PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul Wants Out of New Orleans

MisterRoddy
07-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Posted this in the Lebron thread but thought it deserved its own thread, your thoughts? Here's the link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Chris-Paul-leaving-New-Orleans-?urn=nba-257473

It appears he would like to be traded to the Knicks, Magic, or Lakers.

flyingdutchdevil
07-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Posted this in the Lebron thread but thought it deserved its own thread, your thoughts? Here's the link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Chris-Paul-leaving-New-Orleans-?urn=nba-257473

No way he's getting traded to the Lakers - what could the Lakers offer that they would want to give up? They're not getting Gasol, Bynum, or Odom.

The Knicks don't really have anything to give. I don't think they have a draft pick until 2021. Plus, they're not giving Amare away. Felton and a few of the Golden State trade players? Possibly - but I think the Big Easy wants a little more.

The Magic makes a lot of sense. They could give Nelson, Gortat, Brandon Bass, and a few draft picks for Paul (if the NO back office is stupid, which they very well might be, they could take on VC's contract as well). That team would be stacked if that happened and Redick would be able to see a lot more open looks.

MisterRoddy
07-22-2010, 08:07 AM
No way he's getting traded to the Lakers - what could the Lakers offer that they would want to give up? They're not getting Gasol, Bynum, or Odom.

The Knicks don't really have anything to give. I don't think they have a draft pick until 2021. Plus, they're not giving Amare away. Felton and a few of the Golden State trade players? Possibly - but I think the Big Easy wants a little more.

The Magic makes a lot of sense. They could give Nelson, Gortat, Brandon Bass, and a few draft picks for Paul (if the NO back office is stupid, which they very well might be, they could take on VC's contract as well). That team would be stacked if that happened and Redick would be able to see a lot more open looks.

If I had to guess the packages for each team:

Magic: Jameer Nelson, Vince Carter (hopefully for JJ's sake), 1 of Gortat and Bass and 1 or 2 first rounders.

Lakers: Bynum ( LA has been wanting to trade him), LO (LA would then take back a bad contract like Okafor), 2 first rounders.

Knicks: Wilson Chandler, Toney Douglas, Anthony Randolph, 1st rounder.

I doubt the Lakers will have that much of a shot.

I hope the Magic because I am pretty fond of that team and JJ would probably get a chance to start should VC be involved.

I think the most likely destination would be NY. They have the best pieces for a trade, Amare, and the great city of NY.

nocilla
07-22-2010, 08:20 AM
NY also has Amare and high hopes of getting Carmelo next year.

I would like to see him go to Orlando with Nelson and Vince leaving, but I think NY is the most likely destination.

wolfpackdevil
07-22-2010, 08:49 AM
I think it would be very interesting if CP3 went to LA to play for the Lakers. The lakers would not mind trading Andrew Bynum, and they could also give away a couple draft picks, and a guard like Shannon Brown. Since New Orleans pretty much knows that this would be Chris Paul's last year in Lousiana anyway, they would take a trade like that.

New Orleans: Andrew Bynum, Shannon Brown, 2 Draft Picks

Los Angeles: Chris Paul

Next year's starting lineup: Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Ron Artest, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol. There would be nobody, including Miami, that could handle that team.

CDu
07-22-2010, 08:55 AM
I think it would be very interesting if CP3 went to LA to play for the Lakers. The lakers would not mind trading Andrew Bynum, and they could also give away a couple draft picks, and a guard like Shannon Brown. Since New Orleans pretty much knows that this would be Chris Paul's last year in Lousiana anyway, they would take a trade like that.

New Orleans: Andrew Bynum, Shannon Brown, 2 Draft Picks

Los Angeles: Chris Paul

Next year's starting lineup: Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Ron Artest, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol. There would be nobody, including Miami, that could handle that team.

It's a nice image, but I don't actually think New Orleans would want to do that deal. Bynum has serious questions about his knees, the Lakers don't actually have the right to trade Brown (he is a free agent), and those draft picks look better in print than they really are.

Remember: the Lakers will likely be drafting at/near the end of the first round each year for the next few years. So their pick would be around #30. But as a 1st round pick, that #30 pick gets guaranteed money. Conversely, a #33 pick (2nd rounder) is roughly the same quality, but that player isn't guaranteed a contract.

I think New York is the only team of that group that can make an interesting offer. Or, I guess I would say, if I were the New Orleans GM, New York is the only team that could offer anything interesting. And the "interesting" thing they can offer is salary cap relief and some young talent.

rotogod00
07-22-2010, 08:57 AM
It's a nice image, but I don't actually think New Orleans would want to do that deal. Bynum has serious questions about his knees, the Lakers don't actually have the right to trade Brown (he is a free agent), and those draft picks look better in print than they really are.

Remember: the Lakers will likely be drafting at/near the end of the first round each year for the next few years. So their pick would be around #30. But as a 1st round pick, that #30 pick gets guaranteed money. Conversely, a #33 pick (2nd rounder) is roughly the same quality, but that player isn't guaranteed a contract.

I think New York is the only team of that group that can make an interesting offer. Or, I guess I would say, if I were the New Orleans GM, New York is the only team that could offer anything interesting. And the "interesting" thing they can offer is salary cap relief and some young talent.

yup, can offer eddy curry's expiring contract. holds lots of value

airowe
07-22-2010, 08:58 AM
I have a friend close to the Paul family and this story is not exactly as it seems. Its being portrayed by ESPN as CP3 wanting to do like Lebron did and create a mega-team like Bosh, Wade, and Lebron did in Miami.

This has more to do with CP3's lack of confidence in the Hornets organization to build a quality team around him. Shinn's sale of the team still hasn't gone through and Paul has watched free agent after free agent sign elsewhere. Its not a happy situation in NO.

For those of you wanting Paul in Orlando, remember that they just signed Chris Duhon. It would be interesting to see Chris become part of a package that would end up in New Orleans, as he would be a hometown hero down there. I really don't see how ORL could justify having both Paul and Jameer Nelson.

superdave
07-22-2010, 09:06 AM
The Nets could offer Devin Harris, Derrick Favors and a pick or two (plus cap filler). That's a better deal than most.

OKC could offer Russell Westbrook, Jeff Green or some mix.

What is the status of Chris Paul's knee? From what I understand, it could cut his career short. Anyone know?

CDu
07-22-2010, 09:13 AM
The Nets could offer Devin Harris, Derrick Favors and a pick or two (plus cap filler). That's a better deal than most.

OKC could offer Russell Westbrook, Jeff Green or some mix.

What is the status of Chris Paul's knee? From what I understand, it could cut his career short. Anyone know?

Yeah, the Nets and Hornets are also interesting too, in that I think they can take on some salary in return. I think the key to any trade for New Orleans would be getting a combination of young/cheap talent and salary cap relief. So OKC and NJ offer similar benefits as NY in that regard.

superdave
07-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Yeah, the Nets and Hornets are also interesting too, in that I think they can take on some salary in return. I think the key to any trade for New Orleans would be getting a combination of young/cheap talent and salary cap relief. So OKC and NJ offer similar benefits as NY in that regard.

If NO ships Paul out, then they will likely try to force someone to take Okafor as well. Okafor has 4 more years and about $48 million left on his deal (ouch...after averaging 10 ppg last year).

So NO could potentially try to hand someone about $25 million in salary for each of the next two years. That's tough. Guess Okafor probably could not get moved without involving a 3rd team because that's a lot of $.

Their best option seems to be Devin Harris, Derrick Favors and a future 1st rounder. The Hornets also have Peja's expiring deal they could trade for young talent or picks.

Rudy
07-22-2010, 11:12 AM

That would make me happy for both players. I know Paul is not a favorite around here but I like him a lot. And it sure would be good for JJ to have an assist leader at point.

JimBD
07-22-2010, 11:39 AM
The Hornets have an All Star David West to complement Chris Paul. Peja signed a hugh free agent contract which I believe expires next year. Due to injuries and getting older, Peja's production seems to have fallen off. In my opinion, once Peja's contract expires, New Orleans should have a lot more flexibility to put additional talent around Chris Paul. Chris Paul has been the face of the New Orleans franchise, and I expect every effort will be made to keep him in New Orleans. He seems to like New Orleans a lot, but like most other NBA All-Stars, he wants to have the opportunity to play for a championship. The Hornets need to find a way to surround Chris Paul with the help he needs.

superdave
07-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Boston has the hammer offer if they want to make it: Rondo, Perkins, Sheed's ghost, No. 1 + 3m for CP3 + Okafor. NO has to say yes to that.
about 5 hours ago via UberTwitter

Greg_Newton
07-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Agreed that Boston would probably have the most to offer with Rondo... I keep forgetting that Paul is less than a year older than Rondo (25 and 24, respectively). Seems like Paul's been around for so much longer.

If Boston's not willing to part with Rondo, it does seem like Orlando would be the most intriguiging match for both teams, and also for Paul and our boy JJ. Would Nelson, Gortat, Carter and a first round pick for Paul and Okafor make sense? To me, it's seems like if New Orleans would need to focus on rebuilding if they got rid of Paul, and sitting on a huge expiring contract and 2 first round picks along with a promising young C and at-times-all-star PG wouldn't be that bad of a place to be in the summer of 2011, all things considered.

Plus, it would be great for Orlando. Paul and Howard would be quite a force, especially surrounded by wing marksmen like Lewis, Redick, Richardson and Pietrus. Okafor would give them another legitimate option in the post, and give them the most intimidating backline defense in the league if Stan started him and Howard together (pushing Lewis to the wing), but he'd have to tweak his offensive approach a bit.

And most importantly, it would give JJ a legitimate shot to start and pair him with an elite PG who excels at creating offense for others!

Osiagledknarf
07-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Looking at the potential deals out of these teams:

Orlando: Jameer Nelson, Gortat for Paul and Oakfor. With Darren Collison in the wings to if/when a Paul trade occurs; they get Nelson, who could be easily made into a shooting guard with his ability to shoot from the outside, Gortat who is a solid center who can block shots and rebound. This deal would also save a little more then 5 million in cap room for the Hornets to be able to pursue future free agents or trades for high level talent.

New York: Looking at there roster, there are a lot of attractive pieces on that team. Anthony Randolph, Wilson Chandler and Eddy Curry's expiring contract which would allow them to pursue a big gun such as Carmelo Anthony or another big free agent in the future. If you put a package of Anthony Randolph, Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry for Chris Paul and Emeka Oakfor, it would work.

Lakers: The only real thing the Lakers have to offer here is Andrew Bynum, who is very very attractive expect for the frequent knee problems he has had early in his career which could turn the Hornets away. I see the Lakers as having the least chance with how the salary cap works.

I would say Orlando has the most to give away, but the Knicks have cap relief in Eddy Curry's contract.

MisterRoddy
07-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Looking at the potential deals out of these teams:

Orlando: Jameer Nelson, Gortat for Paul and Oakfor. With Darren Collison in the wings to if/when a Paul trade occurs; they get Nelson, who could be easily made into a shooting guard with his ability to shoot from the outside, Gortat who is a solid center who can block shots and rebound. This deal would also save a little more then 5 million in cap room for the Hornets to be able to pursue future free agents or trades for high level talent.

Jameer Nelson as a shooting guard would not work, having two relatively short (Jameer is 6'0) guys in the backcourt would not work at all for defense.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Jameer Nelson as a shooting guard would not work, having two relatively short (Jameer is 6'0) guys in the backcourt would not work at all for defense.

They wouldn't care if they shed over 25 mil in salary if they weren't that good in the short term (as a result of having a small PG too). If your restructuring - may as well grab a high lottery while your at it. The magic would have to take Posey back as well.

Besides the point though - I still don't see the motivation of New Orleans to trade Chris Paul immediately. They will probably wait.

MisterRoddy
07-22-2010, 11:57 PM
They wouldn't care if they shed over 25 mil in salary if they weren't that good in the short term (as a result of having a small PG too). If your restructuring - may as well grab a high lottery while your at it. The magic would have to take Posey back as well.

Besides the point though - I still don't see the motivation of New Orleans to trade Chris Paul immediately. They will probably wait.

I think it would be better for the Magic to involve a third team (Pacers and Granger maybe?) so they send Nelson, Carter, and 1st rounder to Pacers, Pacers send Granger to Hornets (Hornets also get Gortat/Bass) Hornets send Paul to Magic.

Pacers get that point guard they need and have Paul George to replace Granger. Total speculation but I think something like this would work

Edouble
07-23-2010, 01:04 AM
I think it's kind of funny that no one has brought up the idea that Orlando might have to send JJ to NO to get Paul, as everyone's wish is that VC leaves the Magic, JJ takes his spot, and gets to start in a backcourt with CP3. If we're having a serious discussion about CP3 to Orlando though, you have to know that everyone on the Magic roster, with the exception of Dwight Howard, is trade bait.

MisterRoddy
07-23-2010, 01:54 AM
I think it's kind of funny that no one has brought up the idea that Orlando might have to send JJ to NO to get Paul, as everyone's wish is that VC leaves the Magic, JJ takes his spot, and gets to start in a backcourt with CP3. If we're having a serious discussion about CP3 to Orlando though, you have to know that everyone on the Magic roster, with the exception of Dwight Howard, is trade bait.

I think the idea has passed through the minds of many, including mine, but we haven't brought it up because it's not really something that we would want for JJ. If he gets traded to the Hornets, and CP3 is in that deal to the Magic, The Hornets, and now JJ, are irrelevant for the next few years. I pray that it would be Vince instead off JJ in a deal involving Chris Paul, but I do agree that everyone on the Magic roster with the exception of Dwight, is trade bait.

brevity
07-23-2010, 04:03 AM

Dull surprise. Chris Paul wants to win a championship, and he knows he CAN'T in today's NBA because there is no parity.

This is the dirty secret that no one talked about in the great Free Agency Frenzy of 2010. This is why LeBron had to join forces with Wade and Bosh rather than try to forge ahead on his own. It's not that he hated the Cavs, or loved the Heat. It's not that he lacked confidence in himself. It's that he knew the Lakers must, at all costs, be stopped.

The sports world endured a painful, lengthy, bloated, farcical episode in the NBA this summer. I'm not talking about The Decision; I'm talking about the NBA playoffs. Two months of agonizing basketball -- the entire planet decides the best soccer country in half the time -- just to ensure that the Lakers would win again. The most jaded of fans knew there was no other result. And it was going to happen again in 2011 unless Pat Riley could build Lakers East. And so he did.

Now that the Heat roster is filled, next season actually presents a reasonable question as to who will win the title. Sure, it's two glamour franchises* instead of one. Purists like me are still annoyed. But at least now the NBA has a degree of relevance. It's not as pre-ordained.

*Glamour franchise: describes a team and organization that the average TV executive loves more than the average fan.

Osiagledknarf
07-23-2010, 09:06 AM

I think it would work for the short term. Nelson has the quickness to be able to stay with other guards and I think you could develop a more run and gun style in Orlando with those two on the floor. Or like you said, you could trade him in a 3 team deal involving someone Detriot with Rodney Stuckey and Trail Blazers with Rudy Fernandez and Jerryd Bayless for example... Just to name a couple of deals that could potential deals that could work.

Highlander
07-23-2010, 09:22 AM
I have heard the Bobcats tossed around as a potential suitor for Paul. However, I don't know what they could offer him other than a playoff caliber team, and don't know what they could offer for him either, as they have no draft picks from this year and very little in the way of names on their roster.

Oh, and I live around Charlotte, NC, so that would explain why I've heard it and no one else has.

theAlaskanBear
07-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Chris Paul isn't pulling a LeBron. It more that the Hornets have de-committed to winning the last couple of years. The Byron Scott firing did not go over well, and with the team going up for sale, as well as having one of the 5 worst owners in the NBA (Shinn, of Charlotte infamy)...well the writing has been on the wall.

I think Orlando is probably the best fit for Paul...can you imagine Howard in an offense with a PG that can create for the big man and not just himself (Nelson)? Plus JJ would be getting a lot more open looks...and Orlando has pieces to trade.

Duvall
07-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Chris Paul isn't pulling a LeBron.

Hard to say that Paul isn't pulling a LeBron when he's following the LeBron playbook awfully closely (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/13659617/new-hornets-brass-already-facing-crisis-with-paul?tag=globalNav.nba;cover).

In late June, Paul, 25, spent several days in Akron, Ohio, with James, who was busy orchestrating his own exit strategy from Cleveland. The two friends and superstars picked each other's brains, with each persuading the other to make significant changes in their branding strategies. For Paul, it was a big step to persuade James to join the social networking phenomenon that is Twitter. For James' part, he finally persuaded Paul to join his Cleveland-based marketing company, LRMR.

Paul's decision to sign with LRMR, headed by James' close friend and advisor, Maverick Carter, was only the first step in his exit plan from New Orleans. Paul officially severed his representation agreement with Octagon earlier this month and will soon officially join the influential stable of clients represented by Creative Artists Agency.

With a stranglehold on the top free-agent talent, CAA dictated the terms, pace and outcome of the monumental free-agent class of 2010. CAA clients James and Bosh agreed to join forces with fellow CAA client Wade in Miami, forming a rare triumvirate through the leverage and friendship of players as opposed to the whim of management.

Paul will be represented by CAA agent Leon Rose, who also represents James and potential 2011 free agents Anthony and Tony Parker. Miami's Big Three haven't even run a layup drill, and yet CAA already has the foundation in place to run the table in the free-agent summer of 2011, as well. But with a lockout looming and superstars Paul, Anthony, and to a lesser degree Parker uneasy about their current situations, those plans already are in motion.

Then again, I'm not sure why this is such a bad thing. Super-teams are fun.

cato
07-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Two months of agonizing basketball -- the entire planet decides the best soccer country in half the time -- just to ensure that the Lakers would win again. The most jaded of fans knew there was no other result. And it was going to happen again in 2011 unless Pat Riley could build Lakers East. [/I]

Are you sure you are talking about the Finals this year? Only the 3rd final series that went to game 7 in the past 20 years? The one that was decided by a whole 4 points?

brevity
07-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Are you sure you are talking about the Finals this year? Only the 3rd final series that went to game 7 in the past 20 years? The one that was decided by a whole 4 points?

Yes, that's the one. Close, sure, but inevitable.

cato
07-23-2010, 04:58 PM

You must have a different definition of inevitable. Was Duke's win over Butler also inevitable?

dyemeduke
07-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Rumor has it that Paul said something while giving a toast at Melo's wedding along the lines of, let's go to NY and make our own super threesome.

Melo hasn't accepted the Nuggets deal yet. Amare is one of his best friends. I actually can really seeing this happening...

MisterRoddy
07-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Yeah, I don't think it was inevitable. if Kendrick Perkins doesn't go down, Kobe doesn't get 15 boards and the Lakers probably don't win. I know it's hard to predict, but the Lakers winning was not inevitable.

Now, back on topic, if CP3 goes to either the Knicks or Magic, now there are 4 legitimate championship contenders in the Lakers, Heat, Magic/Knicks, and Celtics with fringe teams such as Chicago, Denver, and Oklahoma City. The next few years should be fun for the NBA.

brevity
07-23-2010, 05:06 PM
You must have a different definition of inevitable. Was Duke's win over Butler also inevitable?

No, but Connecticut's win over Stanford in the 2010 women's tournament was.

The point is parity. Men's college basketball has it. Sometimes the champion was viewed by most as the best team all season, sometimes they weren't. More to the point, sometimes there WAS no best team. It's wide open, and therefore more watchable. This is one (of many, granted) reasons why the NFL is the nation's most popular sport. Even the glamour franchises aspiring to dynasties don't make the playoffs every year.

Purists prefer parity; they do not find coronations all that interesting.

pfrduke
07-23-2010, 05:42 PM
No, but Connecticut's win over Stanford in the 2010 women's tournament was.

The point is parity. Men's college basketball has it. Sometimes the champion was viewed by most as the best team all season, sometimes they weren't. More to the point, sometimes there WAS no best team. It's wide open, and therefore more watchable. This is one (of many, granted) reasons why the NFL is the nation's most popular sport. Even the glamour franchises aspiring to dynasties don't make the playoffs every year.

Purists prefer parity; they do not find coronations all that interesting.

The 2010 Lakers most definitely do not equal the 2010 Husky women (he he) in terms of coronations. They had the best record in the West by just 2 games, and were only 7 games better than the number 8 seed. The Cavs and the Magic had better records (and would have had home court if they had made the Finals). Heck, the Lakers lost 2 first round games to OKC, and were down 3-2 in the NBA finals.

Don't confuse the fact that LA has won the last two seasons (and been to the finals three straight) with an absence of parity. Did the NFL lack parity when NE won three super bowls in 4 years, and made the playoffs 7 of 9?

Actually, taking this further, in the 9 seasons starting in 2001-02, the Lakers and NE are quite comparable. The Lakers have won 3 titles, been to the finals twice more, advanced at least one round in the playoffs 6 times, and reached the playoffs 8 times (which is, of course, vastly easier in the NBA when it's 8 of 15, instead of 6 of 16). NE has won 3 titles, been to the finals once more, advanced at least one round in the playoffs 6 times, and reached the playoffs 7 times.

brevity
07-23-2010, 06:40 PM
The 2010 Lakers most definitely do not equal the 2010 Husky women (he he) in terms of coronations. They had the best record in the West by just 2 games, and were only 7 games better than the number 8 seed. The Cavs and the Magic had better records (and would have had home court if they had made the Finals). Heck, the Lakers lost 2 first round games to OKC, and were down 3-2 in the NBA finals.

Don't confuse the fact that LA has won the last two seasons (and been to the finals three straight) with an absence of parity. Did the NFL lack parity when NE won three super bowls in 4 years, and made the playoffs 7 of 9?

Actually, taking this further, in the 9 seasons starting in 2001-02, the Lakers and NE are quite comparable. The Lakers have won 3 titles, been to the finals twice more, advanced at least one round in the playoffs 6 times, and reached the playoffs 8 times (which is, of course, vastly easier in the NBA when it's 8 of 15, instead of 6 of 16). NE has won 3 titles, been to the finals once more, advanced at least one round in the playoffs 6 times, and reached the playoffs 7 times.

Sigh. This is getting further and further away from Chris Paul, and I really have no way to put it back on topic.

On the grand scale of inevitability, where one end is a Random Grain of Sand Generator and the other end Single Player Russian Roulette, the NBA outcome is closer to women's college basketball than it is to men's college basketball. I never said the Lakers were equal to a team that's won around 80 straight games.

There may have been some hope for some fans when the playoffs started, but once LeBron gave up on the best-record Cavs, the outcome of the NBA playoffs was never in doubt. I know there was a lot of closeness in the Western Conference standings, but the NBA is not set up to allow a team led by a 21-year-old (OKC) beat a team that features the 95-year-old Derek Fisher. It wasn't going to happen.*

The setup is everything. The NFL is no longer configured to ease the path of dynasties. It is unbiased and a little bit cruel. In that context, you had to be impressed with the consistency of the Patriots, even if they were annoying. (I also don't mind the Patriots' run because it began and ended in such spectacular fashion. And I especially appreciate how they gave up their good luck charm -- Bridget Moynahan -- and no one noticed.)

Generally, today's NBA has too many restrictions in place -- the salary cap the main one -- to transform a decent team into an immediate championship contender. You would need to create some sort of unlikely situation where a franchise were to collect a bunch of players whose contracts expired at the same time, so the payroll would be wiped clean. Then you would need to get 2 or possibly 3 superstar free agents to agree to play together for less money. Then you would try to build a team around them.

We'll see in a year if that unlikely situation actually works.

*Bear in mind I'm not talking about league conspiracies or fixed outcomes. I don't believe in that, outside of boxing.

JasonEvans
07-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Wow, Adrian Wojarwonowiskywowski (whatever?) just ripped Chris Paul, Lebron James, Maverick Carter, and Worldwide Wes (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Avcvv1BUbA.Lfi87cSFIASU5nYcB?slug=aw-paulfuture072310) a new one over at Yahoo sports!!

Here’s an idea: What Paul ought to do is run away from James, Wesley, Carter and not stop moving until he’s returned to New Orleans and reaffirmed the obligations he’s made there.

Do what’s best for you and your family. Before it’s too late, Chris Paul needs to think for himself and respond with the best move of a brilliant young career: Turn around, go home and leave King James and his court of jesters far, far behind.

--Jason "I hope CP reads that column and gets away from some folks who are giving him horrible advice" Evans

MisterRoddy
07-23-2010, 07:15 PM
--Jason "I hope CP reads that column and gets away from some folks who are giving him horrible advice" Evans

Thanks for posting the article.

I actually think Chris Paul is doing what's best for him and his career. If you think about it, if Paul stays in NO, there is no way the Hornets are winning a title in the next 5+ years with Miami, the Lakers, and the Thunder getting stronger, so Paul would basically be waisting his prime without being in contention for a title. The only way he stays is if the Hornets get help and there is no telling if they will, I mean, they haven't done so already in 5 or 6 years.

If you compare that situation to the idea of playing with Dwight Howard or Amare Stoudemire on teams that are in title contention year in and year out and, IMO, its a no-brainer.

The only way he stays, IMO, is if the Hornets can convince and guarantee him that they are bringing in help, if not, I say he keeps pushing for a trade and ultimately gets his wish.

It seems as if players are shifting from the focus of loyalty, to the focus of winning and it's definitely making the NBA a helluva lot more interesting.

cato
07-23-2010, 08:08 PM
once LeBron gave up on the best-record Cavs, the outcome of the NBA playoffs was never in doubt.

And that's where your argument completely falls apart. The outcome most certainly was in doubt, right up until the last minutes of the last quarter of the last possible game of the year. You're ignoring what actually happened on the court in order to support your larger point.

Duvall
07-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Wow, Adrian Wojarwonowiskywowski (whatever?) just ripped Chris Paul, Lebron James, Maverick Carter, and Worldwide Wes (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Avcvv1BUbA.Lfi87cSFIASU5nYcB?slug=aw-paulfuture072310) a new one over at Yahoo sports!!

I hope Wojnarowski re-reads that column and realizes that he's embarrassing himself.

Sportswriters need to understand that NBA players are professional athletes, not single-combat warriors sent to redeem the sins and sorrows of the cities to which they were randomly assigned by the bouncing of a ping-pong ball. Changing teams is not an indecent act.