PDA

View Full Version : Greg Paulus - Navy Assistant Basketball Coach

AceDukie77
07-24-2010, 03:54 PM
I just attended a function in the Syracuse area where I met Dave Ryan, currently a broadcaster for the CBS College Sports Network. He is a Syracuse grad and teaches at the Newhouse School of Public Communications where Greg Paulus was one of his students this past year. He told me that Greg is in the running to become one of the Assistant Basketball Coaches at the Naval Academy! I asked Dave if I could pass that information on and he assurred me that I could, apparently Greg is a finalist for one of the coaching positions. I'm sure Greg would be a great fit at the Naval Academy and it would be a great place to begin his coaching career. I'll bet he would get a lot of good natured ribbing from Coach K about his "choice" of academies!

On another note, Dave told me he does play-by-play for all the Army home football games and he broadcast the Duke win last year that I attended at West Point. He said he had never seen in his career back-to-back interceptions for touchdowns like Leon Wright from Duke did on consecutive possessions in the 4th quarter. Pretty memorable!

monkey
07-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Ok - maybe I missed it but what happened with his NFL workouts?

CameronBornAndBred
07-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Ok - maybe I missed it but what happened with his NFL workouts?

Nothing for Greg.
That's cool about the Navy possibility, but if not there I'm sure he'll get a look from others. If he actually does get it, he would have to be one of the youngest coaches at any school. Is that common, or are more systems like K has setup where you start on the fringes before moving to the bench?
And yes, those two plays were AWESOME!

4decadedukie
07-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Greg would be an outstanding fit with the USNA and its athletic programs, especially in basketball (obviously). His demonstrated attitude, leadership, tenacity and team-focused selflessness are precisely what Navy seeks to instill in Midshipmen, through intercollegiate athletics as well as the remainder of the program.

DevilWearsPrada
07-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Any updates? Was hoping Greg would get a Football gig.

CEF1959
07-27-2010, 01:17 PM
I like the idea of an assistant coaching job at Navy better than the idea of a short pro football career that would involve a lot of pine. Might as well get on the true career path early.

formerdukeathlete
07-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Any updates? Was hoping Greg would get a Football gig.

last thing I read, a few days ago, was that Greg was in the Saints camp, but without a contract at this point.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=185&f=2826&t=6141480

Exiled_Devil
07-27-2010, 06:05 PM
I like the idea of an assistant coaching job at Navy better than the idea of a short pro football career that would involve a lot of pine. Might as well get on the true career path early.

But what's the rookie minimum in the NFL? (google says $~90,000 on the practice squad and $285,000 if you actually suit up)

A couple of years with those salaries just out of school can provide a nice financial cushion as you work your way up the coaching ranks.

CEF1959
07-27-2010, 06:09 PM
It's a mistake to look at salaries at the beginning of your career. The key is looking at what salaries will be available to you at the end of your career. And the earlier you start, the more career-years you have. That's why a college player thinking about coming out to the NBA shouldn't look at the salary he'll make at 19 years old; it's the last couple years that he adds to his earning potential if he comes out at 19 as opposed to 21. A life's earnings, cumulated, are much greater if you start earlier, because the big money comes at the end.

tbyers11
08-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Per Jeff Goodman at Foxsports (http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/08/02/paulus_joins_coaching_ranks;_10_college_guys_heade d_to_nyc)

One reason for me to follow Patriot League basketball a little more closely this year. Best of luck to Greg.

CameronBornAndBred
08-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Per Jeff Goodman at Foxsports (http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/08/02/paulus_joins_coaching_ranks;_10_college_guys_heade d_to_nyc)

One reason for me to follow Patriot League basketball a little more closely this year. Best of luck to Greg.
Awesome..congrats to Greg and best of luck in his career. I hope one day it leads back to the bench in Cameron.

BD80
08-02-2010, 02:39 PM

Seriously cool news. I like the thought of a lot of our guys out there coaching. Partly selfishly, because that gives Duke multiple Duke guys with coaching experience to help the program down the road. Partly because I think the sport will be better for having guys Coach K coached teaching others.

I can see Greg joining a staff with Wojo or Collins when their number is called, or filling in for a vacancy on the Duke bench upon their leaving.

4decadedukie
08-02-2010, 02:39 PM
GREAT news, both for Greg and for the USNA.

CDu
08-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Good for Paulus. Too bad football didn't work out, though that appeared to be a long shot anyway. I assume he sees himself as a head coach in 15-20 years, so hopefully this is just the first step up the coaching ladder.

ArkieDukie
08-02-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm so happy for GP. One of my favorite Duke players - an outstanding person. Would love to see him on the Duke coaching staff someday.

elvis14
08-02-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm happy for Greg. When people would question him coming to Duke to play basketball instead of playing football, it was often said that Greg did the right thing because his stated long term goal was to be a basketball coach. Looks like his plan is starting to work out just fine.

gep
08-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Very awesome... very cool for Greg. I've been a Greg supporter from his first game at Duke to his last, especially his senior season... then through his football season at Syracuse. I also thought NFL was a long-shot, but who knows... if he's the 3rd string QB, doesn't those guys call in plays, etc? (of course, not actually call the plays)... and he's a real good "character guy". I'm sure Navy will really enjoy having Greg on their bench. Good Luck Greg!!!

JEA
08-03-2010, 10:07 AM
As an Annapolitan, I say: welcome!

I saw a few Navy games last year, in person and on TV, and I certainly saw some potential. They are losing their leading scorer, Chris Harris, who was all-Patriot league (http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030110aab.html) this past season. They'll have a junior guard, Jordan Sugars, who was about a 15-ppg scorer last season as a soph, who looked like someone to keep an eye on when I saw them play. Also, a 7-man freshman class (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/recruiting/2010/07/qa_with_navy_coach_billy_lange_1.html). Anyway, I'm sure others follow the team more closely, but just based on what I've seen, I'm optimistic that Greg will have a chance to really help the team improve over the next few seasons.

Billy Lange, the head coach, coached under Jay Wright at Villanova.

One thing I'll be very curious to hear once the season starts: what Mr. Feinstein will have to say on this topic...

GrayHare
08-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Any word on how Coach K -- a loyal Army graduate -- feels about this?

DevilWearsPrada
08-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Congrats to Greg on securing a coaching position, and getting a REAL JOB in this recession. Hopefully, down the road, Coach Paulus will be on the Duke bench again, but coaching and leading the team. He has a bright future ahead of him.

Bob Green
08-03-2010, 02:56 PM
The USS Paulus picture currently on the front page is actually the USS Blue Ridge a ship I served aboard from September 1991 until December 1994. The ship is the 7th Fleet Flagship homeported in Yokosuka, Japan. I know my comments add nothing to the conversation, however, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to talk about one of the ships I served aboard.

A quick oh by the way: I was at sea aboard the Blue Ridge listening to the game on the radio when Laettner made "the shot."

sagegrouse
08-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Any word on how Coach K -- a loyal Army graduate -- feels about this?

I would bet he was influential in persuading Coach Lange at Navy that Greg was well-suited to coach at and recruit for a service academy.

BTW this is an amazing coup for Greg. There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, standing in line for any D-1 assistant job. And Greg was able to land it just one year out of Duke. We'll see what happens next, but I bet K, Boeheim, and other coaches will keep their eyes on Greg.

sagegrouse

4decadedukie
08-03-2010, 07:16 PM
I heartily agree, sage. Additionally, I know several retired three- and four-star Admirals who are extremely influential at Navy (Board of Visitors, Alumni and Athletic Associations' leadership, and so forth). Two of this group have strongly suggested that Greg may -- sooner rather than later -- be a prime candidate for the Head Coaching job.

greybeard
08-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Couldn't think of a better coaching opportunity for Paulus. I am sure that he brought considerable leadership skills to Duke, and left with considerably more.

Being emersed in life at the Academy, and coaching players who themselves are being trained 24/7 to be leaders of the highest order, will, one would hope, provide a guy like Greg with the experience of a lifetime. Hopefully, living and perhaps studying with some of the best trainers in leadership that the nation has to offer, will enrich Greg in ways that an outsider could not begin to imagine.

CDu
08-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Couldn't think of a better coaching opportunity for Paulus. I am sure that he brought considerable leadership skills to Duke, and left with considerably more.

Being emersed in life at the Academy, and coaching players who themselves are being trained 24/7 to be leaders of the highest order, will, one would hope, provide a guy like Greg with the experience of a lifetime. Hopefully, living and perhaps studying with some of the best trainers in leadership that the nation has to offer, will enrich Greg in ways that an outsider could not begin to imagine.

Yeah, it's a very good opportunity for Paulus to get his feet wet in the coaching world and hopefully learn some things as well.

airowe
08-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Listen to Greg online here at 9:40: http://wnst.net/wordpress/

DevilWearsPrada
08-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Awesome that Greg has a new career as a Div 1 asst coach. We saw him several times in Indy at the Final 4, and he had on a suit everyday. He was interviewing and searching for a job. Great time to network, since all the coachs are there for meetings. Again, congratulations to Greg, for 4 years at Duke playing basketball, and giving up a football career. Best at Navy........ we will be following your success!

FireOgilvie
11-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I was just watching the Texas/Navy game on ESPNU and saw Paulus.

They just talked about him and the coaches said they were going to shave his head and put him in if they are losing.

FireOgilvie
11-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Here are some pictures: