PDA

View Full Version : How/where to watch Duke games in Toronto

Poincaré
07-30-2010, 04:15 PM
I recently moved to Toronto and I am finding out that many things (phone/health/car/tv/internet) work differently in Canada compare to the US.

I have held off on signing up for television service until I can ascertain which option is best for watching Duke basketball. So any advice/suggestions would be most welcome.

Also, are there any Duke bars, Duke alumni clubs, or any place of that sort where Duke fans gather to watch games up here?

Thanks in advance for your help, fellow Crazies.

Best Regards,
Me

4decadedukie
07-31-2010, 10:09 AM
This may not be particularly helpful, but I have a dear Duke friend who spent a year in China and watched most games -- without too many problems -- via SlingBox on his laptop.

BlueDuke
08-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I live in Canada and can watch about 80% of Duke's games on the college package that Bell and Rogers carry. This package shows almost all football and basketball games that any ESPN network carries (which in the case of Duke basketball, is quite a bit). The rest I watch online on justintv or channelsurfing.net.

Hope this helps.

Poincaré
08-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I live in Canada and can watch about 80% of Duke's games on the college package that Bell and Rogers carry. This package shows almost all football and basketball games that any ESPN network carries (which in the case of Duke basketball, is quite a bit). The rest I watch online on justintv or channelsurfing.net.

Hope this helps.

Well that sounds decent. I'll check it out. By the way, does Canada belong to a designated "region" like various parts of the US do? That is, will I get god-forsaken Big 10 games at times instead of ACC games at times when they are broadcast at the same time?

BlueDuke
08-01-2010, 09:20 PM
The only time you may run into that issue is when the game is on cbs for example. But in Canada the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) are all split into east and west, and most satellite and cable packages include both when you join, so you would be able to see both games that are being shown. I can honestly say that over the past 15-20 years that I have been following Duke I have never seen them be bumped for some Big Ten game, although I do live in eastern Canada, and would most likely always see the Duke game regardless. The college package will show the game nationwide, so duke will never be bumped on that package if espn is in any way carrying the game. For $99 a year its a good deal for all the college football and basketball games it shows (100's), and since I like college ball in the general, its well worth it.

I have Bell satellite in case your wondering my carrier.

nocilla
08-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I watched every single game last year and I don't have cable or satelite. What I didn't get on t local channels I found on channelsurfing.net, justin.tv, or cbs.com. Espn360 is another option. Of course with all of these, the video quality is subject to your computer/internet.

On a side note, I did not expect channelsurfing.net to last as long as it has. I imagine the cable/satelite companies don't like it at all. I don't even know for sure if it is legal, but they have been on for over a year, so maybe they are doing something right.

Bluedog
08-02-2010, 04:12 PM
On a side note, I did not expect channelsurfing.net to last as long as it has. I imagine the cable/satelite companies don't like it at all. I don't even know for sure if it is legal, but they have been on for over a year, so maybe they are doing something right.

Their servers are not in the US, so they are not subject to US law. They used to be in Sweden, but I just checked, and apparently they're now in the Netherlands! Still says Sweden on their Terms of Service page:
The material on the Website is designed to comply with Swedish law and we cannot be held responsible for any non-compliance with applicable local laws in any other jurisdiction.

But the IP address of the server is definitely a Dutch one now and in the past it's been a Swedish one...