PDA

View Full Version : 2010-11 Pre-Season All-Americans

tommy
07-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Not that Pre-Season All-Americans matter much, but it's July, two of our major remaining 2011 recruiting targets don't seem ready to make decisions anytime soon, so what the hey. It's slow.

Seems to me that Singler is a lock for first team, and really I'd be pretty surprised if Nolan wasn't on there too. I checked the end-of-season AP All-American teams from last year, and all 15 players on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams have taken their talents to the NBA, or are at least trying to. Nobody's left.

Who else are the candidates for first team? Lacedarius Dunn I think is a lock. Jacob Pullen of K-State should have a good chance. He was very tough in the tournament and a lot of people saw him come up very big in some big games there. Kailin Lucas, depending on the achilles? Robbie Hummel, depending on the knee? Malcolm Delaney? Who else?

And Duke surely must've had seasons past in which we've had 2 guys on pre-season A-A, right?

MisterRoddy
07-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Not that Pre-Season All-Americans matter much, but it's July, two of our major remaining 2011 recruiting targets don't seem ready to make decisions anytime soon, so what the hey. It's slow.

Seems to me that Singler is a lock for first team, and really I'd be pretty surprised if Nolan wasn't on there too. I checked the end-of-season AP All-American teams from last year, and all 15 players on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams have taken their talents to the NBA, or are at least trying to. Nobody's left.

Who else are the candidates for first team? Lacedarius Dunn I think is a lock. Jacob Pullen of K-State should have a good chance. He was very tough in the tournament and a lot of people saw him come up very big in some big games there. Kailin Lucas, depending on the achilles? Robbie Hummel, depending on the knee? Malcolm Delaney? Who else?

And Duke surely must've had seasons past in which we've had 2 guys on pre-season A-A, right?

I think Kyle and Nolan are shoo-ins for First team. Dunn also will probably get a spot. I think if VT is a comfortable Top 25 team, Delaney has a chance.

If Jared Sullinger is all he's cracked up to be, he might have a shot.

Some sleepers who have a shot at being All Americans: Jajuan Johnson, Marcus Morris, Will Buford, Kyrie Irving, Harrison Barnes, Jimmer Fredette, E'twuan Moore, Demetri McCamey, Tracey Smith.

RoyalBlue08
07-19-2010, 11:12 PM

Off the top of my head (and being too lazy to look anything up), I'm sure JJ and Shelden were pre-season AA their senior years. And we probably had more than two in 2002 (or at least we should have!)

Wander
07-19-2010, 11:30 PM
I think Kyle and Nolan are shoo-ins for First team. Dunn also will probably get a spot. I think if VT is a comfortable Top 25 team, Delaney has a chance.

Nolan isn't a lock for 1st team - remember, Delaney finished significantly higher than him in ACC voting last year - but it's possible, and he certainly won't be left off the teams altogether.

Pullen, Singler, and probably Dunn are locks for the preseason 1st team. After that I'd guess Hummel and Mack, but it's up in the air.

MisterRoddy
07-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Nolan isn't a lock for 1st team - remember, Delaney finished significantly higher than him in ACC voting last year - but it's possible, and he certainly won't be left off the teams altogether.

Pullen, Singler, and probably Dunn are locks for the preseason 1st team. After that I'd guess Hummel and Mack, but it's up in the air.

Why would you think Pullen is a lock and Nolan isn't, that makes no sense to me. Nolan stepped up his game monstrously last year and I expect another step up this year (especially since he won't have to conserve energy since we actually have depth this year). Duke will be at the top of the rankings all year and Nolan being one of the top players on the team will definitely help his stock in being first team All American, in which I think he would have a good chance anyway.

Kedsy
07-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Why would you think Pullen is a lock and Nolan isn't, that makes no sense to me.

Nobody is a lock to be first team All American. We'll just have to wait and see.

Cameron
07-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Heading into the 2001-02 season, I believe Jason Williams and Mike Dunleavy were first team All-American selections in the pre-season. Carlos Boozer was right there on the pre-season lists as well, although I'm not sure which one.

Wander
07-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Nobody is a lock to be first team All American. We'll just have to wait and see.

Well, my comment only applies to preseason teams - and Singler is definitely a lock for preseason 1st team.

Why would you think Pullen is a lock and Nolan isn't, that makes no sense to me. Nolan stepped up his game monstrously last year and I expect another step up this year (especially since he won't have to conserve energy since we actually have depth this year). Duke will be at the top of the rankings all year and Nolan being one of the top players on the team will definitely help his stock in being first team All American, in which I think he would have a good chance anyway.

Nolan is excellent. So is Pullen. They may both be there. But I expect that if only one of them makes the preseason 1st team, it will be Pullen - mostly due to the "MVP factor" (Kansas State needs him a lot more than Duke needs Nolan). He was also arguably the best player in the NCAA tournament last year through the first four rounds. Nolan will be on one of the teams for sure though.

MisterRoddy
07-20-2010, 01:04 AM

Yes, we are talking about Pre-Season.

Nolan is excellent. So is Pullen. They may both be there. But I expect that if only one of them makes the preseason 1st team, it will be Pullen - mostly due to the "MVP factor" (Kansas State needs him a lot more than Duke needs Nolan). He was also probably the best player in the NCAA tournament last year through the first four rounds. Nolan will be on one of the teams for sure though.

You make a good argument, I just don't think that Pullen is a lock and Nolan isn't, they are both great players that have a great shot at the first team, Nolan being one of the top options on last years National Champion helps his case, Pullen being the number one on his team helps his.

flyingdutchdevil
07-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Yes, we are talking about Pre-Season.

You make a good argument, I just don't think that Pullen is a lock and Nolan isn't, they are both great players that have a great shot at the first team, Nolan being one of the top options on last years National Champion helps his case, Pullen being the number one on his team helps his.

I just don't see 2 players from the same team being 1st team pre-season All-Americans. The last time this happened on any team was 2005-2006 with Redick and Shelden. Even two years ago, with that ridiculously talented UNC team, Lawson was a 2nd team pre-season All-American. The problem is that talented players on a talented team often cancel each other out. While unfair, it's just the way that the voters view it. They see Nolan as the second-best player on a ridiculously talented team but feel that 1st bananas on other good teams, even if less talented than Nolan, deserve to be on the 1st team.

Personally, I agree with you - Nolan deserves 1st team pre-season honors. But I would be pleasantly surprised if that actually happened.

airowe
07-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Here's Dickie V's take on the All-Americans:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/news/story?id=5382688

superdave
07-20-2010, 08:37 AM
I have never been that impressed by Robbie Hummel. He seems like a slightly better version of Joe Trapagni. Their conference is weak and he is not the type of guy to carry a team against tough competition. I dont see it...

Big Pappa
07-20-2010, 09:40 AM
If Jared Sullinger is all he's cracked up to be, he might have a shot.

Some sleepers who have a shot at being All Americans: Jajuan Johnson, Marcus Morris, Will Buford, Kyrie Irving, Harrison Barnes, Jimmer Fredette, E'twuan Moore, Demetri McCamey, Tracey Smith.

I think by the end of the year Sullinger, KI, and certainly HB will be in the running for All-American. The only one who is hyped (and in the right position on his team) enough to be a Preseason AA pick is HB. I think the first team will look like this:

Lacedarius Dunn - Baylor
Jimmer Fredette - BYU
Kyle Singler - Duke
Malcolm Delaney - Va Tech
Robbie Hummel - Purdue

2nd Team:

Nolan Smith - Duke
Harrison Barnes - UNC
Jacob Pullen - Kansas State
Kalin Lucas - Mich. State
JuJaun Johnson - Purdue

roywhite
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
I think by the end of the year Sullinger, KI, and certainly HB will be in the running for All-American. The only one who is hyped (and in the right position on his team) enough to be a Preseason AA pick is HB. I think the first team will look like this:

Lacedarius Dunn - Baylor
Jimmer Fredette - BYU
Kyle Singler - Duke
Malcolm Delaney - Va Tech
Robbie Hummel - Purdue

2nd Team:

Nolan Smith - Duke
Harrison Barnes - UNC
Jacob Pullen - Kansas State
Kalin Lucas - Mich. State
JuJaun Johnson - Purdue

Seems reasonable, but that's not much size on the first two teams. Johnson would be the only inside player of the bunch.

Any other big guys out there who could break into the mix?

Kanter maybe?

airowe
07-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I think by the end of the year Sullinger, KI, and certainly HB will be in the running for All-American. The only one who is hyped (and in the right position on his team) enough to be a Preseason AA pick is HB.

Welcome back, Big Pappa!

I'm curious as to what you mean by your statement in parentheses "and in the right position on his team". I think Barnes' position (small forward) will be the major impediment to him putting up All-American numbers. Roy's system does not feature the small forward like K's ever-changing system often does. Because of that, I like Singler's chances for at least 1st team All-American, if not the player of the year.

I agree with most others on here that Pullen, Dunn, Singler, and Nolan Smith will finish on one of the Top 2 teams. Hummel and Kalin Lucas' injuries make me wary of placing them on that pedestal this early. Especially Lucas with his achilles heel, that thing could bother him all year.

jimrowe0
07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Welcome back, Big Pappa!

I'm curious as to what you mean by your statement in parentheses "and in the right position on his team". I think Barnes' position (small forward) will be the major impediment to him putting up All-American numbers. Roy's system does not feature the small forward like K's ever-changing system often does. Because of that, I like Singler's chances for at least 1st team All-American, if not the player of the year.

I agree with most others on here that Pullen, Dunn, Singler, and Nolan Smith will finish on one of the Top 2 teams. Hummel and Kalin Lucas' injuries make me wary of placing them on that pedestal this early. Especially Lucas with his achilles heel, that thing could bother him all year.

I agree, however I think that Roy will try to run their offensive sets likely through Barnes. So, I do think Barnes will make 2nd or 3rd team All-American.

CDu
07-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Welcome back, Big Pappa!

I still disagree with this bolded statement. I don't think Williams's system impedes or enhances any position other than the PG spot (it magnifies the PG spot). I think the bigger issue is that Williams hasn't had a ton of elite SF prospects. When he has (Paul Pierce, for example), that player thrived. But he's often only had more complementary players at the SF position. I believe that Barnes is on a short list of top recruits for Williams at the SF position.

I agree with the second paragraph. Those guys all have strong cases for making the team.

Big Pappa
07-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Welcome back, Big Pappa!

Thanks it's good to be back.

By "position on his team" I simply meant his apparent call to carry the Heels this coming year. IMO Prince Harry will be getting the ball all over the floor and given the green light from everywhere. If their PG troubles continue I could easily see him bringing the ball up the floor. So, what I meant wasn't so much position on the floor, it was more his role on his team.

ACCBBallFan
07-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Here's Dickie V's take on the All-Americans:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/news/story?id=5382688

The two guys Dickie V ought to move up are Wright and Mack but being from mid majors hurts their national recognition and he already had a guy from BYU and one from Zags.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/news/story?id=5364104

airowe
07-20-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree, however I think that Roy will try to run their offensive sets likely through Barnes. So, I do think Barnes will make 2nd or 3rd team All-American.

I'm sorry I brought this up, and I don't want to hijack this thread. I'll just stop and say I don't think Barnes will be on the 1st or 2nd All-American Team when the season is over.

CDu
07-20-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry I brought this up, and I don't want to hijack this thread. I'll just stop and say I don't think Barnes will be on the 1st or 2nd All-American Team when the season is over.

I agree with that (for reasons other than Williams's system).

uh_no
07-20-2010, 11:23 AM
kemba walker....though everyone here hates anyone who goes to uconn.....so i doubt anyone will think of him as a viable candidate

NSDukeFan
07-20-2010, 11:31 AM
kemba walker....though everyone here hates anyone who goes to uconn.....so i doubt anyone will think of him as a viable candidate

I was just noticing how there seem to be few people mentioned from the Big East in the pre-season lists people have given. I expect when all is said and done, there will be at least a couple of players from the Big East on the top 3 all-America teams. I think there are a number of all-Big East players returning this year, including Walker, Austin Freeman (G'town), Ashton Gibbs (Pitt), Hazell? (S.Hall), etc.

Duvall
07-20-2010, 11:39 AM

Well, that and the fact that he's not that good. What exactly does he do better than Nolan Smith, Kalin Lucas, Jacob Pullen, Jimmer Fredette or LaceDarius Dunn?

flyingdutchdevil
07-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Well, that and the fact that he's not that good. What exactly does he do better than Nolan Smith, Kalin Lucas, Jacob Pullen, Jimmer Fredette or LaceDarius Dunn?

He's the fastest of the bunch and if he learns to control his speed, he'll be insane. Also, I'd say he has more potential than any of the other players.

Duvall
07-20-2010, 12:02 PM
He's the fastest of the bunch and if he learns to control his speed, he'll be insane. Also, I'd say he has more potential than any of the other players.

Yes, but the other players have shown superior skill at actually playing basketball. It's not a track meet. Let the NBA worry about potential.

flyingdutchdevil
07-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Yes, but the other players have shown superior skill at actually playing basketball. It's not a track meet. Let the NBA worry about potential.

Remember Nolan's transition from Soph to Junior? What's to say Walker doesn't go through that as well? Also, the Big East is significantly weaker this year compared to last, meaning that a very good talent can easily be perceived as "great".

I'm not saying Kemba will be the second coming of Nolan, but he has the tools to be an All-American.

tommy
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Remember Nolan's transition from Soph to Junior? What's to say Walker doesn't go through that as well? Also, the Big East is significantly weaker this year compared to last, meaning that a very good talent can easily be perceived as "great".

I'm not saying Kemba will be the second coming of Nolan, but he has the tools to be an All-American.

If Walker has the kind of season then sure, he'll be a candidate for A-A teams named at the end of the year. But we're talking about pre-season A-A here, and I don't think many voters will put him in the class of Nolan, Pullen, Dunn, Fredette, Delaney, and Lucas when it comes to the ranking of quality guards going into the season.

I think it'll be:
Singler, Dunn and Pullen for sure.

Hummel.

And then either Nolan or Fredette for the final spot.

ACCBBallFan
07-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Looking at who is scrimmaging versus Team USA might be a good starter list for potential All Americans

Named to the 2010 USA Basketball Select squad were (alpha order):
Lavoy Allen (Temple University);
William Buford (Ohio State University);
LaceDarius Dunn (Baylor University);
Jimmer Fredette (Brigham Young University);
Scotty Hopson (University of Tennessee);
Scoop Jardine (Syracuse University);
JaJuan Johnson (Purdue University);
Jon Leuer (University of Wisconsin);
Shelvin Mack (Butler University);
Marcus Morris (University of Kansas);
Jacob Pullen (Kansas State University);
John Shurna (Northwestern University);
Kyle Singler (Duke University);
Chris Singleton (Florida State University);
Nolan Smith (Duke University );
Howard Thompkins (University of Georgia);
Mike Tisdale (University of Illinois);
Kemba Walker (University of Connecticut);
Chris Wright (University of Dayton);
Tyler Zeller (University of North Carolina);

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/070810aaa.html

5 - B10
4 - ACC
3 - B12
2 - A10, SEC & BE
1 - MWC and Horizon

johnb
07-20-2010, 04:14 PM
In reviewing some old preseason All American teams, I see plenty of freshmen, and I think it's likely that voters might put Kyrie ahead of Nolan. I'd tend to stick with our senior since he's a great player, a great guy, and been instrumental to our winning a championship, but external voters might look instead to our freshman as being a 2011 lottery pick and vote him in instead.

Lennies
07-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I suspect Corey Fisher from Villanova will be involved in the discussion. Scotty Reynolds has graduated and it will be Corey's team.

magjayran
07-20-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't care to speculate as to why, but I see Nolan doing everything that needs to be done to be considered a f1st Team All-American by the end of the year and getting snubbed. I really think that people under appreciate what he does for some reason.

verga
07-20-2010, 10:52 PM
when i saw Nolan at the Pro Am this year he appeared much quicker with the ball and his shot was improved I think he's going to have a great sr. year, does this mean 1st. team AA, i really don't know? One factor to consider is how good is Duke going to be this year, if they play as well as we expect, then, Nolan has an excellent chance to be 1st. team. My opinion on picking the team is, the winners get the praise and Nolan Kyrie and Kyle are going to be great, how great remains to be seen. I also think Harrison Barnes will have a great year, he's as good as anyone, i'll be interested to see how he performs with all the pressure he will be under.

flyingdutchdevil
07-21-2010, 05:36 AM
I suspect Corey Fisher from Villanova will be involved in the discussion. Scotty Reynolds has graduated and it will be Corey's team.

Ahhhh....yes. Everyone seems to forget the two Coreys. They had so much potential, especially out of high school. What happened to them? Is Jay Wright's luck running out?

kyriecrazy2013
07-21-2010, 10:19 AM
when i saw Nolan at the Pro Am this year he appeared much quicker with the ball and his shot was improved I think he's going to have a great sr. year, does this mean 1st. team AA, i really don't know? One factor to consider is how good is Duke going to be this year, if they play as well as we expect, then, Nolan has an excellent chance to be 1st. team. My opinion on picking the team is, the winners get the praise and Nolan Kyrie and Kyle are going to be great, how great remains to be seen. I also think Harrison Barnes will have a great year, he's as good as anyone, i'll be interested to see how he performs with all the pressure he will be under.

Everyone looks quicker at the Pro Am. Its honestly very hard to gauge how much a player has improved from a summer league game. But I do believe he has improved his game but I think we should be cautious in deciding that his game has taken vast bounds from a Pro Am game.

Lennies
07-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Ahhhh....yes. Everyone seems to forget the two Coreys. They had so much potential, especially out of high school. What happened to them? Is Jay Wright's luck running out?

Villanova got real disfunctional last year. There were rumors that Corey Fisher slept with Scotty Reynold's girlfriend and got her pregnant and that there had been fist fights in the locker room. The wheels definitely fell off the bus.

Corey Fisher is exceptionally strong and quick and he has a shooting stroke (40% 3FG) that you have to respect.

flyingdutchdevil
07-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Villanova got real disfunctional last year. There were rumors that Corey Fisher slept with Scotty Reynold's girlfriend and got her pregnant and that there had been fist fights in the locker room.

Definition of bad teammate: see above

MisterRoddy
07-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Everyone looks quicker at the Pro Am. Its honestly very hard to gauge how much a player has improved from a summer league game. But I do believe he has improved his game but I think we should be cautious in deciding that his game has taken vast bounds from a Pro Am game.

While, yes, a Pro-Am game isn't that high on defense, it's pretty obvious when a player has gotten better. I don't know if Nolan's game has improved by leaps and bounds but he has definitely gotten better.