PDA

View Full Version : Cutcliffe's Plan

CameronBornAndBred
07-20-2010, 09:14 PM
"I hear two things that people always say: 'You play football at Duke?' and 'Duke football is the worst football in the BCS.' We are better than that. No one questions that now. And wait until they see us in a few seasons."

Nice interview here with Coach Cut, laying out his thoughts for Duke's bright future.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=5394273

Acymetric
07-21-2010, 01:06 AM
I saw that article and was going to post it later, haha...looks like someone beat me to it. Seeing that kind of positive press from an outside source is a pretty big deal considering where we came from. Makes me feel like we're really on the right path...the coaches and players certainly seem to feel that way. "[The players] have a little swag about them now." What a great quote from Coach Cut...we definitely didn't have any swag a few years ago!

Is it September yet?

4decadedukie
07-21-2010, 08:17 AM
I loved the ESPN article/interview with Coach Cut, and I ardently believe that (with the strong support of University officials and Trustees) he is executing an intelligent multi-year recovery plan very well. The impending season will teach our freshman- and sophomore-dominated team difficult, important lessons. I believe we play five -- that's more than half of our schedule -- top 25 rated teams (four of whom are Divisional rivals). That will challenge Duke's football program, but it is likely also to provide a foundation for continued growth and notable success in future years.

Further, I could not agree more that Duke's distinction -- especially academically -- can become a strong recruiting and playing advantage. Stanford and Notre Dame (historically) provide examples of this.

Duke football once was a juggernaut. It did not decline in a few years, but rather in decades. And our recovery will require many seasons; however, we -- thanks principally to Coach Cut -- have regained momentum and are on a solid path forward. The last two years' W&L results are encouraging, recruiting is impressive, and -- most important -- the the spirit of the team and the support it receives from various Duke constituencies is greatly improved.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-21-2010, 09:16 AM
I believe we play five -- that's more than half of our schedule -- top 25 rated teams (four of whom are Divisional rivals).
Your point is well taken but your math is a bit off ;) We play 12 games this season, so 5 is less than half. http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22666

uh_no
07-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Your point is well taken but your math is a bit off ;) We play 12 games this season, so 5 is less than half. http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22666

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure we'll be playing 13 games this season....if not 14.....therefore 5 is even further from 1/2

Acymetric
07-21-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure we'll be playing 13 games this season....if not 14.....therefore 5 is even further from 1/2

Now this is the kind of attitude I like to see!