PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on Singler and Nolan

Ping Lin
07-15-2010, 11:24 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-duke071510

The interesting part of the article, for me:

“Both of us were having so much fun in college on and off the court and neither one of us is really struggling for money for our family,” Smith said. “That’s an issue with some of these players who leave early, but we aren’t struggling. Our families are fine.

“[Kyle] knows that next year is going to be a job. The perks are going to be there, but it’s an 82-game season. It’s long and hard work. I talk to Mike Beasley and a lot of guys in the league. He said, ‘It’s not a game once you get there. You get money, but it feels like a job.’ Kyle and I took that into consideration. We wanted one more year to have fun.”

A refreshing attitude these days.

sagegrouse
07-15-2010, 11:43 AM

“Both of us were having so much fun in college on and off the court and neither one of us is really struggling for money for our family,” Smith said. “That’s an issue with some of these players who leave early, but we aren’t struggling. Our families are fine.

“[Kyle] knows that next year is going to be a job. The perks are going to be there, but it’s an 82-game season. It’s long and hard work. I talk to Mike Beasley and a lot of guys in the league. He said, ‘It’s not a game once you get there. You get money, but it feels like a job.’ Kyle and I took that into consideration. We wanted one more year to have fun.”

Did anyone read the first instalment of Nolan's blog? Three-hour physical training in the AM; three-hour basketball skills and drills in the PM; followed by pickup games somewhere around the DC area. Whew! And this was off-season!

That's the regime of a professional athlete. I suppose what's different in the NBA is that the atmosphere on your own team is pretty much dog-eat-dog and not nurturing at all. And you don't have the diversions of campus life.

sagegrouse
'BTW as a parent I always wanted my kids to have a campus experience. When I was in graduate school in a large city, there were a number of undergrads who lived at home to save money. And, over a period of 2-3 years, commuting to school and hanging out in the student center, they hardly matured at all either socially or intellectually. It is hard to believe, having lived in a dorm for four years, but there are lifelong benefits from hanging around on campus with other students.'

'I would feel the same way if I had a child who was an early-entry candidate for the NBA'

'And as Devil Momma said when JWill tallked about leaving for the NBA after his sophomore year. "Jason, you've never lived anywhere except at home or in a dorm. You're not ready to be in the NBA." Jason got an off-campus apartment for his junior year as part of his NBA prep.'

MChambers
07-15-2010, 12:00 PM

Thanks for posting this. It's a refreshing attitude. I'm very proud to see Kyle and Nolan recognizing what many writers and posters miss when they discuss whether a player should jump to the pros.

Also, a request\plea: can we please keep this thread from deteriorating into yet another discussion of whether Duke will play big or small next year?

flyingdutchdevil
07-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks for posting this. It's a refreshing attitude. I'm very proud to see Kyle and Nolan recognizing what many writers and posters miss when they discuss whether a player should jump to the pros.

Also, a request\plea: can we please keep this thread from deteriorating into yet another discussion of whether Duke will play big or small next year?

So... who do we think will start? Will Singler be a 3 or a 4? ;)

DevilHorns
07-15-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm really happy to read about Nolan and Kyle reflecting and realizing that they will have to be more than simply lead-by-example guys next year.

Man, we have some great kids. When Duke scouts out players, they look for so much more than the strict basketball skill-set. More often then not, they find great kids with the drive and leadership quality to fully embrace what it means to be a Duke player.

Makes me proud to be a Duke fan.