

Next-- consider the (what-is-called) the Miracle Mile area. Near museums, a short surface street commute to USC (probably 20 minutes even during 'traffic times' (...which in L.A. means most times except maybe 2-4am)

So again. Welcome to L.A. There's a LOT of Duke fans, alum, etc. out here on the Left Coast.