PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Adams Wavering? (No, he is not)

CameronConvert
08-03-2010, 02:23 PM
http://www.bulldawgjunction.com/news/story.php?article=4543

Could be nothing, but sounds like big man Tyler Adams maybe isn't quite as solid a commit as
we all seem to think he is. Hopefully nothing, as he seems like a real good four-year kind of player.

monkey
08-03-2010, 02:28 PM
MSU and G'town are the only two schools still recruiting him since he committed to Duke?

Since when did this become like football? Thought schools in basketball only recruited committed recruits where recruit specifically reopens the process. I don't recall any announcement to this effect from T Adams....

CameronBornAndBred
08-03-2010, 02:44 PM
And interesting enough, he told me "Mississippi State is still in the mix and still an option".

It seems like we are seeing this more and more, maybe the football mentality is starting to bleed over. If he is still considering options then it doesn't sound like he was a strong verbal to start. I don't have the subscription to TDD, but it would be interesting to read what he said in that interview after the commitment versus what he is implying here.

Maybe this article gives some more insight into how and why he may be rethinking his recruitment...

At this stage, Adams is not projected to make an immediate impact when he gets to college. But if the Blue Devil coaching staff proved anything with Lance Thomas and Brian Zoubek, it's that they can develop big men over four years and turn them into valuable cogs in a championship machine.
In that regard, Adams may have to wait his turn early behind guys like Miles Plumlee, Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly and Josh Hairston. But if he can find the right combination of drive and patience, he has a chance to become a major contributor in an important supporting role - much like Thomas and Zoubek were this season.
"I doubt Tyler Adams will ever be a big time scorer; certainly not at the Duke level," Oettinger said. "But Duke just won a national championship without any inside guys who could really score."

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/04/29/994765

Class of '94
08-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Not to overanalyze this, but I wonder if Tyler is wavering due to possible lack of attention from the coaching staff as well as concern over playing time. We've heard all summer about the staff being at games for MG and AR; but I haven't heard the same for Tyler. Then compound that with the commitment of MP3; and I wonder if he is starting to feel like he isn't as valued or wanted (not to mention he could be wondering how much playing time he could be getting with the arrival of MP3 and if either or both MP1 or MP2 stay). Just putting the thought out there.

I also find it interesting that his family didn't accompany him to his visit to Duke this summer. It could be nothing but I find it strange that your parents wouldn't come on your first trip to the University you're supposedly committed to.

ChicagoCrazy84
08-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Not to overanalyze this, but I wonder if Tyler is wavering due to possible lack of attention from the coaching staff as well as concern over playing time. We've heard all summer about the staff being at games for MG and AR; but I haven't heard the same for Tyler. Then compound that with the commitment of MP3; and I wonder if he is starting to feel like he isn't as valued or wanted (not to mention he could be wondering how much playing time he could be getting with the arrival of MP3 and if either or both MP1 or MP2 stay). Just putting the thought out there.

I also find it interesting that his family didn't accompany him to his visit to Duke this summer. It could be nothing but I find it strange that your parents wouldn't come on your first trip to the University you're supposedly committed to.

Wasn't it his Dad that was very much excited for him to commit to Duke? I do agree with you though that maybe he feels a little forgotten. I don't know all that has been going on with Collins, Wojo, and James all summer, but between helping out with the USA team, watching MP3 and AR, and who knows? Spending time with their families? :) they haven't quite made it out to visit Mr. Adams. Maybe teams are using our busy schedule to their advantage and going out and visiting him. Pretty lame, but hopefully it will smooth out.

SilkyJ
08-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Its also entirely possible that this Bulldogs website is spinning the news to sound favorable toward the 'dawgs when in fact there's nothing to see here.

A novel concept indeed....

Greg_Newton
08-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Supposedly this is purely academics. Hopefully he has a good year and doesn't go the way of Carrick...

Mrezt
08-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Its also entirely possible that this Bulldogs website is spinning the news to sound favorable toward the 'dawgs when in fact there's nothing to see here.

A novel concept indeed....

This. One look at this websites forums, at least the free board, shows me they want more visitors. "The Bleachers" and "College Sports New and Notes" have a lot of threads but barely, if any replies on them and only a couple of views. Seems to be working in my opinion considering the article is linked on multiple Duke websites. But i've also heard that Tyler Adams said he's not opening up his options. So seems to me, like the website took a rumor or misquote and exaggerated it to generate website visitors.

Greg_Newton
08-03-2010, 06:01 PM
From what I gather, this seems to be the most likely scenario (although I don't know this for sure):

A) Tyler wants to go to Duke, but still has some qualifying to do.

B) Georgetown has been at a few of his games... mainly to watch Johnny O'Bryant.

C) MSU is the backup plan if he doesn't academicallly qualify for Duke.

Hopefully he keeps hitting the books.

Bluedog
08-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Adams himself is calling it a rumor.

Tyler Adams its jus a rumor
2 hours ago · Comment · Like

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs626.ash1/27444_1119405186_8073_n.jpg

FireOgilvie
08-03-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm glad he says it's just a rumor... I'm really excited about Adams. He has the potential to be a beast.

MisterRoddy
08-03-2010, 10:20 PM
From what I gather, this seems to be the most likely scenario (although I don't know this for sure):

A) Tyler wants to go to Duke, but still has some qualifying to do.

B) Georgetown has been at a few of his games... mainly to watch Johnny O'Bryant.

C) MSU is the backup plan if he doesn't academicallly qualify for Duke.

Hopefully he keeps hitting the books.

Agree with this (mainly A and C). In all likelihood, it's Tyler keeping his options open in case he doesn't qualify for Duke. Personally, I'm not worried, that could change, but right now, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. He's still a solid verbal.

yancem
08-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Adams himself is calling it a rumor.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs626.ash1/27444_1119405186_8073_n.jpg

I can't see the cinder block joints in the background but I can still tell that he is a BIG boy. I'm hoping everything works out because he seems like a good kid with a lot of potential.

CDu
08-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I can't see the cinder block joints in the background but I can still tell that he is a BIG boy. I'm hoping everything works out because he seems like a good kid with a lot of potential.

Yeah, he's definitely more massive/muscular than your typical high school recruit. I don't know anything about his actual game, but he's a big boy for sure.

BD80
08-04-2010, 01:15 PM
... I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. He's still a solid verbal.

You mean like this?

http://www.nypress.com/imgs/blogs/blog5018nal.jpg

Oh, I thought you said SOLO gerbil ...

El_Diablo
08-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Okay, I got a hi-res zoom and cleaned it up a bit to get the cinder blocks in the background. From this picture, his wingspan is now approximately 64 cinder blocks (including the inter-block mortar). This is a slight increase from his last measurement.

Judging by these calculations, he should now be able to dunk flat-footed from beyond the three-point line, which would be hard to defend against (for everyone not named Patrick Davidson, that is).

Indoor66
08-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Okay, I got a hi-res zoom and cleaned it up a bit to get the cinder blocks in the background. From this picture, his wingspan is now approximately 64 cinder blocks (including the inter-block mortar). This is a slight increase from his last measurement.

Judging by these calculations, he should now be able to dunk flat-footed from beyond the three-point line, which would be hard to defend against (for everyone not named Patrick Davidson, that is).

Precise measurement, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

COYS
08-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Precise measurement, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Since Tyler himself refuted the rumor, I'd ordinarily support closing a thread such as this, but man, the jokes are just too good.

jjh1080
08-04-2010, 09:08 PM
The article posted on Dukereport.com talks about grades issues.

I believe if one is having a tough time making the grade in high school they probably won't be able to make the college grades too easy and being committed to Duke basketball on top of that might just be too much for most to handle.

oldnavy
08-05-2010, 06:40 AM

No, but if you notice he is at least 6 inches taller than the scoreboard, which are typically 15 feet or so off the ground, so I would say he has grown a tremendous amount over the past year. And isn't that Cheryl Miller he is standing next too?? ;)

MisterRoddy
08-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Well, this should hopefully end the speculation.

http://duke.scout.com/2/996724.html

:)

BD80
08-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Well, this should hopefully end the speculation.

http://duke.scout.com/2/996724.html

:)

Can we close this thread now?

I don't see a need for threads with negative titles to stay open and be dredged up in the future.