PDA

View Full Version : Duke Football Shouldn't Be Overlooked This Season...

Dukefan1214
08-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Great article I read by Mike Kline on BleacherReport.com.

Check it out HERE (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/430249-college-football-2010-acc-would-do-well-not-to-overlook-duke)

OZZIE4DUKE
08-06-2010, 11:02 PM

Check it out HERE (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/430249-college-football-2010-acc-would-do-well-not-to-overlook-duke)
When we win on September 18, 2010, teams will stop taking us lightly. Mark my words, oh ye of little faith. Duke Football will win on 9/18.

Newton_14
08-06-2010, 11:11 PM

I am looking forward to the season and seeing what Cut can get out of this group. This year's Duke Football team has the potential to be a good team but faces 3 key challenges.

1. The Schedule- As noted in another thread 4 of the 5 teams in Duke's ACC Division is ranked in the Top 20 Pre-Season Poll and Duke plays all 4 teams in addition to playing Number 1 Alabama. If this team gets a Bowl Bid it will have darn well have earned it.

2. Youth- This is a very young team that has more underclassmen than upperclassmen. It is very young on the defensive line and in the linebacker core. Talented but youthful bound to make youthful mistakes.

3. New QB- Renfree looked good last year, but any time you send out a new QB, you never know for sure what you are getting. I expect that he will handle the job just fine and will end up being a really good quarterback but there are no guarantee's with a new QB.

The good news is we have a really good Coach and Staff molding all of these pieces together. The days of rolling over and playing dead are gone. The one thing we can say with confidence is that this team will fight and fight hard..

Dukefan1214
08-06-2010, 11:35 PM
I am looking forward to the season and seeing what Cut can get out of this group. This year's Duke Football team has the potential to be a good team but faces 3 key challenges.

1. The Schedule- As noted in another thread 4 of the 5 teams in Duke's ACC Division is ranked in the Top 20 Pre-Season Poll and Duke plays all 4 teams in addition to playing Number 1 Alabama. If this team gets a Bowl Bid it will have darn well have earned it.

2. Youth- This is a very young team that has more underclassmen than upperclassmen. It is very young on the defensive line and in the linebacker core. Talented but youthful bound to make youthful mistakes...

Yeah, I see what you're getting at. The schedule sure doesn't help Duke in it's "rebuilding" phase, and the youth at most of the positions and at quarterback may hurt the Blue Devils early on, but like you said Cutcliffe will get as much as he can out of this group.

The youth may be good, too! He wanted to recruit players with speed, and this year's class, as well as the Class of 2011, both have fast players. Looks like Duke is definitely headed in the right direction.

devildeac
08-06-2010, 11:44 PM
When we win on September 18, 2010, teams will stop taking us lightly. Mark my words, oh ye of little faith. Duke Football will win on 9/18.

If we had a team comprised mostly of upperclassmen, this might not be so far-fetched. With our current roster still being rather young, I don't think this will be the year for an upset of this magnitude. Though, I will be ecstatic to deliver a budlite or three to you if we shock the world.

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/duke_bluedevil.gif

Bob Green
08-07-2010, 09:07 AM
This year's Duke Football team has the potential to be a good team but faces 3 key challenges.

1. The Schedule-

2. Youth-

3. New QB-

While I agree with your 3 key challenges, I'd add a fourth and classify it as the #1 challenge, the performance of our defensive line.

We do not have depth on the defensive line and this is especially worrisome. Several articles I've read state Duke will play a 3-4 defense this year to take advantage of the strength and speed we have available at linebacker. Additionally, Kenny Anunike has been moved from tight end to defensive end.

The defensive line must be able to contain opponents running game while simultaneously pressuring the quarterback on pass plays. We gave up too many big plays on 3rd and long last year due to the opponents quarterback having too much time to throw the ball.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-07-2010, 09:57 AM
If we had a team comprised mostly of upperclassmen, this might not be so far-fetched. With our current roster still being rather young, I don't think this will be the year for an upset of this magnitude. Though, I will be ecstatic to deliver a budlite or three to you if we shock the world.

And I will be ecstatic to receive them! :cool:

Scorp4me
08-07-2010, 11:00 AM

1. The Schedule- As noted in another thread 4 of the 5 teams...

2. Youth- This is a very young team that has more underclassmen...

3. New QB- Renfree looked good last year, but any time you send...

Actually I think the schedule is going to help us. I think some of those teams are ranked too high, if we can steal a few the perception of gains will be that much bigger. Plus while playing weak teams can help in the short term, it hasn't helped us in the long term.

I don't even want to get started on Youth, I heard that argument so many years even I'm tired of hearing it. Put them out there and let them play!

Agree on the quarterback, but not because he is new. Rather I'm concerned because of the ACL injury he received last year. Just a tough sport for injuries such as that.

JohnGalt
08-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Agree on the quarterback, but not because he is new. Rather I'm concerned because of the ACL injury he received last year. Just a tough sport for injuries such as that.

If he puts in his time and cooperates with the rehab schedule he'll come back 110%. That surgery is darn close to routine nowadays...that coupled that with the Duke medical staff that's worked on him and you'll get a knee stronger than the original design.

The hardest part of it all is getting him to believe it's that strong.

Olympic Fan
08-07-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm less worried about the QB situation than many of you. Renfree is the guy Cutcliffe has been grooming since he got the job and he's on a perfect timetable for success -- the same timetable he used to bring Eli Manning along at Ole Miss.

The ACL injury is less worrisome that it would have been 10 years ago. Surgical knowledge has really increased in their field and recovery is usually close to 100 percent after six months. Besides, Renfree is not a run-and-jump guy -- I'd be more worried about a rotator cuff.

I agree with Bob -- the defensive line is the biggest concern. The unexpected loss of John Drew was a huge blow.

Youth is a concern, but we have good experience on the OL, at LB and DE and in the secondary. We have the best group of receivers (both WR and TE) in the ACC. We have a senior punter and an second-team All-ACC PK.

And as tough asd the schedule is overall, I think it gives Duke a chance to take another step forward (from one win in 2007 to four in 2008 to five in 2009). While no game is a lock for a team like Duke, I see three games that the Devils abolutely should win -- Elon, Army and Virginia at home.

There are three more that I rate as tossups: at Wake, at Navy and at Maryland. I wish they were at home, but I do note that Duke won twice on the road in the ACC last season and Cut's biggest non-conference win was at Vandy.

Finally, there are three games that -- while Duke is an underdog, I won't concede: Boston College, Miami and UNC at home. I know the last two are preseason second-10 teams, but they are teams that we've played tough in the last two years.

Obviously, a lot has to go right for this season to be a success ... but I could see winning the first three games, adding two of the next three and one of the final three for a 6-6 season ... and a bowl game.

I know that's a modest goal, but it would be another huge step forward for what was -- just three years ago -- the worst BCS program in the country.

And whatever happens this year, look at the roster and see how well-prepared Duke will be heading into the 2011 season. Even if we don't get the breaks this season and finish with 4-5 wins, we'll be better situationed a year from now for a breakthrough season.

Bob Green
08-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I agree with Bob -- the defensive line is the biggest concern.

Thanks! Your concurrence with my thoughts is encouraging. I spend way too much time following and discussing sports so it is delightful to believe I might actually know what I'm talking about.

There are three more that I rate as tossups: at Wake, at Navy and at Maryland. I wish they were at home, but I do note that Duke won twice on the road in the ACC last season and Cut's biggest non-conference win was at Vandy.

Additionally, in our last trip to Annapolis we gave the Midshipmen all they could handle before falling 43-46. That game was during Coach Roof's last season. I don't see a Coach Cutcliffe coached team falling apart in the fourth quarter like we did in 2007.

I know that's a modest goal, but it would be another huge step forward for what was -- just three years ago -- the worst BCS program in the country.

The success we have achieved in two short years under Coach Cutcliffe is impressive. We are no longer the worst BCS program, in fact, we are better than a couple of other ACC programs. The key is we need to build on this early success and move forward toward being a program that can compete for the ACC title.

And whatever happens this year, look at the roster and see how well-prepared Duke will be heading into the 2011 season. Even if we don't get the breaks this season and finish with 4-5 wins, we'll be better situationed a year from now for a breakthrough season.

While I agree 100 percent with your analysis, I want that breakthrough season and bowl game in 2010.

Olympic Fan
08-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Bob,

While we tend to agree on the prospects for Duke football, I was intrigued by your suggestion that Duke is now better than "a couple of other ACC programs."

I was actually thinking about that and trying to come up with a dispassionate ranking.

I think that as of this moment, Duke's program is clearly ahead of just one ACC program -- Virginia. Not only have we beaten the Cavs twice in a row, we finished ahead of them in the standings last year and are picked to finish ahead of them this year. They've changed coaches and even though they've invested a ton in their program (their facilities are fantastic), nobody knows where that program is going. Obviously, beating them in Wade on November 6 will go a long way towards putting them in our rear-view mirror.

The two programs I'm wrestling with are Duke vs. Maryland and N.C. State. Duke beat both of them last year and finished with a better ACC record (in a tougher division). I can see where you could make the case that Duke has caught them. Again, both schools have invested a lot in their programs, but they seem to be treading water -- in Maryland's case, they have slipped badly in recent years.

I'm not ready to say we've passed either -- both State and Maryland were in bowl games as recently as 2008. We were better last year ... but I'm not ready to declare that our "program" has passed them.

This year will go a long way towards demonstrating where we rank as a program. I think we're on the rise -- past Virginia and closing on Maryland and N.C. State.

Bob Green
08-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Bob,

The two programs I'm wrestling with are Duke vs. Maryland and N.C. State. Duke beat both of them last year and finished with a better ACC record (in a tougher division). I can see where you could make the case that Duke has caught them. Again, both schools have invested a lot in their programs, but they seem to be treading water -- in Maryland's case, they have slipped badly in recent years.

Maryland is the second team I view as having fallen behind Duke. While I might be jumping the gun a bit in declaring our program better than Maryland, I believe we are headed up while they are falling. I hadn't really thought about N.C. State that much but now that you've brought them up, I agree we are closing in on the Wolfpack as well.

I see Wake Forest as another program we could catch in the near future. The Demon Deacons have to prove they can sustain the success they've achieved. Was last season's 5-7 finish a fluke or is Wake Forest headed the wrong direction? The September 11 match-up between the Blue Devils and Demon Deacons should tell us a lot. I view that game as a must win game. We haven't beaten Wake Forest since 1999, however, if we are to earn a bowl bid in 2010, we need to beat the Demon Deacons.

CameronBornAndBred
08-08-2010, 02:21 PM

This car was at the Bojangles in Kinston this morning...I think they are ready for September 4th. :cool:

devildeac
08-08-2010, 04:10 PM

This car was at the Bojangles in Kinston this morning...I think they are ready for September 4th. :cool:

Ahh, much better than what I could see on my phone. Thanks.

BlueandWhite
08-09-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm less worried about the QB situation than many of you. Renfree is the guy Cutcliffe has been grooming since he got the job and he's on a perfect timetable for success -- the same timetable he used to bring Eli Manning along at Ole Miss.

The ACL injury is less worrisome that it would have been 10 years ago. Surgical knowledge has really increased in their field and recovery is usually close to 100 percent after six months. Besides, Renfree is not a run-and-jump guy -- I'd be more worried about a rotator cuff.

I agree with Bob -- the defensive line is the biggest concern. The unexpected loss of John Drew was a huge blow.

Youth is a concern, but we have good experience on the OL, at LB and DE and in the secondary. We have the best group of receivers (both WR and TE) in the ACC. We have a senior punter and an second-team All-ACC PK.

And as tough asd the schedule is overall, I think it gives Duke a chance to take another step forward (from one win in 2007 to four in 2008 to five in 2009). While no game is a lock for a team like Duke, I see three games that the Devils abolutely should win -- Elon, Army and Virginia at home.

Finally, there are three games that -- while Duke is an underdog, I won't concede: Boston College, Miami and UNC at home. I know the last two are preseason second-10 teams, but they are teams that we've played tough in the last two years.

Obviously, a lot has to go right for this season to be a success ... but I could see winning the first three games, adding two of the next three and one of the final three for a 6-6 season ... and a bowl game.

How GREAT it would be to end the season by beating the Heels! Similar to UNC, recent history isn't on our side against Wake, but why can't we get over the hump and beat WFU on the road this year? I'll say it will be another loss to Wake in a close game, and a great win over UNC to end the season. I'll predict a loss at Navy, which has had very competitive and well-coached teams lately, but I think we'll beat Maryland.

Winning at Miami is doubtful, probably the same against BC.

Duke's schedule is favorable and I agree with your prediction: we will go 6-6 and off to minor bowl!

CameronBornAndBred
08-09-2010, 11:28 AM
How GREAT it would be to end the season by beating the Heels!
That would be great...but not as important as just getting a win in November. Cutcliffe has said what a team does in November defines that team, and it's been a long time since we've celebrated Thanksgiving reminscing a recent victory.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-09-2010, 11:58 AM
How GREAT it would be to end the season by beating the Heels! Similar to UNC, recent history isn't on our side against Wake, but why can't we get over the hump and beat WFU on the road this year? I'll say it will be another loss to Wake in a close game, and a great win over UNC to end the season. I'll predict a loss at Navy, which has had very competitive and well-coached teams lately, but I think we'll beat Maryland.

Duke's schedule is favorable and I agree with your prediction: we will go 6-6 and off to minor bowl!
Wake will be making some adjustments with new personnel in crucial positions where they previously had players who could make the play that wins the game. In addition, there are a couple of their players who are suspended from the first two games in the season. One is their receiver who leads the team in touchdowns and the other is a backup DE. Playing Wake the second week of the season could be a good thing for us.

Olympic Fan
08-09-2010, 02:15 PM

Just to be accurate, Duke plays Miami in Durham (Oct. 16), not "at Miami"

While I agree that the Hurricanes have to be favored, I'm not as ready to write that game off as you are. A year ago, Duke led 16-10 in the third quarter in Miami and were driving for a fourth-quarter lead when they were the victim of a terrible call that reversed the momentum of the game and helped the 'Canes pull away.

The year before, in Durham, Duke led 17-14 at the half. When Miami scored to take the lead at 21-17, Duke marched down and regained the lead late in the third quarter at 24-21 .. at that point, Duke ran out of gas and Miami pilled away for a 49-31 victory.

Miami barely beat a 1-11 Ted Roof team 24-14 in Miami in 2007. In 2006, in Durham, it came down to the last play -- Duke was down 20-15 and had the ball at the Miami 10 yard line before Thad threw a game-ending interception.

My point is that Miami has been better and is better this year, but Duke has been able to play with them. Yeah, they have better athletes, but we have a better coaching staff -- by far. I didn't pick that as a win, only as a game that Duke has a chance to win ... and I still believe that.

CameronBornAndBred
08-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Some of you might enjoy reading a series that DBR poster Wolfpackdevil is writing on crazietalk's front page.
He is previewing each of Duke's opponents, finishing with the heels on the night before the season opener against Elon.
Here are the Wake and Alabama breakdowns, the Elon preview is in the football forum. He's done a great job with his analysis.

http://crazietalk.net/blog1.php/2010/08/05/breakdown-of-wake-forest-duke-s-second-opponent --Wake preview

http://crazietalk.net/blog1.php/2010/08/09/breaking-down-alabama-duke-s-3rd-opponent -- Alabama preview

Bob Green
08-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Some of you might enjoy reading a series that DBR poster Wolfpackdevil is writing on crazietalk's front page.

The articles were excellent so thanks for posting the links, and thanks to Wolfpackdevil for writing them.

Newton_14
08-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Wake will be making some adjustments with new personnel in crucial positions where they previously had players who could make the play that wins the game. In addition, there are a couple of their players who are suspended from the first two games in the season. One is their receiver who leads the team in touchdowns and the other is a backup DE. Playing Wake the second week of the season could be a good thing for us.

Nice work there DIB. Awesome. I had not seen the report of the Wake suspensions. We need any edge we can get on Wake. They have our number and we need to break the hex! I thought it was going to be last year but instead Skinner picked us apart all day long.

This needs to be the year to beat Wake!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Nice work there DIB. Awesome. I had not seen the report of the Wake suspensions. We need any edge we can get on Wake. They have our number and we need to break the hex! I thought it was going to be last year but instead Skinner picked us apart all day long.

This needs to be the year to beat Wake!

Thank you! I don't pretend to be an expert, but I did take touch football in PE back in the old days of the Woman's College at Duke and I did marry into one of the football fraternities.

As for Wake, they have a lot of adjustments to make without Riley Skinner at quarterback and Sam Swank, their outstanding kicker. They do have some depth and a very good coach, but I think we have a better coach. Playing early in the season while they're still finding their way and the suspensions are in place, game day factors which may favor Duke. I believe it be will be a hard fought game, but it's our turn to win..... and no injuries, please, no injuries.

pbc2
08-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Great job summarizing WF and Alabama. I expect WF to look much different without Skinner on offense, running more of an option-style attack. I am hopeful that since Duke will also be playing Army, Navy, and GT, that our defense will be well-prepared to face an option-style offense. I am optimistic that the game in Winston-Salem will be an early season statement for our new defense under Marion Hobby.

I also think Alabama will likely not be as dominant on defense as they were in the past, as they are replacing several starters (albeit with experienced, talented replacements). Luckily, Duke will have a little bit of film from week 1 and 2 to review prior to playing them, and should be able to put some points on the board if we take care of the football.

Right now, of course, the emphasis is on beating Elon September 4.

Bob Green
08-10-2010, 05:21 PM
GoDuke has video highlights posted from the first practice:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204975521

Brandon Connette really airs the ball out toward the end of the clip.

RelativeWays
08-10-2010, 05:47 PM
I'll take a 56-10 whipping by Bama if we can go 4-1 heading into the heart of the season. Duke is talented enough to beat Elon, Wake, Army and UMD. If they want a bowl, they will NEED to beat those four teams. From that point, they have another evenly matched opponent in UVa (but I think will be much improved with the former coach from Richmond) and then Duke will need to steal a win from someone they aren't supposed to beat. That leaves Navy, BC, GT, UNC, VT, Miami. Navy and BC will be the best bets but they will be more talented than Duke is. It can be done, but ther is no margin for error. No Richmond like screwups from last year will be allowed.

SilkyJ
08-10-2010, 07:22 PM
GoDuke has video highlights posted from the first practice:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204975521

Brandon Connette really airs the ball out toward the end of the clip.

That was a beautiful pass by Connette, but I thought the best part was the clip right after that -- "1-2-3 IRON GRIP!"

I love that team motto (if that is in fact the team's motto for the year). Let's see if we can choke the life out of the ACC this year!

jimsumner
08-10-2010, 08:18 PM
"As for Wake, they have a lot of adjustments to make without Riley Skinner at quarterback and Sam Swank, their outstanding kicker"

Whatever adjustments Wake will have to make in response to the loss of Sam Swank have already been made. He finished two years ago.

Jimmy Newman did most of Wake's place-kicking last season. He's back this year.

CameronBornAndBred
08-10-2010, 08:36 PM
And we have Snyderwine. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he's improved in the off season. He sure made the most of his opportunity last year.

Reilly
08-10-2010, 10:06 PM
And we have Snyderwine. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he's improved in the off season. He sure made the most of his opportunity last year.

Expect big things: (1) past performance; and (2) where he camped this spring --

http://www.coachzauner.com/

CameronBornAndBred
08-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Very cool...had no idea.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-11-2010, 09:44 AM
"As for Wake, they have a lot of adjustments to make without Riley Skinner at quarterback and Sam Swank, their outstanding kicker"

Whatever adjustments Wake will have to make in response to the loss of Sam Swank have already been made. He finished two years ago.

Mea culpa.... the memory fails sometimes!

CameronBornAndBred
08-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Nice article in SI posted this afternoon.

Cutcliffe is beginning his third season in Durham and aiming to continue his formidable reconstruction project. The decision to turn down overtures from Rocky Top this winter gave even more credibility to what he is trying to build at Duke.
"All it did was grow something that was already there,'' Cutcliffe said. "I hope our players enjoy the way we challenge them and enjoy the way we run our program. We treat them well, but we work them extremely hard. That's the thing that's thrilled me most - I know they want to get better. They know, first day in (camp), they're going to work harder than they've ever worked, and that is always a positive.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/wires/08/11/2060.ap.fbc.duke.preview.1st.ld.writethru.0750/#ixzz0wKsmhtAC

pbc2
08-11-2010, 05:59 PM

Coach Cut talks about the kicking game a little more than halfway through this interview: http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/08/cutcliffe-talks-duke-football-practice-day-2/

chrishoke
08-11-2010, 08:04 PM
WF has the best coach in the ACC. We will get our butts kicked if we underestimate them - m aybe ev en if we don't.

CameronBornAndBred
08-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Wolfpackdevil continues his series tonight breaking down Duke's opponents with Army. Another really good read and look ahead.
http://crazietalk.net/blog1.php/2010/08/11/breaking-down-army-duke-s-4th-opponent

4decadedukie
08-13-2010, 07:58 AM
WF has the best coach in the ACC. We will get our butts kicked if we underestimate them - m aybe ev en if we don't.

I respect your point re Wake's general excellence and their very solid football team. However, whether Coach Grobe is "the best in the ACC" is arguable, with individuals including Dave Cutcliffe and Paul Johnson (others, as well) leading programs.

pbc2
08-13-2010, 04:37 PM
More football schedule previews: http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/08/bdn-previews-the-2010-duke-football-schedule/

Scorp4me
08-13-2010, 10:45 PM
If he puts in his time and cooperates with the rehab schedule he'll come back 110%. That surgery is darn close to routine nowadays...that coupled that with the Duke medical staff that's worked on him and you'll get a knee stronger than the original design.

The hardest part of it all is getting him to believe it's that strong.

I'll agree with that!

sagegrouse
08-13-2010, 11:52 PM
While I look forward to some great football and staggering upsets over ranked teams, the ACC line-up and the 2010 schedule just ain't fair. In the Coastal Division, Duke must play four of the top 15/18/20 teams according to SI/USA Today/ESPN. Only FSU is ranked in the Atlantic Division, and for the most part, is the 5th-ranked ACC team: the power is in Duke's Coastal Division. And, of course, Duke also plays #1 Alabama.

Lets see... five games against the top 15 teams in the country. Won't it be great when Duke wins eight or nine games? :D

sagegrouse

devildeac
08-14-2010, 07:09 AM
While I look forward to some great football and staggering upsets over ranked teams, the ACC line-up and the 2010 schedule just ain't fair. In the Coastal Division, Duke must play four of the top 15/18/20 teams according to SI/USA Today/ESPN. Only FSU is ranked in the Atlantic Division, and for the most part, is the 5th-ranked ACC team: the power is in Duke's Coastal Division. And, of course, Duke also plays #1 Alabama.

Lets see... five games against the top 15 teams in the country. Won't it be great when Duke wins eight or nine games? :D

sagegrouse

Yep. Isn't expansion great?:rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
08-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Yep. Isn't expansion great?:rolleyes:

If we want to be the best, we've got to beat the best.

I go back to Cut's comments about the fact that the ACC hasn't fallen behind the SEC because we weren't even to start with. The typical SEC team schedule is absolutely brutal.

I am glad that the ACC teams are ranked highly and I hope it raises the level of play across the league. Frankly, to my mind expansion to date has brought the others down as opposed to pulling us all up. But maybe we've turned the corner.

We have a tough draw in the division but not too bad in the games against the other side all things considered. And I applaud Cut for refusing to sell our home game back to 'Bama.

Time to see what real D-1 is all about, and set about getting there ourselves.

LGD! GTH,C!

-- OPK

SupaDave
08-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Yep - we got slammed by Maxim Mag. In their new issue they rank Duke as the 4th worst program in football. They use losing the starting QB, lack of a running game, and opening the season against "creampuff" Elon as examples why...

sagegrouse
08-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Yep - we got slammed by Maxim Mag. In their new issue they rank Duke as the 4th worst program in football. They use losing the starting QB, lack of a running game, and opening the season against "creampuff" Elon as examples why...

Yeah, well, I guess I disagree with the sports expertise at Maxim magazine. I also remember, back in the day, when Playboy decided to get into college football and ranked the leading teams. Playboy picked Iowa #1, and the Hawkeyes ended up losing almost every game that season. I don't believe Hefner ever ran another college football forecast.

sagegrouse

CEF1959
08-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Leaving Maxim aside (I can't believe I just suggested that): Two words regarding this year's team: Tough Schedule

If Duke has a winning year, that will be a good year, given this schedule. And if it's not quite as good as we think it should be based on the talent and coaching we have (both impressive), let's not be too disappointed. It's a heck of a schedule, affording opportunities for either excellent upsets or losses that should not cause us to lose faith in the direction of the program. I've got faith in Cut like I've never had in Duke football coaching, including the Steve Spurrier days.

Whatever happens, Duke will NOT be the 4th worst football program in D1 this year.

Bob Green
08-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Here is a scrimmage report (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204978399) from GoDuke. I was a bit undecided in which thread to place this post as we have multiple active football threads going on simultaneously. That's great!

Coach Cutcliffe has high praise for Sean Renfree's mental preparation. Renfree had a nice evening including a 38 yard completion to Conner Vernon and a 48 yard completion to Cooper Helfet. Safety Matt Daniels earned the big hit of the night, which is no surprise.

Donovan Varner was held out of the scrimmage due to an injury and Coach Cutcliffe made a comment the receivers were banged up.

CameronBornAndBred
08-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Donovan Varner was held out of the scrimmage due to an injury and Coach Cutcliffe made a comment the receivers were banged up.
Thank goodness we have lots of them...even with one or two beaten up I'm sure we have a good group..plus Johnny Williams can always (and still might) play offense if needed.
That being said..stay healthy Donovan, we'll need you.

kyriecrazy2013
08-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Thank goodness we have lots of them...even with one or two beaten up I'm sure we have a good group..plus Johnny Williams can always (and still might) play offense if needed.
That being said..stay healthy Donovan, we'll need you.

He's staying put at CB. CB is running even thinner than WR. Tonight we only had 5 participating in the scrimmage.

CameronBornAndBred
08-17-2010, 08:36 AM
He's staying put at CB. CB is running even thinner than WR. Tonight we only had 5 participating in the scrimmage.
Check out this article. http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/08/13/626892/williams-will-play-anywhere.html

"He's going to play a lot of football at a lot of places," Cutcliffe said earlier this week. "At this stage ... if he gets proficient on what he's doing over there defensively, there's the chance that Johnny could show back up in circumstances at receiver some. I like him on the field."

OldPhiKap
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm praying for a decent running game this year to augment the air game.

Please!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-17-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm praying for a decent running game this year to augment the air game.

Please!
Desmond Scott and Josh Snead will make a helluva pair. Just wait till you see Josh break a 75 yarder!

OldPhiKap
08-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Desmond Scott and Josh Snead will make a helluva pair. Just wait till you see Josh break a 75 yarder!

Can't wait!

CameronBornAndBred
08-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Wolfpackdevil continues his series breaking down Duke's season opponents with a look ahead to Maryland. This will be a huge game for Duke, and a chance for us to go up against Miami with a solid winning record. Of course we've got to win a few before we play the Terps, but WPD predicts us at 4-1 after this game and I'm inclined to agree.

http://crazietalk.net/blog1.php/2010/08/18/breaking-down-maryland-duke-s-5th-opponent

Bob Green
08-19-2010, 11:04 PM
So, as I drove home from work today, I was listening to Seattle Sports Radio (http://www.kjram.com) and they were interviewing the Seattle Seahawks' defensive coordinator. The Seahawks are a team with a defense most consider a bit suspect, specifically a team with a defensive line that has serious question marks. My initial thought was, hey this sounds a lot like the situation at Duke.

Well the defensive coordinator's comments really, really, really, made me smile. He said the onus was upon the coaching staff to design schemes and sets that emphasize the player's strengths. He said they had to figure out which players fit into their base set, and which players fit into the nickle package, and so on and so forth...He stated the secondary was strong and the team intended to rely upon their coverage to provide the DL with an extra second to pressure the QB.

The entire interview emphasized to me how fortunate we are to have Coach Cutcliffe and his professional staff running the program at Duke because the Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator's comments are the same comments I've been reading from our coaching staff. Duke intends to run different sets and schemes and employ different combination of players to maximize available talent. Defensive Coordinator Marion Hobby stated the Duke defense intended to err on the side of aggressiveness this season.

Cutcliffe and company are going to be successful and we are fortunate to have them in Durham!

CameronBornAndBred
08-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Defensive Coordinator Marion Hobby stated the Duke defense intended to err on the side of aggressiveness this season.

I enjoy that attitude. I'll be cussing louder than anyone in Wallace Wade when it fails, but I'll be hollering louder than anyone every sack. (Ok...devildeac will cuss louder..but the refs will know where we are sitting). Thanks for the story and comparison Bob.

devildeac
08-19-2010, 11:42 PM
I enjoy that attitude. I'll be cussing louder than anyone in Wallace Wade when it fails, but I'll be hollering louder than anyone every sack. (Ok...devildeac will cuss louder..but the refs will know where we are sitting). Thanks for the story and comparison Bob.

I'm blind, I'm deaf...

You called?

OldPhiKap
08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Cutcliffe and company are going to be successful and we are fortunate to have them in Durham!

True and true.

formerdukeathlete
08-20-2010, 01:50 PM

That Elon is one of the top 1-aa teams going into the season.

Renfree may already be an upgrade at QB.

running game, well, they just dont know. Renfree things our running game is much improved with Snead, Thomspon, Scott as young guys, and dont forget using Brandon King as a fullback.

This guy just mailed it in. Did zero research; must have had a deadline.

OldPhiKap
08-20-2010, 02:23 PM
That Elon is one of the top 1-aa teams going into the season.

running game, well, they just dont know. Renfree things our running game is much improved with Snead, Thomspon, Scott as young guys, and dont forget using Brandon King as a fullback.

This guy just mailed it in. Did zero research; must have had a deadline.

Is someone really reading Maxim for the articles? I've never scanned a copy but kind of assumed that, um, text content was filler.

Olympic Fan
08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Just a few random comments about issues raised in the latter part of this thread:

-- The preseason injuries at WR aren't a problem yet (after missing time early in the week, Varner and Vernon were back in action Thursday). In fact, sitting some of the veteran guys down gives some of the backups a chance to sort themselves out. Tony Foster and Josh Trezvant, two of the fastest guys on the team, have stood out -- and we're talking about two guys who had been basically coverage guys on special teams. This is a GOOD development. No need to even think of moving Williams back fulltime -- in addition to Foster and Tresvant, Tyree Watkins and Corey Gattis will contribute there. Really, WR and TE are the two deepest, most talented positions on our team.

-- Injuries on the DL are a bigger concern. Wes Oglesby is one of three veteran guys up front (along with Egboh and Hatcher). He's been out ... even more concern is Sydney Sarmiento, a redshirt freshman that was being counted on in the rotation. He just had his knee scoped and while he should be back for the opener, he will miss a lot of needed preperation time. It will hurt a young guy like him and look more than a veteran such as Oglesby.

-- I'm told that Kenny Anunike is looking very good at DE. He switched over from TE last spring and seems to be making an impact. He's going to be our best pass rusher. Among the true freshmen, it looks like Jamal Bruce is the one who might get early playing time, although it's a bit early to say that with any authority.

-- Actually, there's a lot more depth and competition at LB and in the secondary than we've ever had. We're loaded at safety (Daniels, Canty and Byas are all plus players) yet we have enough depth at corner to move Lee Butler to safety. I think it says something about the upgrade in speed that a parttime CB starter last year is now at safety. If Williams comes through at corner, we'll be in great shape.

-- Renfree has looked GREAT. He surprised Copach Cut with his mobility and his accuracy (always his best feature) is off the charts. We'll see when he gets under real pressure in a game, but after the Army game last year, I feel pretty good that he'll maintain his high level of play. And after all the debate about second-team QB, it's clear that it's Connette over Schroeder. Neither is pushing Renfree, but Connette is getting A LOT more snaps than Schroeder or Anthony Boone.

-- Snyderwine has been GREAT -- better than last year and he was second-team All-ACC last year. And Maggio (remember he lost a lot of weight and strength in the late summer of 2009 after breaking his jaw) looks better than ever. On the other side, Kevin Jones looks like he has for the last two years -- one time he'll boom a 55-yard punt; the next time he'll flub it.

-- It's fun to watch the running backs. Kurt Roper said the other day that Josh Snead will be in the rotation and will get the ball. Hollinsworth and Scott are healthy -- both were banged up last year. And don't forget Juwan Thompson -- he's as fast as our other backs and weighs 220-pounds.

-- Cooper Helfet is going to make a big impact. They call him a tight end, but he lines up everywhere -- in the slot, out wide .... he's not the blocker that Huffman and King are, but he's a much better receiving threat. He had a 48-yard catch in the last scrimmage, the biggest play all day.

Two more scrimmages in the next five days, so a few things could change before they lock things down and start game preparation. But it's been a good preseason so far (emphasis on the last two words) -- a year after all the swine flu, Lewis' ankle injury, the loss of Young-Wiseman and several others, the injuries have been relatively minor. I think Quan Stevenson is the only guy who's definitely out of the Elon game and he was almost certainly going to redshirt anyway. I'd sall Sarmiento's injury the most worrisome so far and he's likely to play against Elon.

CameronBornAndBred
08-20-2010, 03:10 PM
OlympicFan, thanks very much for the in depth update. Good news on the kickers as well..I hope Jones keeps his flubs to a minimum!

OldPhiKap
08-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Great report, Olympic, many thanks.

4decadedukie
08-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Very fine post, OF; I learned a lot and I appreciate your expertise and willingness to share.

Acymetric
08-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Saw this highlight video of Thad linked on the Scout site...its from July but I hadn't seen it before. Its a pretty good highlight reel...and it was edited by our own Mike Cappetto, who never played but was a backup QB and often worked as an assistant to the OC calling in plays. Pretty cool, the lyrics may be NSFW though, if thats an issue for you.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVzerwB4FXo)

OZZIE4DUKE
08-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Saw this highlight video of Thad linked on the Scout site...its from July but I hadn't seen it before. Its a pretty good highlight reel...and it was edited by our own Mike Cappetto, who never played but was a backup QB and often worked as an assistant to the OC calling in plays. Pretty cool, the lyrics may be NSFW though, if thats an issue for you.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVzerwB4FXo)
That was great, Acy! Thanks for linking it. :cool: Anyone know if Thad is still on somebody's roster? I sure hope so.

CameronBornAndBred
08-25-2010, 03:24 PM
That was great, Acy! Thanks for linking it. :cool: Anyone know if Thad is still on somebody's roster? I sure hope so.
He is still with the Saints..although didn't see any field time last game. He only had 5 minutes the first game, but did a great job with the limited time he had. Look for him to play in their next game since the #2 QB is hurt. They have 4 QB's total, including Thad, and one of those QB's is Sam Bradford. Obviously one of the QB's won't be there when the season starts..it's a competition between Null (Can't remember first name) and Thad.

Acymetric
08-25-2010, 03:34 PM

Thad is still with the Rams...he put up decent numbers in limited time in the first game but didn't play in the second.

I'm hoping he gets more time in the next game with previous starter Freely out with injury and Null coming off a 3/14 game...seems to me Thad should come off the bench behind Bradford rather than Null.

I have high hopes that Thad will be at least on the practice squad if he doesn't take the #3 QB spot on the roster.

Man I'm ready for football after watching that video...best (one of the only) Duke football highlight videos I've seen in a while, looking forward to seeing more!

Duvall
09-25-2010, 03:26 PM

Maybe, maybe not.