PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Kentucky, HELP!

DukeVol
07-19-2010, 08:54 AM
DBR friends,
I'm traveling for business today and I'll be in Whitsett, NC just in time for dinner. I'm craving some real NC BBQ, so your recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I prefer the Eastern NC style (grew up in Raleigh), and I would not mind driving a bit for some good grub.

Thanks in advance!

killerleft
07-19-2010, 09:09 AM
DBR friends,
I'm traveling for business today and I'll be in Whitsett, NC just in time for dinner. I'm craving some real NC BBQ, so your recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I prefer the Eastern NC style (grew up in Raleigh), and I would not mind driving a bit for some good grub.

Thanks in advance!

Smithfield's Chicken & Barbeque is the closest I know. They're a chain (but tasty), and are located off the NC 119 exit in Mebane. This would be 15-20 minutes north on I-85/E. I-40. Just take a right and you'll see them a ways up on the left.

roywhite
07-19-2010, 09:15 AM
If you're going by Greensboro, Stamey's is a good choice. (hhttp://roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/83/stameys)

rthomas
07-19-2010, 09:41 AM
If I were in Whitsett, I would drive the 30 minutes to Allen and Son.

http://durham.citysearch.com/profile/6158345/chapel_hill_nc/allen_son_pit_cooked_bar_b_q.html

DukeVol
07-19-2010, 09:51 AM
30 minutes is definitely within my driving window.

I've heard of Allen and Sons previously, so that must be a good thing.

This is kind of exciting; it's like my own personal episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives!!

Indoor66
07-19-2010, 09:55 AM
If I were in Whitsett, I would drive the 30 minutes to Allen and Son.

http://durham.citysearch.com/profile/6158345/chapel_hill_nc/allen_son_pit_cooked_bar_b_q.html

Stamey's (http://www.stameys.com/) is about 20 or so miles and Allen & Sons is 33 or so miles. Pick your poison - both are good.

roywhite
07-19-2010, 09:57 AM
30 minutes is definitely within my driving window.

I've heard of Allen and Sons previously, so that must be a good thing.

This is kind of exciting; it's like my own personal episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives!!

A little closer is A&M Grill in Mebane. (http://roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/4878/a-m-grill)

By the way, the places mentioned so far are all very good; I've eaten at 3 or 4 Smithfield Chicken and Barbecue places, and had good experiences.

Spend an extra day on your trip and do some personal tasting research!

brickey
07-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Smithfield's Chicken & Barbeque is the closest I know. They're a chain (but tasty), and are located off the NC 119 exit in Mebane. This would be 15-20 minutes north on I-85/E. I-40. Just take a right and you'll see them a ways up on the left.

If you're willing to drive that far, might as well go ten minutes further for Allen & Sons, which is hands-down my favorite eastern style BBQ anywhere.

To get to Allen & Sons from Whitsett, just stay on I-40 East at the I-85/I-40 split, take Exit 263 for New Hope Church Road, turn left onto New Hope Church Road at the end of the ramp, take a right at US-86 (after ~0.5 miles), and Allen & Sons will be on your right (~1.5 miles).

If you're driving to Whitsett from the Triangle area, there's no excuse not to stop for Allen & Sons. Heading west on I-40, take exit 266 for US-86 (instead of exit 263), turn right onto US-86N, and Allen & Sons will be on your left (after ~1.5 miles).

Alternatively, if you're driving to Whitsett from Charlotte, I'd recommend stopping at Lexington Barbecue, a very close second, IMO, to A&S and not too far out of your way.

I'd get a couple of sandwiches with slaw while you're there, and a quart of cue, side of slaw, and buns to go.

DukeVol
07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm driving in from Knoxville, TN, but due to construction on I-40, I'll be coming down from Virginia on I-77 and I-74. I guess I'll be going through Winston-Salem.

I plan on dropping my stuff at the hotel and heading out on my culinary adventure.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

roywhite
07-19-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm driving in from Knoxville, TN, but due to construction on I-40, I'll be coming down from Virginia on I-77 and I-74. I guess I'll be going through Winston-Salem.

I plan on dropping my stuff at the hotel and heading out on my culinary adventure.

Hey, jump off the Interstate and go to Mt. Airy and catch a bite at The Snappy Lunch (http://www.thesnappylunch.com/). It's where Andy and Barney used to eat! Authentic Mayberry atmosphere.

cspan37421
07-19-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm driving in from Knoxville, TN, but due to construction on I-40, I'll be coming down from Virginia on I-77 and I-74.

Have you checked the status of construction lately? I've done 3 roundtrips between Knoxville and Durham in the last month and only had significant delays on one leg of the six - and even then, it would have been a tossup whether I'd have saved time taking the detour.

Going east, both lanes are open. Going west, it's just a 7-mile stretch that is down to one lane. If you are going west later at night, I think you'll find it goes quickly. If you go west in the late afternoon or early evening, yeah, it's slow, starting around MM 11.

Good luck,
cspan

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-19-2010, 10:37 AM
A little closer is A&M Grill in Mebane. (http://roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/4878/a-m-grill)

By the way, the places mentioned so far are all very good; I've eaten at 3 or 4 Smithfield Chicken and Barbecue places, and had good experiences.

Spend an extra day on your trip and do some personal tasting research!

A&M is pretty good, but so is Hursey's in Burlington. My pre-game meal for basketball is usually a Hursey's chopped sandwich which is sold in the new concourse area of Cameron.

Maybe this link will help you with locations and choices. The NC Barbecue Society is serious about 'cue.http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html

superdave
07-19-2010, 11:07 AM
A&M is pretty good, but so is Hursey's in Burlington. My pre-game meal for basketball is usually a Hursey's chopped sandwich which is sold in the new concourse area of Cameron.

Maybe this link will help you with locations and choices. The NC Barbecue Society is serious about 'cue.http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html

Hursey's at Alamance Road/Church Street in Burlington is probably the closest bbq joint to Whitsett that is really good. They have excellent friend chicken too.

aro24
07-19-2010, 11:17 AM
If you will be coming through Winston Salem to hit 40 then you will be coming through High Point shortly after. About 2-3 miles off of 40 on Hwy 68 is Carter Brothers BBQ. I am there at least once a week and it is tough to beat.

ARo24

killerleft
07-19-2010, 12:16 PM
If you're willing to drive that far, might as well go ten minutes further for Allen & Sons, which is hands-down my favorite eastern style BBQ anywhere.

To get to Allen & Sons from Whitsett, just stay on I-40 East at the I-85/I-40 split, take Exit 263 for New Hope Church Road, turn left onto New Hope Church Road at the end of the ramp, take a right at US-86 (after ~0.5 miles), and Allen & Sons will be on your right (~1.5 miles).

If you're driving to Whitsett from the Triangle area, there's no excuse not to stop for Allen & Sons. Heading west on I-40, take exit 266 for US-86 (instead of exit 263), turn right onto US-86N, and Allen & Sons will be on your left (after ~1.5 miles).

Alternatively, if you're driving to Whitsett from Charlotte, I'd recommend stopping at Lexington Barbecue, a very close second, IMO, to A&S and not too far out of your way.

I'd get a couple of sandwiches with slaw while you're there, and a quart of cue, side of slaw, and buns to go.

Thousands of people a day eat at and would disagree with your characterization of Smithfield's. But they're stupid like me, so what the hey.:)

Seriously, just because you don't like someplace is no reason to insult people. You may not be the expert you think you are.

SeattleIrish
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Killer:

I think you may have linked the wrong quote (?). I didn't see anything insulting in what was quoted.

s.i.

Thousands of people a day eat at and would disagree with your characterization of Smithfield's. But they're stupid like me, so what the hey.:)

Seriously, just because you don't like someplace is no reason to insult people. You may not be the expert you think you are.

Huh?
07-19-2010, 01:51 PM
DBR friends,

Thanks in advance!

Stamey's in Greensboro
Hershey's in Burlington
Short Sugars in Reidsville which is by far the best out of these and blows smithfields out of the water.

left_hook_lacey
07-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey, jump off the Interstate and go to Mt. Airy and catch a bite at The Snappy Lunch (http://www.thesnappylunch.com/). It's where Andy and Barney used to eat! Authentic Mayberry atmosphere.

I second this.

The places mentioned before are fine, but as long as you're looking for an authentic feel, you can't go wrong at The Snappy Lunch.

Even if you decide not to go to Snappy's, I still suggest staying away from the chains such as Smithfield's. Nothing against Smithfield's, but it's just not as authentic tasting to me as it used to be.

Good Luck!

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Stamey's in Greensboro
Hershey's in Burlington
Short Sugars in Reidsville which is by far the best out of these and blows smithfields out of the water.

Short Suger's another gem! Can't go wrong with any one of the three places mentioned in this post.

Since I noticed that you're likely to come through WS because of taking I-77, I'll mention three great barbecue places here. All three offer a choice of types of slaw. You can smell the wood smoke when you approach each of them.

Pig N Out University Parkway (off US 52)
Little Richard's Country Club Rd. between Peacehaven and Jonestown Rds.
Mr. Barbecue on Peters Creek Parkway

91_92_01_10_15
07-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Killer:

I think you may have linked the wrong quote (?). I didn't see anything insulting in what was quoted.

s.i.

I think he was referring to the comment "If you want good cue, avoid Smithfields" in the subject line of that message. That's the only reference to Smithfield's that I see. I don't think he meant any personal insult to killer.

For the record, I think Smithfield's has been successful for a reason. Though there are certainly a lot of BBQ places out there with a lot more character, not many taste better, IMO.

Verga3
07-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Would love a BBQ debrief, DukeVol. Getting in late, but another no-brainer in Greensboro is Country Barbeque. Great Q and the BBQ chicken might be the best-flavored and most tender I have ever tasted....Don't know when you are travelling back to Knoxville, BUT, if you want a breakfast that will enable you to easily torpedo your lunch, just order the pork tenderloin (with egg if you like) and you will be treated to a huge, amazingly mouthwatering, tenderloin biscuit that I promise you will remember forever. http://www.yelp.com/biz/country-barbecue-greensboro

Having said this, Stamey's BBQ is always awesome and if the strawberry (or any) cobbler is up, you will leave with a smile on your face.

DukeVol
07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Got a little bit of a late start from Knoxville, so I arrived too late to make it to Allen and Son (they close at 8?). Ended up cruising down Hwy 70 from my hotel and hit up Hursey's in Burlington.

Ordered a chopped plate (comes with fries, slaw & hushpuppies) and a side of Brunswick stew...oh, and an order of peach cobbler. ;)

The 'que was great. Not too dry and not too wet; good bit of tang and bite without the need for additional sauce. I could have used a little more charred bits, but now I'm just being picky.

Brunswick stew was quite tasty and the hushpuppies are the real deal; especially dipped in the honey butter spread they give you.

The peach cobbler just melted in my mouth and it was a great ending to a nice dinner. All the flavors really brought back some childhood memories.

I ended up coming through the mountains on I-40 (only one minor slow down right around Hickory), so on the way back tomorrow, I going to hit up Stamey's in Greensboro. That gives me motivation to leave the job site a little early!

Thanks everyone!

Verga3
07-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Got a little bit of a late start from Knoxville, so I arrived too late to make it to Allen and Son (they close at 8?). Ended up cruising down Hwy 70 from my hotel and hit up Hursey's in Burlington.

Ordered a chopped plate (comes with fries, slaw & hushpuppies) and a side of Brunswick stew...oh, and an order of peach cobbler. ;)

The 'que was great. Not too dry and not too wet; good bit of tang and bite without the need for additional sauce. I could have used a little more charred bits, but now I'm just being picky.

Brunswick stew was quite tasty and the hushpuppies are the real deal; especially dipped in the honey butter spread they give you.

The peach cobbler just melted in my mouth and it was a great ending to a nice dinner. All the flavors really brought back some childhood memories.

I ended up coming through the mountains on I-40 (only one minor slow down right around Hickory), so on the way back tomorrow, I going to hit up Stamey's in Greensboro. That gives me motivation to leave the job site a little early!

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for getting back to BBQ crazed DBR. Hursey's is great. Enjoy tomorrow and safe travels!

roywhite
07-19-2010, 09:00 PM

Nice work, DukeVol, and thanks for the recap.

If you're travelling that route again, also consider 12 bones in Asheville (http://www.12bones.com/), which has limited hours (11:00 AM to 4:00 PM Mon-Fri and closed weekends), but is near the top of the list for barbecue, including by some real DBR taste-test experts!

We who live in NC sometimes take our barbecue places for granted; it's good to hear how an occasional traveler values such a stop.

killerleft
07-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Killer:

s.i.

I was responding to brickey. I forgot that the subject line "if you want good 'cue, avoid Smithfields" wouldn't show up in the quote. Insult was too strong a word, in any case. I apologize to brickey.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-19-2010, 09:55 PM

Thanks everyone!

Come to a game in Cameron and you can enjoy another Hursey's chopped sandwich.

I love Stamey's, but if you're going to have barbecue for lunch, head to Pig N Out in Winston-Salem. The chopped sandwiches are large and generously filled with chopped barbecue. You can have that sandwich topped with regular or barbecue slaw (which is excellent here). The other reason you should eat your lunch here is the banana pudding. It's a true custard, cooked not a mix. It's so good and so rich you'll be slapping the floor and the table while you savor each spoonful of heavenly delight.

Directions: Business 40 west to US 52 north (Exit 6 I think). Follow US 52 to the exit for University Parkway North. Pig n Out will be on the left past the Verizon and Krispy Kreme stores in the same strip shopping center with Big Lots.

roywhite
07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
. You can have that sandwich topped with regular or barbecue slaw (which is excellent here). The other reason you should eat your lunch here is the banana pudding. It's a true custard, cooked not a mix. It's so good and so rich you'll be slapping the floor and the table while you savor each spoonful of heavenly delight.

Krispy Kreme stores in the same strip shopping center with Big Lots.

Sweet tea, hush puppies, barbecue, 'nana pudding, and a dozen hot'n'fresh donuts to go....hey, we're doing our part for devildeac and davekay!

brickey
07-20-2010, 03:07 PM
I was responding to brickey. I forgot that the subject line "if you want good 'cue, avoid Smithfields" wouldn't show up in the quote. Insult was too strong a word, in any case. I apologize to brickey.

No need to apologize, Lefty. If anyone should apologize, it's me. Taking time from your day to help a fellow barbecue lover out makes you a friend in my book, so I'm sorry if I offended. In hindsight, I went too far by suggesting Smithfields' 'cue isn't good. Absent other alternatives, I'd stop for Smithfields without hesitation.

To clarify where I was coming from, though, I think it's pretty hard not to find a better alternative within our great state (unless you're in one of a couple isolated locations). Akin to what 91_92_01_10 posted, I'm a big proponent of family-run establishments, especially when it comes to food, and I'll go the extra mile for wood/coal-smoked rather than gas-cooked 'cue every time.

Also thanks, DukeVol, for the feedback about your experience at Hursey's. Let us know about your eats R2 when you get a chance.

killerleft
07-21-2010, 09:29 AM
No need to apologize, Lefty. If anyone should apologize, it's me. Taking time from your day to help a fellow barbecue lover out makes you a friend in my book, so I'm sorry if I offended. In hindsight, I went too far by suggesting Smithfields' 'cue isn't good. Absent other alternatives, I'd stop for Smithfields without hesitation.

To clarify where I was coming from, though, I think it's pretty hard not to find a better alternative within our great state (unless you're in one of a couple isolated locations). Akin to what 91_92_01_10 posted, I'm a big proponent of family-run establishments, especially when it comes to food, and I'll go the extra mile for wood/coal-smoked rather than gas-cooked 'cue every time.

Also thanks, DukeVol, for the feedback about your experience at Hursey's. Let us know about your eats R2 when you get a chance.

I love the mom 'n pops, too. If the request had not been for eastern NC 'que, I would have mentioned Country Barbeque on Wendover in Greensboro (about half a mile east off I-40). That's my favorite Lexington-style restaurant within 15 miles of home.