PDA

View Full Version : Bob Huggins Breaks Ribs in LV

sagegrouse
07-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Fall in hotel room (http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_15593748)on a recruiting trip.

sagegrouse

Indoor66
07-24-2010, 10:58 AM
That is really wierd. I wonder what happened. Too many quaffs of the suds?

RoyalBlue08
07-24-2010, 11:19 AM
I've fallen down and hurt myself a few times in Vegas too......there is always a story to go with it. There is never a story you can tell the National Media however, lol.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-24-2010, 04:36 PM
I've fallen down and hurt myself a few times in Vegas too......there is always a story to go with it. There is never a story you can tell the National Media however, lol.
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif

4decadedukie
07-24-2010, 05:01 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_sp_co_ne/bkc_huggins_hospitalized

From personal experience, I can assure you that four broken ribs is literally "not laughing matter."

gep
07-25-2010, 12:12 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100724/ap_on_sp_co_ne/bkc_huggins_hospitalized

From personal experience, I can assure you that four broken ribs is literally "not laughing matter."

Fortunately (for me), I haven't experienced broken bones of any kind... seems to me that to break a rib takes a pretty large force... and to break 4 ribs... in a hotel room? I would think that to break 4 ribs, you've gotta *run* pretty hard into a wall, door, etc. Can you just "trip" and fall in a hotel room and break ribs? If so, I've gotta really be careful... seriously... with my "advanced" age, who knows...

Just saw this on ESPN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5406412

Huggins was in his hotel room packing to leave for the airport Friday when he tripped on something on the floor and slammed into a coffee table, the source said.

I guess I've gotta be careful myself...

Devilsfan
07-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Nice to see he's ok.

oldnavy
07-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Well, so much for what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Indoor66
07-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Well, so much for what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Yea, including, in this instance, Huggie.

CDu
07-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Fortunately (for me), I haven't experienced broken bones of any kind... seems to me that to break a rib takes a pretty large force... and to break 4 ribs... in a hotel room? I would think that to break 4 ribs, you've gotta *run* pretty hard into a wall, door, etc. Can you just "trip" and fall in a hotel room and break ribs? If so, I've gotta really be careful... seriously... with my "advanced" age, who knows...

Just saw this on ESPN...

Huggins was in his hotel room packing to leave for the airport Friday when he tripped on something on the floor and slammed into a coffee table, the source said.

I was going to say that a fall in the shower and landing on the bathub wall could do it. The coffee table thing sounds a little more dubious, but I guess possible. Sorry for him that he broke his ribs. That seems unpleasant.

RelativeWays
07-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Broken ribs make even breathing painful, its an ache that only a kidney stone knows. I feel bad for Huggy Bear.

I am, however, glad we won the FF game with WVU, not just for the NCAA championship, but I don;t have to hear the Duke curse nonsense.

sagegrouse
07-25-2010, 11:38 AM
I was going to say that a fall in the shower and landing on the bathub wall could do it. The coffee table thing sounds a little more dubious, but I guess possible. Sorry for him that he broke his ribs. That seems unpleasant.

As an expert in all things klutzy, let me offer advice:

1. Don't have your suitcase open unless it is on a stand or bed.
2. If you are packing, make sure the lights are on.

An obvious scenario is that he was stepping across an open suitcase; tripped; lunged forward and hit the coffee table before he could catch himself. A second scenario is that he was walking around in the dark in his hotel room and tripped over something.

But since he was in Las Vegas, no one will believe any of these stories. ;) :p

sagegrouse

4decadedukie
07-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Huggins' injury was painful and/or severe enough that he was hospitalized for at least Friday night (as reported by the Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2010-07-24/west-virginia-coach-bob-huggins-hospitalized-after-fall): http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2010-07-24/west-virginia-coach-bob-huggins-hospitalized-after-fall)

mgtr
07-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Just saw this on ESPN...

As with you, I have never broken any bones. But, maybe 20 years in a moment of pure klutz, I slipped and fell about 5-6 feet from a ladder. No problem, but my wife (has to be her fault!) had a low hard stool there, and I hit that with my side. I knew instantly that I had cracked a couple of ribs. For the next ten days I didn't laugh and fortunately didn't cough and only sneezed once (that had me on my knees and tears in my eyes). I wouldn't wish that on anybody, not even Huggie or Cal. No fun.

4decadedukie
07-25-2010, 08:37 PM
ESPN is currently (Sunday) reporting that Huggins remains hospitalized, and expected to be discharged after several more days in the hospital "for observation."

CameronBornAndBred
07-25-2010, 09:52 PM
ESPN is currently (Sunday) reporting that Huggins remains hospitalized, and expected to be discharged after several more days in the hospital "for observation."

For four broken ribs? No...he got the snot beaten out of him by somebody.

jdj4duke
07-26-2010, 10:16 AM
It's actually pretty easy to break a rib by landing on an edged surface like a table. I once stumbled in the garage and put my hand out to catch myself against a car window that turned out to be down. Landed on the top edge of the window frame from a distance of about 2 feet and broke two ribs.

Landing on a table edge from a standing position could have busted him up pretty nicely. As pointed out, not only are these injuries incredibly painful, but they take forever to heal and there is nothing at all that can be done to help them. The additional risk with cracked or broken ribs is damage or puncture to the lungs.

At the very least Hugs will be hurtin'. I wonder if Da' Sean came out and cradled Hugs l'il punkin' head.

DevilWearsPrada
07-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Hope he is doing better. I have had bruised ribs, and that hurt alot. I feel on wet leaves outside the house, and broke my shoulder in several places. Freak accidents just happen. And are very painful.

Reddevil
07-26-2010, 11:19 AM
We'll never know what happened, but I'm guessing Tyson was in his room listening to "In the Air Tonight".

CEF1959
07-26-2010, 12:59 PM
As an expert in all things klutzy, let me offer advice:

1. Don't have your suitcase open unless it is on a stand or bed.
2. If you are packing, make sure the lights are on.

3. Don't pound a bunch of pre-flight bloody marys until you've packed your suitcase.

Sorry, but Hugs has a history.....

oldnavy
07-27-2010, 07:26 AM
For four broken ribs? No...he got the snot beaten out of him by somebody.

I have to agree. It is very strange to hold someone in the hospital for observation for just some broken ribs. Now if he punctured a lung or something, maybe, but for a broken rib, highly unusual. Broken ribs by themselves are not life threatening. They hurt like crazy, but no one has ever died from pain. Maybe he hit is head as well during the fall? There has to be more to this story if he is still in the hospital. In today's insurance dominate medical system you are out of the hospital in about two days after a lung transplant!! (just kidding - sort of).

jdj4duke
07-27-2010, 09:02 AM
I have to agree. It is very strange to hold someone in the hospital for observation for just some broken ribs. Now if he punctured a lung or something, maybe, but for a broken rib, highly unusual. Broken ribs by themselves are not life threatening. They hurt like crazy, but no one has ever died from pain. Maybe he hit is head as well during the fall? There has to be more to this story if he is still in the hospital. In today's insurance dominate medical system you are out of the hospital in about two days after a lung transplant!! (just kidding - sort of).

Really could depend on how badly they are broken, and if they are relatively stable or not. The father of a friend of mine was, way back before seat belts or airbags, in what was really a very minor traffic accident. He got out of the car, inspected the damage and all that, and went through all the chat with the police etc etc. No visible injuries at all except for his complaint that he hit the steering wheel and apparently broke or cracked a rib. The guy went home, watched TV, and about 4 hours later died when the rib let go and punctured a lung. So, I guess if they suspect that these are bad breaks, or could become worse, they would want to monitor him.

Big Pappa
07-27-2010, 12:02 PM
ESPN just reported that Bob Huggins has 7 broken ribs instead of the previously reported 4.

greybeard
07-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Not a bad idea to take some falling training for those of us getting on in years, especially if you are a large person. I should think that martial artists can be approached at where you work out or at a local club and could work with you on it. It's something I've worked on a bit in my training, and reading this, will follow my own advice and find someone who is equiped to teach how to roll into falls and influence direction of falls in the process. Couldn't hurt.

Merlindevildog91
07-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Wonder why they would originally report 4 ribs, or did they only know 4 ribs were broken at first? There's obviously a lot more to the story than we know. Not that it's necessarily our business, but Huggins is a public figure due to his coaching at a major university and injuries like this make news, so it would seem that the best course would be to tell basically exactly what went on and then let things blow over.

I can't imagine MY insurance paying for an extended hospital stay for broken ribs. I can't even imagine them paying for ANY hospital stay for broken ribs, absent a punctured lung or some other injury. Of course, I don't make the kind of money Huggins does, so maybe insurance is not involved.

CEF1959
07-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Something about this story just isn't right. I guess we'll learn more later. But the current narrative about falling into a table while packing just doesn't make sense without a HUGE alcohol overlay. Will Bob come clean? He doesn't have that history, so expect to be forced to piece together tidbits from various sources, all spun by Bob's handlers to protect him from another embarrassing firing for personal indiscretions.

oldnavy
07-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Really could depend on how badly they are broken, and if they are relatively stable or not. The father of a friend of mine was, way back before seat belts or airbags, in what was really a very minor traffic accident. He got out of the car, inspected the damage and all that, and went through all the chat with the police etc etc. No visible injuries at all except for his complaint that he hit the steering wheel and apparently broke or cracked a rib. The guy went home, watched TV, and about 4 hours later died when the rib let go and punctured a lung. So, I guess if they suspect that these are bad breaks, or could become worse, they would want to monitor him.

Doubtful. With an MRI the docs know exactly how bad the breaks are. There would be nothing gained by simply monitoring him. Besides, hospitals are not healthy places. Too many bad things can happen and so you do not want to hold folks in there just to watch them. You want to get out of them as fast as possible. Now he may need surgery to reset a displaced fracture, or maybe he cannot breath well enough on his own to get a decent O2 sat and needs O2, or he collapsed a lung, or has a PE, or any number of things in addition to a cracked rib(s). But, you can bet that he is not just being held simply due to broken ribs. There is more to this story.

monkey
07-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Nickname to change from "Huggy Bear" to "Don't Hug Me?"

captmojo
07-28-2010, 07:08 AM
I think he tripped
Over his lip
While yelling at refs
For not calling fouls
That didn't exist

gep
07-29-2010, 01:22 AM
Something about this story just isn't right. I guess we'll learn more later. But the current narrative about falling into a table while packing just doesn't make sense without a HUGE alcohol overlay. Will Bob come clean? He doesn't have that history, so expect to be forced to piece together tidbits from various sources, all spun by Bob's handlers to protect him from another embarrassing firing for personal indiscretions.

This ESPN article kinda bothers me...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5418070

Huggins, 56, was in his hotel room packing to leave for the airport Friday when he tripped on something on the floor and slammed into a coffee table.

Tripped on "something" on the floor? My goodness... can't someone recall what that "something" is/was? If me, I would definitely try to find out what that "something" was, so that I know what not to do the next time...:confused:

4decadedukie
07-29-2010, 06:34 AM
As a general update, for those who have not learned this earlier, Huggins was released from the hospital on Wednesday.

CEF1959
07-30-2010, 04:18 PM
The latest explanation for why Bob fell down and broke 7 ribs: Prescription meds.

So there you have it. He does not have a substance abuse problem. It's a medical issue that makes him fall down in public all the time. Oh, that DUI he got was unrelated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5423645

Poincaré
07-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Bob Huggins is 57 and not so healthy. I think all the theories put forth here have some basis in fact, but I don't think we have a way of knowing exactly what happened. In this case, we might as well forget about it until he falls again.

Merlindevildog91
07-30-2010, 04:25 PM
It seems to me that if I took a medication that made me lightheaded, I would talk to my doctor about alternatives before I significantly injured myself THREE TIMES. But that's just me....

-jk
07-30-2010, 05:15 PM
It seems to me that if I took a medication that made me lightheaded, I would talk to my doctor about alternatives before I significantly injured myself THREE TIMES. But that's just me....

Perhaps lightheadedness is the least bad side effect.

-jk

Merlindevildog91
07-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Perhaps lightheadedness is the least bad side effect.

-jk

If the lightheadedness caused him to hit his head once, to walk into a wall and get two black eyes, and now to break seven ribs, it would certainly behoove him to consult with his doctor, at the very least. It may be that he needs to take the medication with milk or juice (since this time he allegedly took the medicine on an empty stomach), or take other precautions, but it is past time for Huggins to have discussion with his medical providers.