PDA

View Full Version : Duke Recruits on TV Monday Night

airowe
08-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Marshall Plumlee, Kaleb Tarczewski, Shabazz Muhammad, Alex Murphy, Quinn Cook, Amile Jefferson, Rodney Purvis, Quincy Miller, Deuce Bello etc. on CBS College Sports TV 8:45 PM tomorrow night (Monday). Check it out.

CameronBornAndBred
08-08-2010, 11:22 PM
I came here looking for football players..sigh.

60's Devil
08-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Concerned by Kelly's reluctance to dunk the ball.

94duke
08-09-2010, 09:25 AM

This has never bothered me before, and it doesn't bother me now.
I don't remember people complaining when Laettner didn't dunk every time.
BTW, I'm not comparing Kelly's talent/ability to Laettner's, just dunk frequency. ;)
I just don't think how often a guy dunks should worry us.

Devilsfan
08-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Watched some of the high school BB game. I find it hard to be lieve that Grant Hill, JWill, Battier, Boozer, Dunleavy etc. were EVER that bad. Maybe Duke coaching improved their team play but not THAT much. Am I missing something. Glad the coaching staff is off to coach the USA team or they might have waited until 2013 to offer if they saw tonights game.

roywhite
08-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Watched some of the high school BB game. I find it hard to be lieve that Grant Hill, JWill, Battier, Boozer, Dunleavy etc. were EVER that bad. Maybe Duke coaching improved their team play but not THAT much. Am I missing something. Glad the coaching staff is off to coach the USA team or they might have waited until 2013 to offer if they saw tonights game.

Well, these are 16 and 17 year-old players.

Actually, I have to agree with you in a sense; I started watching, and just couldn't stick with it, way too ragged. I respect the coaches and talent scouts who have to spend good parts of their summer watching such sloppy play.

Newton_14
08-09-2010, 10:13 PM

Hmm... trying to find a connection between "Duke Recruits On TV Monday Night" and "Concerned by Kelly's reluctance to dunk the ball"??:confused: What am I missing there??

I missed the game tonight but any reports on how Marshall looked out there? He played really well in a Pro-Am game last week. Interested to find out how he fared at the Adidas Nation camp and in the game that wrapped the event up tonight.

dukejim1
08-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Marshall was very solid, worked hard, hit the boards and ran the court. Did not get a real chance to show any post moves. If he works as hard as most people says he does he will be a big help to us in 2-3 years. Certainly looked stronger than the first time I saw him play.

CameronConvert
08-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Marshall was solid, real willingness to do the dirty work. Obviously it's a guard's game but he banged inside, had a nice clean-up dunk and a turn around jumper. Shabazz is explosive, struggled a little to find his rhythm (they all did) but showed flashes of high-level athleticism, very smooth. Liked Alex Murphy's game, hard not to see stylistically at least flashes of Singler. Quinn Cook didn't make much of an impression, solid but unspectacular. Kaleb was pretty much nonexistent.

The only player that really stood out for me was Kyle Anderson. Kids got the most unique skill set i've ever seen. Really big kid, not very athletic, but a pure point guard, or as pure a point as you'll ever see at 6'8". Give him two years to develop his body, and the kids gonna be a stud.

ACCBBallFan
08-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Watched some of the high school BB game. I find it hard to be lieve that Grant Hill, JWill, Battier, Boozer, Dunleavy etc. were EVER that bad. Maybe Duke coaching improved their team play but not THAT much. Am I missing something. Glad the coaching staff is off to coach the USA team or they might have waited until 2013 to offer if they saw tonights game.agreed, pretty ugly basketball, but maybe my expectations were too high.

I only saw the last few minutes of first half and the entire seocnd half. I knew Austin Rivers was not playing and did not see Gbinije or Murphy either.

Since it was an Addidas venue, lots of Baylor propsects on display. LeBryan Nash looked very good in spots and flashy bad in others.

2011 did best when Zeller and Plumlee were on the floor, and Muhammad seemed to be only guy on 2012 that did much.

Quinn Cook was MVP maybe by default, He seemed to be out of control a lot but his seemingly forced shots were going in.

Maybe it is par for the course in these venues but 2011 did not do a very good job of managing end of game situations. Even here though, Zeller had 5 fouls and threw the ball away during crunch time only to have 2012 turn it over twice when already down by 11.

So the least bad team won this time even though 2012 had won the 5 prior encounters.

Nugget
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
I didn't see last night's game, but I share the enthusiasm for Kyle Anderson's game.

I got to see him play three times over the Memorial Day weekend in the Nike EYBL, and I was extremely impressed by his skills and savvy. It obviously helped that he was on a very, very good New Jersey Playaz team, but still -- he's really good.

Outside of the well-known superstars, Kyle was the best player I saw that weekend.

Hopefully, we'll recruit him.

G man
08-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Obviously it is really sloppy and it feels like a pick up game with terrible shots going up, but that being said I liked everyone for the most part that Duke is chasing.
Murphy looked like he has a high skill set and a good shot loved his play. I feel that he is a must get for Duke.
Quincy has great handles and can score from all over the floor, but he struggles when he gets a body on him. Quincy is without a doubt a SF he could in a pinch play the four, but struggles with size.
Shabazz is a scorer flat out great in transition. He did appear to have some range not great, but not shabby either. Liked his moves, but he looks kind of guy though who needs to be the focal point of an offense.
Quinn Cook liked his passing ability a bunch. Also hit some tough ill advised shots. Not the most athletic dude on the planet, but could move up and down the floor and control tempo.
Marshall played well. He had a great move in the post faked to his right then spun back faded drilled the jumper. Liked how he contested shots. Always put a body on someone. Great pick up!!!
Amile Johnson is going to be good liked how he was always around the ball. He has a lot of room to grow, but i thought his development is well on its way.
Deuce Bello was not someone I would want on our roster. The guy never passes and never once pulled up for a jumper. He kept trying to get to hole and was getting roofed every time, but he did not stop. His game frustrated me. He is a good athlete, but I think that is where his game stops.