PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the most memorable Duke games?

wtm001
07-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Sorry if we already have a thread like this, but what are the best and closest games in recent Duke history. Here's a few examples:

Duke vs. Maryland - Miracle Minute
Duke vs. Virginia - Dockery Buzzer Beater
Duke vs. Kentucky - The Shot

elvis14
07-26-2010, 05:29 PM
I kinda liked that Duke-Butler game we played a few months back.

Duvall
07-26-2010, 05:29 PM
UNC at Duke, 1995
UNC at Duke, 1997
UNC at Duke, 1998
Duke at UNC, 1999
Duke at UNC, 2001
UNC vs. Duke, 2003
Duke at UNC, 2004
UNC at Duke, 2005
Duke at UNC, 2008
UNC at Duke, 2010

wtm001
07-26-2010, 05:37 PM
UNC at Duke, 1995
UNC at Duke, 1997
UNC at Duke, 1998
Duke at UNC, 1999
Duke at UNC, 2001
UNC vs. Duke, 2003
Duke at UNC, 2004
UNC at Duke, 2005
Duke at UNC, 2008
UNC at Duke, 2010

haha nice, all Duke vs UNC games :p

mkline09
07-26-2010, 05:39 PM
The great revenge game. Was litterally unable to sit for the whole game paced back and fourth and a I was only 12.

moonpie23
07-26-2010, 06:01 PM
championship game in 99 is etched into my brain.........unfortunately....

Bluedevil114
07-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Sorry if we already have a thread like this, but what are the best and closest games in recent Duke history. Here's a few examples:

I was at the Duke vs. Maryland- Miracle Minute which was outstanding. That is the game that Boozer's mom got hit with a bottle at the end of the game. Remember weeks later Duke was down by 22 points in the Final Four to Maryland and came back to win and two days later win the National Championship.

pfrduke
07-26-2010, 06:27 PM

The opponent in this game was Virginia Tech. Perhaps not so memorable? ;)

Orange&BlackSheep
07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
I am just going to throw a random one out there that has always stuck in my mind ...

In 1990, Arizona came to Cameron and after a tough game, duke looked like it was going to lose, trailing and with Abdelnaby fouled out and Laettner near fouled out and Arizona's big, front line of Brian Williams, Sean Rooks etal poised to do even more damage. But Phil Henderson scored big bucket after big bucket down the stretch and we somehow managed to guard their bigs with a lineup that had Robert Brickey and Brian Davis guarding way bigger dudes. The impossibility of it made the win that much more memorable.

cf-62
07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Well, you said recent, then included a game from 10 years ago, and a game from 20 years ago.

There are some fun games that have been played - that slip under the radar because they didn't mean as much. Some of my favorites of those are:

Duke at UVA - 1997(?): Wojo goes the length of the court while the clock doesn't run, the refs do a stopwatch on the replay, and count the basket - and the game is over
Duke at NCSU - 2008: Yes, really. I had the fortune to attend this game, and it actually felt like a big game. THe 8 point comeback in the last 2 minutes made it even better
Duke at UNC - 2001: Days after Boozer breaks his foot, Duke heads to UNC to face Brendan Haywood and Kris Lang. Coach puts in a version of the amoeba defense 1-1-3 zone with Shane basically having free rein to do whatever he wants. Doherty sits his big men practically the whole 2nd half
2003 ACC Championship - Freshman JJ leads a 15 point comeback against NC State -- nuff said
1996 Duke UCLA - an 8-8 Duke team faces the defending national champs in Cameron on a brilliant spring day. My favorite Cameron sign of all time spends the game behind the UCLA bench: U'd Come in Last in the ACC. Duke wins by 20.

wtm001
07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
The opponent in this game was Virginia Tech. Perhaps not so memorable? ;)

Whoops, I knew it was Virginia Tech, I just forgot to add the Tech part

wtm001
07-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Well, you said recent, then included a game from 10 years ago, and a game from 20 years ago.

There are some fun games that have been played - that slip under the radar because they didn't mean as much. Some of my favorites of those are:

Duke at UVA - 1997(?): Wojo goes the length of the court while the clock doesn't run, the refs do a stopwatch on the replay, and count the basket - and the game is over
Duke at NCSU - 2008: Yes, really. I had the fortune to attend this game, and it actually felt like a big game. THe 8 point comeback in the last 2 minutes made it even better
Duke at UNC - 2001: Days after Boozer breaks his foot, Duke heads to UNC to face Brendan Haywood and Kris Lang. Coach puts in a version of the amoeba defense 1-1-3 zone with Shane basically having free rein to do whatever he wants. Doherty sits his big men practically the whole 2nd half
2003 ACC Championship - Freshman JJ leads a 15 point comeback against NC State -- nuff said
1996 Duke UCLA - an 8-8 Duke team faces the defending national champs in Cameron on a brilliant spring day. My favorite Cameron sign of all time spends the game behind the UCLA bench: U'd Come in Last in the ACC. Duke wins by 20.

Sorry maybe I should have left recent out. Thanks for reminding me about the NC State game from 2008, I completely forgot about it.

Cameron
07-26-2010, 07:32 PM
The good: 2009 ACC Championship, versus Florida State. We go crazy, drilling 12 threes behind 29 from Scheyer and 27 from Henderson and Duke regains its rightful place as champion of the greatest basketball tournament on earth. After Carolina had won it twice in '07 and '08, the win was that much sweeter.

The bad: Wake Forest, 2OT, 2003. Duhon goes OFF, drilling multiple second half triples from 30 feet plus, but we fall in an absolute war of attrition as the Winston-Salem officials begin dropping our guys one by one via foul trouble. Never have I seen such a drawn out and exhausting finish, not even the '95 Duke-Carolina epic. Even with the loss, it still stands as one of the defining games of Chris Duhon at Duke. He regained his shooting touch that night, the one we all knew he had, but that the rest of the nation had rarely seen his junior season.

PumpkinFunk
07-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Favorite games are the ones that I've witnessed in person. The FF game against WVU and the NC game against Butler. Every time we've shut Greivis up in Cameron in my 3 years at Duke. The icing, though, was the Carolina game this year.

sleepybear
07-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Some that come to mind for me are

1986 Duke vs Navy in NCAA tournament. Navy had David Robinson and Duke dominated winning by 20. Dawkins had a great game with a spectacular reverse dunk over Robinson.
1991 Duke vs UNLV
1988 Duke vs #1 Temple in the NCAA tournament.
200? Duke vs Viginia when JJ scored 40pts on 10-13 shooting

Cameron
07-26-2010, 07:46 PM

2006. 40 points on 11-of-13 shooting. Probably the best display we ever saw from Duke's all-time greatest shooter. Even better than his absolute destruction of No. 2 Texas in MSG, in which J.J. tied a school record with nine threes.

My favorite in-person game: nothing tops Butler in Indy. If Heaven were our own vision of paradise, that'd be mine.

pfrduke
07-26-2010, 07:50 PM

1986 Duke vs Navy in NCAA tournament. Navy had David Robinson and Duke dominated winning by 20. Dawkins had a great game with a spectacular reverse dunk over Robinson.
1991 Duke vs UNLV

It was in 2006, and he was 11-13 (8-10 from 3) and 10-11 from the line. The 41 he hung on Texas in a 31-point beatdown earlier in the season in a 1 vs. 2 matchup was rather memorable, as well.

grossbus
07-26-2010, 07:56 PM
"Duke at UNC - 2001: Days after Boozer breaks his foot, Duke heads to UNC to face Brendan Haywood and Kris Lang. Coach puts in a version of the amoeba defense 1-1-3 zone with Shane basically having free rein to do whatever he wants. Doherty sits his big men practically the whole 2nd half"

and the replay in the acc semi's.

pfrduke
07-26-2010, 07:58 PM
"Duke at UNC - 2001: Days after Boozer breaks his foot, Duke heads to UNC to face Brendan Haywood and Kris Lang. Coach puts in a version of the amoeba defense 1-1-3 zone with Shane basically having free rein to do whatever he wants. Doherty sits his big men practically the whole 2nd half"

and the replay in the acc semi's.

The replay was in the ACC title. The semis game was against Maryland, which was another classic, won by a Nate James tip-in after Williams layup rolled off the rim. We had three really epic wins against Maryland that year - Gone in 54 Seconds, the Tourney Tip-in, and the 22-point comeback in the Final Four.

MisterRoddy
07-26-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm surprised only one has mentioned 82-50 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwBnW2pJBOI)

The two of my favorites are some of those the OP has mentioned: Dockery's Shot Against VT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16za9PkU9Wk) and Duke's Miracle Minute against Maryland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84), led by Jason Williams.

Jeff Capel's Shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAZvnJ_sngI) was also one of my favorites, even though we did end up losing.

MulletMan
07-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Point of Order... the 2001 game at College Park is referred to as Gone in 54 Seconds. That is both a timely and descriptive moniker for the game. In fact, I've never heard it called the Miracle Minute until this thread.

Gone in 54 Seconds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhoAuSamgr4).

The Mullet has spoken!

MisterRoddy
07-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Point of Order... the 2001 game at College Park is referred to as Gone in 54 Seconds. That is both a timely and descriptive moniker for the game. In fact, I've never heard it called the Miracle Minute until this thread.

The Mullet has spoken!

Type "Miracle Minute" in google and you will find multiple Duke/Maryland references. Although I realize that it can be referred to as both names, this is the first time I'm hearing of "Gone in 54 Seconds."

Duvall
07-26-2010, 10:43 PM

The Mullet has spoken!

Point of Information: Does it make sense to include in this discussion of great Duke performances a game that consisted of 39 minutes of horrible play by Duke, followed by a one-minute implosion by a backup point guard, then overtime?

pfrduke
07-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Point of Information: Does it make sense to include in this discussion of great Duke performances a game that consisted of 39 minutes of horrible play by Duke, followed by a one-minute implosion by a backup point guard, then overtime?

Point of... whatever. The OP did go for "memorable" Duke games. Great or not (and there is certainly some greatness involved in that game), one can hardly dispute that it was memorable.

Azdukefan
07-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Living on the west coast, I have only had the opportunity to see two games in person;

2004 FF v. Uconn & 2010 UNC @ Duke

Both are memorable for different reasons but mostly because I was present.

The two most memorable to have seen on TV were;

1994 Championship Game (Grant Hill is gold) & 2001 FF v. Maryland

The miracle minute was great but didn't have the ramifications of the 2001 FF.

Cameron
07-26-2010, 11:09 PM
I've heard "Miracle Minute," "Gone in 54 seconds," "Gone in 60 seconds" (obviously, the latter is a direct play off of the Nick Cage car caper) and "The Lights Go Out at Johnny Rockets."

No matter which is the correct answer, one thing remains consistent with each. Maryland's goal posts were brought down that night for no reason at all. And that makes me smile really brightly.

Duvall
07-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Point of... whatever. The OP did go for "memorable" Duke games. Great or not (and there is certainly some greatness involved in that game), one can hardly dispute that it was memorable.

That's true. Still, I can't help thinking that dominant efforts almost get short shrift in these discussions. Take the 1999 team's win at Cole, where Duke just physically dominated a highly-ranked Maryland team. Now that's a game that we need to remember.

Cameron
07-26-2010, 11:17 PM
If we're talking dominations, I would say our assailment on Maryland at home this year and in 2002, when Jason Williams absolutely broke Steve Blake's ankles all night long on J's way to 30+ rank right up there. Both games, the Terrapins and their fan base came in wanting blood and believing they could get it. Wrong.

Sixthman
07-26-2010, 11:20 PM
1981 Duke beats UNC by one point in overtime on Senior night at Cameron, as a result of Gene Bank's 22 foot jumper at the buzzer. This was Coach K's first season. A solid Duke team that had struggled (with a losing record in the ACC) beat a UNC team featuring James Worthy and Sam Perkins that would make it to the national championship game.

muzikfrk75
07-26-2010, 11:24 PM
I of course remember the 2 games I went to: 2004 ACC Championship against Maryland (Duhon gets hurt and we lost) and 2010 vs Tulsa (a friend of mine is good friends with Tulsa PG Ben Uzoh). The Tulsa game was great because it was the first and only time I've been to Cameron!

Other games that are memorable for me (for good or not-so-good reasons):

Losing by 30 to UNLV then redemption the next year (the memory that sticks out for me is Tark saying after the game 'we were probably the best team ever that didn't win the national championship'

The Shot (I was around 13 at the time...my mom came into the room because she wanted to know why I was screaming lol)

Oh and one more....Indiana. My roommate from the time was from Indiana. Ugh. Double ugh.

The 2 losses to Uconn...1999 (watched it at work in front of a bunch of Duke haters, ugh) and 2004 (where Shavlik played to his potential...for once)

The Miracle Minute

Versus Texas (#1 vs #2...after the game all of the Duke haters were like 'ehhh Texas shouldn't have been ranked that high anyway')

Virginia Tech (Dockery!)

LSU (cannot stand Glen Davis to this day...seriously)

Oh and the Duke-unc classic when Duhon took it coast to coast for the win :-)

pfrduke
07-26-2010, 11:50 PM
If we're talking dominations, I would say our assailment on Maryland at home this year and in 2002, when Jason Williams absolutely broke Steve Blake's ankles all night long on J's way to 30+ rank right up there. Both games, the Terrapins and their fan base came in wanting blood and believing they could get it. Wrong.

Or at home last year, where we were up 66-23 and ended up winning 85-44. That was glorious.

DukieBoy
07-26-2010, 11:59 PM
A couple that stink out in my mind

2001 - Arizona vs. Duke - The first Duke game I remember watching. Stuck with em since
2004 - UConn vs. Duke - I hate UConn. I vividly remember this game, sensing us going down as the end drew near
2010 - Duke vs. UNC - I had a couple of UNC fans on my floor talking trash to me. I shut them up by writing 82-50 on their marker boards on their doors
2010 - Duke vs. Butler - Growing up an hour from Indy, it was diehard Butler support here. I rooted for them the entire season (along with Duke) until the national championship game. I told my friends that attended Butler I'd root for both teams, but that failed and I was rooting for Duke by halftime

tommy
07-27-2010, 12:03 AM
I am just going to throw a random one out there that has always stuck in my mind ...

In 1990, Arizona came to Cameron and after a tough game, duke looked like it was going to lose, trailing and with Abdelnaby fouled out and Laettner near fouled out and Arizona's big, front line of Brian Williams, Sean Rooks etal poised to do even more damage. But Phil Henderson scored big bucket after big bucket down the stretch and we somehow managed to guard their bigs with a lineup that had Robert Brickey and Brian Davis guarding way bigger dudes. The impossibility of it made the win that much more memorable.

Yes, the loss was memorable for Luther and Arizona as well, as the next year when we played the rematch in McKale, we experienced perhaps the worst home-job screwing in the K era, leading to a double overtime loss that never should've been. I was there for it. Duke hasn't returned to Tucson since.

DevilDan
07-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Before I get to my favorite games ... an earlier poster referred to our game @ Carolina, where we went up against Brendan Haywood & Kris Lang ... wait a minute --- THE KRIS LANG, the Master of the Jump Hook??? What a sorry excuse for a player, definitely one of my LEAST favorite Tar Heels ... UGH !

Now on to business ... going back aways ...

-- After getting whipped by one of the many great Wooden teams at UCLA in the Title Game in '64, the Bruins come to Cameron (at that point I believe it was still "Duke Indoor Stadium -- check me on that!), the following season, to play the Blue Devils there, and the next evening at Charlotte. The headline on the feature story in Sports Illustrated the following week said it all: "BLOOD ON THE CAROLINA MOON" ... two double-digit DUKE WINS.

-- The NCAA SemiFinal at College Park in 1966, when our guys -- minus a flu-drained and weakened Bob Verga -- fought the Pat Riley Kentucky team to the bitter end, before losing by 4 ... and on the next evening TEXAS WESTERN with "go go Bobby Joe" upset the Wildcats and made NCAA history -- changing the game forever (and for the BETTER)

-- The 1991 payback game in the NCAA SemiFinal against the "unbeatable" UNLV team. When asked how Duke would cope with Larry Johnson, Anderson Hunt, and the rest of the UNLV stars, Coach K remarked "We don't think they have anyone who can handle Christian Laettner" -- and he was RIGHT, as usual.

-- The 1992 NCAA Final against Michigan, where Bobby Hurley & Grant Hill showed the "Fab Five" how to play the GAME.

-- The 2010 NCAA Final against Butler, where we WHUPPED a team with 67,000 (of a total crowd of 70,000) supporters in their own back yard ... a team that was on a 25-game roll.

And SOOOOO many more ... again, so glad the name of KRIS LANG came up .... haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. GO DUKE !

Johnboy
07-27-2010, 12:04 AM

1991 Duke vs UNLV

Not over Robinson, but still spectacular.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL1T18T5sxk.

sagegrouse
07-27-2010, 12:39 AM
Jan. 29, 2000. Larry Shyatt's Tigers visited Cameron and Mr. and Mrs.Sage Grouse were in attendance. Duke won 93-59, but the game was notable for three things:

1. Duke led 58-16 at the half -- at the half!

2. It should have only been 55-16, but freshman Dunleavy screamed for the ball at midcourt with a couple of seconds remaining and banked one in at the buzzer. :p

3. Larry Shyatt said -- and I am not making this up -- "Well, at least we won the second half." :eek:

sagegrouse

AZLA
07-27-2010, 01:20 AM
Some others...

Laettner and Crazies shutting down Shaq @ home, holding him to 8 points (I think) and chanting, "1, 2, 3, 4, Shaq can't play this game no more!"

'92 home rematch against Michigan. A frustrated Rose can't handle Hurley (or the fans).

JJ Redick airmailing three pointers from Madison Square Garden's half-court to score 41 against Texas.

Finals against Kansas -- right when Grant somehow flushes that superhuman ally-oop

wtm001
07-27-2010, 02:49 AM
Thanks a lot guys, keep em coming!

4decadedukie
07-27-2010, 07:14 AM
To add one more candidate, the 2001 22-point ACC Semifinal comeback victory against Maryland in Atlanta.

muzikfrk75
07-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Duke at unc in 2006...I remember this game because I was in Kansas on business at the time and because Redick finally had a great game in the Dean Dome, hitting a dagger that pretty much sealed the win.

Also Duke at unc in 2008 (I think) when Paulus hit a ridiculous fall-down 3 pointer to deflate the crowd. Does anyone have a youtube link of that?

1 24 90
07-27-2010, 08:15 AM
I am going with the game that made me a Duke fan forever. My senior year in college at the University of Dayton, I was watching NC State at Duke on a Wednesday night. Chris Corchiani vs. Bobby Hurley. The game went to overtime and Duke won. Bobby Hurley is my favorite Dukie of all time. Kudos to ESPN Classic for showing this game in 2001, I believe so I could record it and keep it forever. Just a regular season game, but when anyone asks how long I've been a Duke fan my answer is "since January 24, 1990".

jdj4duke
07-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Maryland at Duke last year for the 41 point beatdown. I think it was about 5 minutes into the second half when, after a game when three pointers looked like they were being shot into washtubs, there were two absolutely gorgeous back-to-back fast breaks, one where the ball never hit floor from their end to our basket. After the dunk, Henderson was shown coming down the court with just a huge grin on his face. I loved it when Mike Patrick, pretty much out of comments by then, just said "It's a rout."

DevilWearsPrada
07-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Had to be the Duke Butler Championship game. I was at the Final 4! Lucas Oil Stadium was rocking. I had on my radio earpiece they sold in the stadium, and would listen to the CBS version and Bob Harris. Being there and seeing Duke win a National Championship was priceless!!!

Osiagledknarf
07-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Besides all the Championship games:

- Duke vs. Virginia Tech 2006: The heave from half court by Sean Dockery to win it after they blew a 13 point lead with 5 minutes to go.

- Duke vs. UNC 2005: J.J Redick had 18 and Demarcus Nelson had one of his best games at Duke with 16 off the bench. Raymond Felton's pass was tipped out of bounced and time expired to win 71-70 at Cameron.

- Duke vs. NC State 2008: Duke down by 8 with 2 minutes to go and Greg Paulus lead the charge to come back and win 87=86 at N.C State.

- Duke vs. Maryland 2001: The Miracle Minute. Duke was down 10 with a minute to go, Maryland was shooting in the high 5-'s from the field and Jason Williams was having a horrible game. Yet, Jason come back with 7 points in the final minute to help froce into overtime where they won 98-96 in O.T.

- Duke vs. Kentucky: The Shot. Enough Said.

Honorable Mentions:

Duke vs. UNC 2010: The Mason reserve thorwdown at UNC and the 32 bloodbath at Cameron.

Duke vs. Texas 2005

Duke vs. Baylor 2010

CEF1959
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Anyone remember the Green Shorts game? Maybe about 1980? There was a half-time youth game of kids about 10 years old, and there was a slightly chubby kid in green shorts who was clearly not the best athlete on the floor (to say the least). He wore green shorts. But his incredible enthusiasm endeared him to the crowd. He jumped around and got all excited, and we loved him. The chant went up, one side of the student section to the other: GREEN ----- SHORTS GREEN ----- SHORTS. I seem to recall he made a shot, and the crowd went wild, though my memory may be embellishing on that point.

Years after that, the Green Shorts cheer would get fired up in moments of lull. I'm sure most of the people participating had no idea what the reference was.

hq2
07-27-2010, 11:28 AM

Sorry, but the dunk was over Doug Wojcik, who is now the coach at Tulsa. Still, it should be in the top ten Duke dunks of all time.

Rogue
07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Any win over unc-ch.

February 24, 1979: #6 Duke 47, #4 North Carolina 40
Jim Spanarkel’s Senior Day game turned into one of the strangest afternoons in ACC basketball history as Duke held North Carolina scoreless for a half before knocking off the No. 4-ranked Tar Heels 47-40. North Carolina's only two shots of the first half were air balls. The Tar Heels held the ball throughout the first half, but Duke led 7-0 as Spanarkel forced two turnovers, assisted on a basket to Mike Gminski and scored the last bucket of the half on a short jumper. The senior guard added 15 points in the second half and finished with a game-high 17, hitting 8-of-9 field goal attempts. The win allowed Duke to tie North Carolina for the ACC regular season title.

This was also the game in which the term "air ball" was invented, as the Cameron Crazies started chanting it after a North Carolina miss. Rumor has it, that a Crazy sent a metal detector to the unc-ch locker room at half so they might find the rim :cool:

Held UNC to ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO in the first half..

The Gene Banks last second shot in 1981

Mike Lewis hits two free throws in the last seconds of the 1966 ACC simi finals tourney game against unc-ch to beat them 21-20,, yeah, carolina held the ball,,,, AGAIN.

ALL NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES.

Laettner's last second shots against Ky and Uconn in regionals

JV Game, Dick DeVenzio hits a shot from over mid court , almost his own free throw line to beat unc-ch , 1968

Big Pappa
07-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Two of the best are this year's NC against Butler and the Miracle Minute OT win against Maryland. But, my favorite Duke game that I have ever seen is the 2005 game against Texas. We were number 1 and 2 at the time and the game was being played in MSG I believe. I remember how hyped the game was and how we dominated, but I loved the performance by JJ the most.

41 points, 13-24 from the floor, and 6-6 from the line.

Orange&BlackSheep
07-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Sorry, but the dunk was over Doug Wojcik, who is now the coach at Tulsa. Still, it should be in the top ten Duke dunks of all time.

Didn't he dunk over Robinson in that game but just not a reverse dunk (the one in the youtube clip)? I recall him taking it down the middle of the lane and throwing it down. It was an awfully long time ago.

magjayran
07-27-2010, 01:52 PM

I was there. Great game.

pfrduke
07-27-2010, 02:24 PM
To add one more candidate, the 2001 22-point ACC Semifinal comeback victory against Maryland in Atlanta.

You're confusing your Maryland games - the 22-point comeback was in the National semifinal in Minneapolis. We were down 39-17 and ended up winning by double figures. Although (as noted above) the ACC Semifinal win was great as well.

pfrduke
07-27-2010, 02:28 PM
That's true. Still, I can't help thinking that dominant efforts almost get short shrift in these discussions. Take the 1999 team's win at Cole, where Duke just physically dominated a highly-ranked Maryland team. Now that's a game that we need to remember.

Similarly, if we're talking dominations, the two Michigan games in 2000 and 2001 can't be omitted. In December of 2000, we were up 34-2 on Michigan at home, and went on to win by 43. The next December, we went to Michigan and did only slightly worse, jumping out to a 29-4 lead before cruising to a 104-83 victory.

SMO
07-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Some others...

Laettner and Crazies shutting down Shaq @ home, holding him to 8 points (I think) and chanting, "1, 2, 3, 4, Shaq can't play this game no more!"

How about the crazies taunting, "Shaq's got a big old butt. Oh yeah?"

Billy Dat
07-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Some others that haven't been mentioned:

-The regular season game against St. Johns at MSG in 1999 which Duke won in OT. St. John's had Ron Artest, but it was Bootsy Thornton who put up 40 on us. Nearly everyone fouled out, we barely hung on, and Carawell had a crunch time spin move finish with a dunk that brought the house down.

-Duke v Kentucky, pre-league game at the Meadowlands in 2001. Duke was ranked #1 and Kentucky #7. The game was close at half (UK up) but then Duke fell by double digits in the second half. K pulled the starters for a long time and the reserves kept it close. He put the starters back in and Jason Williams scored 25 of his 38 points in the last 11 minutes of the game. He had a chance to win it at the line in the closing seconds but missed 1 of 2, it went to OT, and Dunleavy scored 7 in the OT for Duke to pull it out.

-Duke Maryland part 3 of 4 in 2001 in the ACC semis when Nate's late tip in gave us the win. It was probably the best played of the 4 games that year as there weren't as many crazy lead swings.

DeBlueDevil
07-27-2010, 03:01 PM
I can't remember who we were playing and its a shame because for some odd reason its when I truly fell in love with Duke forever.....but I believe it was a tournament game that we lost in the last minutes where Jayson Williams hit a 3 and got fouled and if he would have made the free throw we would have went to overtime and probably won. But unfortunately he missed the free throw.

I feel like it was his last year in a Duke uniform....Anyone remember that game?!?! and could you please tell me.

Duvall
07-27-2010, 03:03 PM
I can't remember who we were playing and its a shame because for some odd reason its when I truly fell in love with Duke forever.....but I believe it was a tournament game that we lost in the last minutes where Jayson Williams hit a 3 and got fouled and if he would have made the free throw we would have went to overtime and probably won. But unfortunately he missed the free throw.

I feel like it was his last year in a Duke uniform....Anyone remember that game?!?! and could you please tell me.

2002 NCAA regional semifinal against Indiana.

I think a lot of us remember that game.

DeBlueDevil
07-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks Duvall....yes that one just sticks in my head....hell of a game just sad we weren't on the winning end of it. Always liked Duke til that point but on that night I fell in love and haven't been the same sense. Damn you Coverdale!!!

AZLA
07-27-2010, 03:22 PM
How about the crazies taunting, "Shaq's got a big old butt. Oh yeah?"

Haha, ya, that was classic!

Osiagledknarf mentioned Baylor 2010 and I'd have to agree. That was a tense game, especially since it was basically a homecourt advantage for Baylor. Worst of all, I had a Baylor alumn / family friend (female) who turned into an annoying smack-talking blowhard, to the point of getting personal, who was gauranteeing a Baylor blowout and calling from Houston to 'playfully' taunt us. Plus ,Baylor was such a good, athletic team throughout the season and tournament, I was worried they matched up too well against Duke. It was funny, my wife told her, we'll take the men's victory and you can stay and root on the Baylor woman's team. The bet was, whoever won would by the other person a nice dinner. Of course, said friend was too proud to take us up on the offer -- this after insisting the refs gave Duke the game. Denial is universal.

gus
07-27-2010, 04:25 PM
This was also the game in which the term "air ball" was invented, as the Cameron Crazies started chanting it after a North Carolina miss.

Chick Hearn coined the term "air ball". What started at that game was the "air ball" chant, with the now familiar cadence "aiiiiiirrrrr baaaalllll"

hurleyfor3
07-27-2010, 04:40 PM
40-some point loss to Louisville during the 1983 season after which Coach said, "Here's to never forgetting tonight."

That game was before my time, so my equivalent would be Unlv 103, Duke 73 my freshman year.

Duvall
07-27-2010, 04:42 PM
40-some point loss to Louisville during the 1983 season after which Coach said, "Here's to never forgetting tonight."

That was Virginia.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-27-2010, 04:57 PM
1992 East Regional is definitely the most memorable. I have probably watched it all the way through 10+ times and the last 2.1 seconds countless times. It still gives me goosebumps.

The 1998 UNC game at home is the most memorable that I have seen in person. So amazingly loud in Cameron that night.

But to be honest, it's really those close and/or significant losses that stay with you the longest. 1999 UConn, 2004 UConn, 1998 UK, to name a few, still sting. A fellow Duke fan friend of mine at Vandy actually cried after the 1999 loss, and this guy never showed emotion. It scared me.

Tappan Zee Devil
07-27-2010, 06:27 PM
The Freddy Lind Game!

Where are the old timers? Third-ranked unc in the Indoor Stadium (not yet Cameron). Three overtimes after All-American Mike Lewis fouled out and little used Freddy Lind carries the team to victory. I was there and it was my most tense and then exhilarating moment in the Indoor stadium

Here is Jim Sumner's take on it.
http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...022108aac.html

Cameron
07-27-2010, 06:28 PM
The next December [2001], we went to Michigan and did only slightly worse, jumping out to a 29-4 lead before cruising to a 104-83 victory.

I was there that afternoon. Awesome. Jason had his high of points in a single game up that point in his career that day, with 35, I believe, which he later broke against UNC at home on "Junior Day" 2002.

As for the losses sticking with you the longest, truer words have never been spoken. F you, Tom Coverdale, is practically a prayer in my household. And I don't even want to speak of Khalid El-Amin or Big Baby Davis.

Witnessing first-hand the Butler title game, though, has taken some of that pain away. Slightly.

hurleyfor3
07-27-2010, 06:44 PM
That was Virginia.

OK, I knew it was someone who was good at the time, and I do think the team got whipped by Louisville that year too.

CEF1959
07-27-2010, 07:33 PM
February 24, 1979: #6 Duke 47, #4 North Carolina 40

This was also the game in which the term "air ball" was invented, as the Cameron Crazies started chanting it after a North Carolina miss.
Held UNC to ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO in the first half..

I was at that game, and I agree it was a classic. Maybe THE most memorable ever. But I don't think the term "air ball" was invented there. That chant predated that game.

pfrduke
07-27-2010, 07:36 PM
I was at that game, and I agree it was a classic. Maybe THE most memorable ever. But I don't think the term "air ball" was invented there. That chant predated that game.

Again, difference between term and chant. The legend goes that the chant, in its long cadence ("aaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiirbaalllllllllll, aaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiirbaalllllllllll"), first appeared during that game. Could be apocryphal, but that's been the story as long as I've heard it.

CEF1959
07-27-2010, 07:45 PM
I think we were chanting that before then. It didn't seem novel at the time. If we were inventing something new, I'd remember that.

Waynne
07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
2001 NC game vs. Arizona, featuring Richard Jefferson, Gilbert Arenas, and Tony Wood. In the second half Mike Dunleavy hits two quick 3s. Shane then makes one of the best defensive plays I've ever seen, blocking Arenas as he drove to the basket and flipping the ball behind his back into play as he and the ball were going out of bounds. Duke whips the ball downcourt and Mike hits another 3. All this transpires in about 90 seconds and give us 9 consecutive points. We end up winning by 10.

I still watch the tape of this game when I need a rush of adrenaline.

mapei
07-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I remember that defensive play vividly. Maybe my favorite Shane play of all time, which is saying a lot.

Cameron
07-27-2010, 10:24 PM
That '01 Arizona game also had Luke Walton. And I believe you meant Loren Woods, Waynne, and not Tony Wood. Woods, of course, started his career at Wake Forest.

Edit: My mistake, I switched the Wake-Arizona swap around the first time.

Waynne
07-28-2010, 12:42 PM
You are correct, Cameron, it was Loren Woods, who started off at Wake and transferred to Arizona.

Indoor66
07-28-2010, 12:53 PM
You are correct, Cameron, it was Loren Woods, who started off at Wake and transferred to Arizona.

Yeah, he was from the same St. Louis high school as Chris Carrawell, IRRC.

gep
07-29-2010, 01:04 AM
For me, the "gone in 54 seconds" game. We were already late to go out, and with Duke not playing good at all, down 10 with a minute left, I was just about ready to turn the TV off and go... then J hits a 3, then steals the ball for another 3... well, needless to say, we ended up very late. We just had to see what would happen, even if Duke lost. I can still see us standing right in front of the TV, in disbelief that Duke might just pull this one out... and we were not disappointed. So great to be a Duke fan at that moment.:cool:

deeejazzy
07-29-2010, 08:40 PM
I was in Cameron for the 2007 Clemson @ Duke Dave McClure buzzer beater. That was an awesome and super emotional game. Jon's pass across the court was perfect, and McClure was one of my favorites, especially since I went to school 2 blocks down from his Trinity Catholic. It was memorable, but not quite as memorable as the last Duke bball game I went to ;)

DevilWearsPrada
07-30-2010, 12:31 PM
I was in Cameron for the 2007 Clemson @ Duke Dave McClure buzzer beater. That was an awesome and super emotional game. Jon's pass across the court was perfect, and McClure was one of my favorites, especially since I went to school 2 blocks down from his Trinity Catholic. It was memorable, but not quite as memorable as the last Duke bball game I went to ;)

A great game and moment for Dave McClure!!! He did whatever he needed to for the team.

duke=legacy
09-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Since I only started watching Duke basketball a few years ago, my knowledge of some of the past teams isn't that great. I've seen the 91 and 92 championship games as well as the 01 ones. I'd like a list of which other games from Duke's history a Duke fan ought to watch, especially from teams that did not win the whole thing but were nevertheless great like 1999, etc. (could be NCAA games, could be ACC tournament games, could be vs UNC or just regular season games). Thanks.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Since I only started watching Duke basketball a few years ago, my knowledge of some of the past teams isn't that great. I've seen the 91 and 92 championship games as well as the 01 ones. I'd like a list of which other games from Duke's history a Duke fan ought to watch, especially from teams that did not win the whole thing but were nevertheless great like 1999, etc. (could be NCAA games, could be ACC tournament games, could be vs UNC or just regular season games). Thanks.

Try a search on goduke.com. There have been some great articles on this very subject over the years.

Stray Gator
09-05-2010, 11:24 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21870-What-are-some-of-the-most-memorable-Duke-games

I believe the linked thread is the most recent on this subject.

loran16
09-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Miracle Minute (Duke-Maryland I in 2001).

DevilHorns
09-06-2010, 12:07 AM
41 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLQ_ULUMSY4) (I don't know if this fits the 'of all time' theme... but this for me is JJ being JJ, against the second best team in the nation at the time nonetheless.)

UrinalCake
09-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Without question the best game I ever attended was vs. UNC in Cameron in 1998. At the time UNC had been dominating us for several years, to the extent that it seemed we would never be able to catch up to them (sound familiar?) Brand, Battier & company made up a banner class that was supposed to return us to glory, but Brand broke his foot a few weeks in and was though to be lost for the season. Miraculously he was able to return for this game, thanks to an experimental electro-simulation device he had worn on his foot (as a biomedical engineering student, it gave me extra satisfaction knowing that Duke's medical technology experts contributed to this win).

So we were down by like 18 with ten minutes to go when we started dumping the ball to Brand in the paint every single time, and UNC just couldn't stop him. By the time we took the lead the roof was about to explode. One of the greatest games ever, and a turning point in the Duke-UNC rivalry at the time.

duke=legacy
09-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks guys. Keep the suggestions coming.

striker219
09-06-2010, 01:52 AM
I couldn't even begin to name an all time best, but one of my favorites was March 4, 2001 at UNC. They had beaten us at home a month earlier, and we were coming off of a game where not only did we lose at home to Maryland but we also lost Carlos Boozer to a broken foot. We had gone from top of the world, one of the favorites to win the whole thing, to being written off by all of the "experts" in a single evening. And now we had to go into Chapel Hill to play a top 5 ranked team. Things were looking a little grim, right up until tip-off...

“I’ll never forget the look on Brendon Haywood’s face when Casey stepped into the jumpball circle,” Shane Battier later told writer Donald Phillips. “He got this sarcastic smile on his face and started shaking his head. He was thinking, ‘You’re starting this guy?’ I looked over at Mike [Dunleavy] and we smiled at each other. We were thinking, ‘Haywood, you don’t know what’s coming. You don’t know.’”

Edouble
09-06-2010, 03:22 AM
Without question the best game I ever attended was vs. UNC in Cameron in 1998. At the time UNC had been dominating us for several years, to the extent that it seemed we would never be able to catch up to them (sound familiar?) Brand, Battier & company made up a banner class that was supposed to return us to glory, but Brand broke his foot a few weeks in and was though to be lost for the season. Miraculously he was able to return for this game, thanks to an experimental electro-simulation device he had worn on his foot (as a biomedical engineering student, it gave me extra satisfaction knowing that Duke's medical technology experts contributed to this win).

So we were down by like 18 with ten minutes to go when we started dumping the ball to Brand in the paint every single time, and UNC just couldn't stop him. By the time we took the lead the roof was about to explode. One of the greatest games ever, and a turning point in the Duke-UNC rivalry at the time.

I was there too. The best game I've ever been to as well. Unbelievable.

Meckler
09-06-2010, 09:53 AM
That DUKE-UNC game in 1998 was probably the best game that I DIDN'T see. Was on vacation in San Francisco with my wife and couldn't get to a tv. Kept calling home to find out what the score was. Still love seeing clips of the final 20 secs of that game and Wojo's celebratory hug with Coach K.

BEST games I've been to in person:

March 1990, Meadowlands, East Regionals - UConn came off a last second miracle win against Clemson. They probably thought they were invincible at that point. I was directly behind the basket closest to the Duke bench. I remember being in a section of the stadium where a bunch of the Duke player's parents were sitting, including Bobby Hurley's Dad. With 2.6 secs to go, it was anxious in my section. Couldn't believe Laettner took a dribble with less than 3 secs to go. Clearly he knew what he was doing. I saw the ball go up but lost it as it went in front of the backboard as it headed down towards the basket. Game over! Massive celebration!! I think I hoisted up the guy sitting next to me and he had about 20 pounds on me.

January, 1988, Dean Dome -- Watched Duke get all of the typical North Carolina "breaks" towards the end of the game as they squeaked out a win against their arch-rivals.

December, 2005 -- Not sure what it is about the Meadowlands but Duke has played some of their best games there. Never saw a Duke player as "money" as Reddick was that game. Amazing game!

DukeDevilDeb
09-06-2010, 01:19 PM

I remember this game so vividly. It was Wojo's last game in Cameron, and he came out of the locker room at half time out for bear. He led a tenacious defense.. while Brand and Ro were pouring in points on the offensive end, Wojo was slapping the floor and getting it taken care of on the defensive end.

One of the best Duke basketball moments... we win that game and Wojo races across the floor and into Coach K's arms... Magic!

By the way, this is one of the few ticket stubs I've kept over my 25 years of watching at Cameron... it was that great!

hq2
09-06-2010, 08:29 PM
The '98 Carolina game was indeed a classic; it was close, and it ended about 4 years of UNC dominance. It was an incredible comeback, and a very emotional win. I still don't quite rank it with a similar game of 20 years before; in that Carolina game, Duke hadn't beaten 'em at home in seven years, during the height of the Deano four corner stall ball era. I've never heard people screaming that loud (or that mad) before or since, with every basket. I thought the roof of Cameron was going to come down. Two truly great (and similar) games.

micah75
09-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Perusing this thread today, I was thinking from the first post, the 1998 Duke/Unc game at Cameron. What a game! A Unc player trashtalking about "who is this Elton Brand", and then Wojo hugging Coach K after the game. And then an email from a fan in Australia to DBR telling how much he loved that game. Then at the end of this thread, folks were hyping this particular game, which I thought was *great*! Perhaps I should have just mentioned this as a comment to someone's post (which I did, to Duke devel deb), but I think this game is so significant that it deserves yet another public recognition. Brand's 2nd-half come-out party was simply huge, and gave us all goosebumps.

Another game perhaps worth mentioning... a non-conference game in '96, was vs UCLA, at Cameron. It was a blowout. In perspective, the previous year, when the Bruins won the NCAA championship, they blew out Duke at Pauly by 30 or so, and the fans were chanting "over-rated" over and over. And Dick Vitale was admonishing those fans, saying "be careful!" And sure enough, Duke walloped UCLA in Cameron the following year by a blowout. Okay... it wasn't a close game, it wasn't a conference game, not a tourney game. Still... it re-established Duke as a program to be feared and reckoned with. And hey... who doesn't love a blowout now and then, with 3 pointers falling and fast breaks running amok. I still have that game on a video cassette. Classic games don't always have to be buzzer-beaters. This blowout was simply huge, esp vs a top 10 team and previous National Champion.

Have a nice day, Tobey Bailey.