PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Purvis will "definitely" visit Duke

silverbax
07-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Duke and UNC have not offered, but it looks like the interest in the top PG for 2013 is heating up:

http://www.basketballelite.com/index.php/basketball-recruiting/catching-up-with-rodney-purvis-basketball-recruiting/

uh_no
07-28-2010, 09:05 PM
early candidate for longest thread ever?

only 3 years to go!

silverbax
07-29-2010, 12:22 PM
When a player may be the next Derrick Rose/John Wall type player, they get noticed.

monkey
07-29-2010, 12:33 PM
any chance he commits in the next few weeks? ;)

uh_no
07-29-2010, 01:09 PM
When a player may be the next Derrick Rose/John Wall type player, they get noticed.

he is a sophomore in high school

no one knows what type of player he'll be

RoyalBlue08
07-29-2010, 01:10 PM

When a player may be the next Derrick Rose/John Wall type player, he is likely to get a season's worth of wins vacated.

Duvall
07-29-2010, 01:11 PM

It's one thing to note an outstanding prospect, but I'm not sure we need to note his every movement three years out. It's not that big a deal that Purvis plans to visit Duke, given that he lives in Raleigh.

tommy
07-29-2010, 03:17 PM
any chance he commits in the next few weeks? ;)

Nah. I think he's known all along where he's going and he's just playing games with everyone to keep attention on himself. . . :)

uh_no
07-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Nah. I think he's known all along where he's going and he's just playing games with everyone to keep attention on himself. . . :)

this guy is really keeping his leanings close to his vest though....

Huh?
07-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Raleigh has put out some serious talent lately...

silverbax
07-29-2010, 07:22 PM
The only thing about Purvis is that he's young. He's already better than most of the senior point guards in the country. But, as the next three years go by, he'll get used to everyone lauding him so he has to stay focused.

Kedsy
07-29-2010, 10:35 PM
The only thing about Purvis is that he's young. He's already better than most of the senior point guards in the country. But, as the next three years go by, he'll get used to everyone lauding him so he has to stay focused.

Have you seen him play? It would surprise me if a 14 year old was really already better than more than half of this year's senior point guards.

roywhite
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Have you seen him play? It would surprise me if a 14 year old was really already better than more than half of this year's senior point guards.

He's 16 already, older than most rising sophomores.

Pretty good article about his background and family situation. (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/06/21/1514505/purvis-impressing-upperclassmen.html)

sgdevil
10-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Rodney played a pickup game today with the team, looks like he had a good time according to his tweet. "SMH great visit at Duke.twitter.com/rpurvis_44

BriantheBlogger
10-03-2010, 01:20 AM
According to his twitter : Found out I have a schoolarship from Duke. Smh, thank the lord !!!!

DukeBlueNV
10-03-2010, 01:22 AM
He also got a scholly offer, saw a bunch of stuff about it on Twitter... (Sorry can't post the links cuz I'm posting from my iPhone)

juise
10-03-2010, 02:05 AM
He also got a scholly offer, saw a bunch of stuff about it on Twitter... (Sorry can't post the links cuz I'm posting from my iPhone)

Yeah, his Twitter (http://twitter.com/rpurvis_44) says:

Found out I have a schoolarship from Duke. Smh, thank the lord !!!!

dbluedevil222
10-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Any news? He was at CTC, did he enjoy it?

ACCBBallFan
10-18-2010, 06:38 PM

http://www.therecruitscoop.com/recruits-breakdown-midnight-madness-2010

Have yet to hear a recruit say anything but great about their visit and trend continues

"odney Purvis ’12 of North Carolina – Duke – It was an amazing experience, being in that the atmosphere meant a lot. The fans are great. They showed me a lot of love! Afterwards, myself and all of the recruits went in to the locker room and interacted with the players. My family and I really enjoyed our time at Duke!"

DukeBlueNV
10-18-2010, 06:49 PM
It's a premium article but there is some good stuff in there if you can read it...

http://duke.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1140685

Zerogee
10-18-2010, 07:28 PM
http://www.therecruitscoop.com/recruits-breakdown-midnight-madness-2010

"Rodney Purvis ’12"

On his Twitter, he also said that he had enough credits and was "officially a Junior," and then another tweet stated that he's Class of 2012 now. So this thread just got one year shorter.

COYS
10-18-2010, 07:32 PM
On his Twitter, he also said that he had enough credits and was "officially a Junior," and then another tweet stated that he's Class of 2012 now. So this thread just got one year shorter.

That will probably prevent it from eclipsing Austin's thread . . . probably.

tommy
10-18-2010, 07:41 PM

I likewise have never heard of a recruit admitting he didn't enjoy his on-campus visit. They always at the very least "went well."

Kinda like the report of every single surgical procedure ever performed on an athlete. The surgery is always "successful." Meaningless!

DevilHorns
10-18-2010, 07:49 PM
I likewise have never heard of a recruit admitting he didn't enjoy his on-campus visit. They always at the very least "went well."

Kinda like the report of every single surgical procedure ever performed on an athlete. The surgery is always "successful." Meaningless!

From somebody in the medical field, if things go bad in the operating room, patients are told about it honestly and bluntly. You can't sugarcoat bad outcomes.

But I get your point. In the basketball world, if a team is recruiting you, you'll most inevitably say it "went well." But, just like letters of recommendation for any school/job you've ever applied for, there are variations of "went well."

Nrrrrvous
10-18-2010, 07:56 PM
I hope he quickly becomes famous. That way folks will have someone else to ask me if I'm related to, other than Melvin Purvis. I'm a little tired of that one.

ACCBBallFan
10-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I do not do premoium but saw this teaser on my Google alert

Purvis Recounts Experience At CTC
The Devils Den.com
It wasn't so much a basketball decision for me in terms of deciding on a college, ... I hung out with a lot of the guys, Quinn Cook, Rasheed Sulaimon, ...

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=1012991&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f101 2991.html

By Steve Clark
TDD Staff
Date: Oct 17, 2010

Even before he attended Duke's Countdown to Craziness, Raleigh native Rodney Purvis made news by reclassifying to the class of 2012. The five star prospect spoke to TDD about that and his weekend visit to Durham on Sunday....

tommy
10-19-2010, 04:42 PM
From somebody in the medical field, if things go bad in the operating room, patients are told about it honestly and bluntly. You can't sugarcoat bad outcomes.

But I get your point. In the basketball world, if a team is recruiting you, you'll most inevitably say it "went well." But, just like letters of recommendation for any school/job you've ever applied for, there are variations of "went well."

I know. My dad was a doctor. I know that the doctor gives the straight story to the patient, even when the procedure doesn't go as planned or as hoped. My comment was intended to call out (obviously I didn't do it very well) the absurdity of the spin routinely given to (and accepted by) the media by the doctor and/or patient/athlete, always telling the media that the surgery was "successful" even if it wasn't. With the result being that by now, hearing that an athlete's surgery was "successful" means nada.

dukeballboy88
10-20-2010, 12:25 PM
well i just was informed by a unc insider that Purvis wants to go to UNC bad but Roy is not gonna offer him. he said roy would rather have lj rose!

Cockabeau
10-20-2010, 12:48 PM
I am not sure I believe that at all....unless Roy knows whats up with Shabazz-that is the only scenario I can compute at this time.

EDIT:There might be something to this...

Purvis recounts Duke visit
Multiple Pages 1 2 3...7 8 9 <-------------------Premium thread on IC! LMAO if true.

devildeac
10-20-2010, 12:52 PM
well i just was informed by a unc insider that Purvis wants to go to UNC bad but Roy is not gonna offer him. he said roy would rather have lj rose!

I am not sure I believe that at all....unless Roy knows whats up with Shabazz-that is the only scenario I can compute at this time.

Maybe he has this overwhelming desire to wear a fake grass skirt with his banana or pumpkin costume(jk). Somehow, I doubt it.

SilkyJ
10-20-2010, 01:56 PM

The UNC insiders also said they had made up serious ground with Austin Rivers.

That also sounds like a convenient excuse for when they don't land him. "we didn't want him anyway"

sagegrouse
10-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Not necessarily meaningless. The athlete is brought to campus and treated like a king -- private jets, limos, great meals, people gladhanding him everywhere he goes, personal time and dinner with one of the icons of college hoops [actual or would-be], maybe a pretty girl or two, and palling around and playing ball with serious college athletes.

I suppose things could go wrong, but it sure would be unplanned.

I don't think too many college coaches channel the old Adolph Rupp approach (to Jeff Mullins, e.g.): "Son, I am going to offer you a scholarship to the University of Kentucky, but if you don't accept it right now here in my office, I am gonna give it to someone else."

sagegrouse