PDA

View Full Version : Dre introduces the freshman triumvirate

Mike Corey
07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB9CJR4M920

roywhite
07-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Kids havin' fun...gotta love it!

They'll be in such a high visibility, high pressure role, but it's great to see that they appear to like each other and are having a good time.

SilkyJ
07-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Tyler almost seems like the spokesperson for the "trio," which is what you would expect from a classic floor general. Josh and Kyrie were always pointing to him and looking to him as the first person to speak.

CEF1959
07-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Judging from that video, if Kyrie Irving is 6'2", no way is Josh Hairston 6'9". Or even 6'8". I see a 4-5" difference in their heights, max.

NSDukeFan
07-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Judging from that video, if Kyrie Irving is 6'2", no way is Josh Hairston 6'9". Or even 6'8". I see a 4-5" difference in their heights, max.

The problem is that the cinder blocks at the back were quite far away, making it difficult to use them as an accurate measure. I figure they were about half of a window pane different in their heights, but I am not exactly sure of the angle to the window panes.

uh_no
perspective......

SilkyJ
Judging from that video

Come on, dude. This should be obvious, but there are several unknowns here, what if Josh is slouching a little, or standing with his feet a little further apart, what kind of shoes are they wearing, maybe josh only has sandals on, etc.

Not to mention, guesstimating that Josh is 4-5 inches from a video comes with a degree of error and so your internal "scale" could easily be off and what looks like 5 inches to you is really 7 inches.

Anyway, this should be in throaty's handbook, but don't try and make height/weight guesstimates from videos. Its tougher than you think.

Now if you meet them in person, then that's another story. Much easier to estimate in person, but even then there's some error b/c most of us are so much shorter.

magjayran
07-27-2010, 01:40 PM
I swear Kyrie is a little taller than the height he's listed at. First I saw him at the bank and was surprised with his height. Then I saw him at the Pro Am and he was standing next to one of his coaches that I just happen to be acquainted with. Now I see him standing next to Hairston in this video and I'm almost positive that he's a shade taller than the 6'2" I see attributed to him.

peblnh8
07-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Kryie is 100% clown. what a loosie goosie dude. looking forward to some Nolan vs Kyrie reparte!

Duvall
07-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Come on, dude. This should be obvious, but there are several unknowns here, what if Josh is slouching a little, or standing with his feet a little further apart, what kind of shoes are they wearing, maybe josh only has sandals on, etc.

Not to mention, guesstimating that Josh is 4-5 inches from a video comes with a degree of error and so your internal "scale" could easily be off and what looks like 5 inches to you is really 7 inches.

Anyway, this should be in throaty's handbook, but don't try and make height/weight guesstimates from videos. Its tougher than you think.

Now if you meet them in person, then that's another story. Much easier to estimate in person, but even then there's some error b/c most of us are so much shorter.

Plus, Kyrie is wearing a hat. You have to adjust for the hat.

Mike Corey
07-27-2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.sportsci.org/traintech/strengthshoes/WhtShoe2.Gif

Duvall
07-27-2010, 02:28 PM
http://www.sportsci.org/traintech/strengthshoes/WhtShoe2.Gif

It is Jersey-approved.

sagegrouse
07-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Check the substantial difference in shoulder heights.

sagegrouse

roywhite
07-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Josh is obviously hunched over...probably from riding one of those rental bikes that was too small for him.

Good setup by Kyrie and Tyler.

ACCBBallFan
07-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Regardless of his height, if his weight is only 220, Josh would struggle to guard the bearded Plumlee in practice. Looks like it will be up to Mason and Ryan to share that chore in practice and games.

Kids seem to be having fun with a guy who could have been part of their incoming class had he not taken one for the team last year. Those four plus Curry, Mason, Ryan and the lone junior Miles make for a very bright future after Kyle and Nolan move on.

I could not quite hear the audio at either the front or the end but group seemed pretty loose with the MC duty probably being tougher on Dre than the responder role for the frosh trio.

Biking together, playing on the same pro AM, same DC Assault and Same Team USA all good for bonding.

Orange&BlackSheep
07-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Can someone translate what Tyler says at the end of the piece that has the others breaking up? I can't for the life of me figure out what he says ...

flyingdutchdevil
07-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Dre still has the braces? Wow...

Duke of Nashville
07-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Can someone translate what Tyler says at the end of the piece that has the others breaking up? I can't for the life of me figure out what he says ...

Were gonna get enough, so everyone can have two.

I do not know the meaning, maybe girls...haha

roywhite
07-27-2010, 07:05 PM

Two rings.

Duke of Nashville
07-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Two rings.

I like the way you think but that is no laughing matter...; )

Faison1
07-27-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm jealous. I bet those guys have a blast. I also bet Dre is happy to have his AAU bros down there with him. On top of that, I bet they have the experiences of a lifetime together.

roywhite
07-27-2010, 07:41 PM

Actually, I think he may have said "gonna get nut", so everyone can have two. A little off-color, and his teammates break up.

DukieInBrasil
07-27-2010, 07:57 PM
ironic that Dre is introducing the three guys that were originally scheduled to be his incoming classmates. I have to believe that Dre will be able to contribute more now that he has been thru a year of the ACC plus the National Championship (I never get tired of saying that) than if he had remained in HS for his Sr. year. Looks like we got a good bunch of kids to represent the program....

ajgoodfella7
07-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Andre looks to have taken a few pounds off since the end of last season.

yancem
07-27-2010, 08:26 PM

Funny, I was thinking that Irving looked a couple of inches taller than Thornton who Scout lists at 6'2". What ever is going on with the visual perspective, their listed heights don't seem correct.

dairedevil
07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
What I'm thinking is that Andre STILL looks younger than any of his teammates-even these guys from the same freshman class. Such a baby face!

gep
07-29-2010, 12:56 AM
They all 3 (plus Dre) appear to have respect and closeness/fun together. I hope once the "competition" starts (within the team) that they can keep their togetherness and "team first" concept, I think Duke will be very exciting for the next few years. I just can't wait, not only for the upcoming season, but the future as well. Who said that USA Basketball will water-down, wear-down Coach K in regards to Duke?!?!? We Duke fans are the luckiest fans on the planet.:cool:

ThePublisher
07-29-2010, 02:38 AM
"get a couple, we gon get enuf so errbody can have two"

I'm sure he is referring to repeating as champs, and then another championship after that so the freshman can have 2 as well.

Why is the first page and a half of this thread about perspective and if you all think maybe, perhaps Joshua is taller or not taller than he is supposed to be wearing certain shoes compared to others and how high the camera is and blah blah blah. Come on guys.

noyac
07-29-2010, 08:14 AM
"get a couple, we gon get enuf so errbody can have two"

I'm sure he is referring to repeating as champs, and then another championship after that so the freshman can have 2 as well.

That is the way I heard it too. I am pretty sure he was referring to Championships and like you said the fact that he wants everybody to have two. I am sure he would not make an off color comment such as the one mentioned earlier.

MCFinARL
07-29-2010, 09:56 AM
That is the way I heard it too. I am pretty sure he was referring to Championships and like you said the fact that he wants everybody to have two. I am sure he would not make an off color comment such as the one mentioned earlier.

Well, he MIGHT make an off color comment (since I don't know him I can't say), but they probably wouldn't post it on Duke Blue Planet if he did. :o

Chitowndevil
07-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Funny, I was thinking that Irving looked a couple of inches taller than Thornton who Scout lists at 6'2". What ever is going on with the visual perspective, their listed heights don't seem correct.

It may be that the way he's wearing that hat (together with the camera angle) makes KI look an inch or two taller.

Mike Corey
07-30-2010, 01:15 AM
It may be that the way he's wearing that hat (together with the camera angle) makes KI look an inch or two taller.

Abraham Lincoln, who was 6'4 and taller than most in his age, wanted to exacerbate the difference even more by wearing his customary top hats.

Lyndon Johnson would make sure to have his chair raised higher than that of the political friends or foes who would enter his office, so that he would be able to look down upon them and influence their votes or political decisions.

Kyrie Irving's New Year's Resolution this year? Grow. In the meantime, he's following in the footsteps of other ballers in making the most of what you've got.