PDA

View Full Version : Duke and historical recruiting violations?

G man
08-06-2010, 08:56 PM
So today on Around the Horn Bob Ryan made a comment about all big time programs being dirty. Jay Marioitti piped up and said what about DUKE? Bob Ryan said something along the line of Chris Duhon and then the program switched over to PTI. Now I have to admit I started following in 2003 and it was not following religiously until 2005 so I am not sure what this is all about does anyone care to shed some light on this for me. Has Duke been penalized under K? I did not believe so. I did not think that he has even been investigated. If this is a taboo topic feel free to delete.

Indoor66
08-06-2010, 09:06 PM
So today on Around the Horn Bob Ryan made a comment about all big time programs being dirty. Jay Marioitti piped up and said what about DUKE? Bob Ryan said something along the line of Chris Duhon and then the program switched over to PTI. Now I have to admit I started following in 2003 and it was not following religiously until 2005 so I am not sure what this is all about does anyone care to shed some light on this for me. Has Duke been penalized under K? I did not believe so. I did not think that he has even been investigated. If this is a taboo topic feel free to delete.

Duke has been on probation one time in it's history. That occurred in 1971 and was related to the recruitment of David Thompson - who went to NC State and was, arguably, the best college basketball player - ever. You can read about Duke and Thompson and the probation here (http://books.google.com/books?id=WW7EgBfQn_MC&pg=PA348&lpg=PA348&dq=David+Thompson+%2B+Duke+NCAA+Probation&source=bl&ots=nXIIvOgQw4&sig=5kGQ3h5bxK_UGMYMrmdw59UnN28&hl=en&ei=oLBcTKzcKsH98AaXtvmOAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=David%20Thompson%20%2B%20Duke%20NCAA%20Probation&f=false). That article also addresses the Maggette matter. I know of nothing about Duhon.

ElSid
08-06-2010, 09:25 PM
The speculation about Duhon, I believe, involved his mother and a cushy job in Durham. But it was only that...speculation.

Duke is clean by all official accounts. And I believe strongly they do in fact play by the rules...not just avoid getting caught.

G man
08-06-2010, 09:25 PM
This was brought to my attention.

http://www.truthaboutduke.com/duhon_nola.php

It would be nice to have the moral high ground when dealing with other teams fans.

-jk
08-06-2010, 09:27 PM

It would be nice to have the moral high ground when dealing with other teams fans.

I dare say that site is hardly the moral high ground.

-jk

4decadedukie
08-06-2010, 09:28 PM
My memory may be flawed, but I believe there was some unsubstantiated carping concerning Chris Duhon’s mother receiving a job at the DUMC. I am quite sure that neither Duke’s strong compliance staff nor the NCAA ever found fault with that hiring decision.

G man
08-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I dare say that site is hardly the moral high ground.

-jk

Of course of course I just wanted to bring the propaganda to attention. Just curious because I was ignorant of all of this.

roywhite
08-06-2010, 09:29 PM
The speculation about Duhon, I believe, involved his mother and a cushy job in Durham. But it was only that...speculation.

Duke is clean by all official accounts. And I believe strongly they do in fact play by the rules...not just avoid getting caught.

"Everybody does it" is one of the weakest excuses, and often not true.

It's a staple of Kentucky message board rationalizing.

ElSid
08-06-2010, 09:34 PM
"Everybody does it" is one of the weakest excuses, and often not true.

It's a staple of Kentucky message board rationalizing.

Ok...but what does that have to do with what I posted?

roywhite
08-06-2010, 09:37 PM

Just a general comment on this topic. No disagreement with your point on Duhon.

Duke does have a clean record.

ElSid
08-06-2010, 09:38 PM

The most important part of this "article" is the last paragraph. Chances are very very good that if you move to Durham and look for a job, you're going to be interviewing with Duke folks. If this is the worst they got on Duke, then I'd say it's pretty clean.

ElSid
08-06-2010, 09:39 PM

cool just wondered if i was being misconstrued.

G man
08-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks everyone I was looking for some clarification.

Duke79UNLV77
08-06-2010, 10:31 PM
of going about it, contacting the NCAA in advance and giving publicity interviews.

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/030302/spo_duke.shtml

Duhon's mom became an account manager, whch may sound impressive but is generally an entry-level sales job.

G man
08-06-2010, 10:46 PM
its good to hear all of this!

Greg_Newton
08-06-2010, 10:51 PM
There's really not a shred of evidence of wrongdoing in that article. If you think about what they actually say:

-Duhon's mom, with a resume that included some banking experience, was able to find a job that paid a $28-42k salary in RTP.

That's not a "cushy" salary. Hell, $28k is barely above poverty for a single mother. And certainly not something she's clearly unqualified for.

-Several higher-ups in the company had Duke connections.

Like others have said, so do most major companies with major presences in the triangle.

It's certainly possible that her son being a stud Duke player was a factor in her hiring - that all other things equal, the Duke booster thought it would be cool to have that kind of connection to the team - but that's a far cry from K orchestrating some grand scheme that Duhon's commitment was dependent on.

devildeac
08-06-2010, 11:01 PM
IIRC, Duke also "self-reported" Coach Collins for attending a potential recruit's (John Wall?) AAU or summer league game which occurred during the "dead period" for recruiting. Minor stuff and nothing became of it, once again, IIRC.

ElSid
08-06-2010, 11:55 PM
There's really not a shred of evidence of wrongdoing in that article. If you think about what they actually say:

-Duhon's mom, with a resume that included some banking experience, was able to find a job that paid a $28-42k salary in RTP.

That's not a "cushy" salary. Hell, $28k is barely above poverty for a single mother. And certainly not something she's clearly unqualified for.

-Several higher-ups in the company had Duke connections.

Like others have said, so do most major companies with major presences in the triangle.

It's certainly possible that her son being a stud Duke player was a factor in her hiring - that all other things equal, the Duke booster thought it would be cool to have that kind of connection to the team - but that's a far cry from K orchestrating some grand scheme that Duhon's commitment was dependent on.

totally agree. i think the story said / speculated that she made $40k but still...it's far from extortion money. that's kind of like who cares money...no offense to the vast number of people that make similar salaries, but that's sort of the point.

it's also kind of hilarious that she got a '93 jeep cherokee and the TAD site is chirping about how far up she moved in the world. And a '98 Altima for chris. WOW. clear evidence of massive financial gain.

bah.

hurleyfor3
08-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Duke has been on probation one time in it's history. That occurred in 1971 and was related to the recruitment of David Thompson - who went to NC State and was, arguably, the best college basketball player - ever.

Wasn't it Dean Smith who reported this to the NCAA, the same way he got NCSU on probation?

ACCBBallFan
08-07-2010, 04:08 AM
The other one folks who don't like Duke, (usually UK in defensive mode or main rivals), surface is rumors about Corey Maggettee having received some under the table money before he joined Duke (but not from Duke). They make the analogy to Calipari and Marcus Camby situation.

But over course of 30 year career, amazingly clean record.

Brian913
08-07-2010, 06:26 AM
So today on Around the Horn

The real question is: why does anyone watch Around the Horn?

devildeac
08-07-2010, 07:18 AM
The other one folks who don't like Duke, (usually UK in defensive mode or main rivals), surface is rumors about Corey Maggettee having received some under the table money before he joined Duke (but not from Duke). They make the analogy to Calipari and Marcus Camby situation.

But over course of 30 year career, amazingly clean record.

Also, IIRC, that investigation did discover that he received some $ (2K? 3K?) for expenses (?) while playing for his AAU team a year or two before enrolling at Duke. I also think it was myron piggie and the Rush brothers who were involved with much larger sums of cash in the 20-30K range. We still have our FF appearance that year and were never penalized.

SCMatt33
08-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Also, IIRC, that investigation did discover that he received some $ (2K? 3K?) for expenses (?) while playing for his AAU team a year or two before enrolling at Duke. I also think it was myron piggie and the Rush brothers who were involved with much larger sums of cash in the 20-30K range. We still have our FF appearance that year and were never penalized.

The amount was in the 2000 dollar range. There were five players involved, four of whom played NCAA basketball, Maggette, JaRon and Kareem Rush, and Andre Williams. As far as I can tell, the only NCAA action in the case was against JaRon Rush, who took money from Jerome Stanley, an agent, while the others only took money from Myron Piggie, the AAU coach. Piggie, btw, went to jail and had to pay restitution fro defrauding Duke, UCLA, Missouri, and OKSt.

devildeac
08-07-2010, 08:53 AM
The amount was in the 2000 dollar range. There were five players involved, four of whom played NCAA basketball, Maggette, JaRon and Kareem Rush, and Andre Williams. As far as I can tell, the only NCAA action in the case was against JaRon Rush, who took money from Jerome Stanley, an agent, while the others only took money from Myron Piggie, the AAU coach. Piggie, btw, went to jail and had to pay restitution fro defrauding Duke, UCLA, Missouri, and OKSt.

Thanks for the remaining details. I didn't think my old timer's disease had set in yet.

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/9.gif

G man
08-07-2010, 12:07 PM
The real question is: why does anyone watch Around the Horn?

Come on who does not like a little argument in the middle of the afternoon? It is a entertaining program, and I refuse to believe that you do not find it entertaining as well!

VaDukie
08-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Come on who does not like a little argument in the middle of the afternoon? It is a entertaining program, and I refuse to believe that you do not find it entertaining as well!

It's an entertaining show, but my main gripe is the one that started this thread - they throw out unsubstantiated facts or illogical arguments and are never held accountable. I love how PTI does a fact check at the end of every episode even though it's usually only the most minor errors - Player X won the scoring title in 1994, not 1995 type stuff. Of course no one on PTI would ever say something as out of line as the Duhon comment.

left_hook_lacey
08-08-2010, 01:08 PM
It's an entertaining show, but my main gripe is the one that started this thread - they throw out unsubstantiated facts or illogical arguments and are never held accountable.

Well, it is a show based on the opinion of the panel for that day. Which is probably why they have 4 different writers, usually from 4 different regions of the country to even out any bias. And like it or not, 4 beat writers that cover sports 365 days a year and have access to the players they cover can give much more accuarate "opinion" than Joe Blow sitting at home watching. The other writers and the host/mediator Reali are used to keep each other in check, so I wouldn't say they go totally unaccountable for statements they make.

That being said, I look ahead at the topics for the day, if they don't interest me, I don't watch. In contrast, I watch PTI everyday regardless of the topics.