PDA

View Full Version : Singler in the ESPY audience

diveonthefloor
07-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Or at least a name tag on his reserved seat!:)

Dev11
07-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Saw that, too. Hopefully we take home some of the contrived hardware!

SilkyJ
07-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Zoubs right behind him and Gordon Hayward right behind Zoubs!

amazinballer323
07-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Doesn't just the winning team usually attend for the "Best Game"?

If we win and some Bulldogs are up there too would that be unprecedented?

diveonthefloor
07-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Doesn't just the winning team usually attend for the "Best Game"?

If we win and some Bulldogs are up there too would that be unprecedented?

I think it would be appropriate for both teams to be up there.

Dukefan1.0
07-14-2010, 09:57 PM
I enjoyed the parody of Lebron James "Decision" with Steve Carell

MisterRoddy
07-14-2010, 09:59 PM
I enjoyed the parody of Lebron James "Decision" with Steve Carell

Haha same here.

"How long do we have left?....58 minutes?...sooo..."

Hilarious

DevilWearsPrada
07-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Everybody watching the ESPSY?

DevilWearsPrada
07-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Just showed Kyle with an award at the ESPYS. Great to see our Duke boys in LA receiving awards!!!! Go Duke!!

blazindw
07-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Duke hoops won Best Collegiate Program! Congrats to our boys!

Duvall
07-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Duke hoops won Best Collegiate Program! Congrats to our boys!

Pretty sure that was for best overall men's college program. Otherwise I'm not sure how Stanford won the women's award.

kmmk
07-14-2010, 10:52 PM
The Best College Program award really went to the college as opposed to an individual team. They said Duke had three teams in the top five of their sports (hoops and men's lacrosse were two of them but I missed the third one, maybe women's lacrosse?) Stanford had five total.

I think they just picked Kyle as a representative from the hoops program and I believe the girl that accepted for Stanford is the same one that won the Gatorade High School award and must be headed to Stanford and just happened to be there for her other award.
xxKelly

Pretty sure that was for best overall men's college program. Otherwise I'm not sure how Stanford won the women's award.

Duvall
07-14-2010, 11:04 PM
I think they just picked Kyle as a representative from the hoops program and I believe the girl that accepted for Stanford is the same one that won the Gatorade High School award and must be headed to Stanford and just happened to be there for her other award.
xxKelly

Actually, they're sisters - Nneka and Chiney Ogwumike. Nneka is a sophomore at Stanford, Chiney arrives this fall.

kmmk
07-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. I caught the last name and missed the first name. That will be great for them. As we know, it's fun to have siblings together on the same team or at the same school. :)
xxKelly

Actually, they're sisters - Nneka and Chiney Ogwumike. Nneka is a sophomore at Stanford, Chiney arrives this fall.

SilkyJ
07-14-2010, 11:31 PM
who won best game?? how did I miss that part? i guess I was only 3/4 paying attention

Reisen
07-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Ouch, anyone else see that as a snub?

Best team finalists: Winning NFL team, winning NBA team, winning NHL team, winning MLB team, winning BCS team, and winning women's college basketball team.

Yet Duke's not a finalist? Every other major sport is there. If you're going to say it's the quality of the team, why are the Blackhawks there?

No one cares about UConn women's basketball record in a landscape that pretty much defines lack of parity.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-14-2010, 11:43 PM
So at the end of the ESPY's they gave out award for "Best team" they had the UCONN Huskies womens basketball
LA Lakers
Saints
Yankees
Alabama ect.... ect...
Pretty much EVERY major and college team but NO DUKE WTF??? did anyone else catch this? Wheres the love

oh and im pissed so sorry if this makes little since...

DevilHorns
07-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Ouch, anyone else see that as a snub?

Best team finalists: Winning NFL team, winning NBA team, winning NHL team, winning MLB team, winning BCS team, and winning women's college basketball team.

Yet Duke's not a finalist? Every other major sport is there. If you're going to say it's the quality of the team, why are the Blackhawks there?

No one cares about UConn women's basketball record in a landscape that pretty much defines lack of parity.

And that is why nobody in the world cares about the ESPYs.

I think I rather win a Nickelodeon or Teen's Choice award.

The ESPYs pick based on whats fashionable, and thats that. Duke clearly had the best "team" last year... such a good team that they just couldn't be nominated without a supply of named superstars on the other "teams" like Brees, Ingram, Jeter, etc...

What a joke. At least UCONN didn't win. I would have vomited if that were the case.

Skitzle
07-15-2010, 03:34 AM
The ESPYs pick based on whats fashionable, and thats that. Duke clearly had the best "team" last year... such a good team that they just couldn't be nominated without a supply of named superstars on the other "teams" like Brees, Ingram, Jeter, etc...

Nope. They picked based on what ESPN has financial interest in. They have more financial interest in growing womens basketball (they have the rights to the womens final four).

ESPN hypes ESPN. Thats that

MisterRoddy
07-15-2010, 05:09 AM
Nope. They picked based on what ESPN has financial interest in. They have more financial interest in growing womens basketball (they have the rights to the womens final four).

ESPN hypes ESPN. Thats that

Alright guys, I think Duke was gypped as much as the next guy but that UConn team hasn't lost in two years. That's highly impressive and IMHO, they deserved their nomination. Whether they deserved it over Duke is another argument, but if anything, they should've just had an extra nominee.

oldnavy
07-15-2010, 06:47 AM
OK, Kyle is one of my top 15 (and moving up) all time favs at Duke, but does anyone else think of Napolean Dynamite when they look at him? My son cracks me up when Kyle is on TV by doing impressions on Napolean Dynamite to Kyles actions. Imagine hearing "Zoubs, pass me the ball, you freaking idiot.... gosh" in a ND voice. Pretty funny stuff.... oh well sorry to digress.

He may resemble ND, but he plays like Rocky Balboa!! Love Kyle's toughness!!

jdj4duke
07-15-2010, 07:46 AM
Take your pick-

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/903027/lead620/

http://espnmediasource.com/rs/filestore/1/4/9/6/7_fef164badc1aa72/14967pre_2e2a5adbab60c01.jpg?v=2009-04-23+18%3A46%3A10

CharlestonDevil
07-15-2010, 08:43 AM
"Best Team" and "Best Moment" is not the same category as "Best Game". I know there were other ESPY's given out during the pre-show, like Coach of the Year (which went to Phil Jackson instead of Coach K. If he was the best coach this year why didn't he win a championship and a gold medal... but I digress...)

Was "Best Game" given out before the actual show also?

DevilHorns
07-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Alright guys, I think Duke was gypped as much as the next guy but that UConn team hasn't lost in two years. That's highly impressive and IMHO, they deserved their nomination. Whether they deserved it over Duke is another argument, but if anything, they should've just had an extra nominee.

You're right. I am sour. Looked at last year's nominees... you bet ya, 2009 Men's Basketball champs were on there....

DevilWearsPrada
07-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Great to see our Duke boys on the red carpet in LA. They should have won more hardware.

Reisen
07-15-2010, 01:08 PM
You're right. I am sour. Looked at last year's nominees... you bet ya, 2009 Men's Basketball champs were on there....

Exactly.

DevilOfATime
07-15-2010, 02:12 PM
I can't stand ESPN. I can stand their football guys like Golic, John Clayton and those guys. The rest I can't. ESPN has been biased they have their teams that they like more and gives more highlights and talk about more and puts up on a pedestal. They don't talk about the rest teams rather it be the NFL, College sports and so on. They should change their name from ESPN to some other name, because is not all sports coverage its just ESPN and their favorite teams all the rest they won't give the time and day for.

They love to gush and drool over Brady and the Patriots and everyone but Duke. I am getting sick of their new love fest of the Saints. It was a feel good story at first. But now I am getting sick of hearing about them all the time.No, we really did not have to see Brees at every camera shot last night ESPN. I know you have the hots or does that mark on his face does that really turn you on, that makes you get weak on your knees ESPN?.

I really don't watch ESPN other then NFL Live and the football guys when the NFL season going on, or when its college basketball season. Also throw in Farve that they have a love fest going on as well. Also Hockey really that got the best game? Tired of seeing the Olympics last night as well. Thankfully the Olympics is every 4 years.

uh_no
07-15-2010, 03:40 PM
They love to gush and drool over Brady and the Patriots and everyone but Duke.

The number of times duke gets on ESPN for basetball games is incredible....I would bet (without looking up any numbers) that Duke plays on ESPN more than any other team...they certainly play on national television in general more than any other team

I also think their #1 color commentary guy dickie V certainly doesn't support your argument.....I also think one of their top analysts Jay Bilas doesn't support your argument.......

basically you have duke fans saying ESPN hates duke and won't give them their due and you have duke haters saying ESPN loves duke and spends way too much time focusing on DUKE and that they suck up to duke and coach K......it obviously can't be both ways.....

should_be_working
07-15-2010, 04:05 PM

What a joke. At least UCONN didn't win. I would have vomited if that were the case.

Are you two even serious? Back to back national championships and a 78 game winning streak??? That's not enough for you? An average margin of victory of 35 points. During the regular season they played 11 games against ranked opponents(including 6 in the top ten) with an average margin of victory of 24. And you wouldn't consider them among the best teams in sports? I don't care how low the parity is in woman's basketball, its extremely tough to have an undefeated season in any sport, let alone two in a row where you completely demolish your opponents.

How about focus your attention on a team like the yankees who's payroll doubles most MLB teams - tell me how they deserve the nod over others.

Pathetic.

I can't stand ESPN....

ESPN gets on my nerves too from time to time, but I will forever be grateful for their coverage of Duke - what other college basketball team gets as much exposure? I can watch 95% of all Duke games on TV, so for that, ESPN can say/do what they want.

DevilOfATime
07-15-2010, 04:17 PM
ESPN gets on my nerves too from time to time, but I will forever be grateful for their coverage of Duke - what other college basketball team gets as much exposure? I can watch 95% of all Duke games on TV, so for that, ESPN can say/do what they want.

Point taken and you are right :). I am grateful for all of the Duke games.

hedevil
07-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I am grateful to be able to watch most Duke games as well.

However, keep in mind that Duke is a ratings machine. People either love or hate Duke. There is no middle ground. I think that it's possible that ESPN can hate most things Duke, yet use the games for ratings purposes all at the same time. Just a thought.

oldnavy
07-15-2010, 05:18 PM
I am grateful to be able to watch most Duke games as well.

However, keep in mind that Duke is a ratings machine. People either love or hate Duke. There is no middle ground. I think that it's possible that ESPN can hate most things Duke, yet use the games for ratings purposes all at the same time. Just a thought.

Absolutely, I watch every UNC game that is televised just hoping that they will lose!!

oldnavy
07-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Are you two even serious? Back to back national championships and a 78 game winning streak??? That's not enough for you? An average margin of victory of 35 points. During the regular season they played 11 games against ranked opponents(including 6 in the top ten) with an average margin of victory of 24. And you wouldn't consider them among the best teams in sports? I don't care how low the parity is in woman's basketball, its extremely tough to have an undefeated season in any sport, let alone two in a row where you completely demolish your opponents.

How about focus your attention on a team like the yankees who's payroll doubles most MLB teams - tell me how they deserve the nod over others.

Pathetic.

They were a phenomenal team no doubt - maybe even one of the best teams ever in their sport. But it is still girl basketball. I know that sounds misogynistic and it probably is, but I just can't make myself watch it. However, I like to watch Dancing with The Stars! Does that make me a bad person? :confused:

DevilHorns
07-15-2010, 05:53 PM

Pathetic.

Yes. I am being 100% serious. If that is pathetic in your opinion then so be it. I don't fault UCONN for dominating everyone in their path. It's not their fault that women's basketball has too much of a discrepancy in talent among the ''top'' programs and the rest. I think that its almost a joke that the NCAA fills out a 64-team bracket for the women's tourney.

How many ''real'' competitive games did UCONN have to play the past 2 years? They are currently stacked and unlike men's bball, they can expect to keep all their players for 4 years. Hey, they are still doing all they can do by winning... but frankly when UCONN won the championship nobody was talking about what a tough year they had facing such quality opponents, having to overcome anything.

Hey, if you like to watch women's basketball, then so be it. I would've been shaking my head if they had won. All the other teams on that list had to face a lot more of an uphill battle to win it all.

All of those teams had to find an identity, grow as a "team," go through the ups and downs to win it. Perhaps we have a different outlook on what traits qualify a team as team of the year.

should_be_working
07-15-2010, 05:54 PM
They were a phenomenal team no doubt - maybe even one of the best teams ever in their sport. But it is still girl basketball. I know that sounds misogynistic and it probably is, but I just can't make myself watch it. However, I like to watch Dancing with The Stars! Does that make me a bad person? :confused:

Speaking as a girl who played basketball, yes it is...

Just because you don't like watching them, it doesn't make the UConn women any less of a great team, and one that will go down in history as perhaps the greatest in woman's basketball.

Geez, did I step into the 1950s??

Oh and Dancing with the stars has nothing on So You Think You Can Dance ;)

should_be_working
07-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Yes. I am being 100% serious. If that is pathetic in your opinion then so be it. I don't fault UCONN for dominating everyone in their path. It's not their fault that women's basketball has too much of a discrepancy in talent among the ''top'' programs and the rest. I think that its almost a joke that the NCAA fills out a 64-team bracket for the women's tourney.

How many ''real'' competitive games did UCONN have to play the past 2 years? They are currently stacked and unlike men's bball, they can expect to keep all their players for 4 years. Hey, they are still doing all they can do by winning... but frankly when UCONN won the championship nobody was talking about what a tough year they had facing such quality opponents, having to overcome anything.

Hey, if you like to watch women's basketball, then so be it. I would've been shaking my head if they had won. All the other teams on that list had to face a lot more of an uphill battle to win it all.

All of those teams had to find an identity, grow as a "team," go through the ups and downs to win it.

But by this argument, can't you say the same thing about Duke winning it all this year. A national powerhouse with 3 seniors and 2 juniors in the starting lineup going against a mid major... And not knowing their schedule I believe they played UNC, Duke, Baylor, Stanford and others. You can only beat who lies in front of you, hmmm, where have I heard that before.

I'm not saying I agree with that (comparing them to Duke bit), and there obviously isn't the parity in the woman's game as there is in the men's but come one, regardless, what they did was special, even if it is women's basketball.

Duvall
07-15-2010, 06:10 PM

How is that relevant? They played almost all the top programs, and beat them all.

So you would have been more impressed if they had played worse and allowed more of their opponents to be competitive last year? How does that work?

Did they? It's not like the UConn women had some structural advantage over most of their opponents, like a $200 million payroll. They had the same number of scholarships as everyone else; they just used those scholarships on better basketball players.

All of those teams had to find an identity, grow as a "team," go through the ups and downs to win it. Perhaps we have a different outlook on what traits qualify a team as team of the year.

I would hope that we could agree that winning is a pretty big factor.

(Find an identity?)

DevilHorns
07-15-2010, 06:17 PM
But by this argument, can't you say the same thing about Duke winning it all this year. A national powerhouse with 3 seniors and 2 juniors in the starting lineup going against a mid major... And no knowing their schedule I believe they played UNC, Duke, Baylor, Stanford and others. You can only beat who lies in front of you, hmmm, where have I heard that before.

I'm not saying I agree with that comparing the to Duke bit, and there obviously isn't the parity in the woman's game as there is in the men's but come one, regardless, what they did was special, even if it is women's basketball.

You are completely right in they can only play who is in front of them, and for that, they simply dominated. For me, 'team of the year' is not necessarily about a winning streak or other numbers that show dominance.

For me 'team of the year' is more about coming together as a 'team' to win it all.

IMO, all those other teams had an element of that, and DUKE, not included on that list, clearly had that. UCONN, on the other hand, literally was almost guaranteed to win last year given the parity in women's basketball. Watching them play Duke in Cameron (while I believe Duke was ranked top 5 at that point) and completely dominate in every single aspect of the game was enough for me to realize that they simply didn't have to face any true competition the whole year. Outside of that, the only other games I caught were against Stanford and Baylor, two other premier teams,... and it was just too easy.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. In my eyes, they truly were never challenged enough to be a candidate for team of the year (and I'm guessing your opinion is that they were, but were so dominant that it just never showed).

WiJoe
07-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Close the thread already. This is insane.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Close the thread already. This is insane.

just log off :D

should_be_working
07-15-2010, 07:34 PM
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. In my eyes, they truly were never challenged enough to be a candidate for team of the year (and I'm guessing your opinion is that they were, but were so dominant that it just never showed).

Fair enough, I guess you and I just have different definitions of what the award was all about.

It is pretty silly arguing over an espy award. :o

DevilHorns
07-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Fair enough, I guess you and I just have different definitions of what the award was all about.

It is pretty silly arguing over an espy award. :o

Now that we can agree about! :)

SoCalDukeFan
07-16-2010, 12:12 AM
goes in:

Upset of the year
Play of the year
Game of the year

SoCal

DukeBlueNikeShox
07-16-2010, 12:44 AM

What about the Penn State women's volleyball team?! They've won 102 straight matches, 3 consecutive National Championships, and Back-to-Back undefeated seasons.

The 2008 team featured 6 All-Americans, and won 111 straight sets. The 2009 team had 4 First Team All-Americans.

Maya Moore won Female Athlete of the Year, but that award should have gone to 6'4" Destinee Hooker of Texas, who wasn't even nominated. She was a three-time All-American in volleyball, four-time indoor and outdoor National Champion for the High Jump, and posted 34 kills and 17 digs in the National Championship game. I can't see how Destinee didn't even get an invite...:confused:

Also, the Penn State/Texas National Championship game should have been nominated.

DukeBlueNikeShox
07-16-2010, 12:54 AM

Geno said it best: They play teams who have 5 high school All-Americans in their starting line-up....UConn still wins by 40. This year, they played Stanford twice, Notre Dame three times, at Duke, UNC, at Oklahoma, Florida State twice, and Baylor. Not exactly cupcake city, and as Geno said, these teams have rosters that are littered with high school All-Americans. Who do you expect them to play?! The Celtics? The Knicks? The Providence men's team?!

MisterRoddy
07-16-2010, 01:40 AM
What about the Penn State women's volleyball team?! They've won 102 straight matches, 3 consecutive National Championships, and Back-to-Back undefeated seasons.

The 2008 team featured 6 All-Americans, and won 111 straight sets. The 2009 team had 4 First Team All-Americans.

Maya Moore won Female Athlete of the Year, but that award should have gone to 6'4" Destinee Hooker of Texas, who wasn't even nominated. She was a three-time All-American in volleyball, four-time indoor and outdoor National Champion for the High Jump, and posted 34 kills and 17 digs in the National Championship game. I can't see how Destinee didn't even get an invite...:confused:

Also, the Penn State/Texas National Championship game should have been nominated.

No matter how big of a fan you are of the sport, women's volleyball (or mens for that matter) simply isn't a relevant enough sport in the conversation, simple as that.

oldnavy
07-16-2010, 06:47 AM
Speaking as a girl who played basketball, yes it is...

Just because you don't like watching them, it doesn't make the UConn women any less of a great team, and one that will go down in history as perhaps the greatest in woman's basketball.
Geez, did I step into the 1950s??

Oh and Dancing with the stars has nothing on So You Think You Can Dance ;)

Ma'am, With all due respect, what part of the "best team ever in their sport did you not get?" I agreed that they were an amazing team. I am only voicing my opinion and that is I think women's BB is less than exciting to watch. Sorry, the game is slower, the ball is smaller, and it just isn't interesting to me. This is not to say that women play basketball poorly, fundamentally they probably play at a higher level than men do, but they just do not play it at the same excitement level (to me) as the men. Combine that with a team that just plows through its games by an average margin of 20+ points, and well you have a better cure for insomnia than Ambien.

I don't think this is just a battle of the sex’s thing either; there are a lot of women who watch men's basketball who do not watch women's ball.

I will say that not enjoying watching women play basketball is not indicative of how I feel about, respect or treat women. I don't like to watch 6 year olds play soccer, but I still love and cherish kids.

And Dancing with The Stars has Edyta Sliwinska, nothing on TV can top that!
(Unless you are a woman, then maybe Maksim Chmerkovskiy would be better for your viewing pleasure! ;) )

OK it's public now I AM A MAN, AND I LIKE DANCING WITH THE STARS!! Boy it feels good to be out of the closet!!

should_be_working
07-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Ma'am, With all due respect, what part of the "best team ever in their sport did you not get?" I agreed that they were an amazing team. I am only voicing my opinion and that is I think women's BB is less than exciting to watch. Sorry, the game is slower, the ball is smaller, and it just isn't interesting to me. This is not to say that women play basketball poorly, fundamentally they probably play at a higher level than men do, but they just do not play it at the same excitement level (to me) as the men. Combine that with a team that just plows through its games by an average margin of 20+ points, and well you have a better cure for insomnia than Ambien.

I don't think this is just a battle of the sex’s thing either; there are a lot of women who watch men's basketball who do not watch women's ball.

I will say that not enjoying watching women play basketball is not indicative of how I feel about, respect or treat women. I don't like to watch 6 year olds play soccer, but I still love and cherish kids.

And Dancing with The Stars has Edyta Sliwinska, nothing on TV can top that!
(Unless you are a woman, then maybe Maksim Chmerkovskiy would be better for your viewing pleasure! ;) )

OK it's public now I AM A MAN, AND I LIKE DANCING WITH THE STARS!! Boy it feels good to be out of the closet!!

Ok, so your opinion is you don't like girls basketball for various reasons and that it why, in your opinion, that the UConn women's team shouldn't have been nominated for a team espy award?

I don't watch much of women's basketball - I'll try to watch Duke a few times when they are televised, but other than that, that's about it. I prefer the men's game. But I also understand the magnitude of the UConn women's accomplishment and applaud them for such success. It is amazing what they have been able to do, therefore in my opinion, I think they deserved an espy nod.

Our opinions differ, that's all. Agree to disagree.
Although I still think you're wrong ;)

Azdukefan
07-16-2010, 10:17 AM
OK, Kyle is one of my top 15 (and moving up) all time favs at Duke, but does anyone else think of Napolean Dynamite when they look at him? My son cracks me up when Kyle is on TV by doing impressions on Napolean Dynamite to Kyles actions. Imagine hearing "Zoubs, pass me the ball, you freaking idiot.... gosh" in a ND voice. Pretty funny stuff.... oh well sorry to digress.

He may resemble ND, but he plays like Rocky Balboa!! Love Kyle's toughness!!

My sister in law was watching a game in mid February of this past year and blurts out "man, that's only a face a mother can love!" (speaking of Kyle obviously). A few weeks later my wife and I were at Duke for the senior night game and festivities when low and behold we ran into Kyle and got a photo with him. Needless to say we sent it to my sister in law with the caption above.

Having said all of that, I am going to go out on a limb and say Kyle is the toughest player I have ever seen in a Duke uniform (AINEC). Being thirty, I have only been a fan since the mid 80s so my view is limited but I just can't say enough about Kyle's will to win. Even if he looks like Napoleon! :D

Orange&BlackSheep
07-16-2010, 11:08 AM
My sister in law was watching a game in mid February of this past year and blurts out "man, that's only a face a mother can love!" (speaking of Kyle obviously). A few weeks later my wife and I were at Duke for the senior night game and festivities when low and behold we ran into Kyle and got a photo with him. Needless to say we sent it to my sister in law with the caption above.

Having said all of that, I am going to go out on a limb and say Kyle is the toughest player I have ever seen in a Duke uniform (AINEC). Being thirty, I have only been a fan since the mid 80s so my view is limited but I just can't say enough about Kyle's will to win. Even if he looks like Napoleon! :D

Tougher than Wojo? Chris Carrawell? Hmmm ...

oldnavy
07-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Tougher than Wojo? Chris Carrawell? Hmmm ...

I tell you what, I have seen them all and I don't think I have seen one tougher than Singler. The others were tough, and may have be as tough, but nobody has been tougher IMO.

oldnavy
07-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Ok, so your opinion is you don't like girls basketball for various reasons and that it why, in your opinion, that the UConn women's team shouldn't have been nominated for a team espy award?

I don't watch much of women's basketball - I'll try to watch Duke a few times when they are televised, but other than that, that's about it. I prefer the men's game. But I also understand the magnitude of the UConn women's accomplishment and applaud them for such success. It is amazing what they have been able to do, therefore in my opinion, I think they deserved an espy nod.

Our opinions differ, that's all. Agree to disagree.
Although I still think you're wrong ;)

I have no problem with them getting a nomination or recognition at all. The problem is with the popularity of the sport. It would be very hard for them to win the category simply because the sport is not followed by as many voters. Again, I am not taking anything away from what they have accomplished, but I would not have voted for them simply because I would not watch them enough to know much about them.

ldavid1
07-16-2010, 06:53 PM
goes in:

Upset of the year
Play of the year
Game of the year

SoCal

Yes, but is there not proof that GH still had the ball on his fingertip when time ran out?

Orange&BlackSheep
07-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I tell you what, I have seen them all and I don't think I have seen one tougher than Singler. The others were tough, and may have be as tough, but nobody has been tougher IMO.

The one thing that I so admire about Singler is his focus on the floor. He does not get into it with other players and does not go crazy about foul calls for the most part. He just plays.

I think Wojo would literally run through a wall if that is what it took to win. I see that you said Singler is as tough as any player you have seen. I still have to give Wojo the 1% nod :)

weezie
07-16-2010, 09:03 PM
The one thing that I so admire about Singler is his focus on the floor. He does not get into it with other players and does not go crazy about foul calls for the most part. He just plays.

Yeah, there's just "something" about Singler that drives opposing players plain crazy... maybe it's just that smile that drips platinum. He's steel Blue, stone cold fierce, and I'll give him that 1% and raise it about 100%.
Singler has it and knows how to use it. After that wrist injury in Houston, I feared the Devils were in deep peril. He could barely hold the scissors to cut down the net! God bless him; Kyle out-toughed the pain.
Goodness sakes, he's the real deal.
And in response to some of you folks above, he's one good looking young man. Seriously.

oldnavy
07-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Yeah, there's just "something" about Singler that drives opposing players plain crazy... maybe it's just that smile that drips platinum. He's steel Blue, stone cold fierce, and I'll give him that 1% and raise it about 100%.
Singler has it and knows how to use it. After that wrist injury in Houston, I feared the Devils were in deep peril. He could barely hold the scissors to cut down the net! God bless him; Kyle out-toughed the pain.
Goodness sakes, he's the real deal.
And in response to some of you folks above, he's one good looking young man. Seriously.

I agree with you Weezie. He not only is tough, but he looks tough. He has a kind of scary stare that just cuts through you. One of my pet peeves in sports is atheltes who feign injury or who roll around on the floor like they are are having a grand mal, just to hop back up a min later and be OK. Drama!! I love the way Kyle pops right up, no drama and moves on. Tough as nails. He gets my vote over Wojo as the toughest. Close but I give Kyle the nod.

slower
07-17-2010, 09:12 AM

I think Wojo would literally run through a wall if that is what it took to win. I see that you said Singler is as tough as any player you have seen. I still have to give Wojo the 1% nod :)

Wojo was more animated in his toughness. Floor-slapping and constant motion, etc. There's NO wasted motion with Kyle. He just keeps going forward, over, around or through whatever is in his path. Doesn't make dramatic shows of his toughness. Doesn't need to. Kyle is inevitable.

JStuart
07-18-2010, 09:33 AM
goes in:

Upset of the year
Play of the year
Game of the year

SoCal

...and UNC fans rush Franklin Street in celebration, just like 1999.
It seems the ball gets closer and closer to the rim each replay I see. Just thankful it missed!

DevilWearsPrada
08-06-2010, 08:13 PM
The ESPY awards are on again. I didn't get to see the beginning, when they were on. Great to see the DUKE players representing!!!!

Go DUKE!!!:cool:

Verga3
08-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Wojo was more animated in his toughness. Floor-slapping and constant motion, etc. There's NO wasted motion with Kyle. He just keeps going forward, over, around or through whatever is in his path. Doesn't make dramatic shows of his toughness. Doesn't need to. Kyle is inevitable.

Wojo and Kyle....it's a tie.