PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers vs. Michel Gbinije on ESPNU Monday Night 7 PM

airowe
07-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Good chance to check out our two highest ranked 2011 recruits in live action from the Disney AAU Super Showcase!

Osiagledknarf
07-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Is there anyway you can watch it online? I do not get ESPNU and I would like to this one.

Nrrrrvous
07-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Is there anyway you can watch it online? I do not get ESPNU and I would like to this one.

Doesn't look like their putting it on ESPN3. I would bet it'll be on JustinTV, unfortunately you'll probably have to wait til game time and then search.

ThePublisher
07-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Quincy Miller is rated higher than Gbinije, but he probably isn't coming to Duke. Hopefully so (this is inserted so I don't get in trouble for saying we wont get a commit).
Thanks for the heads up. Both of these guys are very fun to watch. Gbinije is understated and smooth, while Rivers is a 'pop this 3 in your face' type guy.

MisterRoddy
07-25-2010, 06:37 PM
It's amazing that they scheduled a different opponent just because Gilchrist wasn't playing. Can't wait for this one. Watching Mike and Austtin go at it should be a treat to watch. Hopefully, this won't be the last time we see those two on the court together.

soccerstud2210
07-25-2010, 06:59 PM
i think that was airowe's sly way of saying that duke is not in the running for QM 's services any longer :)

could be wrong and reading into things....

Quincy Miller is rated higher than Gbinije, but he probably isn't coming to Duke. Hopefully so (this is inserted so I don't get in trouble for saying we wont get a commit).
Thanks for the heads up. Both of these guys are very fun to watch. Gbinije is understated and smooth, while Rivers is a 'pop this 3 in your face' type guy.

rhcpflea99
07-26-2010, 07:15 PM
JJ and Collins at the game

Cameron
07-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Sweet stroke, baby.

CDu
07-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Man, high school basketball is hard to watch. Some pretty bad shooting on display. I missed the first half, but Gbinije hasn't looked too hot in the 3rd quarter. Rivers hit a three and had a nice drive but missed the floater. It's been rough to watch, though.

Osiagledknarf
07-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Does anyone have a stat line from Gbinje in this game?

MisterRoddy
07-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Does anyone have a stat line from Gbinje in this game?

I know he had 9 points...all in the first half, and missed the potential game tying three at the buzzer.

Both Gbinije and Rivers had relatively off nights but I suspect Gbinije was dealing with some sort of an injury seeing as he wasn't in for half of the fourth quarter over two separate occasions. Rivers picked it up in the end with driving to the bucket and creating for his teammates.

CDu
07-26-2010, 08:55 PM
I know he had 9 points...all in the first half, and missed the potential game tying three at the buzzer.

Both Gbinije and Rivers had relatively off nights but I suspect Gbinije was dealing with some sort of an injury seeing as he wasn't in for half of the fourth quarter over two separate occasions. Rivers picked it up in the end with driving to the bucket and creating for his teammates.

Yeah, Gbinije just looked nonexistent in the second half. He sat some in the third and fourth quarters, and looked extremely hesitant. Rivers didn't look terribly great either. He had a pretty mediocre shooting night (3-10 from 3pt range, 8-21 overall, 4-7 from the foul line). It was not really an impressive display. It looked a lot like high school basketball. ;)

roywhite
07-26-2010, 08:58 PM

I caught just the second half. It was bad basketball in general, and a really awful performance by Team Takeover. I believe they scored 44 points in the first half, and had just 11 in the second half near the end of the game (not exactly sure what they ended up with, but it was 11 or not much more).

Cramps? Injuries?

At any rate, it was hard to take much from this game. Rivers is a dangerous scorer, but I guess we knew that already.

Greg_Newton
07-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Team Takeover had already played their tournament game this afternoon - this was the second game of a doubleheader for them (I think both teams did, if I'm not mistaken). What's more, it was a meaningless TV exhibition with no bearing on the tournament. I'm sure they were just drained.

Bluedevil114
07-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Austin played two hours before this game. Austin was just a little off. His shots were coming up just short but he was killing kids on his crossover and his change of speed is ridiculous. Austin mentioned Coach K had helped him focus on defense with the USA team. Put defense on his mind. He mentioned this in his post game interview.

MisterRoddy
07-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Austin played two hours before this game. Austin was just a little off. His shots were coming up just short but he was killing kids on his crossover and his change of speed is ridiculous. Austin mentioned Coach K had helped him focus on defense with the USA team. Put defense on his mind. He mentioned this in his post game interview.

Saw the interview too, he actually said it was Coach Capel, not K.

MisterRoddy
07-26-2010, 09:34 PM
I caught just the second half. It was bad basketball in general, and a really awful performance by Team Takeover. I believe they scored 44 points in the first half, and had just 11 in the second half near the end of the game (not exactly sure what they ended up with, but it was 11 or not much more).

Cramps? Injuries?

At any rate, it was hard to take much from this game. Rivers is a dangerous scorer, but I guess we knew that already.

Yes, as some have said, both teams played earlier on contributing to the fact that their were some injuries and overall bad play. I have a feeling Team Takeover didn't perform all that well in the second half because Gbinije was out for much of it.

It was definitely not something for ESPN Classic and I doubt it will stay on my DVR for that long.

dukeblue1206
07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
I watched the whole thing while the fiancee was doing our wedding planning..ha...I watched Gbinije during the time-outs and while he was sitting on the bench and he was for sure dealing with some cramps or something because he kept stretching out his legs while he was out. At least that is what it looked like on tv. And the ref had good defense on that last second shot by Gbinije when he got in the way and bumped into him.

jipops
07-26-2010, 11:47 PM
I actually liked what I saw from Gbinije. He has a nice stroke and a purpose on the defensive end. He didn't try to force too many things and that seems to be his personality on the floor. Should be an excellent team guy. This kid will become a major impact player in his time at Duke.

mcdukie
07-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Gbinije looked very good the last time Takeover was on TV, as a matter of fact he was the player of the game. He is a player for sure and will fit in very well at Duke. Rivers takes a lot of shots, kind of like Tyreke Evans did in high school, but he took over in the 4th quarter and looked very impressive.

gumbomoop
07-27-2010, 08:04 AM
I actually liked what I saw from Gbinije. He has a nice stroke and a purpose on the defensive end. He didn't try to force too many things and that seems to be his personality on the floor. Should be an excellent team guy. This kid will become a major impact player in his time at Duke.

Agree. For those of you who missed the first half, Gbinije was the most impressive player in the first quarter: most energy, variety to his game, shoot, run-floor, follow up, spacing, passing. Not flashy in any of these areas, but smooth, smart. As commentators noted, he is an exemplar of the "He lets the game come to him" approach. His team was quite impressive in first half, scoring 44.

Second half? Wow, maybe his team scored only 2 points in 3d quarter. Given that Gbinije is his team's go-to guy, it did appear he was cramping or something. Near game's end, he was finally back in and made nice dish, but teammate couldn't finish.

Gbinije is solid.

airowe
07-27-2010, 08:55 AM
That game last night was the 3rd game of the day for both of those teams. Austin had played just 2 hours prior and Gbinije had played 3 hours prior. I have a feeling tonight's Austin Rivers vs Brad Beal matchup will be higher quality basketball (although it will still be AAU.)

CDu
07-27-2010, 09:07 AM
That game last night was the 3rd game of the day for both of those teams. Austin had played just 2 hours prior and Gbinije had played 3 hours prior. I have a feeling tonight's Austin Rivers vs Brad Beal matchup will be higher quality basketball (although it will still be AAU.)

Fatigue would certainly explain some of the goings-on out there. The quality of play was really atrocious. Rivers didn't look impressive at all in the second half, and Gbinije didn't do anything at all in the second half. Being completely spent would explain it.

Had I known that it would be their third game of the day, I probably wouldn't have watched last night.