PDA

View Full Version : Jon Scheyer eye injury update

opiehub
08-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Here's a story on Jon Scheyer's recovery from a freak eye injury that is jeopardizing his basketball career:

http://www.cslinsider.com/news/scheyerstillhealingfromfreakeyeinjury.aspx?

weezie
08-10-2010, 07:25 AM
And he sounds so strong and upbeat, facing what must be a difficult recovery. Gosh, I sure hope he comes through at 100%, regardless of whatever happens in basketball. Such a positive and outstanding man. So extremely proud of him.

4decadedukie
08-10-2010, 07:47 AM
And he sounds so strong and upbeat, facing what must be a difficult recovery. Gosh, I sure hope he comes through at 100%, regardless of whatever happens in basketball. Such a positive and outstanding man. So extremely proud of him.

Very well stated. I have long believed that Jon is destined for great successes, due to his intelligence, character, leadership, selflessness, valuers, attitude and personality. Many months ago on some other thread, speculated that he would join other distinguished basketball alumni as a Duke Assistant Coach (and eventually would be an ideal Duke Head Coach candidate, potentially to replace Coach Dawkins). Attitude is a primary determinate in life; very few individuals have Jon's attitude and very few will share his levels of success.

ElSid
08-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Love to see him out there smiling and focusing on the positives. He's got a lot for which to be thankful but it would certainly be easy to feel sorry for oneself in that situation.

Makes me thankful, also, that Duke largely avoided injuries last season. So quickly, for your team or yourself or for those you love, things can turn. Grateful for every healthy day!

Good luck Jon and keep fighting.

gep
08-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Love to see him out there smiling and focusing on the positives. He's got a lot for which to be thankful but it would certainly be easy to feel sorry for oneself in that situation.

Makes me thankful, also, that Duke largely avoided injuries last season. So quickly, for your team or yourself or for those you love, things can turn. Grateful for every healthy day!

Good luck Jon and keep fighting.

Amazing... after 4 fantastic years at Duke, and a NC at the end... then within a mere 4 months, gets mono, then this eye injury. It does speak to the fortunate circumstances this past season the everyone was healthy to the end. Thank you DUKE. Good luck to Jon... you will succeed.

Billy Dat
08-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Let's say this injury scuttles any pro career, in the NBA or otherwise, he could have. If given the choice, would he choose the championship he won at Duke and no pro career or no title at Duke but a 5-10 pro career in the NBA? I know how we'd all answer, but I wonder how he would answer.

roywhite
08-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Sadly, this is reminiscent of backcourt stars Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams, who each had great careers at Duke, won a national championship (2 for Bobby), and had their pro careers curtailed by serious injuries.

Hope you get well, Jon, and best wishes in whatever you do. Your great play and great character has been a gift to us.

Bluedog
08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Let's say this injury scuttles any pro career, in the NBA or otherwise, he could have. If given the choice, would he choose the championship he won at Duke and no pro career or no title at Duke but a 5-10 pro career in the NBA? I know how we'd all answer, but I wonder how he would answer.

That's somewhat of a ridiculous question as one isn't related to the other in any way. Also, if you say no pro career vs. a 5-10 year pro career in the NBA, that could easily be a $15 million difference. So, I'd say the VAST majority of the general population would choose $15 million over an NCAA championship. Not even close in my mind if you posed it like that to everyday people. In any event, I hope Jon gets well soon and shows what he's made of. It must be very frustrating and eye injuries are always unnerving; you can't see clearly after having great vision your whole life and are just hoping it heals over time. He's gotten through adversity before though so I wouldn't bet against him!

Billy Dat
08-11-2010, 11:10 AM
That's somewhat of a ridiculous question as one isn't related to the other in any way. Also, if you say no pro career vs. a 5-10 year pro career in the NBA, that could easily be a $15 million difference. So, I'd say the VAST majority of the general population would choose $15 million over an NCAA championship. Not even close in my mind if you posed it like that to everyday people. In any event, I hope Jon gets well soon and shows what he's made of. It must be very frustrating and eye injuries are always unnerving; you can't see clearly after having great vision your whole life and are just hoping it heals over time. He's gotten through adversity before though so I wouldn't bet against him!

As I read the article, I immediately considered, hypothetically, that Jon's hoop career might be over. If that were the case, being the competitor that he is, would he trade the title that he won for a meaningful pro career where he could continue to scratch that competitive itch while the testosterone of youth still courses through his veins? I didn't think about the money aspect of the NBA, more the prestige as I don't think he dreamed of playing 5-10 years overseas.

CEF1959
08-11-2010, 05:40 PM
JS is going to be fine no matter what happens. He's got all the tools to succeed at whatever he chooses to do. I hope he gets a shot at professional basketball, but the NBA seems very unlikely, at least in the short term. Regardless of whether he ever plays professionally (and I assume he will, just not in the NBA), a basketball career always ends early in a guy's life (comparatively speaking), and JS is set to make his post-basketball mark, whether it's now or a few years from now. If the eye injury prevents him from ever playing pro ball, at least he'll have that championship ring and an earlier start on whatever path he chooses next.

cspan37421
08-13-2010, 08:03 AM
From front page update...

that there IS a recovery period is actually very encouraging news. I was (still am) worried that his career was over.

Duke Mom
08-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Here's wishing Jon a speedy and complete recovery!

miramar
08-13-2010, 09:58 PM
The article says the eye will recover on its own, but Dave Bing of the Detroit Pistons (the current Detroit mayor) had a great career despite having fuzzy vision in one eye because of a serious childhood injury:

http://www.nba.com/pistons/history/dave_bing_profile.html

While I hope it doesn't happen in John's case, I think the good eye takes over even when the bad eye does not recover completely.

BTW, Bing had a really nerdy and whiny college roommate and teammate, so see if you can recognize him in the photo on the right:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090430/bing

gep
08-13-2010, 11:40 PM
While I hope it doesn't happen in John's case, I think the good eye takes over even when the bad eye does not recover completely.

Wouldn't a bad eye with the good eye taking over affect depth perception?

SoCalDukeFan
08-14-2010, 01:54 AM
Great player for Duke. Everything that I can tell from a distance is that he is a fine person as well.

My guess is that Jon has a great future, with or without pro basketball.

SoCal

ElSid
08-14-2010, 02:30 AM
Wouldn't a bad eye with the good eye taking over affect depth perception?

no not necessarily. it just "taxes" one eye more than the other, so as to meet the mind's preferred sense of depth perception...if that makes sense.

i have one eye that has always been worse and has been worsening at a more rapid rate than the other eye. despite the worsening of that eye, my over all vision hasn't really suffered. yet, as my eye guy told me the other day, i'm more likely to experience discomfort and/or headaches as that good eye adjusts. or something like that. your brain adjusts and you deal with the consequences, is what i took from that.

as for jon, different story. detached retina is no joke. harder to deal with than glasses for nearsightedness.

gep
08-14-2010, 02:33 AM
thanks for you personal experience...

moonpie23
08-14-2010, 02:29 PM
i have sight in only one eye......accident when i was 15 months old....i won't share the details, but, moms and dads, keep your toddlers away from glass houseold objects...

anyway, i do not seem to have depth perception problems, however, i've lived most of my life with this......

the only things that i'm at a disadvantage at are :

1 - can't get a pilot's license

2 - can't see the dang-soon-to-be-freaking-everwhere- 3 D presentations that require the funky glasses....

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_2.gif

SupaDave
08-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Sadly, this is reminiscent of backcourt stars Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams, who each had great careers at Duke, won a national championship (2 for Bobby), and had their pro careers curtailed by serious injuries.

I think this is a bit extreme. Phyiscally Jon is fine and is probably still working out in some fashion. Jon will be out a couple months and throw on some glasses. B and J were in extreme accidents that involved extreme rehab.

But that's the beautiful thing - they BOTH came back. I think we can expect Jon to do the same (Kareem style of course). His career is far from over and this time may allow him to get some much needed bulk.

As an added bonus in his scenario - the Heat are notorious for mid and late season additions. He was REALLY close to getting a training camp invite and I'm sure that's still out there. Pat Riley stays active and I'm sure he's monitoring Jon - whom I know he likes a lot.

Judging from his twitter - Jon is doing fine.

CEF1959
08-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah, but remember: JS isn't a proven NBA player coming back. Hurley went to the NBA as a #7, and Jaywill went #2. JS is a guy who, when completely healthy, didn't get drafted at all. I wish him well, but I don't think the comparisons to NBA comeback stories involving high first-round draft picks holds up.

greybeard
08-16-2010, 04:34 PM
BTW, Bing had a really nerdy and whiny college roommate and teammate, so see if you can recognize him in the photo on the right:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090430/bing

By the way, the two guys on the "other" team in that picture, who happened to be on the winning side, by the way, were two of my boyz from Cornell: first-team All Ivies Steve Cram and Bob DeLuca.

Cram was a 6'7" center who was brilliant on and off the court. He died in his early 20s. Impecable timing, deadly hook shot with either hand, and just saw the game incredibly well. Great rebounder, passer, and was amazingly smooth and deft on the court.

DeLuca was a Jr. and was first team All-Ivy the next year as well. The man could score the ball--think Bob Verga here. Yes, he was that good. 6' 2", broad and wide shoulders, he had this jump shot going to his right that was just like Verga's, only DeLuca shot it from off to the right of and above his ear, from range we are talking, and with a ridiculously high arch. Could take it to the basket too.

That team's starting five could play with anybody and did; beat Bill Bradley's Princeton, Bing's Syracuse, I think Ohio State, and alas came in third in the Ivies. Your boy K's freshman coach at Army, David Bliss, was the captain, they had an animal of a "power" forward who would get you the ball and could score it too; and a do-it-all guard/forward Bob Berube who I think was second or third team All Ivy.

Sorry about this. But, the picture, I couldn't help myself.

wtm001
09-16-2010, 01:15 PM
According to this video it looks like Jon will be working out with the Utah Jazz, sorry if this is old news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xthUpJzGpU&feature=sub

Jeff Frosh
09-16-2010, 01:39 PM
That's fantastic news that Jon is cleared for all activities (life and basketball). I am looking forward to keeping tabs on him. Another great representative of Duke University.

4decadedukie
09-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Absolutely great news -- prayers have been answered -- regarding one of Duke's most distinguished student-athletes. I am so pleased!!

moonpie23
09-16-2010, 02:11 PM
AWESOME NEWS.......thanks for the update....go Jon go...we're pulling for you...

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_2.gif

wallyman
09-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Fabulous news. Best to Jon on the court and off....

Lord Ash
09-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Is it wrong that it breaks my heart a little to hear Jon talk about the team as "those guys" and "they?"

*sigh*

Devilsfan
09-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Wishing Jon and his family a happy and healthy new year.

basket1544
09-18-2010, 01:08 AM
Is it wrong that it breaks my heart a little to hear Jon talk about the team as "those guys" and "they?"

*sigh*

It was extremely strange to see Jon and Nolan together and think they won't be on the court together this season.
Also, I read on NBC Sports (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/dukes-jon-scheyer-gets-outside-shot-with-invite-to-jazz-camp.php) that Jon isn't going to try out with the Jazz. Any chance he's going to be invited to work out in Chicago?

4decadedukie
09-18-2010, 07:11 AM

I understand, but Jon's leadership, selflessness, and work ethic remain with this year's team and, I believe, they will be fundamental to our 2010-2011 successes. I suspect that is the legacy he would want. On a more personal note, I have a very strong belief that Jon's final days on Duke's bench in Cameron are far from over.

ricks68
09-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Wishing Jon and his family a happy and healthy new year.

I have to second that. Happy New Year to the whole Scheyer family.:)

ricks

SeattleIrish
09-19-2010, 01:59 AM
I read Jon was not going to be working out with the Jazz, but the story was very abrupt and didn't say WHY he wasn't working out. Is the eye injury keeping him from playing?

Any new/additional info? Scheyer will always be one of my favorite players.

s.i.

toughbuff1
09-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Looks like Jon will get a tryout with the Clippers.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/09/report-scheyer-going-to-clippers-training-camp.html

MIKESJ73
09-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Here is another link. Maybe the Clippers can send Bledsoe back to high school and Jon can get a spot on the roster.

http://www.examiner.com/nba-in-national/duke-blue-devil-jon-scheyer-accepts-invitation-to-clippers-training-camp

SilkyJ
09-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Here's another (http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/9627254/article-Scheyer-recovers-from-injury--heads-to-Clippers?instance=homefifthleft&sms_ss=twitter), courtesy of the Herald-Sun

MChambers
09-23-2010, 04:11 PM
I was hoping Jon would get a shot at the NBA, so I'm disappointed.:p

Does this mean I have to start following the Clips again? I remember when they were Duke West.

Jokes aside, it's probably a good opportunity, in the sense of having a good shot at making the roster in a rebuilding situation. Long-term, I wouldn't wish a career with the Clips on anyone, even McCants.

BD80
09-23-2010, 05:48 PM
... Maybe the Clippers can send Bledsoe back to high school ...

He doesn't have the grades or the credits to get in

Billy Dat
09-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Check out this video of Jon getting some rookie hazing at a Clippers party, who said white men can't dance?

http://www.twitvid.com/6WQNQ

BD80
09-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Check out this video of Jon getting some rookie hazing at a Clippers party, who said white men can't dance?

"who said white men can't dance?" Anybody who watched the video.

Bledsoe does a real good job distinguishing his right from his left and counting to two - for a UK guy!

NovaScotian
09-28-2010, 09:04 PM

i didn't realize donald sterling was in DTD
anybody?

mr. synellinden
10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Check out the box score from the Clips' first preseason game (http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301005022).

Jon played only four minutes, took only one shot, and still had by far the best +/- rating on the team.

Also look at the turnover numbers for some of the other players (Bledsoe: 6 in 30 minutes, Aminu: 4 in 18 minutes, Griffin: 5 in 22 minutes). Scheyer doesn't turn the ball over, plays smart and helps his team win. Give him a chance Clips!

SCMatt33
10-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Check out the box score from the Clips' first preseason game (http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301005022).

Jon played only four minutes, took only one shot, and still had by far the best +/- rating on the team.

Also look at the turnover numbers for some of the other players (Bledsoe: 6 in 30 minutes, Aminu: 4 in 18 minutes, Griffin: 5 in 22 minutes). Scheyer doesn't turn the ball over, plays smart and helps his team win. Give him a chance Clips!

Good to see Scheyer doing what he does best, but I'm somewhat inclined to completely ignore the +/- numbers. Scheyer didn't play at all in the first half while the game was in question (not that anyone on the court cared about winning) and more importantly, he likely played against much lesser competition than Bledsoe and Aminu, who took some of the starters minutes (Bledsoe especially), with guys like Gordon and Davis held out of the game entirely.

I'm actually a little worried about the box score as it relates to Scheyer's chances since he was only able to get on the court for 4 minutes in a game where two of the top guards were held out entirely and no one cared about the outcome.