PDA

View Full Version : Dukies at the World Lax Championships

burnspbesq
07-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Major props to the five former Duke lacrosse players who competed at the 2010 FIL World Championships.

Ned Crotty scored the tying and winning goals for the USA as they defeated Canada, 12-10, in the final of the 2010 FIL World Championships. Matt Zash and Kevin Cassese also played major roles in the US victory.

Zack Greer scored two goals for Canada in the final. He was hampered by food poisoning.

And Josh Coveleski, who played for Poland, was the tournament's leading scorer with 35 goals and eight assists. Poland finished 14th in the 29-team tournament.

Well done, gentlemen. We're proud of you.

chrishoke
07-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Crotty's winning goal was a remarkable lunging effort after contact - beautiful.

4decadedukie
07-24-2010, 09:51 PM
In addition to being a GREAT sport, lacrosse is also a small, somewhat inwardly-focused society, less so than it was some decades ago (when it was almost entirely centered in Long Island, the Baltimore area and the Mohawk Valley of upstate New York), but nevertheless lacrosse remains a far more-closed athletic community than (for example) football, basketball or baseball. Much of this, I suspect, results from the comparatively few number of secondary schools that compete in – and develop talented players for – lacrosse (again contrasted the “major sports”). This is certainly less true now than it was in the 1960s or 1970s, however, it is still fundamentally accurate. Those coaches, players and their families, fans and LAX alumni, obviously, become closely knit and their associations and friendships expand from the high school level to intercollegiate lacrosse (Divisions I, II, and III). To illustrate the community’s relatively small nature, one probably does not have go much further than the fact that the ACC has, during the last years, been the clearly dominate Division I men’s lacrosse conference, yet only four ACC universities compete (Duke, UVA, Maryland and UNC-CH).

This international victory will be important throughout that small, closely integrated lacrosse community; Duke’s stellar role will further enhanced our stature and recruiting. It is WONDERFUL news!

Devilsfan
07-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Mike Pressler was the world champs' coach. Nice honor. Nice job Mike.

4decadedukie
07-25-2010, 07:39 AM

ABSOLUTELY - and as far as I am concerned, an honored member of our Duke family!

burnspbesq
07-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Crotty's winning goal was a remarkable lunging effort after contact - beautiful.

The tying goal was pretty special, also - a 10-yarder on the run from a bad angle that just tucked inside the far post.

DukeLacrosse
07-27-2010, 11:31 AM
And, Joe Alberici, an Assistant Coach for Team USA, was a Duke Assistant Coach under Mike Pressler for nine years before assuming the Head Coach's position at the USMA at West Point. That makes seven former Duke laxers who participated in the FIL World games.

MCFinARL
07-27-2010, 12:57 PM
In addition to being a GREAT sport, lacrosse is also a small, somewhat inwardly-focused society, less so than it was some decades ago (when it was almost entirely centered in Long Island, the Baltimore area and the Mohawk Valley of upstate New York), but nevertheless lacrosse remains a far more-closed athletic community than (for example) football, basketball or baseball. Much of this, I suspect, results from the comparatively few number of secondary schools that compete in – and develop talented players for – lacrosse (again contrasted the “major sports”). This is certainly less true now than it was in the 1960s or 1970s, however, it is still fundamentally accurate. Those coaches, players and their families, fans and LAX alumni, obviously, become closely knit and their associations and friendships expand from the high school level to intercollegiate lacrosse (Divisions I, II, and III). To illustrate the community’s relatively small nature, one probably does not have go much further than the fact that the ACC has, during the last years, been the clearly dominate Division I men’s lacrosse conference, yet only four ACC universities compete (Duke, UVA, Maryland and UNC-CH).

This international victory will be important throughout that small, closely integrated lacrosse community; Duke’s stellar role will further enhanced our stature and recruiting. It is WONDERFUL news!

To give you an idea just how small and closely integrated a community it is, the sports section of the Washington Post did not even have a score of the championship game the next day, even though the sport is very popular here at the youth and high school level, and moderately popular at the college level. The Post did cover the selection of a new coach for the Brazil soccer team, a recent start by a pitcher for the Nationals' AA club in Harrisburg, PA, and the results of golf tournaments at several local country clubs.