PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Bullock question?!

_TheFakeJWill_
07-21-2010, 08:07 PM
so I have a question (and please feel free to delete this thread if its a dumb question) but how does Bullock compare or match up to our SG's... Dawkins, Curry, Smith? I though at first glance that he is "all talk" but viewing his Youtube videos it seems like to me UNC might be pretty legit next year. I know im just viewing highlights. Wasn't Dawkins ranking about even with Bullock out of highschool?! I know he has height on our guards seeing he is 6'6'' but how is his shot??? any input or observation is appreciated :D

DukeBlueNV
07-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Right now he is seems to be playing well in the summer league (like everyone else) and apparently last weekend he won the MVP at some NC HS All-Star game or something. From what I've seen though, he seemed a bit underwhelming especially in games like the Jordan Brand Classic and MC D's game. IMO, I'd say he's about even with Dawkins skill-wise, a little different though, not a PURE shooter like Dawkins but maybe a little better at ball-handeling.

JasonEvans
07-21-2010, 08:52 PM
...viewing his Youtube videos it seems like to me UNC might be pretty legit next year.

No offense, but if you are judging a player by viewing his YouTube videos then you need to examine your ability to make a sound evaluation. Olek Czyz looked like a future NBA hall of famer in his YouTube videos.

What's more, UNC "legit-ness" next year will depend on a heck of a lot more than Bullock. This is a team that was woefully bad at the things guards do (handling the ball, shooting outside) and that lost its two most effective inside guys to graduation/NBA draft. This is a team that saw its interior depth wiped out by a pair of untimely transfers. This is a team that did not even sniff .500 in the ACC.

They bring in help, a lot of help, but they need a lot of help. If everything breaks right for them, Carolina could be a legit contender for the top of the ACC again, but it is gonna take a lot more than Reggie Bullock being "legit" for that to happen.

As for Reggie's game-- he is a very, very nice shooter but needs to work on his strength taking the ball to the basket. I would not be absurd to say he is a bit like Andre Dawkins, probably with a little better handle (though that may not be saying much as handle is one of Andre's weaker points).

Oh, and comparing him to our "2-guards" is a joke. We are going to have potential 1-st team All-American Nolan Smith and a kid who already has been a 20 ppg scorer in college (Seth Curry) playing 2-guard for us much of the time. Reggie would have to be one of the better freshmen in Carolina history for him to be better than what we will have at "2-guard."

--Jason "I'm not even sure Reggie will start for Carolina" Evans

_TheFakeJWill_
07-21-2010, 08:59 PM
No offense, but if you are judging a player by viewing his YouTube videos then you need to examine your ability to make a sound evaluation. Olek Czyz looked like a future NBA hall of famer in his YouTube videos.

What's more, UNC "legit-ness" next year will depend on a heck of a lot more than Bullock. This is a team that was woefully bad at the things guards do (handling the ball, shooting outside) and that lost its two most effective inside guys to graduation/NBA draft. This is a team that saw its interior depth wiped out by a pair of untimely transfers. This is a team that did not even sniff .500 in the ACC.

They bring in help, a lot of help, but they need a lot of help. If everything breaks right for them, Carolina could be a legit contender for the top of the ACC again, but it is gonna take a lot more than Reggie Bullock being "legit" for that to happen.

As for Reggie's game-- he is a very, very nice shooter but needs to work on his strength taking the ball to the basket. I would not be absurd to say he is a bit like Andre Dawkins, probably with a little better handle (though that may not be saying much as handle is one of Andre's weaker points).

Oh, and comparing him to our "2-guards" is a joke. We are going to have potential 1-st team All-American Nolan Smith and a kid who already has been a 20 ppg scorer in college (Seth Curry) playing 2-guard for us much of the time. Reggie would have to be one of the better freshmen in Carolina history for him to be better than what we will have at "2-guard."

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth lol. Great post by the way. Yeah i agree w/ you. But sometimes people get "wowed" at highlight reels. and i was just thinkin about the threat of if Drew II was actually a top ACC PG, Bullock and Barnes being stud freshman and Zeller and Henson being a step up from last year.

But i would say that the "main" thing from keeping UNC from being a notch under Duke next year is PG play IMO.

ACCBBallFan
07-21-2010, 10:02 PM
It's ironic that a UNC team that could not shoot a lick from perimeter last year is now going to live an die by the three from two tall frosh, Barnes and Bullock.

When you look at Heels' 5 tallest guys, three weigh about 210 pounds (these two frosh and soph Henson, so very inexperienced besides being undersized) while there are threads about Ryan Kelly at 220 being too small last year.

Justin Knox is pretty much just a practice player for Zeller to improve against daily as they are the only tall 240 pounders on the team with Graves a short 240 pounder at 6'6".

With more size up front, Bullock and Barnes would be considered big perimeter guys, but with limited depth one or more of Graves, Barnes and Bullock will have to fill in occasionally as another 210 pound PF like Henson but two or three inches shorter, or as a 6'6" 240 pound guy .

Couple this with PGs who cannot play Roy's uptempo style that he is not likely to change to leverage their other strengths, and PGs who do not value the ball enough and it is pretty much up to Bullock and Barnes to shoot their way to victory.

So UNC will get muscled out of the paint a lot and have to rely on the long ball that Heels' fans have always criticized Duke for employing too much.

Reggie Bullock has a height advantage but Nolan has an experience advantage. Nolan can probably prevent Bullock from getting the ball and too early to tell whether Bullock can defend Nolan while the UNC PG has more than he can handle with Kyrie Irving, and Barnes will not be able to help out since he is consumed with guarding Kyle.

DevilHorns
07-21-2010, 10:20 PM
If you want to see a more realistic UNC "highlight" video from last season...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwBnW2pJBOI

Remember most of these players will be back.

82-50.

verga
07-21-2010, 10:34 PM
if the question is how good is Bullock right now or how good will he be in 2/3 years. At this time he's a good shooter and a very good handler for his size. He tends to drift but don't most freshmen? In comparing him to our guards, i'd say he's got a way to go to catch Nolan, Kyrie & Seth but i think he's passed Dawkins. When Bullock is aggressive he can be very good, i'd guess by the time he's gone from unc, he may well be a all ACC performer.

DukieInBrasil
07-22-2010, 09:24 AM
i'd say he's got a way to go to catch Nolan, Kyrie & Seth but i think he's passed Dawkins.
Even with Andre's year of experience in the ACC? I've never seen Bullock play, but I'd have to say that a full year of ACC ball and a National Championship would have to be considered huge factors counting to Andre's development compared to Bullock.

CDu
07-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Even with Andre's year of experience in the ACC? I've never seen Bullock play, but I'd have to say that a full year of ACC ball and a National Championship would have to be considered huge factors counting to Andre's development compared to Bullock.

This is an excellent question. I believe that Dawkins was a top 10-20 recruit as a junior, when he came to Duke early. I think that Bullock was probably somewhat similarly rated at that time (based on his #10 RSCI rating as of Sept 2009). Of course, prospect rankings are not foolproof.

But the question would be whether a year of college experience has improved Dawkins more than a year of high school stardom has improved Bullock. I think people tend to see the shiny new object and sometimes overvalue it relative to the slightly less new object (sort of like the Kelly/Hairston discussion). I haven't seen Bullock play, but I have trouble believing that Dawkins has developed less than Bullock over the past year.

Now, it may be that Bullock sees more PT (we're crowded on the wing) and puts up better stats. And it may be that the recruiting rankings weren't all that accurate on these two guys. That's hard to know at this point.

sandinmyshoes
07-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Being from down east, I've seen Bullock in a few high school games. In my opinion, he's a little overrated as a shooter, being very streaky. But he's also underrated as a defender and rebounder. He can score, and has range, but tends to have stretches of clanging iron. That could be because he starts taking bad shots, I thought his rebounding skill in high school was due to the fact that he's nearly as big as kids playing the frontcourt in high school, but he looked effective in the all america games he was in. Long and quick on defense, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some minutes, with Williams trying to pair him up whenever Marshall or Strickland, two questionable defenders for different reasons, are at the point for UNC.

Duvall
07-22-2010, 10:46 AM

Well, it's impossible to be *sure* that a freshman will be ready to start at this level. But Bullock doesn't have much in the way of quality competition for the shooting guard spot. It won't take much for him to start.

UrinalCake
07-22-2010, 11:38 AM
If you want to see a more realistic UNC "highlight" video from last season...

I hadn't seen that before, that was awesome

JasonEvans
07-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Well, it's impossible to be *sure* that a freshman will be ready to start at this level. But Bullock doesn't have much in the way of quality competition for the shooting guard spot. It won't take much for him to start.

Oh, I dunno about that.

I think we can agree that Drew II will start at PG with Kendall Marshall backing him up.
We can similarly agree that Henson and Zeller will start up front. I'd be shocked if they did not.
Barnes will be the wing forward, right? That's 4 starters. Is there anyone out there who thinks these 4 dudes will nto start? I thought not.

So, that leaves SG. Will Graves started a lot of games for Carolina last year and played about 25 minutes pe game. He was the best outside shooter on the team a year ago and can be lethal when on. He is a senior. It is possible that the freshman Bullock will drive the senior Graves to the bench, but it is far from a done deal. Then there are the 2 natural wing-guards on the roster-- Leslie McDonald and Dexter Strickland. Strickland played 17+ minutes per game a year ago and he too started some. He has a year in Roy's system under his belt, which gives him an advantage on Reggie.

Look, I am not saying there is no way Reggie starts, but the notion that there is no one else who can play 2-guard is just plain wrong. In fact, one could argue that Carolina has more talent and ability on the wing than any other position on the floor.

--Jason "I hope Graves starts-- I wanna see him guarding Nolan Smith... ha!!" Evans

Duvall
07-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Oh, I dunno about that.

I think we can agree that Drew II will start at PG with Kendall Marshall backing him up.
We can similarly agree that Henson and Zeller will start up front. I'd be shocked if they did not.
Barnes will be the wing forward, right? That's 4 starters. Is there anyone out there who thinks these 4 dudes will nto start? I thought not.

So, that leaves SG. Will Graves started a lot of games for Carolina last year and played about 25 minutes pe game. He was the best outside shooter on the team a year ago and can be lethal when on. He is a senior. It is possible that the freshman Bullock will drive the senior Graves to the bench, but it is far from a done deal.

The problem with playing Graves at SG is that he's the only guy on the roster capable of providing Henson with relief in the frontcourt. Heels can't afford to have him spend much time on the wing.

Then there are the 2 natural wing-guards on the roster-- Leslie McDonald and Dexter Strickland. Strickland played 17+ minutes per game a year ago and he too started some. He has a year in Roy's system under his belt, which gives him an advantage on Reggie.

You forgot to mention Strickland's disadvantage - the fact that he stinks at basketball. If Bullock can achieve even mediocrity as a freshman he should have no problem passing Dexter in the rotation. (He won't even have to be mediocre to pass McDonald.)

Look, I am not saying there is no way Reggie starts, but the notion that there is no one else who can play 2-guard is just plain wrong. In fact, one could argue that Carolina has more talent and ability on the wing than any other position on the floor.

Unfortunately the vast majority of that talent belongs to Harrison Barnes. The Heels had better hope that Bullock has some of the remainder.

JasonEvans
07-22-2010, 04:48 PM
I have a hard time disagreeing with any of what you say here, Duvall. I think I just come from the standpoint that Bullock is not all that great and Graves, as a senior, will get to start. I agree that Graves will be Barnes' primary backup, but I expect Barnes to play 33-35 minutes per game so Graves is gonna do a lot of other stuff besides backing him up.

--Jason "I don't like Bullock, he's too much of a woofer" Evans

ACCBBallFan
07-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Jaosn, I think the poster was referring to the need to back up Henson at PF, not Barnes at WF where Bullock would be an option. On the former, I think except when fouls mount, the tandem of Zeller and Knox will play when Henson is not in game.

I agree with you on Graves with the caveat that Barnes is the SG and Graves the WF, a posiition where ACC is lightest except for Singler, Barnes and possibly CJ Leslie or Scotty Wood. Harrison also likes to leak out to get quick dunk a ploy UNC may need to manufacture offense.

Kyle Singler Duke 6' 08" 230
Harrison Barnes UNC 6' 08" 209
Seth Curry Duke 6' 01" 175
Corey Raji BC 6' 06" 218
J.T. Thompson VaT 6' 06" 210
Andre Dawkins Duke 6' 04" 190
Terrell Bell VaT 6' 06" 205
C.J. Leslie NC St 6' 09" 205
Scott Wood NC St 6' 07" 170
Michael Snaer FSU 6' 05" 200
Will Graves UNC 6' 06" 240
Cliff Tucker MD 6' 06" 205
DeQuan Jones Miami 6' 06" 219
Milton Jennings Clemson 6' 09" 225
C.J. Williams NC St 6' 06" 218
Glen Rice Jr. GaT 6' 05" 195
Mustapha Farrakhan UVA 6' 04" 178
Brian Oliver GaT 6' 06" 220
Ari Stewart WF 6' 07" 205

Graves can't guard Snaer but in that instance he could guard Dulkys with Barnes on Snaer.

The relatively weak WF ACC competition is also why I think Duke could sometimes go small with Curry at WF and Singler at PF but that has already been discussed at length.

verga
07-22-2010, 11:46 PM
until tonight my comparison of Bullock & Dawkins would be right on. Tonight Dawkins was great, his shot was falling and he actually drove to the basket once. The reason i said, i thought Bullock had passed Andre was because of Andre's inability to handle the ball, tonight didn't do a lot to change my opinion. Andre is a great spot up shooter but his handle and defense do not seem to be improved over last year. While Bullock is a good shooter, i still think Andre is a better one. The edge goes to Bullock, in my opinion because he's doing the little things that Andre is not. The times i've seen Bullock this summer, he's handled the ball better than i remember him doing in hs and he's playing great defense. These are things that Andre can improve on but i haven't seen it yet from him. Perhaps his offensive performance tonight will encourage him to apply his skills to the other things in his game that are missing. In regard to whether Bullock will start, i would think that he would be more valuable coming off the bench behind Graves, it looks to me like Barnes will play the 2/3 with Bullock subbing for both Barnes and Graves. As with all my post's, it's only my opinion.

-bdbd
07-23-2010, 04:32 AM

Great explanation Jason. I've been feeling like there's waaay too much respect being given on these boards to the team that finished one game (!) out of last place last year. :confused: Yes, there is an influx of talent, but 1. they are freshmen, and 2. NC@ch also lost some significant talent to xfer and graduation/NBA. I think the casual observer here, and most heel fans, seem to be EXPECTING things to go back to the same-ole ACC with the two powerhouses 7 miles apart vying with each for dominance once again in '10 - '11. I'm not dismissing them at all, but normally rebuilding from disasters like that take a couple/few years. 'thinking of Duke in the mid-90's... As stated elsewhere, I'd love to see them starting a bunch of frosh and sophs ...but it's very unlikey.

What is the over/under on the fanbase meltdown as they realize this squad is very young and likely won't contend for ACC leadership this year??? I'm thinking mid-January.

But to your point, they are going to be depending a LOT on these three freshmen in any event. That means some ups and downs most likely. I agree that it is presumtuous to expect more than one frosh to start, at least before mid-January. Good discussion though.

-BDBD :cool:

DukieInBrasil
07-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Yes, there is an influx of talent, but 1. they are freshmen, and 2. NC@ch also lost some significant talent to xfer and graduation/NBA.

What is the over/under on the fanbase meltdown as they realize this squad is very young and likely won't contend for ACC leadership this year??? I'm thinking mid-January.

But to your point, they are going to be depending a LOT on these three freshmen in any event. That means some ups and downs most likely. I agree that it is presumtuous to expect more than one frosh to start, at least before mid-January. Good discussion though.

True, they will be very young and the exodus of so many players, some more talented than others, means that they will have very little in the way of upperclassmen, which usually gets equated with leadership. LD II will be a Jr. and Graves will be a Sr. as will Knox who transferred in. The oft injured Zeller will be a Jr., but has played so little that he doesn't really have 2 years of experience. Who else can they look to for seasoned experience?
Henson, HB and maybe even Bullock, all seem to possess, at the least, above ACC-average talent, but as last year's version of UNC proves, it takes more than talent to win games.

sandinmyshoes
07-23-2010, 10:17 AM
When it comes to leadership for this season's UNC team, don't be surprised if Williams puts the ball in Kendall Marshall's hands. If Drew can't get it done, I think Williams will take the gamble.

Among my fellow Dukies, Marshall is easily the most underrated player coming into the league this year. Just an okay athlete, but a great passer and simply possessing that thing called "it". He just gets the game. He understands it. It comes naturally to him. He is not as quick as Ed Cota, but passes as well and appears to have a much, much better attitude and desire. That is to say, he's not as lazy as Cota seemed to me.

On defense, he'll be as good as his teammates can make him. He'll be vulnerable to one-on-one burns, but should flourish in a team defense with his knowledge and anticipation of the game.

I was really hoping Duke would get involved with him, though certainly not at the expense of Kyrie, who is THE perfect fit for us this year. In fact, Kyrie is why I think we sweep them this year. But, they won't have to face too many Kyrie Irvings out there this year.

oldnavy
07-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Great explanation Jason. I've been feeling like there's waaay too much respect being given on these boards to the team that finished one game (!) out of last place last year. :confused: Yes, there is an influx of talent, but 1. they are freshmen, and 2. NC@ch also lost some significant talent to xfer and graduation/NBA. I think the casual observer here, and most heel fans, seem to be EXPECTING things to go back to the same-ole ACC with the two powerhouses 7 miles apart vying with each for dominance once again in '10 - '11. I'm not dismissing them at all, but normally rebuilding from disasters like that take a couple/few years. 'thinking of Duke in the mid-90's... As stated elsewhere, I'd love to see them starting a bunch of frosh and sophs ...but it's very unlikey.

I have to agree. We have no idea how well Bullock will play with someone in his face all the time like he will face in the ACC. UNC does not have the guards that will be able to penetrate and draw double teams to kick it out to Bullock for very many open jumpers. So will he be able to create his shot off the dribble with an ACC defender on him? Maybe, but I wouldn't make any bets just yet. With regards to the discussion about Andre's handle being weak. So what, how much will he need to dribble with KI, NS, SC and Tyler Thornton in the back court. Unlike Bullock, we will have several guards that will be able to beat the primary defender off the dribble and draw a wing defender in which will allow Andre to have open looks. If the defenders stay home, then KI or NS will just take it to the rim and score or drop off to MP1 or MP2 for an easy basket. To me it all revolves around the PG play as to how well either Andre or Bullock are able to get open looks. I give the decided advantage to Andre.