PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke vs. Elon Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Olympic Fan
08-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Three weeks from today!

I have to say that even though I am a total optimist, I am not overlooking or disrespecting Duke's opening opponent -- even if Elon is an FCS school. Despite our improvement in the last two seasons, Duke football has not earned the right to take anybody for granted. We've opened with losses to FCS Richmond twice in the last four seasons.

Elon is a quality FCS opponent. A year ago, they went 9-3 and finished No. 9 in the final FCS rankings. They lost 16-13 in the playoffs to the same Richmond team that opened the season with a 24-16 victory over Duke. Their other two losses came at the hands of App State (27-10) and Wake Forest (35-3).

They return the bulk of their offense --minus star wide receiver Terrell Hudgins, who caught 123 passes a year ago for 1,683 yards and 16 touchdowns. He's currently with the Dallas Cowboys.

But they return QB Scott Riddle, who threw for 3,345 yards a year ago (23 TDs and just seven INTs), the preseason offensive player of the year in the Southern Conference. Also back are their top three running backs Jamal Shuman (677 yards rushing in 2009), A.J. Harris (474 yards) and Brandon Newsome (455 yards). Their top returning receiver is Lance Camp (45 catches for 585 yards).

Defensively, it's a different story. The lost all four starting defensive backs and three of four starting defensive linemen off the nation's No. 4 ranked FCS defense. They do return a good crop of linebackers, headed by Brandon Wiggins.

I haven't been able to find any preseason national FCS polls yet, but they were picked second in both the media and coaches preseason Southern Conference rankings (behind App State). I've seen several stories that call them a preseason top 10 FCS team, even though I can't find any rankings.

Overall, a strong FCS opponent that ought to give us a good gauge of how we stand -- if we're really going to contend for a bowl, we ought to manhandle them the way Wake did a year ago ... if we struggle, it's a bad sign. If we lose, I think it has the same impact as our season-opening loss to Richmond a year ago -- making any bowl dreams most unlikely.

But, as I said, I'm optimistic. I think Elon offers a good first step for a 6-win season. It's certainly a game Duke must win to make that happen.

Starting three weeks from today ...

Bob Green
08-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the breakdown. With the number of Elon defensive starters not back, and our strength on offense, we should have no problem moving the ball for scores. Our receivers should dominate a secondary with no returning starters. Therefore, I'll be looking for a result similar to our 31-7 dismantling of James Madison in 2008.

Here is a link to a Elon practice report (http://www.elon.edu/e-web/athletics/fb2007.xhtml). The defensive coordinator, Jay Baternan, expresses confidence in the players he has available at defensive back. Here is a quote from Baternan about playing Duke:

I think the key thing this year against Duke is going to be that we just need to come out and play like we’re capable of playing.

I agree with OF that Duke Football hasn't earned the right to overlook any opponent and last season's 16-24 loss to Richmond on opening night drives that point home. We have to beat Elon and then go on the road and take care of business at Wake Forest in order to get off to a start that will propel us to a six win season and bowl eligibility.

Tommac
08-14-2010, 09:34 PM
I've been a Duke fan for close to 45 years, but I graduated from Elon and have lived in the town of Elon for the past 19 years, so this is one game I'm not going to be pulling for the Blue Devils. But I don't think Elon can win, their defense will be unproven. Riddle is a great qb, but I believe that Elon will be way outsized against Duke. They may score points but will probably give them up against an ACC caliber team.

chrishoke
08-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Elon can most definetly beat us. We need to play like this is our only game of the year.

Devilsfan
08-15-2010, 01:17 PM
No way can Elon beat us if we dress out and show up and bring our A or B game. No one in the USA outside of North Carolina ever heard of Elon.

peloton
08-15-2010, 04:12 PM
No way can Elon beat us if we dress out and show up and bring our A or B game.

DF, while I basically agree with you here obviously the big question here is will we bring our "A game" or "B game"? Let's be honest...we longtime Duke fans have been on the losing end of many "shouldn't lose" football games to "inferior" opponents (who obviously weren't so inferior.) No disrespect to Elon but I believe that we will win if we play well, but is the team going to be clicking on all (or most) cylinders for the home opener? That's the question of course. I think we will be for the most part and I can't wait. Although Coach Cut and the guys have made big strides the last 3 seasons or so, our margin for error is such that we have to play pretty well to win most games. That said, let the games begin...I'm ready to see what the Devils can do this year!

gofurman
08-15-2010, 11:29 PM
No way can Elon beat us if we dress out and show up and bring our A or B game. No one in the USA outside of North Carolina ever heard of Elon.

Im in SC (note my title) and I am well familliar with Elon. Oh, my FCS Furman Paladins did beat UNC in 1999 or 2000 by 20 points ! How nice is that - of all schools to embarass. Of course, Furman has been an FCS power - winning the NC once and playing for it 3 times with coaches like Dick Sheridan and Bobby Johnson. As a matter of fact, NC State hired Dick Sheridan from us after we BEAT THEM twice in the 80s with 22 less scholarship players and far less "recruiting clout" and budget... ;) We never play Duke - have played just about everyone else including VTech 2 years ago and they led my Paladins 3-0 at half and got booed going into the lockerrroom.

Anyway, I'll tell you this (and I am a huge Duke bball fan, ancillary football fan) - I can objectively assess the two teams and it is good that Duke drew Elon this year and not last. Hudgins alone (as noted on the Cowboys) would have made a game of it. He would have started and been all-acc caliber. This year they don't have the depth and esp the D. I expect DUke to win by 20+

Devilsfan
08-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Just saw where the Director of Football Operations at Elon Phoenix is a graduate of the same Private High School that has given us three former football players and a current BB player in Ryan Kelly.

hurleyfor3
08-16-2010, 12:39 PM
No one in the USA outside of North Carolina ever heard of Elon.

Unless you've done crossword puzzles. A four-letter word for "NC College" in a crossword puzzle is always, always "Elon".

Acymetric
08-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Considering only 25% of Elon students are from NC I'd say that probably isn't true.

sagegrouse
08-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Unless you've done crossword puzzles. A four-letter word for "NC College" in a crossword puzzle is always, always "Elon".

Yeah, if the answer is "D-U-K-E," the clue is usually something like "Maryland foe" or "Atlantic Coast team."

sagegrouse

Olympic Fan
08-16-2010, 01:07 PM
I was just thinking that we ought to do something to honor Red Wilson before this game.

Red coached Elon to some of its greatest seasons. He coached Duke for four seasons and in his last two years, gave us back-to-back 6-5 seasons.

[Just an aside ... it still blows my mind that Tom Butters fired Red just hours after he beat UNC in 1982 to complete a 6-5 season that included wins at Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia Tech. Heartbreaking losses to Navy (Ben Bennett fumbled at the Navy 5 going in for the go-ahead TD in the final minute) and a one-point loss to Virginia Tech cost Duke a great season].

Anyway, a Duke-Elon game ought to be a time to celebrate Red Wilson, a successful coach at both schools.

OldPhiKap
08-16-2010, 03:22 PM

I always write in "D-U-K-E" and then make the other clues fit.

More difficult -- and more satisfying.

On point: we are a long way from being able to overlook anyone.

4decadedukie
08-18-2010, 02:16 AM
we are a long way from being able to overlook anyone.

Words of wisdom!

watzone
08-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Duke Offensive Coordinator Kurt Roper opens up - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/08/q-a-session-with-duke-offensive-coordinator-kurt-roper/

BDR regulars Al Featherston and Jim Sumner also participated with this Q & A session.

left_hook_lacey
08-18-2010, 04:08 PM

Just because no one has heard of them outside NC doesn't mean they can't beat us or anyone else. No one outside NC had ever heard of Davidson until a couple years ago. But Davidson went further in the NCAA tournament than we did that year.

Reilly
08-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Duke fans remember Bill Cosby wearing a Duke t-shirt on his show after Duke shut down Mark Macon in 1988 and the Cos lost a bet. I recall Cosby wearing an Elon shirt on the show as well (he wore different colleges all the time; I remembered the Elon one as my first Spanish teacher had gone to Elon).

sagegrouse
08-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Just because no one has heard of them outside NC doesn't mean they can't beat us or anyone else. No one outside NC had ever heard of Davidson until a couple years ago. But Davidson went further in the NCAA tournament than we did that year.

Not so sure.....

For us old-timers, we remember that Davidson was in the Elite Eight in 1968 and 1969, losing to Carolina both times -- the second by only two points. These were Lefty Driesell's teams. He left for Maryland after the 1969 season. Moreover, Davidson's 1962-63 team with Fred Hetzel, Dick Snyder and Terry Holland beat a Final Four Duke team, giving Duke one of its only three losses that year.

FWIW, on the academic front, Davidson has been a fairly "hot" liberal arts college for the past number of years.

sagegrouse
'You know this Board... the first liar doesn't stand a chance!'

Olympic Fan
08-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Just thought I'd revive this thread with the new season starting next Saturday.

The team has completed the pre-season portion of its workouts and will begin specific game-week work leading up to the Elon game. The first two scrimmages matched the first offense against the first defense and the twos vs. the twos, but the final scrimmage last Tuesday night pitted the first and second teams on both sides of the ball against scout teamers running Elon schemes.

It's always tough to make projections based on scrimmages (if the offense looks great, does that mean the defense is lousy and vice versa?), but I think there are a few things we can take from preseason:

(1) Sean Renfree looks healthy and efficient at QB. Really, the whole season depends on his play. He is showing no physical aftereffects of his knee surgery last November, he's grasped the offense and he's passing well.

Behind him, Brandon Connette has moved ahead of Sean Schraeder for the second team spot. He's going to play as a true freshman. He has real potential -- Coach K said Connette will be an NFL player some day -- but if Renfree goes down and Connette has to be the fulltime guy this season, we're in trouble.

(2) The preseason -- in contrast to last year -- has been remarkably healthy. One of the reasons Duke got off to a slow start last year was that Thad Lewis missed almost the entire preseason with an ankle injury and more than 30 players missed time with swine flu.

A few veterans have missed individual practices with bumps and bruises, but I believe that as of this moment, the only player definitely out of the Elon game is freshman DB Quan Stevenson (and he was probably going to redshirt anyway). Even Sydney Sarmiento, who had his knee scoped a couple of weeks ago, returned to practice late last week and should be available.

(3) A LOT of young players are about to play key roles. You know about the freshmen -- Josh Snead at RB, Connette at QB, Brandon Braxton at WR. But there are also a bunch of second-year guys who are going to play HUGE roles -- Cockrell and Patterson at CB, Campbell (a GREAT physical speciman), Gamble, Glover and Rojas at LB, Walt Canty and Anthony Young-Wiseman at safety; Simmons is going to start at OT and David Harding is going to see significant action at OG, DE Justin Foxx.

(4) Two position changes should make a big difference. Kenny Anunike moved from TE to DE last spring and is probably the team's best pass rusher. Johnny Williams moved from WR to CB and is in the mix for a starting job.

This team has A LOT of depth at WR, TE, LB, CB, safety, DE and on the OL. I'm not saying we'll be great at all those positions (although I think the first two are clearly top ACC quality), but we have a lot of talented players there -- even though a lot of that talent is young.

The big concerns I have one week out:

(1) The Defensive Line -- still not much meat inside after Charlie Hatcher. Coach Hobby is playing with a lot of formations to cover up the lack of DTs -- he's trying to design a defense that emphasizes Duke's depth at DE, LB and safety.

(2) Inconsistency in the kicking game -- Last year Nick Maggio faltered early, but Will Snyderwine emerged as a star -- second-team All-ACC. Unfortunately, Snyderwine has been erratic in scrimmages ... fortunately, Maggio is back and appears to be much more consistent. But as someone who has seen Duke lost at least four games outright in recent years over the inability to hit a short FG or extra point (plus another half dozen games that turned on kicking failures), this probably worries me more than anything. I know Cut would rather have a guy who will consistently hit the short and mid-range field goal than a guy who occassionally scores from 50-plus yards, but can't be counted on for a close-in kick.

(3) The dependence on Renfree. There are other good QBs in the system. But all three are freshmen. None are ready to lead this team to a successful 2010 season. I'm confident Renfree will do the job ... as long as he stays healthy.

Overall, I don't think a six win season -- and Dukle's first bowl game since 1994 -- is a farfetched goal. But it's got to start a week from today. Elon is a quality FCS opponent, but if Duke is going to accomplish anything this year, they are a team the Devils HAVE to beat.

OldPhiKap
08-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Good breakdown, Oly. If we can establish a credible run offense, this could be a very entertaining offensive team. It may take some smoke and mirrors on the defensive side but perhaps some of the youngsters will jump up and surprise everyone.

Let's get the season started with a big (and healthy) win!!!

DukeSean
08-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Behind him, Brandon Connette has moved ahead of Sean Schraeder for the second team spot. He's going to play as a true freshman. He has real potential -- Coach K said Connette will be an NFL player some day -- but if Renfree goes down and Connette has to be the fulltime guy this season, we're in trouble.

Didn't realize K was getting so involved in football ;)

But great analysis, looking forward to the season and unfortunately trying to follow via ESPN Gamecast and the like. Anyone know of free video internet streaming sites of our football games? I usually end up listening to the radio broadcast and seeing the movement on Gamecast...It's better than nothing, I suppose, but leaves a lot to be desired...

peloton
08-28-2010, 02:09 PM
I am so ready for this game and will be there with the fruit of my loins. The question is, is the team ready? I sincerely believe that Coach Cut and his assistants have the guys ready (as much as possible considering that the defensive line is questionable.) I think that we'll be pleasantly surprised at the progress made in the running game. I fully realize that the kicking game is extremely important and all I'll say re:this critical phase of the game is that I believe we'll be okay there. Let the games begin!

CameronBornAndBred
08-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Right now it's looking like Nick Maggio will be the man.

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/9305572/article-Maggio-may-be-back-as-Duke-s-top-kicker?instance=main_article

DevilWearsPrada
08-28-2010, 03:19 PM
One week away from today!! Where has the summer gone? It's been almost 5 months since I was at the Final 4 in Indy. Excited that it is almost time for football. I know Elon will be hosting a tailgate party before the game. I have heard several buses will be rolling in, also. Elon is only 45 minutes away from Duke.

Elon has a good quarterback: Scott Riddle. Elon is a good team. Looking forward to Football. Hope the weather is like it is today. Perhaps, a little cooler, though.

Bob Green
08-28-2010, 03:31 PM
This team has A LOT of depth at WR, TE, LB, CB, safety, DE and on the OL.

Thanks for the detailed synopsis. The depth you describe fuels my optimism. We have lost too many games the last few years due to running out of steam during the 4th Quarter. Our depth will go a long way toward preventing late game collapses in 2010. The 46-43 loss at Navy in 2007 is a prime example of the type game I'm describing. Navy outscored Duke 14-0 in the 4th Quarter. Recent losses to Miami and the 2006 loss at Alabama are other examples. Some fans don't remember Duke was beating Alabama 14-10 at halftime before being outscored 20-0 in the second half. I'm confident Duke will be competitive for all four quarters in 2010.

It all starts next Saturday so let's get it started with an impressive win over Elon.

4decadedukie
08-28-2010, 03:40 PM
I have an unsubstantiated feeling that kicking and special teams will be unusually decisive for our Devils this season.

Dukeface88
08-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the detailed synopsis. The depth you describe fuels my optimism. We have lost too many games the last few years due to running out of steam during the 4th Quarter. Our depth will go a long way toward preventing late game collapses in 2010. The 46-43 loss at Navy in 2007 is a prime example of the type game I'm describing. Navy outscored Duke 14-0 in the 4th Quarter. Recent losses to Miami and the 2006 loss at Alabama are other examples. Some fans don't remember Duke was beating Alabama 14-10 at halftime before being outscored 20-0 in the second half. I'm confident Duke will be competitive for all four quarters in 2010.

It all starts next Saturday so let's get it started with an impressive win over Elon.

I think this is a common problem for mid-tier teams. The starters for those programs are just as good as the guys on better teams, but there's usually a much larger drop off when the backups come in. This is why underdogs will often keep it close for a quarter or two before losing steam in the second half. I believe someone observed in another thread that Duke has shown the last few years that we can win the games we "should", but hasn't managed to pull off any real upsets. We'll need one or two to manage a winning season and bowl eligibility this year. Having enough depth to hold on to any lucky break we catch will be critical to doing so.

The other area depth should help us is the later part of the season. During the past two seasons, we've experienced a significant drop in quality as the season goes on; the difference before and after last year's UNC game was particularly notable. Coach Cut is 0-9 in November, IMO due mostly to lack of depth. That has to change this year, considering that Virgina (Nov 6) is possibly our easiest conference game and our last good chance for a win (subject to how the UNC investigation plays out).

OldPhiKap
08-28-2010, 04:51 PM

The well-documented change in attitude regarding conditioning is also a big factor. We were much better in the fourth quarter last year as it was.

Cut recently gave an interview discussing the very point you make -- that you have to build depth and that he intends to play a lot of folks this year. As excited as I am for this year, I am sure we all recognize that this year is a step towards the next and the next and the next. We're on the front edge of the building wave, and hopefully we swamp a few on the way to bowl bid time.

RIP, TEAR, G'MHL DUKE.

peloton
08-28-2010, 06:02 PM
I have an unsubstantiated feeling that kicking and special teams will be unusually decisive for our Devils this season.
Concerning special teams - I predict that we'll have either a punt return or kickoff return for a touchdown this season. With some of the speed that we have now combined with some effective downfield blocking, it's going to happen - you heard it here first.

Olympic Fan
08-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Concerning special teams - I predict that we'll have either a punt return or kickoff return for a touchdown this season. With some of the speed that we have now combined with some effective downfield blocking, it's going to happen - you heard it here first.

Actually, our kickoff returns have been excellent in recent years -- even under Coach Roof. In fact, Jabari Marshall is No. 2 in ACC history in kickoff return yardage. Last year, Duke was fourth in the ACC with a solid 22.2 yards a return, just a yard behind first-place Clemson (with C.J. Spiller).

On the other hand, Duke was poor on punt returns -- just 6.0 yards a return (10th in the ACC and almost 11 yards behind first-place FSU). One 48-yard return by Johnny Williams accounted for more than a third of Duke's punt return yardage.

I would think coverage teams would be better with more and better athletes.

CameronBornAndBred
08-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Actually, our kickoff returns have been excellent in recent years -- even under Coach Roof. In fact, Jabari Marshall is No. 2 in ACC history in kickoff return yardage. Last year, Duke was fourth in the ACC with a solid 22.2 yards a return, just a yard behind first-place Clemson (with C.J. Spiller).

On the other hand, Duke was poor on punt returns -- just 6.0 yards a return (10th in the ACC and almost 11 yards behind first-place FSU). One 48-yard return by Johnny Williams accounted for more than a third of Duke's punt return yardage.

Do instances when we let the ball hit the turf count towards that average (as a zero)? It has been really frustrating to see the number of catchable and returnable punts not played in recent years. The fear of the missed catch is understandable, but still...arrghh!
Also, as far as our kicking goes..I hope I never see any kicks booted out of bounds this year. We did it last year often, and the year before that often. Cut can say they aren't intentional..but when they happen back to back (they did) either they have to be or he needs to replace the kicker for being that bad. Give our guys the chance to stuff them deep, instead of giving them the ball on the 40.
By the way...I'm very happy that I'm already I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing about something before the first down is played. I'm beyond stoked for this season, just like past seasons. It's hard to contain the excitement.

Acymetric
08-28-2010, 08:14 PM

Marshall was a good returner no doubt, but I suspect his numbers for kickoff returns are at least partially inflated by the fact that we were probably returning more kicks than most other teams in the ACC...I could be wrong though.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Two words for you to remember: Josh Snead.

CameronBornAndBred
08-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Two words for you to remember: Josh Snead.
After listening to your eyewitness tales last year Ozzie, I'm psyched to see him run. I can only imagine 3 years from now, with Scott as a senior and Snead as a junior...but I'll enjoy this season first. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/happy/bouncyblue.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#)

Olympic Fan
08-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Marshall was a good returner no doubt, but I suspect his numbers for kickoff returns are at least partially inflated by the fact that we were probably returning more kicks than most other teams in the ACC...I could be wrong though.

It's true that Marshall's yardage total was helped by the fact that he returned 107 kickoffs in his career -- the second highest number in history.

But his career average of 24.6 is among the best of the guys who rank in the top 30 in ACC history. A few are better --Justin Miller of Clemson is the best, just over 30 yards a retrurn (on just 50 returns). Spiller for all his well-deserved reputation, avearged just 27.7 yards on 74 returns -- about three yards more than Marshall.

I'm not trying to claim that Marshall is the best of all time, but he was one of the best. Returning kickoffs has been the one thing Duke has done well over a long period (maybe because we get so much practice).

TruBlu
08-29-2010, 07:02 AM

Here's hoping that this year our kickoff return attempts are cut in half, and our punt return attempts double!

Bob Green
08-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Here is a long article on Elon QB Scott Riddle:

http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/role-36481-elon-frontman.html

The article starts out with some humorous stuff but moves on to discussing our opening night opponent's QB resume with statements such as:

Riddle set an NCAA freshman record for touchdown passes in his first season at Elon. He has surpassed the 300-yard mark in 17 of his 35 career games, which includes a mind-blowing 534-yard performance on a wild afternoon at Furman.

Solely on statistical measures, he’s poised to finish his career as the most significant passing quarterback in Southern Conference history.

It is interesting reading from a "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" perspective. Riddle is a talented QB, however, his favorite receiver (Terrell Hudgins) is now in the NFL. Hopefully Duke's strength in the secondary will make it a long evening for Riddle and the Phoenix receivers.

kyriecrazy2013
08-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Just thought I'd revive this thread with the new season starting next Saturday.

The team has completed the pre-season portion of its workouts and will begin specific game-week work leading up to the Elon game. The first two scrimmages matched the first offense against the first defense and the twos vs. the twos, but the final scrimmage last Tuesday night pitted the first and second teams on both sides of the ball against scout teamers running Elon schemes.

It's always tough to make projections based on scrimmages (if the offense looks great, does that mean the defense is lousy and vice versa?), but I think there are a few things we can take from preseason:

(1) Sean Renfree looks healthy and efficient at QB. Really, the whole season depends on his play. He is showing no physical aftereffects of his knee surgery last November, he's grasped the offense and he's passing well.

(2) The preseason -- in contrast to last year -- has been remarkably healthy. One of the reasons Duke got off to a slow start last year was that Thad Lewis missed almost the entire preseason with an ankle injury and more than 30 players missed time with swine flu.

A few veterans have missed individual practices with bumps and bruises, but I believe that as of this moment, the only player definitely out of the Elon game is freshman DB Quan Stevenson (and he was probably going to redshirt anyway). Even Sydney Sarmiento, who had his knee scoped a couple of weeks ago, returned to practice late last week and should be available.

(3) A LOT of young players are about to play key roles. You know about the freshmen -- Josh Snead at RB, Connette at QB, Brandon Braxton at WR. But there are also a bunch of second-year guys who are going to play HUGE roles -- Cockrell and Patterson at CB, Campbell (a GREAT physical speciman), Gamble, Glover and Rojas at LB, Walt Canty and Anthony Young-Wiseman at safety; Simmons is going to start at OT and David Harding is going to see significant action at OG, DE Justin Foxx.

(4) Two position changes should make a big difference. Kenny Anunike moved from TE to DE last spring and is probably the team's best pass rusher. Johnny Williams moved from WR to CB and is in the mix for a starting job.

This team has A LOT of depth at WR, TE, LB, CB, safety, DE and on the OL. I'm not saying we'll be great at all those positions (although I think the first two are clearly top ACC quality), but we have a lot of talented players there -- even though a lot of that talent is young.

The big concerns I have one week out:

(1) The Defensive Line -- still not much meat inside after Charlie Hatcher. Coach Hobby is playing with a lot of formations to cover up the lack of DTs -- he's trying to design a defense that emphasizes Duke's depth at DE, LB and safety.

(2) Inconsistency in the kicking game -- Last year Nick Maggio faltered early, but Will Snyderwine emerged as a star -- second-team All-ACC. Unfortunately, Snyderwine has been erratic in scrimmages ... fortunately, Maggio is back and appears to be much more consistent. But as someone who has seen Duke lost at least four games outright in recent years over the inability to hit a short FG or extra point (plus another half dozen games that turned on kicking failures), this probably worries me more than anything. I know Cut would rather have a guy who will consistently hit the short and mid-range field goal than a guy who occassionally scores from 50-plus yards, but can't be counted on for a close-in kick.

(3) The dependence on Renfree. There are other good QBs in the system. But all three are freshmen. None are ready to lead this team to a successful 2010 season. I'm confident Renfree will do the job ... as long as he stays healthy.

Overall, I don't think a six win season -- and Dukle's first bowl game since 1994 -- is a farfetched goal. But it's got to start a week from today. Elon is a quality FCS opponent, but if Duke is going to accomplish anything this year, they are a team the Devils HAVE to beat.

thanks for the analysis! but Schroeder is a redshirt freshman. just clarifying that. He has 1 year of experience (although he was on scout team) and Connette has been practicing since last february with the team. They both have good experience or better experience than a recently enrolled freshman. But i agree there is a significant drop off in talent/experience after Renfree.

kyriecrazy2013
08-29-2010, 02:49 PM
After listening to your eyewitness tales last year Ozzie, I'm psyched to see him run. I can only imagine 3 years from now, with Scott as a senior and Snead as a junior...but I'll enjoy this season first. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/happy/bouncyblue.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#)

2 years*

watzone
08-30-2010, 11:20 AM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/08/a-look-at-the-2010-duke-football-depth-chart/ Here is a look from Patrick Cacchio on who will likely play and the depth chart.

Olympic Fan
08-30-2010, 03:22 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/08/a-look-at-the-2010-duke-football-depth-chart/ Here is a look from Patrick Cacchio on who will likely play and the depth chart.

Good analysis, but I think Patrick leaves out several players who will see action:

-- WR Brandon Braxton
-- TE Jack Ferrell

Even though Duke is very deep at both these positions, both these guys are playmakers -- they'll see action.

Also:

OG David Harding -- he's definitely in the mix (probably ahead of Coleman and Irwin)

CB Garrett Patterson -- he's going to be in the rotation

kyriecrazy2013
08-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Good analysis, but I think Patrick leaves out several players who will see action:

-- WR Brandon Braxton
-- TE Jack Ferrell

Even though Duke is very deep at both these positions, both these guys are playmakers -- they'll see action.

Also:

OG David Harding -- he's definitely in the mix (probably ahead of Coleman and Irwin)

CB Garrett Patterson -- he's going to be in the rotation

From what I have seen Ferrell is not a playmaker. He is a decent blocker and has ok hands. Definitely not exceptionally big or speedy for his size. Also we are very, very deep at WR so I honestly don't see Braxton playing very much. There are about 4-5 WRs in front of him, not to mention the RBs and TEs who line up at receiver.

Olympic Fan
08-30-2010, 04:53 PM
From what I have seen Ferrell is not a playmaker. He is a decent blocker and has ok hands. Definitely not exceptionally big or speedy for his size. Also we are very, very deep at WR so I honestly don't see Braxton playing very much. There are about 4-5 WRs in front of him, not to mention the RBs and TEs who line up at receiver.

I think you have Ferrell 180-degrees wrong.

True, he's not big and he's not speedy. But he's not a great blocker either.

But he has exceptional hands and, most importantly he's tough and will catch the ball in traffic.

As for Braxton ... all I can say is wait and see. As talented and as deep as we are at WR, he brings something that nobody else does -- his combination of size and speed and his ability to win jump balls. He'll play.

kyriecrazy2013
08-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I think you have Ferrell 180-degrees wrong.

True, he's not big and he's not speedy. But he's not a great blocker either.

But he has exceptional hands and, most importantly he's tough and will catch the ball in traffic.

As for Braxton ... all I can say is wait and see. As talented and as deep as we are at WR, he brings something that nobody else does -- his combination of size and speed and his ability to win jump balls. He'll play.

Ferrell also has 2 excellent blocking tight ends in front of him and 1 great pass catcher/route runner.

No doubt Braxton will be great :D but I don't see him getting a ton of playing time because he is young and relatively unexperienced. Varner and Vernon are entrenched and Austin Kelly probably will remain in the top 3.

This team has a lot of potential and upside! I'm glad we are even having this conversation about whether a great receiver will play! Awesome:)

Olympic Fan
08-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Just to update. At Coach Cutcliffe's Tuesday press conference, he confirmed that four true freshmen are scheduled to play against Elon:

QB Brandon Connette
RB Josh Snead
RB Juwan Thompson
WR Brandon Braxton (I know Duke has depth there, but he's THAT good)

He said that several freshman defensive players were still being evaluated, but it might be a couple of weeks before they make that decision.

He specifically confirmed that they will plan on using Connette in certain situations. He's a clearcut No. 2 on the depth chart and they want to get him work -- just in case.

At least two spots on the depth chart are still unsettled. Cut said he has not yet decided between Maggio and Snyderwine for PK and he implied that August Campbell and Kevin Rojas are still competing for one LB spot. The latter doesn't matter too much because they are going to rotate seven LBs. But the outcome of the kicking battle may decide our season.

OldPhiKap
08-31-2010, 02:54 PM
Just to update. At Coach Cutcliffe's Tuesday press conference, he confirmed that four true freshmen are scheduled to play against Elon:

QB Brandon Connette
RB Josh Snead
RB Juwan Thompson

He said that several freshman defensive players were still being evaluated, but it might be a couple of weeks before they make that decision.

He specifically confirmed that they will plan on using Connette in certain situations. He's a clearcut No. 2 on the depth chart and they want to get him work -- just in case.

At least two spots on the depth chart are still unsettled. Cut said he has not yet decided between Maggio and Snyderwine for PK and he implied that August Campbell and Kevin Rojas are still competing for one LB spot. The latter doesn't matter too much because they are going to rotate seven LBs. But the outcome of the kicking battle may decide our season.

Olympic, any thoughts on the running game from the scrimmages or practices you have seen? I think a credible running game could make this one heck of an exciting offense, because it would really open up the passing game as well.

Bob Green
08-31-2010, 02:57 PM

I have a couple of comments:

1. Coach Cutcliffe made a commitment to improving Duke's in state recruiting and Brandon Braxton is another example of success.

2. Considering we have three returning starters who were all in the ACC Top 10 in receptions last year, Braxton must be really, really special for Coach Cutcliffe to play him as a true freshman.

Kick-off is in 100 hours. Who's excited?

jimsumner
08-31-2010, 03:20 PM
"Olympic, any thoughts on the running game from the scrimmages or practices you have seen? I think a credible running game could make this one heck of an exciting offense, because it would really open up the passing game as well."

Can't be much worse than last season.

Scott is running first team, right now. Cut says he's the most consistent. Cut also said that
the running game was "better at any point since we've been here. We have some threats back
there."

The OL is bigger, deeper and more experienced. Cut says Matt Luke "looks like a proud Papa." Cut was excited aout the depth added by the redshirt freshmen. Perry Simmons is listed at first-team RT, with Coleman, Finison and Harding on second team.

The DL will use speed, deception and aggressiveness to counteract its lack of experienced size.
Kenny Anunike is up to 250 and is listed as first-team DE. Damian Thornton is a hybrid LB/DE, depending on scheme. Thornton says the emphasis is getting to the ball, being agggressive.

Lots of praise for Renfree. Not just his physical skills but the intangibles, poise, leadership, knowledge of the system. Cut says the back-ups have made significant progress.

Cut does not like the uncertainty at PK. The job is there for the taking.

Cut wants to play lots more people. Duke has enough depth to do that at OL, TE, WR, RB, LB and DB. DL is the question mark.

Cut and the staff have challenged the team to up its physicality. More live-ball scrimmages and practices. Hit, hit, hit.

Morgan, Kromrah, Rwabukamba permanent captains. A fourth captain per game. Hoffman for Elon.

This is still a young team but the overall depth and athleticsm has been upgraded significantly.

Dukeface88
08-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Article from USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/acc/duke.htm)

I'd like to hear opinions on the move to a 3-4 alignment. I think it's a good way to mitigate the lack of depth and experience in our defensive interior, but I worry about a lack of size. We ranked 9th in the ACC in rushing defense last year, and we are losing somewhere between 50 and 100 pounds in our front 7. Speed is of limited help if the opponent keeps his runs between the tackles

On the other hand, I think the pass defense should improve markedly. The 3-4 is much more difficult to read for both the O-line and quarterback due to the number of coverage/blitzing schemes.

Bob Green
08-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Article from USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/acc/duke.htm)

I'd like to hear opinions on the move to a 3-4 alignment.

We are not moving to a straight 3-4 defense. The defense will line-up in multiple formations including the 3-4, 4-3, and 3-5 stack:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/08/31/656102/devils-want-to-keep-opposing-offenses.html

OldPhiKap
08-31-2010, 05:12 PM
"Olympic, any thoughts on the running game from the scrimmages or practices you have seen? I think a credible running game could make this one heck of an exciting offense, because it would really open up the passing game as well."

Can't be much worse than last season.

Scott is running first team, right now. Cut says he's the most consistent. Cut also said that
the running game was "better at any point since we've been here. We have some threats back
there."

The OL is bigger, deeper and more experienced. Cut says Matt Luke "looks like a proud Papa." Cut was excited aout the depth added by the redshirt freshmen. Perry Simmons is listed at first-team RT, with Coleman, Finison and Harding on second team.

The DL will use speed, deception and aggressiveness to counteract its lack of experienced size.
Kenny Anunike is up to 250 and is listed as first-team DE. Damian Thornton is a hybrid LB/DE, depending on scheme. Thornton says the emphasis is getting to the ball, being agggressive.

Lots of praise for Renfree. Not just his physical skills but the intangibles, poise, leadership, knowledge of the system. Cut says the back-ups have made significant progress.

Cut does not like the uncertainty at PK. The job is there for the taking.

Cut wants to play lots more people. Duke has enough depth to do that at OL, TE, WR, RB, LB and DB. DL is the question mark.

Cut and the staff have challenged the team to up its physicality. More live-ball scrimmages and practices. Hit, hit, hit.

Morgan, Kromrah, Rwabukamba permanent captains. A fourth captain per game. Hoffman for Elon.

This is still a young team but the overall depth and athleticsm has been upgraded significantly.

Thanks, Jim. You had me worried when the first response was that "it can't be worse than last year," so I appreciate the other details. If we can run well enough to keep the opposing defenses honest, and give our defense some time to rest, we could make this a pretty good year.

Looking forward to kick-off already.

jimsumner
08-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Cut had an interesting comment about the OL today. He said that they had to lose weight in order to gain back better weight. In other words, today's 290-pound lineman might be much stronger than the 290-pound lineman of 2-3 years ago.

Not going to name names, but there were some doughy-looking lineman when Cut took over. Body-fat percentages have plummeted.

Duke has at least one legit NFL prospect on the OL. Starting LT Kyle Hill is 6-6, 290, a redshirt junior. He's strong, athletic, good technique and very smart. He told me today that every offensive lineman on the team takes personally the criticism of the running game and has worked overtime to improve in that area. He says the communication is excellent and the vets are all mentoring the kids, with the idea of improving depth.

Talk, as they say, is cheap. But if the OL is better and the running backs are better, than we should see clear signs of an improved running game beginning Saturday night.

Let me add a comment to the question of defensive schemes. Duke will use multiple schemes, lots of stunts and will try to confuse the offense as often as possible and as long as possible. The goal is to distract the offense and attack the ball. As others have noted, stopping between-the-tackles power running will be crucial. I think Charlie Hatcher is pretty good inside, but some combination of Sarmiento, Hazelston and likely a freshman or two will have to step up and help in out in the trenches.

Dukeface88
08-31-2010, 07:27 PM
We are not moving to a straight 3-4 defense. The defense will line-up in multiple formations including the 3-4, 4-3, and 3-5 stack:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/08/31/656102/devils-want-to-keep-opposing-offenses.html

Thanks for the link. I thought we would play some 4-3 (most of the articles I've seen mentioned that we were "transitioning"). This is the first I've heard about using the stack though. Should be interesting.

Cut had an interesting comment about the OL today. He said that they had to lose weight in order to gain back better weight. In other words, today's 290-pound lineman might be much stronger than the 290-pound lineman of 2-3 years ago.

Not going to name names, but there were some doughy-looking lineman when Cut took over. Body-fat percentages have plummeted.

This is a good point as well. I know a few guys who were on the team; they all said work outs got much more intense when Cut started. IMO, the focus on off season conditioning has probably been the single most important change that Cut implemented, even more than the improved recruiting.

Greg_Newton
08-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like the only TV/video available will be at ESPN3.com.

Unfortunate for those who don't have ESPN3, but as a Comcast subscriber in TN I'll take it!

BTW, thanks to Jim and Bob for the ongoing updates and analysis of the team leading up to the game. It's all very exciting to read, particularly the improvements in the O-line, secondary and general athleticism/phyisicality/speed. Hopefully we can start out with a bang Saturday!

peloton
08-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Kick-off is in 100 hours. Who's excited?

(Jumping up and down waving his arms) Me! Me! Let's put it this way...I just might have to pick up some Depends to wear Sat night in the event I wet my pants when the Duke team comes charging out of the tunnel onto the field through the smoke and with music blaring away. Yeah, I'm excited. :D Let's do this.

CameronBornAndBred
09-01-2010, 12:13 AM
I just might have to pick up some Depends to wear Sat night in the event I wet my pants when the Duke team comes charging out of the tunnel onto the field through the smoke and with music blaring away.
If it rains like it did last year for a few games, nobody will notice. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=2446#)

PDDuke85
09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
In lieu of a proper loo, the Depends are a good choice
:cool:

jimsumner
09-01-2010, 09:48 AM
If it rains like it did last year for a few games, nobody will notice. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=2446#)

Speaking of weather, darn-near perfect weather predicted for Saturday. High in the mid-80s, virtually no chance of rain.

So, bring your rain-coats.

Just joking, my friends.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Speaking of weather, darn-near perfect weather predicted for Saturday. High in the mid-80s, virtually no chance of rain.

So, bring your rain-coats.

Just joking, my friends.
It's time we caught a break regarding opening game day weather. The current forecast will help promote great tailgate parties as well as good play on the field.

Bob Green
09-01-2010, 11:07 AM
This article is not specific to the Elon game, however, it provides a solid preview of Duke's defense:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/08/the-pressure%e2%80%99s-on-2010-duke-defense/

Duke's defensive emphasis will be centered upon speed multiple schemes. Patrick provides a detailed analysis, which I believe should spur some additional discussion in this excellent ongoing thread.

CameronBornAndBred
09-01-2010, 05:54 PM
This article is not specific to the Elon game, however, it provides a solid preview of Duke's defense:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/08/the-pressure%e2%80%99s-on-2010-duke-defense/

Duke's defensive emphasis will be centered upon speed multiple schemes. Patrick provides a detailed analysis, which I believe should spur some additional discussion in this excellent ongoing thread.

“I think the thing that happened was the defense got on a roll today and I think our secondary is whipping our receivers pretty consistently. I think our pressure got to our offense today.”
That's my favorite line..the secondary has been a point of frustration the last few years, our corners have consistantly been beat for big gains by the other team. This new defense will have me screaming a few times though...Coach Hobby has said that due to the aggressive nature there will be some times that we get smoked. His quote was

"We're going to take the aggressive approach ... you're going to see an aggressive Duke defense," Hobby said. "And when you're aggressive, it's feast or famine sometimes."

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/08/31/656102/devils-want-to-keep-opposing-offenses.html#ixzz0yJjV0BRW (http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/08/31/656102/devils-want-to-keep-opposing-offenses.html#ixzz0yJjV0BRW)

Olympic Fan
09-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I really like the upgrade of talent in the secondary. Ross Cockrell and Garrett Patterson are a pair of redshirt freshman cornerbacks who bring a better combination of size and speed to the position that we've seen in a long, LONG time.

I mean, I loved Leon Wright, but he was 5-foot-7 and I can't count the number of times he was in position, but got beat by a bigger, stronger player. Even John Talley, as good as he was, was barely 5-foot-10.

Both Cockrell and Patterson are legit 6-footers and from what I've seen, they can cover and they can hit. Of course, they are still second-year freshmen and they have to prove they can do it in a game, but the potential they bring is better than any we've had.

Senior Chris Rwabukamba is solid, but the two young guys bring more physical potential. And Johnny Williams is, in Cut's words, a potential NFL corner.

And, as good as the situation is at cornerback, the depth and talent at safety is even better. It starts with Matt Danielsn -- the guy is already an All-ACC quality safety, good on pass coverage and GREAT on run support -- a huge hitter. Lee Butler doesn't bring that much punch, but he's an even better cover guy -- he started at cornerback last year. That's an old FSU trick -- playing corners at safety to upgrade the speed of your defense.

Behind them are Walt Canty and Jordan Byas ... believe me, we've had a lot of seasons in the last decade when our starting safeties weren't as good as these two guys. And behind them, Anthony Young-Wiseman looks great -- Cut said he could have helped last year as a true freshman, before he broke his leg in preseason.

I think Duke goes five deep at safety -- and with that much depth, the plan is to use three-safety combos a lot. They will rotate the four cornerbacks, but the nickel package will use three safeties.

It's still a young group -- of the nine guys I mentioned, there's one senior, three juniors, two sophs and three freshmen. They'll get better.

My biggest concern about the secondary is not the secondary -- it's the defensive front. I still worry about generating a pass rush ... and if opposing QBs can sit back there forever, it doesn't matter how good the coverage is, somebody will come open.

But, you can tell, I'm thrilled about how Cut has upgraded the talent in the secondary ... or maybe more accurate to say, I'm thrilled about how he is upgrading the talent in the secondary, because it's an ongoing process.

PS Two days from kickoff ... and the first college football games are tonight on TV!!

Acymetric
09-02-2010, 12:29 PM
My biggest concern about the secondary is not the secondary -- it's the defensive front. I still worry about generating a pass rush ... and if opposing QBs can sit back there forever, it doesn't matter how good the coverage is, somebody will come open.

I've been worrying about this too, but as I read your post I thought about another way to look at the relationship between the secondary and the line:

Maybe if our coverage is good enough it will help give the line more time to get to the QB. A coverage sack is still a sack! I'm not saying that'll happen, as both the secondary and line are question marks right now in my eyes, but its a nice alternate possibility.

Either way I'm just ready for some football...can't wait to get my beak wet tonight, should hold me over 'til Saturday!

AisanderD
09-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know if this game will be televised? Maybe Espn 8, the ocho?:p

Acymetric
09-02-2010, 12:54 PM

It'll be on ESPN 3 (http://espn.go.com/espn3/index) (formerly ESPN 360) but won't actually be televised. If you don't have access to ESPN 3 I'm not sure you'll be able to find it anywhere.

94duke
09-02-2010, 12:59 PM
It'll be on ESPN 3 (http://espn.go.com/espn3/index) (formerly ESPN 360) but won't actually be televised. If you don't have access to ESPN 3 I'm not sure you'll be able to find it anywhere.

Anybody know if TWC in Durham is allowing ESPN3 yet?
Thanks.

CameronBornAndBred
09-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks.
If you are in Durham..go to the game!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
09-02-2010, 02:17 PM
You're in Durham. Get your wanker over to Wallace Wade Stadium and watch the game in person!

Greg_Newton
09-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks.

Looks like only on ESPN3.com.

AisanderD
09-02-2010, 02:44 PM
You're in Durham. Get your wanker over to Wallace Wade Stadium and watch the game in person!

LOL, I live in Durham, but I'll be in Michigan on business through the weekend. Usually I try to go a few of the games every year. Maybe I can convince a sports bar with an incredible sports package to play it for me in some lonely corner.

jimsumner
09-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Injury report for Saturday.

Cooper Helfet-questionable-ankle

Quan Stevenson-out for season

That's it.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Injury report for Saturday.

Cooper Helfet-questionable-ankle

Quan Stevenson-out for season

That's it.
Looks like a short and simple injury list. Sorry to see that Helfet is questionable for this game; had been looking forward to seeing him play. I hope he's ready for the Wake game.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-02-2010, 03:08 PM
LOL, I live in Durham, but I'll be in Michigan on business through the weekend. Usually I try to go a few of the games every year. Maybe I can convince a sports bar with an incredible sports package to play it for me in some lonely corner.
OK, then I'll cut you some slack. LOL. You realize the "wanker" comment was from my attempt to copy 1)a) from the HPR and this software "filtered" the word used in the HPR and wouldn't print it here. Nothing personal intended.http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/4.gif

94duke
09-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Looks like only on ESPN3.com.

Let me rephrase.
Does anybody know if TWC in Durham is allowing ESPN3.com yet?
Thanks.

Olympic Fan
09-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Let me rephrase.
Thanks.

I tried to sign up this morning (Sept. 2) and it was no go.

I had heard that the new deal between Time-Warner and Disney (ABC/ESPN/etc). would include TW streaming ESPN3. But somebody told me today that while the two sides have agreed on a deal in priinciple (which is why TW didn't black out ESPN Wednesday), still a few details left to settle. He THINKS that TW will add ESPN3 in the next few days, but couldn';t guarantee it.

Maybe somebody who knows more about it than me can give you a better update.

Acymetric
09-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Let me rephrase.
Thanks.

An alternate possibility...if you're anywhere near a college campus where you could get internet access through the Universities network (either by connecting your computer or finding a computer lab) you can get ESPN3 there, anyone can access ESPN3 so long as its through a college internet connection. Not sure if your circumstances would make that a possibility for you, but if it is that may be your best bet. Good luck, hope you get to see the game!

AisanderD
09-02-2010, 05:52 PM
I wonder if I tramp up to U of Mich and try to stream the Duke game in their library if I'll be run out of Ann Arbor.:D

CameronBornAndBred
09-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Snyderwine keeps his kicking job.

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/9370866/article-Snyderwine-retains-job-as-Blue-Devils--kicker?instance=main_article

peloton
09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Snyderwine keeps his kicking job.

Thanks for posting, Chris. Although I don't live in Durham, I do work in RTP and guess I have no excuse for not picking up at least the Friday Herald-Sun papers to keep up with Duke sports related news. It's good to hear that Cut's attempt at motivating these two to improve appears to be successful at least initially - we'll find out for sure soon enough. C'mon Devils! Let's send the Phoenix back into their pile of ashes!

Acymetric
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks for posting, Chris. Although I don't live in Durham, I do work in RTP and guess I have no excuse for not picking up at least the Friday Herald-Sun papers to keep up with Duke sports related news. It's good to hear that Cut's attempt at motivating these two to improve appears to be successful at least initially - we'll find out for sure soon enough. C'mon Devils! Let's send the Phoenix back into their pile of ashes!

I wouldn't bother unless you're getting it for free...just check the website under the sports section for most articles (including some that aren't actually in the paper I think). I haven't really cared for the Sun since the new ownership took over...which is unfortunate because I already didn't like the N&O...so much for reading the paper I guess.

Bob Green
09-03-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm looking for confirmation that www.wsfl.com will be streaming the radio broadcast for football games again this year. Internet radio is my best option for the game.

GLTBD
09-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Hi, my husband and I will be going to our first Duke football game and have a parking pass for the grounds lot. Could someone tell me where exactly this is located? :o

Lets go DUKE!

Bob Green
09-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi, my husband and I will be going to our first Duke football game and have a parking pass for the grounds lot. Could someone tell me where exactly this is located? :o

Lets go DUKE!

They say a picture is worth a thousand words:

http://www.goduke.com//pdf8/708647.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4200

sandinmyshoes
09-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I know this is just a "tune up" game, but I'm so eager to see if the positives that built during the course of the season last year can carry on as seamlessly as possible into the new season. I'm willing for us to have a series of baby steps, just so long as we're progressing.

Kimist
09-04-2010, 12:33 PM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words:

http://www.goduke.com//pdf8/708647.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4200

Does anyone know if you can turn into the "751 lot" from 751/Cameron Blvd, or if instead you have to fight the traffic light and congestion by first turning onto Science Drive?

(I know you can exit that lot onto 751 - just need to know if you can ENTER it from there.)

Also, the previously mentioned map shows Highway 751 "Iron Duke Parking Pass Checkpoints" at both Erwin Rd and Duke Univ Rd. Are they possibly going to "close" the road except for Iron Dukes who have parking permits displayed?

Thanx!

k

PumpkinFunk
09-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Walked from Card towards the main quad today at about 12:30 doing some work for the band and saw the Brunchgaters started, and walked by Ozzie chatting up a security guard with the "When I was an undergraduate..." talk. Football season is on.

Indoor66
09-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Walked from Card towards the main quad today at about 12:30 doing some work for the band and saw the Brunchgaters started, and walked by Ozzie chatting up a security guard with the "When I was an undergraduate..." talk. Football season is on.

Yeah, he was sayin that when he was an undergrad the Chapel was under construction. :p

loran16
09-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Will snrubchat be up by game time? I can't get into it right now...it keeps saying the server is taking too long.

towerview road
09-04-2010, 07:04 PM
The Snrub Chat link isn't working.

Is there going to be a chat tonight for the Duke-Elon game? Anyone know?

Go Duke!

(BTW, the live feed is up and running on Espn3.com)

loran16
09-04-2010, 07:08 PM
I second this question. Also, this seems like a terrible start.

taiw93
09-04-2010, 07:09 PM
For my fellow ESPN3-less fans, wsfl.com's online stream indeed does have the game.

towerview road
09-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Is it just me or does the defensive line look a little bit confused out there? Riddle is doing a good job of using the clock to change things up.

loran16
09-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Is it just me or does the defensive line look a little bit confused out there? Riddle is doing a good job of using the clock to change things up.

The Defensive Line is our weak spot this year, too many players graduated.

Our Defense tends to have a defensive plan of "Bend but don't break" at times. They can't keep doing that against a 1-AA team, no matter how good Elon might be.

JBDuke
09-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Will snrubchat be up by game time? I can't get into it right now...it keeps saying the server is taking too long.

I can't get into it, either, so it looks like we may be chat-less during the game.

Elon just marched down the field like our defense wasn't there, but we stiffened up in the red zone and kept them to 3 points.

Now we'll see what the offense looks like.

loran16
09-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Renfree first pass is a success.

The running game's first 2 carries, not so much.

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 07:17 PM
1st TD of the year is a nice run. Actually had a few decent runs on that drive. Good sign.

JBDuke
09-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Two nice big carries by Desmond Scott, the second for a touchdown. Duke leads 7-3.

loran16
09-04-2010, 07:18 PM
And of course, Scott TOUCHDOWN!

I mean, rushing against a smaller team doesn't mean much, but if you don't do it, that's a problem.

JBDuke
09-04-2010, 07:22 PM
It's early, but we're not getting much pressure on the QB from our defense. Elon's QB is having plenty of time to throw, which is making it tough on the secondary. We just gave up a Defensive Interference...

loran16
09-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Well the debut of Johnny Williams at CB doesn't start great....Pass Interference.

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Nice defensive series other than the interference. Seem to be getting more pressure now.

loran16
09-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Good to see the Killer Vs don't appear to be rusty.

loran16
09-04-2010, 07:34 PM
And then the Offensive line fails and gives up a sack.

Can someone explain to me rushing in a 3rd and 22 situation? If it's a really good pass D maybe, but this is 1-AA Elon here people. GO FOR IT ON THIRD DOWN. We have to see what Renfree can do, why are you being super conservative?

Greg_Newton
09-04-2010, 07:37 PM
2 good pressures in a row on the QB resulting in him throwing it away, then a nice move by Foxx (redshirt freshman) for a sack. QB had time, secondary must have had good coverage.

Tough start for Johnny Williams at CB. Our secondary has looked decent besides him, but that's the second big play he's given up counting the pass interference.

The run blocking is also a little concerning. Besides Scott's 2 big runs, there hasn't really been anywhere to go... we should be winning the battle of the trenches versus Elon.

In other news, Connor Vernon continues to be the man.

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 07:39 PM
And then the Offensive line fails and gives up a sack.

Can someone explain to me rushing in a 3rd and 22 situation? If it's a really good pass D maybe, but this is 1-AA Elon here people. GO FOR IT ON THIRD DOWN. We have to see what Renfree can do, why are you being super conservative?

The thinking is that if you pass the QB will try to force it and possibly cause an int. Also, the defense is going to be more aggressive if they read pass, and be more likely to get a sack.

loran16
09-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Yep, Johnny Williams is having a bad first game at CB.

TOUCHDOWN VARNER! Killer Vs working wonders.

loran16
09-04-2010, 07:45 PM
The thinking is that if you pass the QB will try to force it and possibly cause an int. Also, the defense is going to be more aggressive if they read pass, and be more likely to get a sack.

I'm aware of the reasoning. But this is a FCS program....we should be more aggressive and willing to take risks against them. With a new QB, we should be testing him in tough situations, and these qualify, without being so dangerous as to make us worried about a loss.

Greg_Newton
09-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Run blocking looks like "same ol" so far, but the good news is that Renfree looks REALLY GOOD. I know it's Elon, but boy has he been on point so far.

Defense is also starting to really pick it up the last 3 series' or so.

21-3, woohoo!!!!!!

ETA: That was a pretty "badarse"streamroll by King there upon the replay. Almost Shockeyesque.

taiw93
09-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Though it is hard to do a good scouting job by listening to a game on radio, Renfree seems like the real deal; he's been virtually perfect so far.

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm aware of the reasoning. But this is a FCS program....we should be more aggressive and willing to take risks against them. With a new QB, we should be testing him in tough situations, and these qualify, without being so dangerous as to make us worried about a loss.

I agree it was probably overly conservative. On the other hand, we've run some deep pass plays and a good number of blitz, so I feel the overall level of aggression has been good.

In other news, the special teams have been solid. Nice kicking, good coverage, decent returns.

loran16
09-04-2010, 07:57 PM
So the secondary continues to look good if not for Johnny Williams. I wonder if he can come back as a receiver? This might not work out.

loran16
09-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Once again, it's fine to give up a few FGs. But this is a 1-AA team (sure it's a good one, but still) and they should not be able to make 3 very good drives with one resulting in a TD near the end of the half.

They have no rushing offense (essentially) and yet they've found way too many open men. Not Acceptable.

Greg_Newton
09-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Cross your fingers. Realllllly hope Vernon's alright.

ETA: Great to see him jog off. Hope that wasn't a concussion though, looks like he hit his head on the ground.

loran16
09-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Cross your fingers. Realllllly hope Vernon's alright.

ETA: Great to see him jog off. Hope that wasn't a concussion though, looks like he hit his head on the ground.

Well he's back on the field fwiw, though if it is a concussion that is definitely not conclusive (we need to see how he feels after the game).

JBDuke
09-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Renfree was 17-21 for 227 yards in the first half. Not bad!

4decadedukie
09-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Taking the long-range view and comparing this game to Richmond a year ago, Duke has improved; obviously, a lot of work -- measured in seasons -- is required, but this team has some potential.

loran16
09-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Bad start again. Cmon D, SHOW THAT YOU ARE WORTHY OF BEING A 1-A DEFENSE.

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Really like seeing that crowd.

Secondary looks like it's going to need some work.

Oh, and let's see if we can keep Austin Kelly's streak alive.

Edit: Like the call to go for it, don't like using a sneak. Espescially if you're going to telegraph it by sending in the backup.

loran16
09-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Really like seeing that crowd.

Secondary looks like it's going to need some work.

Oh, and let's see if we can keep Austin Kelly's streak alive.

Has Kelly been seen yet this game?

Also, wtf Connette. Have i mentioned i hate using a second QB as a running option?

Greg_Newton
09-04-2010, 09:12 PM
This is (unfortunately) turning into a game. We need some guys to start making plays.

ETA: Matt Daniels, glad you were reading! Hopefully it holds up under review.

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Has Kelly been seen yet this game?

Also, wtf Connette. Have i mentioned i hate using a second QB as a running option?

They've shown Kelly a couple of times, but I don't think he's been thrown to.

The second QB can work if your backup is Tebow. Otherwise, yeah.

Edit:

This is (unfortunately) turning into a game. We need some guys to start making plays.

Heh, right on cue.

loran16
09-04-2010, 09:16 PM
They've shown Kelly a couple of times, but I don't think he's been thrown to.

Thanks, I'm listening to Bob and he hasn't mentioned Kelly i don't think.

The second QB can work if your backup is Tebow. Otherwise, yeah.

Agreed.

ALSO: Nice Interception.

loran16
09-04-2010, 09:33 PM
The D can't hold, the FG unit fails miserably. And even the O hasn't been as efficient.

Not Good at all.

FireOgilvie
09-04-2010, 09:37 PM
This is a 2nd half meltdown so far. We've been running way too much and not getting anywhere. Renfree has been impressive; we need to just let him throw it downfield. Let's go DUKE!

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 09:42 PM
There we go. Good third down conversion and now a nice gain. Keep those chains moving.

Edit: More good news, UNC is losing 30-10, and it isn't even half time yet.

Edit 2: TD! If we do lose this game, it won't be because of the offense.

loran16
09-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm hoping they've been using this game to test out their Rushing offense in a real game situation, but really, there's been little sign that Duke has learned how to run-block much better than last year.

JBDuke
09-04-2010, 09:48 PM
How good did Snead look on that touchdown drive? Wow! A nice answer to Elon's drive before.

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 09:49 PM
That could be the back breaker

Edit 2: I think we've worn their line down. Running should get easier.

loran16
09-04-2010, 09:53 PM
BTW, I can't be the only one who thinks this:

Why can't Duke pick 2 RBs, Use them 99% of the time for running plays, and leave the others for backup and other roles?

Ted Roof's teams did this also and it drives me crazy. Scott and Snead are your best RBs....USE THEM. Don't waste time with these others. Seriously.

Greg_Newton
09-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Nice to finish this one off comfortably.

Bama is beating San Jose St 48-3 at halftime. :eek:

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 10:01 PM
BTW, I can't be the only one who thinks this:

Why can't Duke pick 2 RBs, Use them 99% of the time for running plays, and leave the others for backup and other roles?

Ted Roof's teams did this also and it drives me crazy. Scott and Snead are your best RBs....USE THEM. Don't waste time with these others. Seriously.

Scott and Snead aren't really power backs, so I think there's value in having someone who specializes in that situation. I agree that there isn't a need for more than 1, problably Hollingsworth so we could have given Thompson a redshirt. Too late now though.

loran16
09-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Scott and Snead aren't really power backs, so I think there's value in having someone who specializes in that situation. I agree that there isn't a need for more than 1, problably Hollingsworth so we could have given Thompson a redshirt. Too late now though.

Right. Unless Snead really is that amazing (possible), I would've redshirted him and just gone with Scott and Hollingsworth.

Regardless there's really no reason for Thompson to be playing.

Greg_Newton
09-04-2010, 10:11 PM
As alarming as this game was, it's interesting to note that we are going to handily beat the 7-8 point line. Well, not quite AS handily after that TD, but still.

Wake will be a pretty crucial test next week. We don't really want to be 1-2 coming out of the Bama game, with things not getting much easier.

Big positives: Renfree, Snead, Scott at times.

Negatives: O-line and secondary did not appear to be as improved as advertised. Although, the O-line did do extremely well with pass blocking... it's just the run blocking that we're still getting zero push forward from the line of scrimmage on.

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 10:11 PM
That was mean :cool:

Edit: The run at the end of the game, not anyone's comments.

loran16
09-04-2010, 10:13 PM
As alarming as this game was, it's interesting to note that we are going to handily beat the 7-8 point line. Well, not quite AS handily after that TD, but still.

Wake will be a pretty crucial test next week. We don't really want to be 1-2 coming out of the Bama game, with things not getting much easier.

Big positives: Renfree, Snead, Scott at times.

Negatives: O-line and secondary did not appear to be as improved as advertised. Although, the O-line did do extremely well with pass blocking... it's just the run blocking that we're still getting zero push forward from the line of scrimmage on.

Right. The worst case scenario for this team appears to be NC State last year- A team that can score a lot, but needs to win in shootouts because the Defense is just very poor.

Hopefully that's not the case here.

4decadedukie
09-04-2010, 10:15 PM
ZERO TURNOVERS (I believe)!!!

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 10:18 PM
ZERO TURNOVERS (I believe)!!!

Nope. Connette fumbled on the first sneak.

4decadedukie
09-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Nope. Connette fumbled on the first sneak.

You're right (obviously). That was dismal and I can only suspect I immediately expunged it form my memory.