PDA

View Full Version : Tom D'Armi Memorial Today at Duke

Son of Jarhead
08-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Here is a link:http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22847&SPID=1850&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204969111

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Our family attended the D'Armi memorial last evening. It was gratifying to see so many notables and good friends come to pay their respects and celebrate the life of this quintessential Blue Devil. Tom Butters' moving tribute capped off a series of loving, personal accounts of Coach's life that was enjoyed by all.

Near the end everyone gathered on the baseball field to cast his ashes at third base at sunset.

The only disappointment was the glaring omission of any emissary or message from the Krzyzewski family. Knowing Coach D'Armi's unfailing love and the many ways he supported Coach K and his family, we sincerely hope that at least some private message was sent.

-jk
08-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Our family attended the D'Armi memorial last evening. It was gratifying to see so many notables and good friends come to pay their respects and celebrate the life of this quintessential Blue Devil. Tom Butters' moving tribute capped off a series of loving, personal accounts of Coach's life that was enjoyed by all.

Near the end everyone gathered on the baseball field to cast his ashes at third base at sunset.

The only disappointment was the glaring omission of any emissary or message from the Krzyzewski family. Knowing Coach D'Armi's unfailing love and the many ways he supported Coach K and his family, we sincerely hope that at least some private message was sent.

I believe K avoids public ceremonies of that sort. I think he doesn't want to be a distraction from the occasion.

I'd be astonished if he hasn't sent a private note of condolence, though.

-jk

Son of Jarhead
08-15-2010, 01:27 PM

There was a personal letter from Coach K inside the front cover of the notebook with Coach D'Armi articles & photos that was on the table at the front of the room.

I was very impressed by the amount of love & respect Coach engendered in so many. The stories were priceless & his son Mickey was clearly moved. The whole thing, especially the stories & his ashes being spread in the 3rd base coach's box, was a fitting tribute. Rest In Peace, Coach.

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-15-2010, 04:15 PM
There was a personal letter from Coach K inside the front cover of the notebook with Coach D'Armi articles & photos that was on the table at the front of the room.

I was very impressed by the amount of love & respect Coach engendered in so many. The stories were priceless & his son Mickey was clearly moved. The whole thing, especially the stories & his ashes being spread in the 3rd base coach's box, was a fitting tribute. Rest In Peace, Coach.

Thanks, BuschDevil. I looked through the scrapbook, but I'm sorry to say I totally missed the letter.

Indoor66
08-15-2010, 05:22 PM

K was in New York with the National Team this week and the team played France to day. That may further explain the absence.