PDA

View Full Version : is this stupid, or what?

grossbus
07-19-2010, 04:59 PM
The athletic director at Connecticut, which faces allegations of NCAA violations in its men's basketball program, has been picked to chair the NCAA Division I men's basketball committee.

BD80
07-19-2010, 05:12 PM
The athletic director at Connecticut, which faces allegations of NCAA violations in its men's basketball program, has been picked to chair the NCAA Division I men's basketball committee.

It is the "good ol' boy" network. He has probably been pocketing votes for years by voting for other good ol' boys and this was his year. Too many AD's "owe" him to actually do the right thing. The Big East with its 16 teams and its claim to the best basketball conference has some clout in this department.

I hope uCon gets nailed and this guy gets his shorts taken down.

Also, it would be funny for uCon to be ineligible for the post-season when the AD has the most clout in the selection/seeding/location process.

uh_no
07-19-2010, 06:32 PM
I hope uCon gets nailed and this guy gets his shorts taken down.

Also, it would be funny for uCon to be ineligible for the post-season when the AD has the most clout in the selection/seeding/location process.

1) AD's are generally not implicated when coaches are crooked.....was the AD at memphis ever accused of being at fault for caliparis BS?

2) you are required to leave the room when your team is being discussed, so its not an issue either way

Duvall
07-19-2010, 06:46 PM
1) AD's are generally not implicated when coaches are crooked.....was the AD at memphis ever accused of being at fault for caliparis BS?

2) you are required to leave the room when your team is being discussed, so its not an issue either way

Who said anything about being implicated? The point is that the Connecticut athletic director was either complicit in the wrongdoing in Storrs, or too incompetent to prevent it from happening. Either way, he should not be trusted with any more responsibilities, given his inability to handle the ones that he already has.

-bdbd
07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
FWIW, he is also considered a candidate for the AD vacanacy at MD. He started out his career in their athletic department for a number of years I believe.

Gotta love the Not Completely Accountable Association (NCAA) from "promoting" the AD at a school with some history of contempt for NCAA rules.

-BD "not like this is UCONN's first violations goat rodeo recently..." BD .

:rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :p

uh_no
07-20-2010, 06:16 PM
FWIW, he is also considered a candidate for the AD vacanacy at MD. He started out his career in their athletic department for a number of years I believe.

Gotta love the Not Completely Accountable Association (NCAA) from "promoting" the AD at a school with some history of contempt for NCAA rules.

-BD "not like this is UCONN's first violations goat rodeo recently..." BD .

:rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :p

well....he's been on the committee for years....and if they're promoting him....they must think he sucks at being on the committee.....

MartyClark
07-20-2010, 09:26 PM
This seems like a classic conflict of interest. UConn is the target of an investigation. The head of the UConn Athletic Department is now appointed to a high position within the NCAA. There are a large number of athletic directors from clean programs, and even more importantly, programs that are not currently being investigated who could fill this position.

I don't get it.

devildeac
07-20-2010, 10:01 PM
This seems like a classic conflict of interest. UConn is the target of an investigation. The head of the UConn Athletic Department is now appointed to a high position within the NCAA. There are a large number of athletic directors from clean programs, and even more importantly, programs that are not currently being investigated who could fill this position.

I don't get it.

Maybe they can make this guy CEO of espn, too.:rolleyes:

4decadedukie
07-21-2010, 08:27 AM

HOWEVER . . .

1) ADs are ALWAYS zealous in their defense of their university and its programs, regardless of their individual culpability.

2) "Leaving the room" hardly solves the problem, because of the cronyism you alluded to, the post-formal consideration discussions among committee members, and the power the Chairman has to reward or to punish other Committee members and universities.

BD80
07-21-2010, 09:16 AM
... 2) "Leaving the room" hardly solves the problem, because of the cronyism you alluded to, the post-formal consideration discussions among committee members, and the power the Chairman has to reward or to punish other Committee members and universities.

This is one of those "rules" that I find laugh-out-loud funny. It seems every year there is some issue of a committee member's school getting favorable treatment and some other committe member very earnestly recites the "leaving the room" rule to an interviewer. That sequestered member had already made it clear to other committee members his seeding/location desires. How well his school is treated while he is out of the room influences how well he will treat the schools of the other committee membrs when they are out of the room, that year and in following years.

It is not a horrible system, the publicity tempers the level of favoritism the committee will attempt.

Letting uCon's AD head the process right now does little to enhance the credibilty of the process. The fact that they kept him in the loop despite his issues demonstrates that the "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" mentality exists at that level.

devildeac
07-21-2010, 11:25 AM

Looks like probation or another set of sanctions on the horizon for Cleveland State ;>)

grossbus
07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
and a T for daniel.

uh_no
07-21-2010, 11:59 AM
This is one of those "rules" that I find laugh-out-loud funny. It seems every year there is some issue of a committee member's school getting favorable treatment and some other committe member very earnestly recites the "leaving the room" rule to an interviewer.

the committee:
DA of UCLA
DA of OSU
DA of UCONN
DA of Kent State
DA of UC Riverside
DA of UT-SA
DA of Xavier
DA of WFU
Commish of Big Sky
Commish of Big 12

lets see how their teams got seeded this past year

UCLA: not selected
OSU: 2 seed, automatic berth, made sweet 16, technically an overseed
UCONN: not selected
Kent State: not selected
UC Riverside: not selected
UT-SA: not selected
Xavier: 6 seed, reasonable, sweet 16, so technically an underseed
WFU: 9 seed, reasonable, made second round, so technically an underseed

so, of the 8 DA's on the committee, only 3 made the tournament, and all were seeded reasonably, 2 outperformed their seed, one underperformed

there are 4 BCS school guys there....2 of their teams didn't make the tournament.....

if you'd like to some examples of this cronyism, please do......becuase it clearly wasn't apparent last year....