PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Mock Draft

CEF1959
08-11-2010, 05:28 PM
I don't remember seeing this here yet. The Bleacher Report's recent musings:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/429989-2011-nba-mock-draft-harrison-barnes-and-the-year-of-the-freshman#page/24

Explicit Content Warning: One of our favorite Duke seniors isn't projected to go in the first round here. Parents may want to block the content from children.

VaDukie
08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
"But we should all remind ourselves of how poorly Duke players tend to work out in the NBA."

I don't know how someone can think this unless they willfully ignore evidence.

CameronBornAndBred
08-11-2010, 06:25 PM
"But we should all remind ourselves of how poorly Duke players tend to work out in the NBA."

Grant Hill---sucks
Shane Battier--sucks
Carlos Boozer--sucks (and like Grant Hill sucked on an Olympic team)
JJ Redick--started great, but now sucks
Chris Duhon--consistently sucky
Jason Williams--would still be sucking if he hadn't wrecked his bike, particularily sucky rookie though.
Christian Laettner--long NBA career of suckitude.

MartyClark
08-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Lot's of Euros here who, of course, always do very well in the NBA, far better than Duke players.

If he stays healthy, I'd be very surprised if Nolan isn't a very successful NBA player. It's hard to speculate on whether he will be a first round pick but given the number of first rounders who don't live up to expectations, people on this board sometimes do a better job of projecting a college player's NBA success than NBA general managers.

jimsumner
08-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Add Corey Maggette, Elton Brand, Mike Dunleavy, Dahntay Jones and Luol Deng.

Grant Hill---sucks
Shane Battier--sucks
Carlos Boozer--sucks (and like Grant Hill sucked on an Olympic team)
JJ Redick--started great, but now sucks
Chris Duhon--consistently sucky
Jason Williams--would still be sucking if he hadn't wrecked his bike, particularily sucky rookie though.
Christian Laettner--long NBA career of suckitude.

CameronBornAndBred
08-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Add Corey Maggette, Elton Brand, Mike Dunleavy, Dahntay Jones and Luol Deng.
Yeah...I just couldn't wrap my brain around the entirety of Duke's sucky NBA legacy. It was getting depressing.

Osiagledknarf
08-11-2010, 07:16 PM

This whole sentence turned me off from the rest of the article. A couple things about it; How would the past supposed "bad play" affect Kyrie at all? And, his whole sentiment about poor success for Duke players in the NBA is complete and utter nosense, though that is a topic for a different thread.

I think Kyrie Irving is a better overall prospect then Brandon Knight. I think Kyrie has better passing ability, court vision, speed and is right up there with scoring ability. I think Knight is a better shooter, but that is close as well.

Also, Jon Henson going 30th next season. If Jon Henson is projected to go 30th next season, he will not come out. Also, Jon Henson has lottery type with his size, length and his ability to block shots. He I think is WAY underrated in this mock.

As far as Nolan being in there. Ehh, I can see it either way. I think he will make as a middle to late round pick. Guys who can consistenly shoot the 3 and can play defense like he can don't usually drop too far in the draft. Late teens to high 20's for him.

jimsumner
08-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Minor point, but it's John Henson. Not Jon.

Nolan? He's a 6'2" shooting guard, a very, very good college shooting guard. But he's not going to play wing at the next level. And he's not going to be Duke's primary point next season.

So, someone has to take a chance on his ability to change positions in the NBA. Will they? Probably. The NBA is full of players who played a different position in college. But it is not unreasonable to see this in a different light.

MarkD83
08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I hope that more and more articles like this are written and that Kyrie continues to drop in the minds of the "experts". In fact I think Reggie Bullock should be a lottery pick and so should Tyler Zeller.

DukieTiger
08-11-2010, 10:30 PM
I thought it was interesting that Mason was not in there.

I loved the line on Calipari in the Brandon Knight section.

Kedsy
08-11-2010, 11:30 PM
As far as Nolan being in there. Ehh, I can see it either way. I think he will make as a middle to late round pick. Guys who can consistenly shoot the 3 and can play defense like he can don't usually drop too far in the draft. Late teens to high 20's for him.

Well, I happen to agree that Nolan will go mid- to late-first round (though more likely late than mid), but I'm not sure I buy your rationale. Who will he defend at the next level (assuming he's in a backcourt with a PG who will guard the opposing PG)?

The fact that he's not really big enough to guard NBA "2" guards is exactly why a lot of people leave him out of their mock drafts.

Jderf
08-12-2010, 05:08 AM
This whole sentence turned me off from the rest of the article. A couple things about it; How would the past supposed "bad play" affect Kyrie at all? And, his whole sentiment about poor success for Duke players in the NBA is complete and utter nosense, though that is a topic for a different thread.

I think Kyrie Irving is a better overall prospect then Brandon Knight. I think Kyrie has better passing ability, court vision, speed and is right up there with scoring ability. I think Knight is a better shooter, but that is close as well.

Also, Jon Henson going 30th next season. If Jon Henson is projected to go 30th next season, he will not come out. Also, Jon Henson has lottery type with his size, length and his ability to block shots. He I think is WAY underrated in this mock.

I think you're making the mistake of trying to engage sensibly with material on bleacher report. It's just regurgitated "info" from other media outlets...

moonpie23
08-12-2010, 09:09 AM
haha.....the bleacher "report"......always backhanding something about your team....

if a newspaper that sucks is a "rag".....what's a blog that sucks?

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_4.gif

sagegrouse
08-12-2010, 11:46 PM
haha.....the bleacher "report"......always backhanding something about your team....

if a newspaper that sucks is a "rag".....what's a blog that sucks?

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_4.gif

Hmmm.... Digital cesspool? Needs a one-word term, I believe.

sagegrouse