PDA

View Full Version : New Mobile View

airowe
07-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Some of you may be happy to hear this, but I don't think I can be on here on my Blackberry anymore if this is what the layout will always be. The majority of time I come to this site is on my Blackberry and it is quite a few times a day. I can't say it will be the same now.

Can't see avatars so its really hard to tell who's posting, no signatures, little difference between quoted and non-quoted text (hard to tell where one stops and the other starts), no ads (I've been clicking the hell out of them since I started my blog and realized how this all works financially).

If the idea here is to make money on clicks and page impressions, you won't be getting many visits from me in the future. Sorry, I love this place but its really hard to read this site now.

-jk
07-22-2010, 04:08 PM
I use my blackberry a lot here, too. If you set the browser's emulation to "firefox", it will load the standard interface. You can edit a bookmark to include the emulation so you don't have to set it manually.

We did a lot of testing, and all the testers thought the mobile interface was more usable. Of course, we couldn't test it on everyone. Until we went live, of course.

-jk

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-22-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't typically use the boards from my Droid, but since you had an issue, I thought I'd check it out. The BBS shows up ok, but the fonts are incredibly small. I have pretty good eyes and I have issues reading it. Yes, I can pinch in and out, but that's a little annoying to to continually do. It's the same reason I'd same use the NYTimes app than go to the NYTimes.com website in my mobile browser, the text is better looking.

I'm sorry that you won't be posting as much.

-jk
07-22-2010, 04:22 PM
We've just had a report that iPads are treated as mobile. (We aren't blessed with one for testing. Anyone who wants me to test for it, feel free to give me one!)

I'm going to look into how to make it easier to choose between looks.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

-jk

moonpie23
07-22-2010, 04:28 PM
actually. the site looks pretty good on my iPhone. need to use the lands ape view or the font is pretty small, but it looks fine. not as cluttered as the old mobile.

good job guys.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-22-2010, 04:28 PM
I don't typically use the boards from my Droid, but since you had an issue, I thought I'd check it out. The BBS shows up ok, but the fonts are incredibly small. I have pretty good eyes and I have issues reading it. Yes, I can pinch in and out, but that's a little annoying to to continually do. It's the same reason I'd same use the NYTimes app than go to the NYTimes.com website in my mobile browser, the text is better looking.

I'm sorry that you won't be posting as much.
After signing back in, like I had to do here, reading the boards on my Droid is fine as long as I wear my reading glasses. Had that problem with the previous version too, so no change. I was surprised that I automatically had the mobile version show up - I don't think I had previously selected that.

Overall, so far I like this. Much prefer reading black text on a white background. Of course, I could probably have set it up that way before, but I'll keep it.

Hey! Where's the post count for the poster? I don't see it displayed with each post anymore.

DukieInKansas
07-22-2010, 04:53 PM
So how does it decide which post gets an ad?

Orange&BlackSheep
07-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Any time you change anything, people will not like it because they are not used to it (this is NOT directed at anyone!!). But I will say that the styling does kind of feel internet circa 1998. Kind of blocky and clunky. We will deal with it, but I think whoever skinned this layout probably was an engineer and not a designer.

CEF1959
07-22-2010, 05:07 PM
This doesn't work for me at all. Sorry. The only thing that looks useable are the adverts. I'd hate to think that was the point of this change.

MisterRoddy
07-22-2010, 05:10 PM
So how does it decide which post gets an ad?

I have a feeling it's the last post in the thread.

-jk
07-22-2010, 05:13 PM
The design came with the latest version of the software. The colors were an art major's choices, with the proper shade of blue the dominant selection.

-jk

-jk
07-22-2010, 05:14 PM
I have a feeling it's the last post in the thread.

First and last. We may revisit them though.

-jk

MisterRoddy
07-22-2010, 05:14 PM
The design came with the latest version of the software. The colors were an art major's choices, with the proper shade of blue the dominant selection.

-jk

Why'd you guys change from the old design? I thought the old one was pretty kick***

ChillinDuke
07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Some of you may be happy to hear this, but I don't think I can be on here on my Blackberry anymore if this is what the layout will always be. The majority of time I come to this site is on my Blackberry and it is quite a few times a day. I can't say it will be the same now.

Can't see avatars so its really hard to tell who's posting, no signatures, little difference between quoted and non-quoted text (hard to tell where one stops and the other starts), no ads (I've been clicking the hell out of them since I started my blog and realized how this all works financially).

If the idea here is to make money on clicks and page impressions, you won't be getting many visits from me in the future. Sorry, I love this place but its really hard to read this site now.

As a long-time lurker on this site and a die-hard Duke fan, I am very upset to hear this. Airowe, your input and insight is one of the most valuable and level-headed on this site.

As you used to be able to tell from my lack of posts (which I don't see anymore above each post), I find very few reasons to chime in and prefer to listen intently on the sidelines. However, this seemed important enough to me.

-jk
07-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Why'd you guys change from the old design? I thought the old one was pretty kick***

Too much of that light shade of blue. And we needed to upgrade the board software and had to rework it anyway.

-jk

FireOgilvie
07-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Wow, this is really terrible on my Droid. It's almost unusable. Why was this necessary? Is there any way to use the regular version? I can't navigate the site anymore. I feel like it's 2003. This is pretty much all I read outside of apps and now I don't think I can anymore.

-jk
07-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Wow, this is really terrible on my Droid. It's almost unusable. Why was this necessary? Is there any way to use the regular version? I can't navigate the site anymore. I feel like it's 2003. This is pretty much all I read outside of apps and now I don't think I can anymore.

We've said we'll make the mobile look optional. What are you seeing that makes navigation impossible?

-jk

cspan37421
07-22-2010, 05:54 PM
It appears that the number of pitchforks corresponds to how many posts you've made.

I don't like how those of us with one pitchfork (despite >1000 posts) are labeled as "is benched". That gives the impression that we've been spamming, trolling, or incurring infractions for bad behavior. Perhaps the mods can choose a designation that doesn't reflect so badly on those of us with just one pitchfork?

Another bit of feedback, without trying to rail against change, I find the new font/layout to be harder to read (harder on the eyes). Not sure why, but it seems that way at first glance.

FireOgilvie
07-22-2010, 05:55 PM
We've said we'll make the mobile look optional. What are you seeing that makes navigation impossible?

-jk

I never saw that it was optional... where is that? All of the buttons and fonts are now much smaller. I changed the font size in my settings but the links to navigate the site are all abbreviated and hard to press with my finger. Also, reading posts has become much more difficult due to layout (all the same looking with no avatars and less obvious divisions between quotes and replies). Just hitting the reply button is hard.

Taco
07-22-2010, 06:08 PM
It appears that the number of pitchforks corresponds to how many posts you've made.

I don't like how those of us with one pitchfork (despite >1000 posts) are labeled as "is benched". That gives the impression that we've been spamming, trolling, or incurring infractions for bad behavior. Perhaps the mods can choose a designation that doesn't reflect so badly on those of us with just one pitchfork?

Why are people so worried about their "e-status" with postcounts and pitchforks? Were people previously judging posts based on the poster's postcount? I kind of doubt it. Relax.

I never saw that it was optional... where is that?

He said "we'll make the mobile look optional," "we'll" being a contraction of "we will," indicating a future tense. It is not optional currently. It will be in the future. Although I do agree - a lot of buttons and such are on the small side in the current mobile look.

-jk
07-22-2010, 06:37 PM
I think I have it set to be optional. At the bottom of the page, there's a pull down with three styles - "default" (out of the box, not very interesting), "Blue" (the preferred desktop look), and "Mobile" (the stripped down version that some may like on their PDAs, or even more basic phones; or even IE6 when it blows up).

Please let me know if you have issues changing between them or anything else squirrelly shows up.

-jk

bluebutton
07-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Why are people so worried about their "e-status" with postcounts and pitchforks? Were people previously judging posts based on the poster's postcount? I kind of doubt it. Relax.

Never say never. I have been reading the boards since 99 or 00 and when I see a name I don't recognize and a particularly opinionated post, I definitely look at both their join date and their post count. Of course, no one can have a join date earlier than 2/07, but it's at least something. I like to know who the whipper-snappers are.

FireOgilvie
07-22-2010, 06:45 PM
I think I have it set to be optional. At the bottom of the page, there's a pull down with three styles - "default" (out of the box, not very interesting), "Blue" (the preferred desktop look), and "Mobile" (the stripped down version that some may like on their PDAs, or even more basic phones; or even IE6 when it blows up).

Please let me know if you have issues changing between them or anything else squirrelly shows up.

-jk

Great! It looks like the regular version now. That's a step in the right direction. I still like the old look better and found the text more readable, but this is better. Thank you.

-jk
07-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Never say never. I have been reading the boards since 99 or 00 and when I see a name I don't recognize and a particularly opinionated post, I definitely look at both their join date and their post count. Of course, no one can have a join date earlier than 2/07, but it's at least something. I like to know who the whipper-snappers are.

The join dates are still there, and you can still see post counts on a user's profile page.

-jk

Newton_14
07-22-2010, 07:36 PM
-jk Any chance of getting the post counts put back where they used to appear? Or is that one of those things that can't be done? I am in Firefox right now and I think I like this view slightly better than IE 8.

Other than the font size being narrowish and the post count not showing, overall I am cool with the new look. Will take some getting used to, but that will come in time.

weezie
07-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Wow. Pretty intense layout. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's a bit of a workout. Kind of wistful about almost making the ACC tournament team, though...
Go Devils!
Eh, and now we can rate the posts? I feel like a loser already.....

cspan37421
07-22-2010, 09:37 PM

You missed my point entirely; it wasn't about postcounts as a measure of status or credibility.

-jk
07-22-2010, 09:47 PM
You missed my point entirely; it wasn't about postcounts as a measure of status or credibility.

It'll take a few weeks before the pitchforks are meaningful.

-jk

Eckster
07-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread yet but new format is great on Safari on the iPad in landscape mode. Fonts a bit smaller in regular mode but still perfectly fine. Already have the site at the top of my sports bookmarks.

airowe
07-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Alright, now that -jk changed the mobile view to optional, it's much more readable. The mobile view on the Blackberry was terrible though. I can deal with it the way it is now, I'll get used to it I'm sure.

Sorry for the freakout and thanks for the kind words (whoever you were earlier in the thread ;)) and -jk and devil84 as well!

Stray Gator
07-22-2010, 10:39 PM
The new format looks terrific on my Droid.

-jk
07-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Alright, now that -jk changed the mobile view to optional, it's much more readable. The mobile view on the Blackberry was terrible though. I can deal with it the way it is now, I'll get used to it I'm sure.

Sorry for the freakout and thanks for the kind words (whoever you were earlier in the thread ;)) and -jk and devil84 as well!

I'm glad it's working better for you now. We don't want it to be miserable for anyone. We do want to give options to people as possible. Personally I prefer the mobile view on my blackberry - but to each his own.

-jk

camion
07-22-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm sending this from my iPad. Everything looks fine from here, but I'm using the Atom browser right now. I'll check from Safari.

Now editing the post from Safari. I don't see any big problems.

The iPad doesn't do Flash so that is a problem on some sites, but not here.

DevilHorns
07-22-2010, 11:00 PM
This thread has made me realize that the IPad was a bigger hit than I first thought.:)

-jk
07-22-2010, 11:03 PM
This thread has made me realize that the IPad was a bigger hit than I first thought.:)

Not just ipads, but various smart phones, too.

-jk

-jk
07-22-2010, 11:08 PM
The new format looks terrific on my Droid.

Glad to here it. We didn't have a Droid to test with. (Have an extra?)

-jk

Taco
07-22-2010, 11:24 PM

I suppose I was replying to a general theme I sensed and shouldn't have directed my post at you (perhaps at Boozer, just above the quoted post).

I don't post much and I don't care too hard about how seriously I'm taken when I do, but I think having post counts out front and center directly above each post is a bad thing. I feel it creates an incentive, however small, to post for the sake of posting rather than to well thought-out, meaningful posts. I think that's what the moderators/owners were going for with the whole new pitchforks/commenting/smiley face mechanic. As jk points out it'll take a while for that to ramp up and find out if people will actually use it or if it works. I hope they do, and it does.

-jk
07-23-2010, 09:35 AM
We've made the mobile look optional. Anyone having any other trouble with the mobile vs blue looks?

We've also had some people suggest a slightly larger or wider font - we'll look into that.

thanks,

-jk

DukeUsul
07-23-2010, 09:46 AM
I just visited the forums from my Droid, and it appears that the "Blue" theme was now defaulted when I visited. I was able to change it to "Mobile" pretty easily. When I visited yesterday, "Mobile" was the default.

The two suggestions I'd make that will make it better to view on my Droid would be a slightly larger font and including users' avatars.

Stray Gator
07-23-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm using the "Blue" mode on my Droid, and the avatars are displayed. I think it looks and works fine in that format. Try it for a day and see if it becomes more comfortable.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-23-2010, 10:35 AM

Post counts aren't a huge deal, but I wouldn't say they weren't being used. A poster making inane comments in their 2nd or 3rd post can be labeled as a someone who clearly doesn't belong. Also, someone who has been around long enough to make several thousand posts might be paid a little more attention than others. Seniority counts.

Having the join date somewhat makes up for this. Although it only shows when the new board was created, not the real join date.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Went to my Droid and it was in the Blue mode, so I switched to the Mobile mode using the button/selector at the bottom. Now I want to go back to the Blue mode but there is no button at the bottom to be found? Am I just missing it or is it not there?

-jk
07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Went to my Droid and it was in the Blue mode, so I switched to the Mobile mode using the button/selector at the bottom. Now I want to go back to the Blue mode but there is no button at the bottom to be found? Am I just missing it or is it not there?

It should be there. I'll check when I get home.

If you log out it should reset to Blue.

-jk

OZZIE4DUKE
07-23-2010, 11:19 AM

-jk
Now it's getting weirder. On either board, I get no DBR header, so there is no log out button. The first thing I have under the url banner in my browser is "DBR Mobile" in the center, and then just below that, left justified, are "buttons" for Home, King, OffTop, TktES and UserCP, and then the thread topics are listed below that. BTW, I'm using the DolphinHD browser as recommended by Stray Gator when I got my Droid.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-23-2010, 11:29 AM

-jk
Somebody must have done something/fixed it. Now I found the selector button above the bottom blue banner and was able to select "Blue". Lo and behold, the top DBR banner displays again, complete with log in button, etc.

Good work!

DevilWearsPrada
07-23-2010, 11:41 AM
A little hard to read. I preferred the former format.

SilkyJ
07-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Still figuring out some of the details on the mobile version, but both Blue and Mobile look solid on my BB (Curve 8330) using Opera 4.2.

One potential bug- I signed in, then jumped into this thread, and had to click to page 2, then page 3, then by the time I got to the last post and went to submit a response I had somehow been signed out. I signed back in and everything was fine but wanted to mention in case jumping from page to page somehow signs others out as well...

MisterRoddy
07-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Still figuring out some of the details on the mobile version, but both Blue and Mobile look solid on my BB (Curve 8330) using Opera 4.2.

One potential bug- I signed in, then jumped into this thread, and had to click to page 2, then page 3, then by the time I got to the last post and went to submit a response I had somehow been signed out. I signed back in and everything was fine but wanted to mention in case jumping from page to page somehow signs others out as well...

Did you forget to click the option, "remember me"? Sometimes I forget to and I feel like it signs me off every five minutes.

DukeUsul
07-23-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm using the "Blue" mode on my Droid, and the avatars are displayed. I think it looks and works fine in that format. Try it for a day and see if it becomes more comfortable.

The problem with using "Blue" on the Droid is the fact that I have to double-click or pinch-zoom every time a page loads to get the miniscule text visible. I'd much rather read something on my mobile that is styled to make it easily readable on the mobile.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather use a mobile skin because it makes the text more legible than the regular skin. But in this case the mobile skin just needs a few small improvements. Another one I thought of since my last post (and I think someone may have already listed this) is that it should use white text on a dark background. The screen is one of the biggest power-draws on mobile devices - it's more efficient to display white text on dark background and will save battery in the long run.

In fact I've got Tapatalk set up over at crazietalk and I'm using it a few other places. It out of the box allows you to view bulletin boards with white-on-black. I'm loving it and would love to see it used here.

SilkyJ
07-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Did you forget to click the option, "remember me"? Sometimes I forget to and I feel like it signs me off every five minutes.

Nope, definitely remembered that part.

The problem with using "Blue" on the Droid is the fact that I have to double-click or pinch-zoom every time a page loads to get the miniscule text visible. I'd much rather read something on my mobile that is styled to make it easily readable on the mobile.

I have to do that regardless of the style I use (blue or mobile). I guess its a bit annoying, but I'm also used to it on my BB.

For those with BB's are you using Opera or the BB browser and which do you like better? If Opera, what version are you using?

DukeUsul
07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Nope, definitely remembered that part.

I have to do that regardless of the style I use (blue or mobile). I guess its a bit annoying, but I'm also used to it on my BB.

For those with BB's are you using Opera or the BB browser and which do you like better? If Opera, what version are you using?

Check out Tapatalk (http://www.tapatalk.com/). Hover over the features to see what they look like in the app on the phone. The app is so worth it - it makes browsing forums and just looking at new posts without zooming a breeze.

ice-9
07-23-2010, 01:38 PM

-jk

Just wanted to add that the mobile version is a God send for me (iPhone 3G). While the previous forum code was OK, I did have to do a lot of zooming and scrolling to read stuff. The mobile skin for this version works so much better -- I don't need all the fluff on my phone, just readable text in an easy to use format, which it does do. I'm sure it can be improved, but I'm already quite happy with it.

My two cents in case it seems like everyone is hating the mobile version...

-jk
07-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Just wanted to add that the mobile version is a God send for me (iPhone 3G). While the previous forum code was OK, I did have to do a lot of zooming and scrolling to read stuff. The mobile skin for this version works so much better -- I don't need all the fluff on my phone, just readable text in an easy to use format, which it does do. I'm sure it can be improved, but I'm already quite happy with it.

My two cents in case it seems like everyone is hating the mobile version...

Thanks!

-jk

Stray Gator
07-23-2010, 02:25 PM
The problem with using "Blue" on the Droid is the fact that I have to double-click or pinch-zoom every time a page loads to get the miniscule text visible. ....

That's strange, because my experience is the opposite: When I accessed the old boards using my Droid, the text of the messages was so tiny that I had to zoom to make it legible. But with the new format on the boards, the print in the messages as they display on my Droid using the "Blue" mode is sufficiently large that I can read them without any need to magnify the image at all. Fortunately, now we each have the option to choose the mode that works best.

-jk
07-23-2010, 03:02 PM
I've done some playing with fonts, and I have questions for mobile users:

What device do you use?

Are you using the device's native browser or a 3rd party one?

Is your browser set for "mobilize" or "columns" or some other automatic simplification of the page or does it render the page in the full page view (where you presumably zoom on larger sites)?

I use both Opera mini v5 and the v5 native browser on my Storm.

In Opera, nothing I do on the server side changes the font presented.

In the blackberry's native browser, the font was much smaller in the full "page view." I changed the font on the server end, and it got larger in blackberry browser.

In "column view," the font is readable, and nothing I do on the server side changes the font in the browser. I have to change the size in the blackberry.

I'll leave it larger for a bit to see how people like it.

-jk

OZZIE4DUKE
07-23-2010, 03:56 PM

What device do you use?

Are you using the device's native browser or a 3rd party one?
Motorola Droid (original version), using DolphinHD browser per Stray's recommendation at the ACC Tournament!

-jk
07-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Motorola Droid (original version), using DolphinHD browser per Stray's recommendation at the ACC Tournament!

Did you see a change in font size after I posted about the change?

-jk

airowe
07-23-2010, 04:49 PM

What device do you use? Blackberry Curve

Are you using the device's native browser or a 3rd party one? Native

Is your browser set for "mobilize" or "columns" or some other automatic simplification of the page or does it render the page in the full page view (where you presumably zoom on larger sites)? Columns

For some reason it won't let me just put those answers inside of the quote box, so I had to type something here because it was telling me my post was too short.

-jk
07-23-2010, 05:25 PM
For some reason it won't let me just put those answers inside of the quote box, so I had to type something here because it was telling me my post was too short.

That's always been the case. Text inside quotes doesn't count.

I think your font will be defined by your blackberry settings. How does it look in page view?

-jk

gep
07-23-2010, 05:25 PM
I really like the mobile skin on my iPhone (3GS). I can actually read the board in portrait mode without zooming. And there's no ads in the first or last post on a page. So far, so good.

SilkyJ
07-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Check out Tapatalk (http://www.tapatalk.com/). Hover over the features to see what they look like in the app on the phone. The app is so worth it - it makes browsing forums and just looking at new posts without zooming a breeze.

Downloaded the app but can't seem to access this forum. It seems like all forums there are pre-indexed so if its not in their "library" then you can't get to it. Have you actually used it for this board before? If so, how!?!

SilkyJ
07-23-2010, 08:30 PM
This is likely by design, but I don't think I can "multitude" on my mobile.

I'm in "mobile" view on my BB and using Opera v5 (just upgraded to it today now that I realized its out of Beta)

-jk
07-23-2010, 08:41 PM
This is likely by design, but I don't think I can "multitude" on my mobile.

I'm in "mobile" view on my BB and using Opera v5 (just upgraded to it today now that I realized its out of Beta)

I'm not sure what you mean by multitude.

-jk

DukeUsul
07-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Downloaded the app but can't seem to access this forum. It seems like all forums there are pre-indexed so if its not in their "library" then you can't get to it. Have you actually used it for this board before? If so, how!?!

Yes. It has to be configured by the admins. I'm hopeful that if there is enough demand the admins here would consider it.

mgtr
07-24-2010, 02:03 PM
So, this change is not a mistake, I mean it is an on-purpose permanent change? I don't care for it (I realize my vote is not worth much). From the shoddy look of the pages, I guess it must be saving somebody some money.

ThePublisher
07-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Looks just fine on my Samsung i8910 running on the builtin browser, skyfire and Opera Mobile 10. Sounds like you guys just need to get a real phone and ditch the blackberrys.

mgtr
07-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Ok, moderators, owners, and other decision makers. I don't use a mobile system (other than a netbook) to look at this forum, but on my monitor and on my netbook, the pages are very, very hard to read. Take a look at the Corvette Forum to see what I think a site should look like -- easy to read, plenty of contrast, can go through thread topics easily. Don't know what if any mobile faciltiies it supports, but it is good for those us old fogies who still use fixed computers. Just my $.02.

Turtleboy
07-25-2010, 12:03 PM

-jkAll I have is Blue and Mobile. No Default.

-jk
07-25-2010, 12:43 PM
All I have is Blue and Mobile. No Default.

My bad. That was from early prototyping.

Just the two then.

-jk

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-27-2010, 11:14 AM
There is add-on software out there that can be added to vbulletin sites to take advantage of a Forum Runner iPhone app (Android's in development). Basically, this would skirt around any issues people are having with viewing the DBR by allowing them to install an app that makes the forums look pretty decent on a mobile handset.

I don't know a whole lot about it, but it looks like AVS Forum used it to create their own dedicated app, as did DBSTalk. This might be too costly for DBR, but it's an idea.

http://www.forumrunner.net/

Are there any plans to do anything like this?

-jk
07-28-2010, 05:31 PM
...I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather use a mobile skin because it makes the text more legible than the regular skin. But in this case the mobile skin just needs a few small improvements. Another one I thought of since my last post (and I think someone may have already listed this) is that it should use white text on a dark background. The screen is one of the biggest power-draws on mobile devices - it's more efficient to display white text on dark background and will save battery in the long run.

I've heard this debunked a few times. Google (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/is-black-new-green.html) did a page, and I found this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Syp4uzvcSo), where a guy actually measures watts consumed by an LCD screen with a black background vs a white background. He found that the black background actually used more energy. He says the screen lights are always on, and each pixel has to block it to get black.

I can't say if they're right or not. For now, we'll leave it the way it is.

-jk

-jk
07-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Anyone else have thoughts on or issues with the Mobile view? Are you able to select the view you want, whether Blue or Mobile, and regardless of the browser/device?

-jk

MisterRoddy
07-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Anyone else have thoughts on or issues with the Mobile view? Are you able to select the view you want, whether Blue or Mobile, and regardless of the browser/device?

-jk

No problems on my iPad or iPhone (I use Blue on both). Ever since the change, I haven't missed a beat.

Jim3k
07-29-2010, 12:28 AM

-jk

I find myself in agreement with mtgr. I don't use a mobile device so IMO, this enhancement for the mobile users is not an improvement for me. I found the old program much easier to read (and -jk, you know my old eyes ain't gettin' better with age).

I don't mean to be a modern Luddite, or anything, but I thought you had a darn good layout before. If it warn't broke, why'd you fix it?

I do think some of the buttons are in the wrong place and there is no easy button to go back to the forum page (at the bottom, it takes two clicks rather than the one of old).

So my 2¢, from a non-mobile user, is that this is not a step forward in readability and is probably half a step back.

gep
07-29-2010, 12:41 AM

-jk

I'm using iPhone 3GS, iOS4, version 4.0.1. Absolutely no problems at all. I can switch back and forth from Blue to Mobile view without any problems. I really like the Mobile view on my iPhone... less "stuff", larger font so easier to read.

SilkyJ
07-29-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by multitude.

-jk

Sorry, jk, meant multiQUOTE

MisterRoddy
07-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Sorry, jk, meant multiQUOTE

You on the horrific iOS auto-correct too? Smh.

SilkyJ
07-29-2010, 01:00 AM
You on the horrific iOS auto-correct too? Smh.

Ha, no. iBrainfart