PDA

View Full Version : Duke Curse Strikes Yet Again

tommy
07-16-2010, 11:27 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/07/16/leary.ncaa.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc

I had never seen this story before. I definitely remember Leary as the kid who came out of nowhere late in the '92 Final Four and hit three of four 3-pointers, almost singlehandedly bringing IU back against us. Nervous moments those.

Another tidbit I read about this was that Leary’s former teammates Brian Evans, the Big Ten Player of the Year in 1996, cooperated in the investigation that ultimately led to Leary’s arrest.

Lesson once again: Do NOT mess with Duke in the tournament.

Duvall
07-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Ugh. When will it be time to put this terrible joke out of our misery?

Jarhead
07-17-2010, 09:04 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/07/16/leary.ncaa.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc

Ugh. When will it be time to put this terrible joke out of our misery?
Yeah, I agree. Forget the curse. Let's just concentrate on GTHC!

Devilsfan
07-17-2010, 09:28 AM
The curse will never go away. Ol'Roy's life will always be a catastrophe in his mind (much worse than the people of Haiti suffered), Duke will continue winning banners, and Duke > state college of north carolina at chapel hill. Facts of life.

LetItBD08
07-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Just out of curiosity, what happens with the Duke curse when we end up winning the national title? With no team to transfer the misfortune to, does Duke retain it?

Our beloved senior guard has had a rough go of it the past few months. He missed some pre-draft time due to mono, and now he appears sidelined with an eye related injury. Our superstar guards on our other national championship teams ran into some unfortunate setbacks also that shortened their playing careers. These seem more substantial than losing a good player to the NBA (Jeffries, 2002; Gordon, 2004), losing a first round game (Kansas, 2005), or tripping at an airport (Huggins, 2008).

CLT Devil
07-17-2010, 05:25 PM

I had never seen this story before. I definitely remember Leary as the kid who came out of nowhere late in the '92 Final Four and hit three of four 3-pointers, almost singlehandedly bringing IU back against us. Nervous moments those.

Another tidbit I read about this was that Leary’s former teammates Brian Evans, the Big Ten Player of the Year in 1996, cooperated in the investigation that ultimately led to Leary’s arrest.

That guy had the highest points per minute ever from those three's. I mean, he just kept on hitting them. Something like 4 in just under a minute of game time?

Hate to hear about it though.

Edouble
12-06-2016, 09:09 PM
After starting in the top five in both preseason polls, along with a nice Sports Illustrated cover (curses... combine powers!!!), the Oregon Ducks are hanging by a thread, in at #24 in both polls this week.