PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Wants Out

mr. synellinden
05-30-2007, 03:11 PM
How's this for a blockbuster trade idea?

Kobe and Bynum to Portland for

Jack, Randolph and the #1 pick?

Lakers:

Odom
Oden
Randolph
Jack
Vuajic/Mo Evans

Brown, Parker, Farmar, Turiaf off the bench

Portland

Aldridge
Bynum
Miles
Roy
Kobe

Webster, Magliore, Pryzbilla, Jones off the bench and a LOT of cap room to sign a free agent

I have no idea if it works salary cap wise, but does that make sense for both teams?

JasonEvans
05-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Hmmmmm- essentially this boils down to Kobe for Oden (the other guys are significant players, but Kobe and Oden are what really matter here).

So, do you take the unproven but unlimited potential center or the established but a little bit older stud wing?

If you were Portland, would you make this deal? I think the Lakers would do it in a heartbeat as Kobe is wearing out his welcome.

-Jason "I think I do it if I am Portland-- Kobe is just too good and too much of a sure-thing" Evans

Atlanta Duke
05-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Michael Wilbon was on ESPN Radio with Dan Patrick and said this only makes sense as a means for Kobe to muscle the ownership to bring back Jerry West. Two problems with that are West may want to kick back and at most be a consultaant while not wanting to be responsible for the demise of Kupchak as GM. As far as trading Bryant, Wilbon said it is next to impossible that an team will trade any package to LA for what remotely approaches Kobe's star power, which is what is needed to fill up Staples Center. Mark Cuban was discussed as one owner who might try to deal.

Not a pretty picture.

feldspar
05-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Not a pretty picture.
Indeed. Even more reason why I'm glad Coach K didn't end up there.

blazindw
05-30-2007, 04:15 PM
How's this for a blockbuster trade idea?

Kobe and Bynum to Portland for

Jack, Randolph and the #1 pick?

Lakers:

Odom
Oden
Randolph
Jack
Vuajic/Mo Evans

Brown, Parker, Farmar, Turiaf off the bench

Portland

Aldridge
Bynum
Miles
Roy
Kobe

Webster, Magliore, Pryzbilla, Jones off the bench and a LOT of cap room to sign a free agent

I have no idea if it works salary cap wise, but does that make sense for both teams?
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine

This is a trade machine that ESPN has (and recently placed on the front page of ESPN.com in reference to Kobe's trade demand). According to this, Kobe & Bynum for Jack & Randolph would not work, saying that they would need to cut about $3.2 million to make the trade work. With the #1 pick probably making about $4 million based on the rookie scale, it's possible that the #1 pick would be enough to make it work.

JasonEvans
05-30-2007, 04:21 PM
As far as trading Bryant, Wilbon said it is next to impossible that an team will trade any package to LA for what remotely approaches Kobe's star power, which is what is needed to fill up Staples Center. Mark Cuban was discussed as one owner who might try to deal.

Not a pretty picture.

Ahh, but Oden fulfills all those requirments. He would fill the stadium.

-Jason "I ask again, if you were GM of the Blazers or the Lakers would you do this deal?" Evans

feldspar
05-30-2007, 04:29 PM
-Jason "I ask again, if you were GM of the Blazers or the Lakers would you do this deal?" Evans

I wouldn't.

Not that I think Brandon Roy is the second coming of Kobe Bryant, but he fills some of that role I think. And Portland needs more defense than they do offense, IMO. And modern sports is about building on the future, not hanging your hat on a guy who's pushing 30 (and yes, I realize MJ had some of his best performances post-30, but still).

As a GM I'm thinking long-term and signing Odom, trying to shop Randolph off for a PG and hoping Roy keeps it up.

SilkyJ
05-30-2007, 04:32 PM
If I were the Lakers GM I would not do it. If I were the Blazers GM I would.

Not to mention if I were the Lakers GM I wouldn't be allowed to touch Bynum b/c he's one of the younger Buss' pet projects, apparently.

darthur
05-30-2007, 04:38 PM
I think this is actually very good for LA. While Kobe was there, they were never going to be bad enough to be a bottom-feeder, and so they were never to get the draft picks needed to rebuild. Now they can trade him off for some young stars, lose now and get some more picks, and then hope to be a serious contender again in a few years.

I see two problems: (1) Kevin Garnett is also on the market, and he will be competing with Kobe for offers, and (2) few teams with great young players are even going to consider trading.

It seems to me that one of the best candidates for (2) is Phoenix. This is a frustrated team that wants to win NOW, but has a ton of great bargaining pieces for a team looking to reload. How about something like Kobe + Odom for Stoudamire + Barbosa? Of course, if I were running the Suns, I'd be more interested in Garnett than Kobe, but who knows.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't understand caps or salary restrictions or any of that, I'm just having fun speculating.

mr. synellinden
05-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Ahh, but Oden fulfills all those requirments. He would fill the stadium.

If I am the Lakers, I do that deal in a heartbeat. They are obviously not going anywhere with the current roster. Cutting Kobe's salary and replacing it with Oden's and Randolph's (Jack and Bynum are pretty much a wash) might give enough cap room to pursue someone like Kidd, Jefferson or Carter. Plus I am of the opinion that Oden is going to be an all-time great, not just all-star level.

I think I also do it if I am the Trailblazers. Bynum has shown the potential to be an All-Star quality center and Aldridge had a great second half last year. That gives me a solid frontcourt core and a backcourt of Kobe and Roy could be the best in the league in two or three years.

I like it for both teams. And I agree Oden will fill the seats. The problem may be Kobe's desire to play in a market like Portland.

OldSchool
05-30-2007, 05:09 PM
From ESPN: "Hours after Kobe Bryant asked for a trade on Stephen A. Smith's radio show, he backed off after speaking to Phil Jackson and told Dan Patrick he wants to be a Laker for life."

I think it would be hard to move Kobe even if he does want to go. What is he now, 31? I don't see other teams willing to include a young expected-to-be franchise player like a Greg Oden or Dwight Howard in a trade package for Kobe. Lakers fans have an extremely high opinion of Kobe's worth and it would be hard to see how management could get a trade package from other teams and have the LA fans satisfied they got equivalent value.

Atlanta Duke
05-30-2007, 05:21 PM
From ESPN: "Hours after Kobe Bryant asked for a trade on Stephen A. Smith's radio show, he backed off after speaking to Phil Jackson and told Dan Patrick he wants to be a Laker for life."

I think it would be hard to move Kobe even if he does want to go. What is he now, 31? I don't see other teams willing to include a young expected-to-be franchise player like a Greg Oden or Dwight Howard in a trade package for Kobe. Lakers fans have an extremely high opinion of Kobe's worth and it would be hard to see how management could get a trade package from other teams and have the LA fans satisfied they got equivalent value.

:D Even for Kobe that is amazing - Patrick played the tape of Smith talking to Kobe prior to bringing Wilbon in; it certainly was not Smith asking a series of leading questions to which Kobe mumbled equivocal "yes/no/maybe" responses. The only way this 180 degree turnaaround would be more amusing would be if Kobe said he chaged his mind after speaking to Shaq rather than Phil.

darthur
05-30-2007, 06:15 PM
An (as always) amusing take on the situation by Bill Simmons:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons&entryDate=20070530

dkbaseball
05-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Kobe will be 29 in August. I think Portland would be nuts to do this trade, as I share the previously expressed opinions that Oden is going to be a tremendous difference maker and that the Blazers are well set at the 2 with Roy.

kramerbr
05-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Kobe will only go to a team that will be in contention. He has a "no trade clause" in his contract which will be similar to when Shaq got to choose where he got traded.

Anyways...the Lakers will get Jermaine Oneal or KG and bring in a veteran point guard and all will be forgotten...

madscavenger
05-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Does the Zenmaster need to be born-again? Considering how many games the Lakers would have won with just about any coach with Kobe on board and any talent at all, just how much did Phil contribute this year? Certainly nothing even in the neighborhood of justifying his compensation. Maybe he misplaced the user's manual for his "throat" chakra.

greybeard
05-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Does the Zenmaster need to be born-again? Considering how many games the Lakers would have won with just about any coach with Kobe on board and any talent at all, just how much did Phil contribute this year? Certainly nothing even in the neighborhood of justifying his compensation. Maybe he misplaced the user's manual for his "throat" chakra.

If the Zen Master goes. The only thing keeping him there, imo, is the chick, his boss's daughter. I think the real frustration Kobe has is with Phil. When LA played Phil's way, the Triangle, that is, when Kobe actually agreed to play it, they could compete with Phoenix. Kobe refused, and, in those games that he did, they, LA, got crushed. The Zen Master is ineffectual with Kobe, at least in the ways that the Zen Master likes to be effective. I think Kobe saw more of the same coming from Phil, who was building with some solid, solid components, two of them very young, and, I think, wanted it just that way.

Mitch will be the fall guy in this, but it is Phil who Kobe has made a stand against, I believe. If Phil stays, it will be because he promised the Busses that he would make it work with Kobe no matter what and that they hold him to it. Otherwise, I see Phil goes off to Maui. By the way, if Portland has an ounce of sense, they will be signing Larry Brown soon. Larry is the best facilitator of learning the pro game has known, and he is particularly good with helping bigs get much, much smarter quick. With two young bigs, how could they not hire him. If not, I understand Phil don't mind the rain.

Indoor66
05-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Oh boy. 2 years of Larry Brown in Portland 'till he becomes bored or frustrated. What a life!

kydevil
05-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Kobe to the sonics? Lakers would get Durant and who? I have heard this could be a possibility.

JasonEvans
05-31-2007, 05:46 PM
By the way, if Portland has an ounce of sense, they will be signing Larry Brown soon. Larry is the best facilitator of learning the pro game has known, and he is particularly good with helping bigs get much, much smarter quick. With two young bigs, how could they not hire him.

I 100% agree. I mean look at what Larry did when he last drafted a highly anticipated, can't-miss, big-man.

-Jason "can you guess who I am talking about? :) ;) or are you in the Dark :) :rolleyes: " Evans

greybeard
05-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Kobe to the sonics? Lakers would get Durant and who? I have heard this could be a possibility.

If I'm LA, I'd do that straight up, as in yesterday.

dukemomLA
05-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Okay, I'm in LA (obviously). Enough of Kobe. Talented, yes. Annoying and a distraction, even more so. He's an incredibly talented individual player, but...goodbye, Shaq, Goodbye, Derek F., etc.

A lot of us on the Left Coast (much to our chagrin) are tired of obe-wan-Kobe's excuses and blames.

GO CLIPPERS!

CALVET
06-01-2007, 02:03 AM
Okay, I'm in LA (obviously). Enough of Kobe. Talented, yes. Annoying and a distraction, even more so. He's an incredibly talented individual player, but...goodbye, Shaq, Goodbye, Derek F., etc.

A lot of us on the Left Coast (much to our chagrin) are tired of obe-wan-Kobe's excuses and blames.

GO CLIPPERS!

(golf clap) I'm also a Southern Californian and I just can't bring myself to root for any team this guy plays for. A narcissistic and pretentious toddler. Our society suffers when his kind makes a fortune.