PDA

View Full Version : Mason can dunk too

striker219
07-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Miles had his thread about dunking over 5 kids, and as it turns out Mason does a pretty good job of getting airborne too.

THIS (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/13505/mason-plumlee-is-good-at-jumping) goes to an ESPN blog post that links to THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGdT6KC9gyc&feature=youtu.be) video.

Not too shabby.

uh_no
07-21-2010, 05:52 PM
lol

ryan kelley is just standing there like "what do i do now"

chillfan23
07-21-2010, 06:10 PM
he gets up Here (http://www.crazie-talk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mason11.jpg) too

ChicagoCrazy84
07-21-2010, 06:54 PM
All-American maybe.
Lotto pick-most definitely

If Mason stayed for his junior year, I think talking All American is definitely warranted, but we're stacked this year so 3rd team All ACC is a more appropriate goal :D

Lottery pick? He'll be picked before Nolan and probably right around Singler... so yes. :D

MisterRoddy
07-21-2010, 07:08 PM
To give my honest opinion, Mason would be better served staying at least three years. He would really have to develop either a consistent jump shot or an effective post game. I'm not so sure he has either right now. Just because you are athletic doesn't make you automatically NBA-ready. I am really hoping that Mason's jumper has developed or can develop well enough so that he can make it consistently, otherwise, if he leaves after his Sophmore year (w/o a jumper or post game), I'm not so sure of how successful he will be.

Cockabeau
07-21-2010, 07:32 PM
A refined jumpshot would be nice because that would really help mason's face up game. However I really think Mason needs to develop a go to move in the interior. Many times last year we saw Mason ability to drive to the goal only to force an ugly shot and come up empty.

gep
07-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Miles had his thread about dunking over 5 kids, and as it turns out Mason does a pretty good job of getting airborne too.

THIS (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/13505/mason-plumlee-is-good-at-jumping) goes to an ESPN blog post that links to THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGdT6KC9gyc&feature=youtu.be) video.

Not too shabby.

Wow... that video makes the rim look like 8 or 9 feet... not 10 feet. Looks like his elbow is at rim-level... and so effortless (it appears)

jjh1080
07-22-2010, 09:05 AM
ryan kelley is just standing there like "what do i do now"

No way Ryan Kelly gets on the court playing that kind of defense.

uh_no
07-22-2010, 09:16 AM
No way Ryan Kelly gets on the court playing that kind of defense.

i'm not sure how you defend THAT

DukieBoy
07-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Here is a screen shot of Mason at probably his highest point of the dunk

http://i29.tinypic.com/34fy3wp.jpg

jjh1080
07-22-2010, 09:41 PM
i'm not sure how you defend THAT

First, by not looking like you are lost.
Secondly, by knowing where your guy is at.
Lastly, by moving to get between your man and the ball. Doing the first thing you are taught when coached how to play defense.

That is not the defense Coach K teaches nor accepts. Do you think Duke will win a national title playing defense like that?

SMO
07-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Lastly, by moving to get between your man and the ball. Doing the first thing you are taught when coached how to play defense.

That is not the defense Coach K teaches nor accepts. Do you think Duke will win a national title playing defense like that?

Well, that settles it. Kelly should sit the first 4 games for not playing solid D on one play during summer ball. When are these kids gonna learn?

jjh1080
07-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Well, that settles it. Kelly should sit the first 4 games for not playing solid D on one play during summer ball. When are these kids gonna learn?

Seriously, if this was a UNC guy, you would be talking about how bad he got burned, laughing at him.

People have been here talking about how Kelly is bulked up and playing great, showing a video of his new, improved performance. In watching the video, it is surprising how no one, who thinks Kelly played great, mentions he was playing against smaller, shorter guys. His bulk is a fact, he has meat on his bones, but nothing close to "bulked" up. If that is the case, then Dawkins, last season, was hulk hogan.

One video comes out with him playing, guarding a guy his size and he gets used. If that is his improved game, he still won't see much playing time.

DevilHorns
07-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Seriously, if this was a UNC guy, you would be talking about how bad he got burned, laughing at him.

People have been here talking about how Kelly is bulked up and playing great, showing a video of his new, improved performance. In watching the video, it is surprising how no one, who thinks Kelly played great, mentions he was playing against smaller, shorter guys. His bulk is a fact, he has meat on his bones, but nothing close to "bulked" up. If that is the case, then Dawkins, last season, was hulk hogan.

One video comes out with him playing, guarding a guy his size and he gets used. If that is his improved game, he still won't see much playing time.

No one's doubting the axiom: "If you can't play D, you won't get playing time" when talking about a coach K team

The issue here is: it's a summer league game, and the intensity on D is much more relaxed. Not saying that's right; that's just the way it is.
He gets blown by on this one play.

I think it's more telling to read reviews on their game (such as the one posted on the DBR home page a few days back) that give a better gestalt regarding the player... improvements, continuing issues, and the like. "Highlight" videos showcase talents and weaknesses at an exaggerated rate. It's fun to see a spectacular play simply because we're fans. Frankly, I think everyone here understands that Mason could have done this last year, and no one is commenting that this play shows he has improved his game. Similarly, this one relaxed play on D by Kelly also doesn't show that he can't play against Bigs.

SMO
07-23-2010, 09:59 AM

And if we had some fun with UNC guy getting burned it would be just that, having fun. I would not be projecting his minutes or UNC's national championship odds based on one play. Your own quote, "One video comes out" sums up how much importance we should put on this. It was one play on one video.

On a side note, I heard Nick Horvath has been tearing it up in summer league. Put him down for 20-30 min per game this season:D

pfrduke
07-23-2010, 02:39 PM

In addition to what everyone else has already said, it's impossible to assess what the defensive failure was in that play without seeing more video, because the video doesn't tell us how Mason got wide open, only that he was wide open. Perhaps Kelly got screened and no one helped. Perhaps the play was a screen-and-slip, and Kelly played high on the screen to bump the cutter, expecting the other defender to go under, and both guys got left out top. Or, perhaps he did just screw up, look the wrong way on an inbounds pass, and got beat.

Also, we did win a national title last year, and I guarantee you we got embarrassed on at least 5-10 inbounds plays last season. Georgia Tech, if I recall, really worked us on inbounds passes during the game in Atlanta. Stuff like that just happens.

Richard Berg
07-23-2010, 09:03 PM
One video comes out with him playing, guarding a guy his size and he gets used.
Even when he first arrived on campus, Kelly was a pretty decent defender. If you want video evidence, go watch the Gonzaga game.