PDA

View Full Version : Class Acts

ivduke
08-10-2010, 07:21 AM
I want to take a minute to relate a story about our Duke basketball players. I took the family on a 400 mile ride to watch the NC Pro-Am semi-finals and finals this past weekend. It was a great time! I came away really impressed with our Dukies, as my sons (7 and 11) both had the oppurtunity to talk, shake hands, pose for pictures, and get autographs from everyone who was present. Seth, Ryan, and Andre all played in the games and although I'm sure there was some exhaustion---all of them took the time to make the dreams of two little boys a reality. Kyrie and Tyler were more than willing to sign and pose with them, and I came away especially impressed with Josh. When I thanked him for taking the time to speak with us, he said "anything for the kids", shook my hand and gave me a "man-hug". What great kids we have representing Duke University!

4decadedukie
08-10-2010, 08:02 AM
In several recent threads, DBR participants have commented on the "sense of entitlement" that is far too common among athletes (including some collegiate basketball stars) and the self-destructiveness that it frequently engenders (leading to criminal and other antisocial behaviors). Your terrific post documents an attitude that is common with Duke student-athletes and that is the antithesis of celebrity-based "entitlement."

I am so pleased for your sons, and so proud of our players.

I have often speculated that Coach K may reject certain highly-rated prospective players, because they (and, perhaps, their families) do not pass the "character, attitude and values" test. We can all remember criticism -- more a few years ago then now -- of Duke's recruiting and of "potential stars" matriculating at other universities. When next this becomes a frequent theme -- and, unfortunately, it is certain to -- I hope we remember this thread, and all it conveys.

whereinthehellami
08-10-2010, 08:27 AM
The Hairstons live nearby and are known around these parts as a really down to earth, solid family. My boss is a UNC fan and has a daughter that used to play AAU ball with Josh's younger sister. My boss said that the Hairstons all took the time to interact with his daughter who was not that good. He has seen Josh around the gym alot and it has pained him to say that Josh was just a really nice, polite kid. He is actually looking forward to watching Josh play at Duke and hopes that he does well.

airowe
08-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Great story to hear. If anyone went to the Pro-Am this Summer, you saw all of our players taking the time to pose for pictures, sign autographs, etc. I never saw one of them turn someone down or even shy away from contact with fans.

I think there are many more stories out there just like yours....

Newton_14
08-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Great story to hear. If anyone went to the Pro-Am this Summer, you saw all of our players taking the time to pose for pictures, sign autographs, etc. I never saw one of them turn someone down or even shy away from contact with fans.

I think there are many more stories out there just like yours....

I can validate this as well. The nights I went, our guys signed numerous autographs, took pics, with kids and adults alike. Kyrie was mugged most nights but I never saw him turn down anyone.

Our guys also were very chatty and friendly with the folks running the league. Mason especially seems to have a great relationship with those guys as well.

Our guys represented well this year and even coming off a National Title there was no "air of entitlement" around them at all.