PDA

View Full Version : PreDraft Camp: Actual Height, Weight, Wingspan, etc out yet?

Maltedone
05-29-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm always intrigued to see the results of the physicals from the predraft camp. I looked around a bit, but haven't seen this years. Has anybody seen these data yet?

maltedone

SilkyJ
05-29-2007, 03:33 PM
If the pre-draft camp started today then it should be soon, IIRC. It is usually posted on ESPN Insider, so you need a subscription to view it. I'll be curious to see what Josh comes in at...I think he is bigger/tougher/stronger than most give him credit for...

madscavenger
05-29-2007, 04:15 PM
What do they do to measure mental toughness (now be good - don't take this the wrong way)?

SilkyJ
05-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Zing!

I just heard a lot of people criticize his defense, and I thought it was pretty good, and I thought it was because he was thicker and stronger than most gave him credit for...

I think Josh would have the ability to be a 4 and spell at the 5, or even play it well in a small ball lineup - kinda like sheld. WAIT - not comparing the two in terms of skills, etc. Only comparing where they fit in terms of position: both fit naturally at thel 4, but both have the ability to backup at the 5: Sheld b/c of his strength and thickness, Josh because of his height/athleticism.

Not gonna take the bait on the rest of it, sorry ;) but I'm sure others will

Dukerati
05-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Say what you will about Josh, but I, for one, always thought he WANTED to win and tried his heart out to win every game. That's more than a certain NBA superstar has been showing this season.... for that, Josh earns plenty of platitudes from a mental standpoint in my book.

dukechem
05-29-2007, 05:42 PM
I've been wondering about this ever since McRoberts declared for the draft, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I apologize if I missed it.

Did McRoberts finish out the year at Duke? I'm curious about how he affects Duke's academic performance rating with the NCAA.

bhd28
05-29-2007, 05:49 PM
He did finish out the year. I saw him around campus.

kydevil
05-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Say what you will about Josh, but I, for one, always thought he WANTED to win and tried his heart out to win every game. That's more than a certain NBA superstar has been showing this season.... for that, Josh earns plenty of platitudes from a mental standpoint in my book.

I also thought he liked getting on his teammates just a little too much?

madscavenger
05-29-2007, 09:08 PM
What do they do to measure mental toughness (now be good - don't take this the wrong way)?

Okay, let me define this a little better. I'm not talking about effort and i'm not simply speaking of desire. Some special players have that intangible ability to "not let you lose". Laettner, as an example, had it in college. Jordan and Havlicek had it. Some have it on defense, others exhibit it on offense. Not all are superstars, e.g. many believe Battier qualifies.

So, how many times did Josh take it on himself to make a crucial play to pull out a win in the last few seconds? There were quite a few opportunities and i give him credit for taking on a lot of them. On most of those efforts (almost all i'm sorry to say), he did not convert. He missed THE shot a number of times. Noone will forget that pass from under our basket directly to an opponent for an open 3 with 5 seconds left. Where was his focus? His awareness should have been in a zone with the game on the line in that situation. That was not the mark of someone who would do anything to win, IMO of course. In fact, focusing for the complete 40 minutes clearly was a problem he exhibited, even in a big game.

My initial question as to how do prospective teams measure mental toughness, i feel, was a legitimate inquiry, as the only measurement i could think of is in retrospect, i.e., whether the individual took on the responsibility AND most of the time came through. I know this can be looked at trivially as merely being a statistic, however in reality history is what it is, not what it could have been. So, what can a team do other than that to enhance their confidence that they are chosing someone that is mentally tough. That is my question. Maybe it is not as important in the League, but my guess would be it is, considering how even the worst players there are the cream of the crop and have to be very good at virtually every facet of the game (and bring it everyday if the team is to be a consistent winner). The champions have a player or two who "won't let you lose" - thats the difference maker in college as well as the pros. So, any insight on this or is it considered unmeasureable?

jaimedun34
05-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Sorry, wrong thread.

I can't excuse McRoberts's attitude... I don't think it's far to say that Josh wanted to win more than Paulus, Nelson, Scheyer, etc... Those players didn't act like babies when things weren't going their way.

SilkyJ
06-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Here are the results. Like always, you have to be an ESPN Insider to view it:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2893057&name=ford_chad

McBob came in at 6' 8.75" w/o shoes and an even 6'10" with them, weighin 240lbs. Looks like Duke listed him accurately.

He came in as the 58th best athelete in the draft (this is normal, b/c these tests favor wing guards, not big men) which was ahead of Oden: 62, and Durant: 78, Brandan Wright: 61, and Julian Wright: 696, among others.

The most impressive number, IMO, is Conley who came in as the 5th best athlete, and did 13 reps on the bench press, which was the 5th highest, and actually one better than McBob, who did 12 (6th best overall), tied with Joakim Noah.

-Ben

Lord Ash
06-05-2007, 10:35 AM
I have to say, I am slightly shocked; I would have expected Josh to be FAR FAR FAR ahead of Big Daddy Oden.

freedevil
06-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I can't believe no one is interested in Brandan Wright bench pressing 185 lbs. TWICE.

That is absurd. I have a dog that can bench press 185 more than that.

juise
06-05-2007, 10:58 AM
The list of results is also available here. (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2095)

Jaymf7
06-05-2007, 11:17 AM
I have to say, I am slightly shocked; I would have expected Josh to be FAR FAR FAR ahead of Big Daddy Oden.

In fact, Oden's numbers were severely affected by his decision to skip the bench press test due to concerns about his wrist (giving him a zero to weigh down his scores). If he had done that, he would have been near the top of the list -- and very far ahead of McRoberts.

McRoberts was very average among the bigs, which was quite different than his reputation. More surprising, though, was Durant's very poor showing. He was at the bottom of almost every test, beating out only Spencer Hawes in several tests. He still has game, though.

SilkyJ
06-05-2007, 11:22 AM

I can't believe no one is interested in Brandan Wright bench pressing 185 lbs. TWICE.

I dont agree that I expected McBob to be wayyyy ahead of Oden, but definitely ahead. Odean is a freak of nature man, he can really sky and he is really quick for his size.

Chad Ford did comment on 3 or 4 people who tested below average, and B Wright and McBob were two of them...another was Durant who couldn't get 1 rep of 185lbs

Jaymf7
06-05-2007, 11:25 AM
The list of results is also available here. (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2095)

Based on this list, Josh had the highest percentage of body fat (by a decent margin) of all those tested. Glen Davis was not on the list. Not a great sign, though.

Saratoga2
06-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Predictions:

Next year we will learn Demarcus Nelson is 6' 2 3/4", has a great wingspan, has a decent but not great jump and can do 20 bench press reps. Against this years crowd, he would come out as a good athlete but primarily a point guard prospect due to his size. Ball handling is not one of his great strengths so in my opinion, he will find it difficult to land on a team.

mapei
06-05-2007, 01:17 PM
DJ Strawberry ranked #1. Who knew?

kexman
06-05-2007, 02:17 PM
"His wingspan is 7 feet, 4.25 inches (fourth best in the draft). His standing reach is 9 feet, 4 inches (the highest of anyone in the draft). His standing vertical is 32 inches, his running vertical 34 inches."

I don't know anything about this, but I would think running would add more than 2 inches to a vertical. He's still a freak, but that surprised me..although I'm not sure if that is one step or as many as you like. 7.8% body fat was impressive as well!!!

sagegrouse
06-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Last year, IIRC, JJ was the only player with a wingspan (6-2.5) less than his barefoot height (6-4). This year, no one has a shorter wingspan than height.

Sage Grouse:)

bhd28
06-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I would agree that you would think the run would add more than 2 inches to the vertical. They often talk about one and 2 foot jumpers. There is also a decent amount of 'skill' to the vertical. It is a measure of explosiveness, but your technique can make a big difference. Things to keep in mind... 1) how often will Oden be jumping while running? Most of his offensive and defensive attempts will be while moving minimally. Even in help defense he will just take a step or two and jump. So basically only in fast-breaks will he run and jump. 2) 9'4" + ~34" = 12'2"... wow. 3) Watching Oden jump, he just looks explosive. Remember the ally that he took away from Hendo in the McD game? Think of some of the blocks he had at the ends of games... how high he got.

The kid has a ton of explosiveness... so the vertical stuff didn't surprise me. The agility did. I wonder if he 'looked' slow at times because he was still trying to figure things out offensively and defensively since he didn't get to play the summer or fall. If so, once he really learns his offense and defensive schemes (in the even more complicated NBA), his impact should be even more impressive.

Saratoga2
06-05-2007, 03:59 PM
"His wingspan is 7 feet, 4.25 inches (fourth best in the draft). His standing reach is 9 feet, 4 inches (the highest of anyone in the draft). His standing vertical is 32 inches, his running vertical 34 inches."

I don't know anything about this, but I would think running would add more than 2 inches to a vertical. He's still a freak, but that surprised me..although I'm not sure if that is one step or as many as you like. 7.8% body fat was impressive as well!!!

What does his wingspan vs his standing reach tell you? Does he have long arms and narrow shoulders?

Dukebacker
06-05-2007, 04:40 PM

The fact he has extremely long arms doesn't help...but he should be able to do more then that especially if he wants to body up against the bigger players in the NBA

Shaq would have a field day on him.

phaedrus
06-05-2007, 06:53 PM
how many times could shaq bench press brandan wright?

cato
06-05-2007, 07:26 PM
how many times could shaq bench press brandan wright?

More importantly, how many times could FDA bench Shaq?