PDA

View Full Version : Miles Dunks over Mason

uh_no
08-17-2010, 07:38 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Miles-Plumlee-uses-his-6-foot-10-brother-as-a-du?urn=ncaab-262862

yeah

that just happened

DukeSean
08-17-2010, 07:51 PM
wow. not sure what else I can say.

Newton_14
08-17-2010, 07:52 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Miles-Plumlee-uses-his-6-foot-10-brother-as-a-du?urn=ncaab-262862

yeah

that just happened

I keep waiting for the time that Miles catches a pass on the break and jumps over a guard or wing trying to take a charge, and throws down a nasty dunk. It almost happened in one of the early season games last year, but on that play he dribbled the length of the court, messed his steps up and plowed into the guy for a charge.

I still say it will happen eventually though. He just needs the pass to be in the correct place at the correct time. Gee, wonder who on this year's team would be capable of delivering such a pass........let me think on that and get back with you....:p

left_hook_lacey
08-17-2010, 08:00 PM
I was a little embarrassed by this being on the front page at yahoo. While It's good to see us getting some national attention, I really expected this to have more of a WOW factor. It was built up in the yahoo article as if it was draw-dropping. But after watching it, it was kind of a let down. I can't help but wonder if they(rivals) did it to spark controversy and bring out the Duke haters. I can just see people around the nation clicking to watch it and going, "that's it?"

The dunk was OK, but I've seen better from Miles and Mason during real game action for God's sake.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but of all the good things or highlights they could have chosen to put on the front page at yahoo, this wouldn't have made my top 100. I just thought it was weak as far as front page news goes.

jjh1080
08-17-2010, 08:21 PM
If there is no WOW factor here for you then I would like to see you get your butt over 6'6" (Mason bends a little) of the ground.

Lord Ash
08-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Wow, awesome!

And for a near 7 footer to dunk over another almost 7 foot guy is INSANE. If you don't get that... well, you are too hard to impress.

El_Diablo
08-17-2010, 09:14 PM
I wish there was a video of when Miles did that to Zoubek at practice last year.

Poincaré
08-17-2010, 09:32 PM
The UNC plants at Deadspin are selling this as "Duke white guy jumps over other Duke white guy and white guys watching cheer." They don't get that this is a 7 footer jumping over a 7 footer either. They don't seem to realize that the "white guys watching" are kids attending some sort of camp, not Duke students. Oh well, anything to perpetuate the myth of Duke as a douchy and lily-white institution, right? It's funny, because UNC is 68% white while Duke is only 51% white. Not that such a thing should matter...

Merlindevildog91
08-17-2010, 09:59 PM
The UNC plants at Deadspin are selling this as "Duke white guy jumps over other Duke white guy and white guys watching cheer." They don't get that this is a 7 footer jumping over a 7 footer either. They don't seem to realize that the "white guys watching" are kids attending some sort of camp, not Duke students. Oh well, anything to perpetuate the myth of Duke as a douchy and lily-white institution, right? It's funny, because UNC is 68% white while Duke is only 51% white. Not that such a thing should matter...

Don't confuse the people down the road with FACTS!

My boss, who doesn't watch sports, was sufficiently impressed to email this to me.

Cameron
08-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes, jumping over Hakeem Olajuwon to slam dunk a basketball 10 feet in the air is a plebeian feat. Yawn. More like un-feat. Try a 300-foot tree or driving a car off a waterfall and dunking out the passenger's side window and then we'll talk.

Not trying to be Reagan Raw Deal here but, as a Duke fan, I'm abashed at this whole thing.

killerleft
08-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Yes, jumping over Hakeem Olajuwon to slam dunk a basketball 10 feet in the air is a plebeian feat. Yawn. More like un-feat. Try a 300-foot tree or driving a car off a waterfall and dunking out the passenger's side window and then we'll talk.

Not trying to be Reagan Raw Deal here but, as a Duke fan, I'm abashed at this whole thing.

You were abashed at a trick meant to impress some kids at a basketball camp? A trick that impressed them mightily, judging by the reaction?

Weird. Looked like great fun to me!

sagegrouse
08-18-2010, 12:11 AM

It's the 17th of August, what do you expect us to talk about?

sagegrouse

left_hook_lacey
08-18-2010, 12:44 AM
If there is no WOW factor here for you then I would like to see you get your butt over 6'6" (Mason bends a little) of the ground.

I used to be able to dunk over my friend David's 6'1" frame when I was 5'11". I actually won a JV dunk contest in high-school with that dunk. A big part of completing that dunk was him stooping down, but more importantly, me pushing off his shoulders much like Miles did. I don't want to get into an argument about it being harder for him because he's taller, I'm just stating the point that the dunk is not that hard.

I'm not on a basketball scholarship at Duke, nor was my high-school dunk put on the front page at yahoo.

I'm just saying, it served it's purpose which was to entertain young camp kids, which I'm sure it did. I just really believe in the "act like you've been there before" mentality, and going ga ga over this dunk seems a little weak to me. And yahoo/rivals didn't help us any by making it a big story.

If he does it in a game that in a game this year(not over Mason), then I will be the first to start a thread called "Then Dunk of The Year", a place we can all show our man love for Miles' dunking ability.

Lord Ash
08-18-2010, 01:28 AM
You were abashed at a trick meant to impress some kids at a basketball camp? A trick that impressed them mightily, judging by the reaction?

Weird. Looked like great fun to me!

Pretty sure he was kidding:)

Cameron
08-18-2010, 01:37 AM

He was. :)

AZLA
08-18-2010, 04:48 AM
I used to be able to dunk over my friend David's 6'1" frame when I was 5'11". I actually won a JV dunk contest in high-school with that dunk. A big part of completing that dunk was him stooping down, but more importantly, me pushing off his shoulders much like Miles did. I don't want to get into an argument about it being harder for him because he's taller, I'm just stating the point that the dunk is not that hard.

I'm not on a basketball scholarship at Duke, nor was my high-school dunk put on the front page at yahoo.

I'm just saying, it served it's purpose which was to entertain young camp kids, which I'm sure it did. I just really believe in the "act like you've been there before" mentality, and going ga ga over this dunk seems a little weak to me. And yahoo/rivals didn't help us any by making it a big story.

If he does it in a game that in a game this year(not over Mason), then I will be the first to start a thread called "Then Dunk of The Year", a place we can all show our man love for Miles' dunking ability.

To us, not-capable-of-dunking mortals, that was sorta kinda big deal. Man, I'm not much taller than you and I maybe dunked once (I'm not sure Playschool rims count). So, kudos to your leaping prowess. Any video?

And maybe, yes, it's a type of "ramping up" technique. But, really, why call the magician on his slight of hand? Enjoy the show. Miles (and Bros) has serious athletic skill, especially for his height and anything to promote Duke this year is greatly appreciated because it's going to be a wild, wild season.

flyingdutchdevil
08-18-2010, 06:00 AM
But, really, why call the magician on his slight of hand? Enjoy the show. Miles (and Bros) has serious athletic skill, especially for his height and anything to promote Duke this year is greatly appreciated because it's going to be a wild, wild season.

I think he have the right to voice our opinion on the dunk. While I think the dunk was very impressive, I do understand left hook lacey's point - the dunk has been done many times before in practice, NBA dunk competitions, and street ball players. It's impressive, but it's not a "wow" dunk like Iggy's ball-off-behind-the-backboard dunk a few years back in the NBA dunk competition (that was THE "wow" dunk for me) or VC doing the tea-bag. I also voice left hook lacey's statement about the difference of doing this in-game vs practice. The Brothers Plumlee are extremely athletic, but I'm not sure if that dunk was the most impressive move I've seen either of them do.

MarkD83
08-18-2010, 06:21 AM

The are just worrried that the next 7 footer Miles will Dunk over will be Henson or Zeller.

flyingdutchdevil
08-18-2010, 06:57 AM
The are just worrried that the next 7 footer Miles will Dunk over will be Henson or Zeller.

I'm not sure if anyone can dunk over Henson - he would get blown away by the wind velocity produced by the dunker

left_hook_lacey
08-18-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure if anyone can dunk over Henson - he would get blown away by the wind velocity produced by the dunker

Or sucked towards them like the undertow of an ocean wave. :o

jjh1080
08-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Okay, and you were not impressed when you won the JV dunk contest? You didn't rib the other guys about the feat of being 5'11" and jumping over a 6'1" guy? While telling others about this accomplishment how many times did you mention the 6'1" guy bent over a little? What won you the contest, the fact that you impressed the judges buy jumping over a 6'1" guy who bent over or was it your great style?

Funny, I did say 6'6" (not 7') to account for the bend Mason made. He did not bend way over.

As for the white guy jumping over a white guy to impress white kids, I've already made a called Jessie and Al. They should be looking into the racism of the statement. LOL

I can dunk and so can a lot of other guys, say Shaq, Mutombo, Love, Perkins, etc. and I don't think they ever were able to dunk over a 6'6" person. Again, when you can get your butt up over a 6'6" guy you can down play it.

Me thinks there are trolls amongst us.

left_hook_lacey
08-18-2010, 07:29 AM
To us, not-capable-of-dunking mortals, that was sorta kinda big deal. Man, I'm not much taller than you and I maybe dunked once (I'm not sure Playschool rims count). So, kudos to your leaping prowess. Any video?

And maybe, yes, it's a type of "ramping up" technique. But, really, why call the magician on his slight of hand? Enjoy the show. Miles (and Bros) has serious athletic skill, especially for his height and anything to promote Duke this year is greatly appreciated because it's going to be a wild, wild season.

Video? LOL. When I was in high school, we didn't have HD cameras on our phones or FLIP HD digital recorders at our disposal. However, it was a scheduled dunk contest at a pep-rally....hmmmm there could be some video somewhere. You have raised a good question my friend.

My 15-year reunion is this year, perhaps I should try to contact the powers that be to get together some old footage like the dunk contest. Should be quite entertaining and sad at the same time. Hmmmmm.

I'm 32, and I can still dunk, but believe me when I say it's not pretty.

aro24
08-18-2010, 10:06 AM
The most impressive thing to me in the whole video has nothing to do with the dunk itself, although it was rather impressive. But did you see Miles' shoulders and biceps? I think he is on the Nick Horvath weight room plan. Well done young man.....he should be throwing guys around next year for rebounds.

aro24
08-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Video? LOL. When I was in high school, we didn't have HD cameras on our phones or FLIP HD digital recorders at our disposal. However, it was a scheduled dunk contest at a pep-rally....hmmmm there could be some video somewhere. You have raised a good question my friend.

My 15-year reunion is this year, perhaps I should try to contact the powers that be to get together some old footage like the dunk contest. Should be quite entertaining and sad at the same time. Hmmmmm.

I'm 32, and I can still dunk, but believe me when I say it's not pretty.

Where did you play my friend? We are the same age and just curious if we may have crossed paths during HS ball or the AAU circuit.

killerleft
08-18-2010, 10:44 AM

oh, i see:o

UrinalCake
08-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Does anyone have the "official" height measurements for the Plumlees? We've been calling them "seven footers" but according to the article Mason is 6'10". Not that it makes a huge difference, but I was just curious.

Kedsy
08-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Okay, and you were not impressed when you won the JV dunk contest? You didn't rib the other guys about the feat of being 5'11" and jumping over a 6'1" guy? While telling others about this accomplishment how many times did you mention the 6'1" guy bent over a little? What won you the contest, the fact that you impressed the judges buy jumping over a 6'1" guy who bent over or was it your great style?

Funny, I did say 6'6" (not 7') to account for the bend Mason made. He did not bend way over.

He's not a troll. His point was not so much the bending over part as it was the pushing off his shoulders part. There are a lot of people (who are not nearly as athletic as Miles) who can jump high enough so that when they push off someone else's shoulders they can clear their head. It's a reasonably impressive feat but not a "wow" moment. I agree that we have seen much more impressive dunks from both Plumlees than this one.

Leck
08-18-2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzVl44V-x1c

this one from mason is more impressive imo...

DevilWolf
08-18-2010, 11:38 AM
re: dunking on Henson

In order to dunk on somebody, the defender has to remain in the play without jumping out of the way to avoid getting dunked on.

Kedsy
08-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Yah, that one was a "wow" moment.

Daniel tosh
08-18-2010, 12:08 PM
We should just make this an official favorite Duke dunks thread,I'm sure we could add s few more after this season.

JasonEvans
08-18-2010, 12:09 PM
If he does it in a game this year(not over Mason), then I will be the first to start a thread called "Then Dunk of The Year", a place we can all show our man love for Miles' dunking ability.

I am just wondering, would it be legal for Miles to do this over Mason in a game? Would the refs see it as some kind of illegal assistance on the part of Mason? Hmmmm. Is there a rule that prevents a player from lifting his teammate into the air to catch a lob?

--Jason "I need a ref!" Evans

CDu
08-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Does anyone have the "official" height measurements for the Plumlees? We've been calling them "seven footers" but according to the article Mason is 6'10". Not that it makes a huge difference, but I was just curious.

Yeah, neither is actually a 7-footer. Both are generally listed at 6'10". Not that ESPN, GoDuke, or Wikipedia are in any way official measurements, but all of those list both at 6'10".

CDu
08-18-2010, 12:30 PM
I am just wondering, would it be legal for Miles to do this over Mason in a game? Would the refs see it as some kind of illegal assistance on the part of Mason? Hmmmm. Is there a rule that prevents a player from lifting his teammate into the air to catch a lob?

--Jason "I need a ref!" Evans

Players are not allowed to boost their teammates in a way such as to afford them an advantage in scoring. I'd imagine that this would fall under such a rule.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10.html

That's from the NBA rules, but I suspect the same is true in college.

left_hook_lacey
08-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Where did you play my friend? We are the same age and just curious if we may have crossed paths during HS ball or the AAU circuit.

I never played AAU. I played for a small High School in South Eastern NC. I won the contest that year because I was in 9th grade and most people in the stands didn't know I could dunk. There were far better dunks that day, but when the 5'11" white freshman throws it down it's hard to vote against him. ;)

left_hook_lacey
08-18-2010, 03:15 PM

As for the white guy jumping over a white guy to impress white kids, I've already made a called Jessie and Al. They should be looking into the racism of the statement. LOL

I can dunk and so can a lot of other guys, say Shaq, Mutombo, Love, Perkins, etc. and I don't think they ever were able to dunk over a 6'6" person. Again, when you can get your butt up over a 6'6" guy you can down play it.

Me thinks there are trolls amongst us.

I referenced my dunk only as a comparison that Miles' dunk was underwhelming for a front page yahoo article. Relatively speaking, I should be able to jump over a 6'6" if I was 6'10". I jumped over a 6'1" guy at 5'11".

I was very excited when I saw the headline because those types of things can be really good recruiting tools as we all know. But I was really let down when I watched the video. That's all I'm saying. I'm very defensive of our image as a team because we take so much crap as it is when it comes to being "unathletic" and all that bologna. Going ga ga over a mediocre dunk only solidifies that to the outside world. I'm done arguing that point, I think I've typed it 3 times already. If you aren't understanding the point I'm trying to make, then I digress.

As far as Shaq or the others your mentioned being able to dunk over someone 6'6", click on the link when you get a chance. This was in a game, on a follow-up, without the defender even knowing he was coming so there was no help getting to the rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlY8HUeeBK4

SilkyJ
08-18-2010, 04:21 PM
As far as Shaq or the others your mentioned being able to dunk over someone 6'6", click on the link when you get a chance. This was in a game, on a follow-up, without the defender even knowing he was coming so there was no help getting to the rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlY8HUeeBK4

You should check your link. That's certainly not in-game and certainly not a follow-up slam.

flyingdutchdevil
08-18-2010, 04:24 PM

That's the Iggy dunk! Didn't know Mason could do that. That's impressive!

jimsumner
08-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Wow. Miles can jump high. Who'd a thunk it?

This is almost as impressive as some of those run-50-feet-without-having-to-dribble-and-dunk-over-someone-who-isn't actually-playing-defense-dunks we saw from Olek Czyz. Subtle message here. Or not so subtle.

Miles is going to be a solid player for Duke this season, maybe better than a solid player. But I'm pretty sure the other team will actually try to stop him from dunking on them. So, I'm going to be more excited to see a go-to jump-hook or a reliable drop-step. The kind of moves that replicate college basketball games.

left_hook_lacey
08-18-2010, 05:16 PM
You should check your link. That's certainly not in-game and certainly not a follow-up slam.

Touche' sir. Thanks for catching that quickly, I'm not sure how that happened. My previous post won't let me edit the link. Here's the correct link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoEWO5ypOPM

left_hook_lacey
08-18-2010, 05:19 PM
I referenced my dunk only as a comparison that Miles' dunk was underwhelming for a front page yahoo article. Relatively speaking, I should be able to jump over a 6'6" if I was 6'10". I jumped over a 6'1" guy at 5'11".

I was very excited when I saw the headline because those types of things can be really good recruiting tools as we all know. But I was really let down when I watched the video. That's all I'm saying. I'm very defensive of our image as a team because we take so much crap as it is when it comes to being "unathletic" and all that bologna. Going ga ga over a mediocre dunk only solidifies that to the outside world. I'm done arguing that point, I think I've typed it 3 times already. If you aren't understanding the point I'm trying to make, then I digress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoEWO5ypOPM

Link corrected.

AZLA
08-19-2010, 12:24 AM
[QUOTE=JasonEvans;427506]I am just wondering, would it be legal for Miles to do this over Mason in a game? Would the refs see it as some kind of illegal assistance on the part of Mason? Hmmmm. Is there a rule that prevents a player from lifting his teammate into the air to catch a lob?

I was going to ask the same question. Wasn't there a play during the 2010 NCAA Tourney where Miles went up the back of, I think Singler, and flushed the dunk. But he was called for a technical I think for being on the rim too long (which was a weak call).

Another question. What if it's a defender and Miles were to jump over a shorter player who is facing the basket (and not underneath it), but he doesn't make contact at all, and slams it?

Would this be over the back even if there's no contact?

p.s., agreed, let's get a 2010-2011 highlight video collection thread going. There's going to be a ton of content this year.

Kedsy
08-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Another question. What if it's a defender and Miles were to jump over a shorter player who is facing the basket (and not underneath it), but he doesn't make contact at all, and slams it?

You need contact for an over the back call.

CDu
08-19-2010, 08:27 AM
I was going to ask the same question. Wasn't there a play during the 2010 NCAA Tourney where Miles went up the back of, I think Singler, and flushed the dunk. But he was called for a technical I think for being on the rim too long (which was a weak call).

The difference is that Miles didn't use Singler to improve his chances (i.e., get a boost from Singler). Or at least he didn't overtly do so. The rules specify that you can't use a team to improve your chances of scoring. Going over the back of a teammate to get a dunk is different than getting a boost from a teammate to get a dunk.

p.s., agreed, let's get a 2010-2011 highlight video collection thread going. There's going to be a ton of content this year.

As Kedsy noted, the "over the back" violation is a contact violation. You're using contact to impede the opponent's ability to go for the ball. So if you don't make contact, there's no violation. "Over the back" is kind of a misnomer - if you're truly OVER the back (i.e., not making contact), then there's no foul.

Acymetric
08-19-2010, 09:10 AM
As Kedsy noted, the "over the back" violation is a contact violation. You're using contact to impede the opponent's ability to go for the ball. So if you don't make contact, there's no violation. "Over the back" is kind of a misnomer - if you're truly OVER the back (i.e., not making contact), then there's no foul.

Yeah, but the rule is constantly misapplied...refs call fouls for going over the back with no contact all the time. Happened to poor Zoubs numerous times, and it happens to players that get a little more respect from the refs too. Drives me crazy when I see it!

flyingdutchdevil
08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Yeah, but the rule is constantly misapplied...refs call fouls for going over the back with no contact all the time. Happened to poor Zoubs numerous times, and it happens to players that get a little more respect from the refs too. Drives me crazy when I see it!

I'd argue, however, that before his senior year, Zoubs definitely did a lot of illegal over the back and was indeed called for it. Once Zoubs learned to hold his ground and put himself in a position to get the ball rather than solely using his height (which led to the behind the back calls), these calls were minimal, especially towards the end of the season.

UrinalCake
08-19-2010, 10:00 AM
This is probably the best example of something similar happening during a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

(includes bonus french commentary)

flyingdutchdevil
08-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Even though VC is a UNC guy who doesn't understand the definitions of "work" and "effort," he was one of the most athletic human specimens to ever grace the game of basketball. The "tea-bag" is still the most impressive in-game dunk that I have ever seen.

pfrduke
08-19-2010, 12:23 PM

Shocking to remember that Vin Baker once represented the USA in international competition. <shakes head>

Acymetric
08-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Even though VC is a UNC guy who doesn't understand the definitions of "work" and "effort," he was one of the most athletic human specimens to ever grace the game of basketball. The "tea-bag" is still the most impressive in-game dunk that I have ever seen.

I have a good friend who idolized VC growing up...until he met him. Turns out he's a huge jerk, or at least he was that day.

He's definitely an incredible athlete though...no doubt about that.