PDA

View Full Version : Credit Where Credit Is Due

JasonEvans
07-17-2010, 03:16 PM
I have often been among the first to criticize Huggy Bear for his poor academic record...

...so let me be among the first to point out the following article.

Believe it or not: Bob Huggins team is thriving in the classroom. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Strange-but-true-A-Bob-Huggins-team-is-thriving?urn=ncaab,256518)

--Jason "props to Huggins for doing it right" Evans

4decadedukie
07-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I really dislike Huggins, especially after our National Semifinal game, but this is surprising news and WVU should be lauded for their academic record (especially considering universities such as Villanova, Georgetown, and Notre Dame in the "basketball" Big East).

Devilsfan
07-17-2010, 04:38 PM
I always thought that college grades should be weighted by degree of difficulty. Boy would we all be enlightened if they did that.

4decadedukie
07-17-2010, 07:00 PM
I always thought that college grades should be weighted by degree of difficulty. Boy would we all be enlightened if they did that.

Perhaps, also, by the difficulty/selectiveness/competitiveness of the university and/or the professor, as well as the course. However, pragmatically, how would this be accomplished? Some individuals, through natural aptitudes, may easily excel in a curriculum that others believe is most challenging. Similarly, two instructors teaching the same course may have significantly differing requirements and expectations for their students. Therefore, while I applaud the foundation of your concept, I simply don't know how it could practically work -- especially in an academic world that is moat reluctant to accept any sort of qualitative or quantitative assessment of performance.

gumbomoop
07-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Yes. GPA quite unreliable as real measure of achievement, certainly across universities, and even within any university. Some departments are just much more challenging than others. A 2.8 GPA student-athlete from university X who majored in, say, a tough History dept, and also took several tough non-major electives, would very likely have achieved far more than a 3.1 GPA student-athlete at university Y who, say, majored in some notoriously easy dept in that university.

I'm being deliberately vague, but I think my point is acknowledged, sometimes openly, but more often reluctantly, by faculty, and even more reluctantly by administrators.

As to Devilsfan's ref to "enlightened," all this is probably too much "inside baseball" [= inside academia] for most fans, who know not much about the academic world. Not to mention that said fans, virtually universally, don't give a damn about their players as students. They care only that the players are eligible. So we're probably stuck depending on the utterly undependable as a measure of any program's "academic success."

Lennies
07-18-2010, 11:44 AM
When I was at Duke, a lot of the athletes used to take a course on Naval History that was scornfully referred to as "Guns and Boats".

jjh1080
07-18-2010, 01:09 PM
How many of these kids were kids he recruited? Did any of them commit to UWV before Huggy got there? Not saying much about the fact that they are the best in the Big East. Outside maybe Notre Dame, the conference is best at teaching kids how to steel computers.

Give Huggy time, he has been close to a final four but hasn't gotten there. It won't be long before he reverts to his old ways.

Duvall
07-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Give Huggy time, he has been close to a final four but hasn't gotten there.

What?

johnb
07-18-2010, 02:59 PM

for players, the degree of difficulty should add in daily practices and traveling to nationally-televised games every week (with an additional home game on tv).

Jim3k
07-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Give Huggy time, he has been close to a final four but hasn't gotten there. It won't be long before he reverts to his old ways.

Pretty short memory, Dude. We beat his WVU team by 21 just a few short months ago, in the FF Semis.

WiJoe
07-18-2010, 09:21 PM
I really dislike Huggins, especially after our National Semifinal game ...

Why, because of his comments after Butler got hurt? Grow up.

4decadedukie
07-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Why, because of his comments after Butler got hurt? Grow up.

Not at all; in fact, I thought his conduct after Butler was injured was perfectly fine. Rather, Huggins was entirely ungracious about Duke's victory, which I found to be rather indicative of his long-demonstrated character and values.

WiJoe
07-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Not at all; in fact, I thought his conduct after Butler was injured was perfectly fine. Rather, Huggins was entirely ungracious about Duke's victory, which I found to be rather indicative of his long-demonstrated character and values.

Accepted. Sorry about the "grow up" comment. Not mature on my part.

I have had the pleasure of dealing with Huggins countless times over the last 20 years. I find him quite refreshing. I LIKE AND RESPECT HIM A LOT.

Newton_14
07-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Huggins and Coach K are really good friends and the two families are very close. It was noted that both wives really hated the fact that WVU and Duke ended up facing each other in the tourney.

If Huggy is good enough for Coach K, he is good enough for me.

LetItBD08
07-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Outside maybe Notre Dame, the conference is best at teaching kids how to steel computers.

The Bessemer Process is no trivial subject.

NYC Duke Fan
07-19-2010, 02:23 AM
Huggins and Coach K are really good friends and the two families are very close. It was noted that both wives really hated the fact that WVU and Duke ended up facing each other in the tourney.

If Huggy is good enough for Coach K, he is good enough for me.

You beat me to the post. Absolutely right !!!

CEF1959
07-19-2010, 03:02 PM
One year is no basis for making judgments, either positive or negative. In the short term, you get outliers. Only in the long run can you make real judgments.

And let's face it: Hugs has a loooooong history. Maybe Hugs has really gotten religion about the academic side of a university, and he'll be Saint Bob from now on. Maybe he's found a more compliant university than Cincinnati was in terms of "helping" athletes meet their academic obligations. Maybe it was a fluke.

The refrain is familiar enough, inside and outside basketball: "But I've changed, baby. Really, I swear."

Uh huh. We'll see 'bout that.

oldnavy
07-20-2010, 07:09 AM
You beat me to the post. Absolutely right !!!

Not for me. I have never been a Huggins fan. I think he has shown questionable decision making in the past and his on camera persona is that of a sour puss. It seems that the folks that have gotten to know him have quite a different opinion, so maybe if I did get to know him my opinion of him would change. However I cannot just say, I like this person because so and so likes him. Don't you guys have friends or family members that are close to people that you just simply cannot warm up to or even like? It works in the opposite direction as well, just because someone I care about or respect doesn't like a third party, that doesn’t automatically mean that I will not like them.
Again, I do not know Huggins, but what I SEE of him I do not care for. I may feel totally different if I got to know him.