PDA

View Full Version : NCSU getting their grades up!

kong123
08-08-2010, 07:51 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/triangle-hoops-coaches-earn-top-scores

Richard Berg
08-09-2010, 12:31 AM
That's a mighty strange scoring system. 1000 is a perfect score, but 925 represents half your kids failing to graduate?

El_Diablo
08-09-2010, 12:52 AM
That's a mighty strange scoring system. 1000 is a perfect score, but 925 represents half your kids failing to graduate?

Strange indeed.

"For scoring purposes, an athlete reI'm a real wanker for saying this.ceives one point per semester for remaining academically eligible and another point each semester for staying at that school or gradI'm a real wanker for saying this.uating."

So you get 2 points per semester per player. That would unfairly punish a team with fewer players on the roster and unfairly reward a team with more players. I'm not sure what teams that would affect though. And what if someone transfers while in good academic standing? I presume Olek counted against us last season, regardless of his grades. Do the Wears count against UNC next year even if they left in good academic standing in the off-season? If Roy fills out the roster with two new players...wouldn't it just negate those losses by giving UNC those points back for having roster spots filled? That seems pretty arbitrary to me...that any penalty can just be erased simply by handing out a new scholarship. Or that such a penalty should exist in the first place if the kid is fine academically but chooses to attend another school.

So basically, if a coach wants to get a high score, he has to ensure: no transfers, no flunking, no empty roster spots. Although only one of those measures actually has anything to do with academics.

El_Diablo
08-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Strange indeed.

"For scoring purposes, an athlete reI'm a real wanker for saying this.ceives one point per semester for remaining academically eligible and another point each semester for staying at that school or gradI'm a real wanker for saying this.uating."

What's up with the filter? Anyway, just ignore the bold part and you will see what the words say.

SeattleIrish
08-09-2010, 03:18 AM
That's both an odd phrase to insert as a filter and an even odder way/place in which to insert it.

I assume it's meant to replace profanity(?), but that certainly is an odd glitch.

s.i.

p.s. - good on State! Would love to see some of the other ACC teams consistently lift their rates as well.

JasonEvans
08-09-2010, 08:57 AM
What's up with the filter? Anyway, just ignore the bold part and you will see what the words say.

The mods (the ones who know how these computer thingys work) are looking into this glitch in the profanity filter.

-Jason