Dan Meagher
Billy King

SMO
07-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Brian Zoubek for Brian Davis

Verga3
07-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Brian Zoubek for Brian Davis

Good call....hard to argue Z. Also, how do you choose between Bobby Hurley, Jason Williams and Shelden Williams. Fun exercise....these guys are all the epitome of "tough".

roywhite
07-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Can we put Elton Brand in there somewhere?

He came back quicker than expected from injury and was an absolute force down low.

He also survived a UConn mugging in the national championship game and still put up some numbers.

DukeBlueNV
07-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I thought Paulus was pretty tough... Not even talking about all the diving for loose balls, getting ran over by bigger guys trying to take a charge and pretty much just sacrificing his body in any way you possibly could on a basketball court. He also didn't take any crap from the opposition. I remember when he went chest to chest with Brandon Costner from NC State. I was like "Damn... is he gonna eat him??" HAHA... Also remember him talking trash and getting in people's faces when teams like BC and VT (what was the guy from VT that was always talking?? Washington I think.) tried to push us around. I know he never lived up to expectations and mostly view and a dissapointment but I'll always respect him. He was a tough little guy who would do anything to win and I could see that he was willing to do anything to make that happen for the team.

Verga3
07-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Paulus was a warrior. Should have had him on my list. Great character, great student, class act and tough as nails.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Patrick Davidson. The stories are legendary!:D And let's not forget Jay Heaps and his hip checks on carolina players!

dukestheheat
07-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Shane and Nate James.

Nails, both of them.

dth.

Verga3
07-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Patrick Davidson. The stories are legendary!:D And let's not forget Jay Heaps and his hip checks on carolina players!

Jay learned how to finesse those hip/body checks as a youngster on the soccer pitch...never fouled out in soccer. But, Patrick was in a class by himself....wish we had all the footage.

Jim3k
07-16-2010, 11:09 PM
We should include some of the football players on this list. That would mean Reggie, for sure. And, though he was a basketball player first in the early 60's, in his senior year Bob Jamieson was a 6-5 (IIRC) defensive back. Part of the all-elbow team. Backed away from no one.

Jarhead
07-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Can we include football? My candidate would be Mike Curtis.

Orange&BlackSheep
07-16-2010, 11:27 PM
I am not feelin' Jason Williams on this list. Great player. Did not ooze toughness imho. Does Laettner get some love for this list?

Jim3k
07-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Can we include football? My candidate would be Mike Curtis.

I'm with you there, Jar, but I was talking about guys who also played basketball.

As for football -- wasn't one of your (near) contemporaries Ed Meadows?

PhillyDuke
07-16-2010, 11:29 PM
^ Laettner belongs on the tough-guy list, he didn't take crap from anyone.

cameroncrazy3104
07-16-2010, 11:36 PM
what about David McClure and Lee Melchionni

verga
07-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Art Heyman & Danny Meagher

prefan21
07-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Duhon?

4decadedukie
07-17-2010, 07:26 AM
+1 for Paulus, and what about Wojo?

wilko
07-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Art Heyman & Danny Meagher

Heyman was before my time but by all accounts he was the "Original BA"

But I did see Meagher in action.
I think knowing that he was a hockey guy until he grew too tall to skate should tell you all you need to know about being tuff.

What he lacked in athletic prowess he made up for with a forearm and a shoulder to make folks think twice.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Not sure how you can leave hurley off this list. he's top 5 in my book.

PhillyDuke
07-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Hurley definitely. He's one of the toughest ever!!! Duhon? No flippin' way. Never was impressed with him.

BD80
07-17-2010, 08:53 AM
How about Andre Buckner? He had the cajones to take on the foot taller Matt Doughboyerty

Well. Maybe not. Matt realized that any of our cheerleaders could take him.

DukeVu
07-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Art Heyman
Jack Marin
Laettner
Steve Vacendak - Left his blood on the floor every game
Mike Lewis

Jarhead
07-17-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm with you there, Jar, but I was talking about guys who also played basketball.

As for football -- wasn't one of your (near) contemporaries Ed Meadows?

Sorry, I must have missed your post. Yeah, Country meadows could be included, but Mike, the famous linebacker, was one of the toughest fullbacks Duke has ever had. Getting back to your guideline, tough guys in both football and hoops, wasn't Ceep Youmans also on the football roster? And, yeah, I second your motion on Reggie Love.

jimsumner
07-17-2010, 09:51 AM
You guys have left off number one, specifically one David Henderson. IMO.

basket1544
07-17-2010, 10:23 AM
I think it's proof of how tough Duke is that so many players belong on this list.
I would include Jon. I think everyone that has ever left blood on the court belongs on the list.

DukieBoy
07-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Hurley definitely. He's one of the toughest ever!!! Duhon? No flippin' way. Never was impressed with him.

If I recall, his senior year he went flying out of bounds for a loose ball and hit a camera and broke some ribs, but continued the rest of the game and the rest of the tourney. That's tough

jjh1080
07-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Really, are there any guys who came through Duke and played four years that you wouldn't put on this list? There are some but probably not many.

From the list that started this all, IMO, I would not have Kyle listed. This is the year that will show how tough he is. Actually, I put put Nolan ahead of Kyle. But this coming season will be the test for them. They are marked and how they answer that will determine their toughness.

Bluedevil114
07-17-2010, 12:20 PM
I put Dahntay Jones and Carlos Boozer on my list when I think of tough players.

Kishiznit
07-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Duvall
07-17-2010, 12:31 PM
From the list that started this all, IMO, I would not have Kyle listed. This is the year that will show how tough he is. Actually, I put put Nolan ahead of Kyle. But this coming season will be the test for them. They are marked and how they answer that will determine their toughness.

Bring back codes.

Kishiznit
07-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Really, are there any guys who came through Duke and played four years that you wouldn't put on this list? There are some but probably not many.

Kyle Singler is a tough kid. I think back of two instances in particular last year when he took the ball to the rack and went down awkwardly (on his wrist). The first during the Wake game. This was one of my favorite games of the year - a fantastic performance by our guys, especially our bigs / Plumlees. It was one of our most physical games of the year if you recall and Kyle was fouled late in the game. He got up and went to the line. Another instance was late in the tourney when the same thing happened and he got up and went to the line. No doubt he was somewhat injured because he could not draw iron on his 1st free throw. He could have easily went to the bench for a fresh tape job, but he stayed in the game. With his minutes last year and willingness to take the abuse from large bodies and small quick hands constantly - he is extremely tough.

Edouble
07-17-2010, 03:22 PM

Actually he's shown how tough he is every year, but if I had to pick just one year, it would be his freshman season when he played out of position and had to bang with players much bigger than him when he was still just a wet footed ACC rookie.

Saying that Kyle is not one of the toughest is like saying Grant Hill was not one of the most talented or that Redick was not one of the best shoooters. I just don't see it. The guy jumps back up after hard fouls.

CLT Devil
07-17-2010, 03:59 PM
No way Kyle is left off that list...the number of stitches he had during his freshman year was incredible. He played a game this year with a black eye. He also jumped into press row, saving a ball between his legs and taking out Dickie V...who incessantly yelled "give him the charge, baby!!" about 10 times.

Also agree with Duhon...I remember him bruising ribs a few times.

How many time did Markie get beat up and come back...as welll as have top five all time bodies for a Duke BBall player.

I remember Elton Brand had a guy come down on his head in HS and left a few teeth in Elton's head...he did not want to come out of the game so he pulled them out and kept playing...or so the story goes.

Top 5, for my era:
-Singler - never afraid to sacrifice body
-Battier - taking a charge does not feel good
-Nate Dawg - Not one single event or action, just sheer attitude
-Paulus (Having 4 brother will make ANYONE toughen up. He never took crap off anyone...even that Deron Washington clown or Danny Green)
-Wojo - needs no explanation

So hard to keep it at 5.

Steve68
07-17-2010, 04:09 PM
I don't think you can leave Danny Ferry off the list. Not only did he come out of most games looking like he had been through a meat grinder, he didn't back down from anyone and could dish it out as well as take it.

nmduke2001
07-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Kyle Singler is the toughest player I have ever seen at Duke. I graduated with Shane and Nate and, although tough, they were not in the same league as Kyle. He takes so many hard fouls and just pops right up. Another member posted about the time that Kyle hurt his wrist and stayed in the game. For mere mortals that would have been several games out, not for Kyle. Do you remember how he was leveled on the final play in the Championship game? The reason you don't hear more about it is because he got right up. The kid is made of iron.

Lord Ash
07-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Shane.

Then Laettner, Hurley, Nate, Wojo, Kyle... Duke has had a LOT of tough guys, though. Heck, Jon is a pretty tough kid.

CameronBlue
07-17-2010, 06:59 PM
<sigh> Gene Banks

Tough on....and off....the court when it mattered.

killerleft
07-17-2010, 09:32 PM

Is this a joke? Or are you just making sure nobody cherishes your opinions?

Lord Ash
07-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Oh, Art H should be on that list... he was a tough son of a gun.

HCFthird
07-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Singler and Scheyer were more bloodied since any Blue Devil since Hurley.
And after this year, I am not sure how you can leave out LANCE THOMAS!

jdj4duke
07-19-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't recall any Duke player ever backing away from an opponent. I have seen them exhibit discipline in not engaging in what could have been disastrous behavior after being baited (see Scheyer and Nolan in the Baylor game), but I have never seen a Duke player weenie out.

As far as taking poundings without apparent harm, Kyle sets the recent standard for me. That kid is a beast.

Bilas wrote a piece last year (08--09 I think) where he defines what "toughness" meant to him. It's an ESPN Insider piece (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=bilas_jay&id=3820342&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmen s-college-basketball%2fblog%3fname%3dbilas_jay%26id%3d382034 2) but it appears that if you bing "jay bilas toughness article" there are some sites where you can find some other details.

CameronBornAndBred
07-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Just by the shear number of charges taken, my daddy is Battier.
Singler is right behind him.

UrinalCake
07-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Kind of an isolated story here, but I saw Trajan Langdon get practically knocked out by a Clemson player in Cameron in 1999, he was dripping blood on the court and was down for a long time. Got stitched up and came back into the game a few minutes later.

At the time of the incident we were losing, but we went on something like a 25-0 run.

gus
07-19-2010, 10:44 AM
People who don't include Art Heyman on their list clearly do not know Duke Basketball history.

The scar on Grant Hill's cheek (courtesy of Meek?) is evidence of his toughness, in my opinion.

Nugget
07-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Can't believe David Henderson hasn't gotten a mention on a list of tough Duke players.

-jk
07-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Can't believe David Henderson hasn't gotten a mention on a list of tough Duke players.

He has (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=422507&highlight=henderson#post422507).

-jk

CEF1959
07-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Gene Banks

+1.

Others: Kenny Dennard, Jay Bilas, Laettner, and J.J. The latter two not only walked the walk, but flipped off the rest of the world when anyone complained.

UrinalCake
07-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah, JJ has to be the mentally toughest player in recent history. No one had to endure more crap than him. Call Laettner second I guess.

DukeBlueNV
07-19-2010, 03:07 PM
One thing about Singler I havent seen anyone mention was the fact that his freshman year K had him playing center! That had to be rough him, having to bang with centers from the ACC as a freshman all the while playing out of position. I seem to remeber him holding his ground on most of those guys, some of them being pretty tough in thier own right... Booker, Hans, etc.