PDA

View Full Version : Best Duke Athlete?

tecumseh
07-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Is this the best athlete Duke has produced recently???
http://www.andrewskurka.com/info/aboutskurka.php

roywhite
07-13-2010, 05:04 PM
That's impressive.

Best Duke athlete ever? That could be quite a discussion.

It could end up being decathlete Curtis Beach (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/track/2009-05-06-curtis-beach-decathlon_N.htm) who just finished his freshman year, unfortunately with some injury problems.

Dick Groat, Dave Sime, Grant Hill, Ace Parker are just a few names that would have to be in the conversation.

jimsumner
07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Dave Sime was a world-record holder in track and field and an Olympic medalist.

He was a baseball All-America.

He played football for Duke.

He was a national-class youth speed skater.

Tough to top that.

DevilHorns
07-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Dick Groat.

Two big sports:

Baseball (MLB: 8x allstar, 2x world series champ, NL MVP, batting champ)

Basketball (NCAA hall of fame, NCAA single season scoring record at the time, 1st team all-America, Player of the year (Helms, UPI)).

tecumseh
07-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Yeah I don't really think he is the best athlete but for grit and determination and willingness to suffer he might have no recent peer

4decadedukie
07-14-2010, 06:21 AM
One more vote for Dick Groat (although Groat my not qualify within tecumseh's request for "recently").

Jarhead
07-14-2010, 11:01 AM
One more vote for Dick Groat (although Groat my not qualify within tecumseh's request for "recently").

If "recently" is to be used for a criterion for recognition in sports then we should expel most of the Hall of Fame members in any sport, and void their records. There is no doubt in my mind that Groat was an athlete of the highest order. As a freshman at Duke I was exposed to real basketball for the first time in my life. The center of attention was Dick Groat, as fine a point guard that Duke has ever had. That was 60 years ago.

Here was a young man who arguably invented the jump shot as a means for avoiding charging fouls, who was All American in two sports, baseball and basketball, two years running, who went straight from the Duke campus to the starting shortstop for the Pittsburgh Pirates, and who deserved Baseball Hall of Fame honors as much as his infield partner, Bill Mazeroski, did. Dick was no stranger to batting titles and MVP honors during his baseball career. Who knows what else he could have accomplished had Branch Rickey allowed him to continue playing for the Pistons where he was drafted third in the first round of the NBA draft.

So lets leave "recent" out of the requirements for Greatest Duke Athlete. Let's give them all consideration going all the way back to Billy Werber 80 years ago, Ace Parker, Ernie Jackson, Dave Sime, Grant Hill, Skip Alexander...
My vote? Yeah. It would be Groat.

Olympic Fan
07-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Here was a young man who arguably invented the jump shot as a means for avoiding charging fouls, who was All American in two sports, baseball and basketball, two years running, who went straight from the Duke campus to the starting shortstop for the Pittsburgh Pirates, and who deserved Baseball Hall of Fame honors as much as his infield partner, Bill Mazeroski, did. Dick was no stranger to batting titles and MVP honors during his baseball career. Who knows what else he could have accomplished had Branch Rickey allowed him to continue playing for the Pistons where he was drafted third in the first round of the NBA draft.

Jarhead, while I agree with your point that we can't exclude old-time athletes -- and with the point that Groat has to be in the discussion as Duke's greatest athlete -- as a baseball nut, I have to take issue with your point that Groat deserves HOF honors in baseball "as much as his infield partner, Bill Mazeroski did."

Yeah, Groat was no stranger to batting titles and MVP honors -- he won one of each, both in the same year. Actually, his 1960 MVP was one of the great miscarraiges of justice -- teammate Roberto Clemente, who hit "only" .314 (to Groat's .325) was a significantly better player in '60 (he scored more runs, drove in more runs and was a much, MUCH better defensive player). But the voters didn't like Clemente, who was very much a victim of anti-Latin racism, so they gave it to Groat.

I'm not saying Groat was not a fine player. He was an excellent offensive shortstop -- no power and few walks, but he hit a lot of singles and doubles. The problem with projecting him as a Hall of Famer is that he was a terrible defensive shortstop -- he makes Derek Jeter look like Ozzie Smith. He led the league in errors five times and never sniffed a gold glove. And while he was a good offensive player for a SS -- he was not Ernie Banks (or Derek Jeter).

In fact, in a 1958 poll of National League managers, a year after Groat had his first really good season, hitting .315 -- he was voted the seventh best SS in the eight-team league. He was that bad defensively.

That's what seperates him from Mazeroski. In offensive terms, they were very similiar players (Groat had slightly higer averages, Maz had a bit more power). Relative to the positions they played, advantage Groat -- Groat was a better than average offensive SS; Maz was a slightly worse than average offensive 2B

The difference was that while Groat was a terrible defensive SS, Maz was the greatest defensive second-baseman in the history of the game -- and it's not even close. Maz's defensive edge at second is greater than the defensive edge of any player at any other position.

Does that warrent HOF election?

To me, that's a debatable issue. But I can't see where Groat's numbers make him a HOF candidate. Similarity scores suggest that the most similar player to him in baseball history was Gary Templeton -- check his offensive numbers ... very similar to Groat.

Michael Hoban, a PhD, published a monograph in 2008 that delved extensively into Hall of Famer careers -- specifically those who deserved election and those who didn't. He argued that Maz did NOT quite meet the standard for HOF election -- as great as his defensive was, it didn't quite make up for his lackluster offense.

On the other hand, he never mentions Groat -- although he explores 11 SSs that either deserve election (Bill Dahlen, Barry Larkin, Alan Trammell) or don't quite make it (Vern Stephens, Jim Fregosi, Tony Fernandez, Bert Campanaris are close, but just short).

Of course, that's one man's opinion, but Hoban is a respected sabrematrician. What's really significant about his monograph is that Groat doesn't even enter the discission.

And while we're giving opinions, I'd have to vote with Jim Sumner as to Duke's greatest athlete. Dave Sime was the greatest sprinter in the world in the mid-1950s ... only a remarkable string of bad luck (which Jim documented in a story last year) prevented him from winning multiple gold medals in the 1956 and 60 Olympic Games. He was an All-American outfielder at a time when Duke baseball was a powerhouse. And he was a starting wide receiver on the football team. The speedskating success was before he got to Duke, but it indicates what a great athlete he was.

I'd like to suggest a couple of more candidates --

-- Gordon Carver was an all-conference football and basketball star. He led the basketball team to the '44 SC title and to three straight conference title games. He finished his career as the leading scorer in Duke basketball history. In football, he starred on the 1945 Sugar Bowl team and made the game-saving tackle in the win vs. Alabama. He was a second-round NFL draft pick. He lettered in track twice -- he earned nine varsity letters in three sports. Plus, as a senior, he played as a grad student -- he was a first-year at Duke med school.

-- Robert O'Mara -- the starting fullback on Duke's 1938 Rose Bowl team, he was also the starting center for the 1938 Duke basketball team, which won the SC title (the first in school history). In the finals, he outplayed Clemson A-A Banks McFadden (also a two-sport star).

-- Robert Gantt -- the son of one of Duke's first sports heroes (Bob "No Hit" Gantt was a great pitcher in the WWI era, when baseball was the big sport), Gantt was an end on the football team and twice won first-team All-America honors. He started at center for the basketball team -- he was a regular on the 22-2 team in 1942 and the 20-6 team in 1943 (when he was first-team All-SC). He and Carver were pretty much contemporaries (Gantt one year older). They had been teammates (along with Bones McKinny) at Durham High. I would say that Gantt was a better football player; Carver better in basketball. But they were both very good in both. BTW, Gantt also lettered in track.

-- Don Altman quarterbacked Duke to the 1961 Cotton Bowl (Duke's last bowl win) and was the star pitcher in the only Duke baseball team to play in the College World Series.

I could mention a bunch of others. Both Leo Hart and Jim Spanarkel were outstanding baseball pitchers. Remember Ray Farmer going from hitting a game-winning HR to beat Clemson in baseball to the spring football game. Dave Dunaway was a great WR in the 1960s and was a one-man track team. Brad Evans didn't turn out to be the superstar he was supposed to be, but he was a starter in baseball and later a starter at WR in football. Ed Newman was an All-American (and future NFL standout) in football and as a wrestler.

Jarhead
07-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Olympic fan, I'll have to agree with those other guys you mention, and with your assessment of Roberto Clemente. My reference to HOF for Groat was in comparison to Mazeroski. I saw several of the games while that infield was there, and I figured that Groat was at least the equal of Mazeroski. My thoughts on Groat's defensive capabilities were that his errors resulted from his getting to balls that others wouldn't even try to field. A lot of them resulted in errors, but they would have been hits otherwise. That's a negative in stats, but he made some darn good plays, too.

sagegrouse
07-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Dave Sime was a world-record holder in track and field and an Olympic medalist.

He was a baseball All-America.

He played football for Duke.

He was a national-class youth speed skater.

Tough to top that.

Sime was around when I was a student, although he was already in med school. I remember being really impressed with his "sweats" from the 1960 U.S. Olympic track team.

The old guys around Card Gym back in the day talked a lot about Joel Shankle, an all-around athlete and a mentor for Sime, who won a bronze in the high hurdles at the Melbourne Olympics.

sagegrouse
'Maybe not recent, but is seems like yesterday to me'

brevity
07-15-2010, 11:26 AM
By ther way, why is this on the OT board?

Same reason George Steinbrenner (rest in peace) is on the Main Board: mods on vacation.

phaedrus
07-15-2010, 11:32 AM
If the Olympic decathlon champion is "World's Greatest Athlete", then Duke's Great Athlete must surely be Tyler Clarke, Duke decathlon record-holder.

sagegrouse
07-15-2010, 11:58 AM
An old timer, now in his late 90's, Parker was a five-sport star in HS and played football, basketball, and baseball at Duke. He was a star in the NFL and a member of the pro football HOF, where he is the oldest surviving member. He also played for Connie Mack's Philadelphia A's for two years after Duke.

According to one of his Duke baseball pitchers: On days they weren't pitching, they were allowed to play golf. Parker would occasionally join them on the road and had no problem breaking 75 with any old set of clubs he happened to pick up. Sigh!

sagegrouse
'Now Ace Parker was a long time ago!'

jimsumner
07-15-2010, 03:05 PM
"Don Altman quarterbacked Duke to the 1961 Cotton Bowl (Duke's last bowl win) and was the star pitcher in the only Duke baseball team to play in the College World Series."

Not to be picky but Duke also played in the 1952 and 1953 CWS.

Eric Tipton probably deserves a shout-out. Hall of Fame college football back, also played seven seasons of major league baseball.

A word on Gordon Carver. By all accounts he was a great baseball player who switched to track because Wade thought it would better help his football development.

Spanarkel came to Duke in large part because Foster told him he could play baseball.

Sonny Jurgensen was a multi-sport athlete, a catcher/pitcher at Duke (try running on that arm), a great basketball player in h.s. and a youth tennis champion.

One of the unfortunate results of longer seasons and increased specialization is a reduction in multi-sport athletes. A pity.

Olympic Fan
07-15-2010, 03:23 PM
"Don Altman quarterbacked Duke to the 1961 Cotton Bowl (Duke's last bowl win) and was the star pitcher in the only Duke baseball team to play in the College World Series."

Not to be picky but Duke also played in the 1952 and 1953 CWS.

Eric Tipton probably deserves a shout-out. Hall of Fame college football back, also played seven seasons of major league baseball.

A word on Gordon Carver. By all accounts he was a great baseball player who switched to track because Wade thought it would better help his football development.

Spanarkel came to Duke in large part because Foster told him he could play baseball.

Sonny Jurgensen was a multi-sport athlete, a catcher/pitcher at Duke (try running on that arm), a great basketball player in h.s. and a youth tennis champion.

One of the unfortunate results of longer seasons and increased specialization is a reduction in multi-sport athletes. A pity.
I should have said that Altman quarterbacked Duke's last bowl win and last CWS appearance.

Jim, you are right that Eric Tipton deserves mention ... and sage, you might have the winner -- Ace Parker was an incedble all-around athlete. I was talking to a Va Tech official back when they came into the league and in 2003, he was still griping about losing Parker to Wade ... he called Parker the greatest athlete to ever come out of Virginia (Take that, Ron Curry!).

I didn't know until I looked it up that he played two games for the Duke basketball team in 1937.

I knew Sonny Jurgeson was a great high school basketball player. Every summer, North Carolina holds high school all-star games in Greensboro. When Sonny came out of Wilmington, he passed up the football all-star game and played in the East-West basketball game.

BTW: Looking up the CWS info, I noticed something interesting -- in both 1953 and 1961, Duke was eliminated in extra innings by Boston College. Quite a coincidence.

CLT Devil
07-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Just going to give a shout out to another two-sport star:

Quentin McCracken (sp).

Heck of a Football player and then went on to play MLB Baseball.

Ray Farmer was a great all around athlete as well. I must defer to the posters above me, but I loved these two guys growing up.

roywhite
07-15-2010, 03:52 PM
If the Olympic decathlon champion is "World's Greatest Athlete", then Duke's Great Athlete must surely be Tyler Clarke, Duke decathlon record-holder.

Well, I'm not sure I follow your logic.

I mentioned Curtis Beach because he possibly could become a world class decathlete and an Olympic and World Championship competitor in the decathlon. Beach broke long-standing high school records in the decathlon. Similar to a McDonald's All-American or a 5-star football recruit, that can sometimes lead to stardom in college and beyond (or not). An Olympic medal in the decathlon would be very impressive in a discussion of "greatest athlete" in nearly any grouping.

As of today, I would not include Clarke or Beach in a serious discussion of Duke's greatest athlete.

FWIW, I think I would go with either Dave Sime or Dick Groat.

phaedrus
07-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Well, I'm not sure I follow your logic.

I mentioned Curtis Beach because he possibly could become a world class decathlete and an Olympic and World Championship competitor in the decathlon. Beach broke long-standing high school records in the decathlon. Similar to a McDonald's All-American or a 5-star football recruit, that can sometimes lead to stardom in college and beyond (or not). An Olympic medal in the decathlon would be very impressive in a discussion of "greatest athlete" in nearly any grouping.

As of today, I would not include Clarke or Beach in a serious discussion of Duke's greatest athlete.

FWIW, I think I would go with either Dave Sime or Dick Groat.

An Olympic decathlete is stacked up next to the best Olympic athletes - swimmers, basketball players, sprinters. They are dubbed World's Best Athlete because their sport demands a versatility of athletic talents that is unmatched by other sports.

Similarly, a Duke decathlete - Beach or Clarke - stacked up to the best Duke athletes, exhibits a range of skills unmatched by other Duke athletes. They have the vertical leap of a Plumlee (or closer than you'd think), the speed of a wide receiver (at least over 100 meters), the strength to put a very respectable shot, and the coordination to do some very technically-demanding events like pole vault, discus, javelin, and hurdles.

Essentially, the idea that the best decathlete is the best athlete is premised on the idea that that sport is the ultimate test of athletic versatility. That premise is as true at the college level as it is at the Olympic level.

Of course, the not insignificant point I've left out is that our best decathletes haven't been the best decathletes in the NCAA, while some of our athletes in other sports have been at the top of their sports. Nonetheless, I think a top-notch decathlete always deserves consideration in this conversation.

burnspbesq
07-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Save some room on that list for Becca Ward. Barring injury or burnout, she could win medals at four, or even five, Olympics before she's done.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-06-2021, 08:07 AM
Bumping this thread for better appreciation of Don Altman!

hallcity
05-06-2021, 08:58 AM
I think Nancy Hogshead (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Hogshead-Makar) may have the strongest claim. She won three gold medals and a silver at the 1984 summer Olympics as a swimmer.

uh_no
05-06-2021, 10:59 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Beach

uh_no
05-06-2021, 11:00 AM
Save some room on that list for Becca Ward. Barring injury or burnout, she could win medals at four, or even five, Olympics before she's done.

haha this didn't age so well. She didn't want to do the international thing anymore after she came to duke. decided to do other things with her life.

richmclean
05-06-2021, 02:55 PM
I should have said that Altman quarterbacked Duke's last bowl win and last CWS appearance.

Our last bowl win was in 2015 vs. Indiana but carry on!

CrazyNotCrazie
05-06-2021, 03:05 PM

You just referenced a post from 2010 so it was accurate at the time but carry on!

Tripping William
05-06-2021, 03:05 PM

What was the date of the post you quoted? Did it precede 2015? Because Olympic Fan (may he RIP) passed away in 2018. I miss Oly.

Pghdukie
05-06-2021, 03:06 PM
Remember, the infield surfaces were not pristine as they are in today's game. I will cite Yankee great Tony Koubek who undoubtedly will agree with me !
I will cast my vote for Dick Groat also. To play 2 sports professionally is one thing. To succeed in both merits attention.

sagegrouse
05-06-2021, 03:23 PM

What was the date of the post you quoted? Did it precede 2015? Because Olympic Fan (may he RIP) passed away in 2018. I miss Oly.

The last bowl win was December 27, 2018 against Temple, 56-27.

Until Spurrier's last team went bowling (sans Steve), Duke had only accepted bids to the then four major bowls and may have been the only team to play in all four, winning one game each at the Sugar, Orange and Cotton bowls and losing at the Rose Bowl twice despite being favorites. (Wallace Wade, of course, won the Rose Bowl as the Alabama coach.)

dukelifer
05-06-2021, 05:27 PM

I think Duke has three bowl wins in a row - 2 since 2015

DU82
05-06-2021, 05:46 PM
The last bowl win was December 27, 2018 against Temple, 56-27.

Until Spurrier's last team went bowling (sans Steve), Duke had only accepted bids to the then four major bowls and may have been the only team to play in all four, winning one game each at the Sugar, Orange and Cotton bowls and losing at the Rose Bowl twice despite being favorites. (Wallace Wade, of course, won the Rose Bowl as the Alabama coach.)

Before the playoff-BCS era, I believe there were ~4 schools that had WON ‘all four major bowls, and ~8 that had been in all four. Georgia Tech, Alabama, Notre Dame, Georgia won. Ohio State, Penn State andTexas added the fourth/last win since the BCS championship game started. (Probably more, didn’t check.). Since the Rose Bowl became B1G and PCC/PAC 8/10/12 in 1947, it was the toughest to get (until the BCS ‘era opened it up.)

johnb
05-06-2021, 11:20 PM
George McAfee deserves some mention. He attended 1937-1940

As a senior, he won the Southern Conference 100 meter dash and batted .353 as a centerfielder in baseball.

He played football for Duke from 1937 and 1940, including the 1938 Iron Dukes. They won 2 conference titles in his 3 years. He was 1st team All-American as a running back. His senior year, he led the team in rushing, receiving, scoring, kickoff returns, punt returns, interceptions, and punting.

Drafted 2nd overall in the 1940 NFL Draft, McAFee starred with the Chicago Bears, earning All Pro as a running back as they won NFL championships in 3 of his 4 years in the NFL.

At the end of his 2nd year, 1941, the US entered WWII. McAfee enlisted in the US Navy and missed almost 4 complete seasons. He returned for two years after the war.

Before he metamorphosed into a Field, Green Bay Coach Earl "Curly" Lambeau once called McAfee "the most talented back the Packers ever faced.”

Last I could find data, McAfee still led the NFL in lifetime punt return average.
https://www.profootballhof.com/top-20-punt-return-average/

johnb
05-06-2021, 11:30 PM
Before the playoff-BCS era, I believe there were ~4 schools that had WON ‘all four major bowls, and ~8 that had been in all four. Georgia Tech, Alabama, Notre Dame, Georgia won. Ohio State, Penn State andTexas added the fourth/last win since the BCS championship game started. (Probably more, didn’t check.). Since the Rose Bowl became B1G and PCC/PAC 8/10/12 in 1947, it was the toughest to get (until the BCS ‘era opened it up.)

Right—Rose would have been a tough get outside of those 2 conferences.

Btw, Oklahoma football does not like to be left out of conversations. They’ve won the Orange (12-8), Sugar (6-2), Cotton (2-1), and Rose (1-1).

Indoor66
05-07-2021, 09:58 AM
George McAfee deserves some mention. He attended 1937-1940

As a senior, he won the Southern Conference 100 meter dash and batted .353 as a centerfielder in baseball.

He played football for Duke from 1937 and 1940, including the 1938 Iron Dukes. They won 2 conference titles in his 3 years. He was 1st team All-American as a running back. His senior year, he led the team in rushing, receiving, scoring, kickoff returns, punt returns, interceptions, and punting.

Drafted 2nd overall in the 1940 NFL Draft, McAFee starred with the Chicago Bears, earning All Pro as a running back as they won NFL championships in 3 of his 4 years in the NFL.

At the end of his 2nd year, 1941, the US entered WWII. McAfee enlisted in the US Navy and missed almost 4 complete seasons. He returned for two years after the war.

Before he metamorphosed into a Field, Green Bay Coach Earl "Curly" Lambeau once called McAfee "the most talented back the Packers ever faced.”

Last I could find data, McAfee still led the NFL in lifetime punt return average.
https://www.profootballhof.com/top-20-punt-return-average/

Then he moved back to Durham and founded McAfee Oil Co. It delivered fuel oil to homes and businesses in Durham an surroundings.

George was a fixture at Durham Sports Club meeting and events at the old Civic Center. He was also s founding member of Iron Dukes when Tom Butters got that started. He was an all around good man.

MartyClark
05-07-2021, 02:42 PM
I think Nancy Hogshead (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Hogshead-Makar) may have the strongest claim. She won three gold medals and a silver at the 1984 summer Olympics as a swimmer.

I don't want to revive an age old debate about who is an athlete and what it means to be an athlete. I was a modestly decent college wrestler for a few years and felt the sting of people discounting the athleticism and coordination of wrestlers in other sports. They were largely correct but there were many exceptions to that alleged rule.

I greatly admire swimmers but, for the most part, nobody talks about their athleticism and my experience with swimmers is that they weren't very graceful or athletic on dry land.

Nancy Hogshead, who I wasn't familiar with, was obviously a great swimmer. I'd put Dave Simes and many Duke basketball players ahead of her as the best Duke athlete.

johnb
05-07-2021, 03:02 PM
Then he moved back to Durham and founded McAfee Oil Co. It delivered fuel oil to homes and businesses in Durham an surroundings.

George was a fixture at Durham Sports Club meeting and events at the old Civic Center. He was also s founding member of Iron Dukes when Tom Butters got that started. He was an all around good man.

I read up on him a few times since he’s a very distant cousin. From the sounds of it, George attended a lot of Duke games in many sports, every year for a long time. It also sounds like he didn’t deny his elite sports background but was straightforward and understated about the old days. He also, apparently, didn’t talk about his years in the Navy during the war, either by telling war stories or wondering what coulda been (as in, he left the nfl during his mid 20’s for his 4 year enlistment). Different era, of course, but I did get the impression that he’d have been a great guy to know (oddly enough, we were likely watching games around the same field while I was at Duke, but I wouldn’t have known him from Adam).

DoubleBlue
05-07-2021, 03:06 PM
I greatly admire swimmers but, for the most part, nobody talks about their athleticism and my experience with swimmers is that they weren't very graceful or athletic on dry land.

Each sport has its challenges and to rise to the top you must master that combination of speed, strength, agility, etc. Perhaps a good measure of athleticism is a multi-sport athlete, but there aren't many of them any more. For example, Jim Thorpe, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders to name a few.

Nowadays, to rise to the top it seems you must specialize. However, having said that, and having played most sports myself to some extent, I've always felt that basketball has the best overall athletes. Quickness, jumping ability, strength, hand-eye coordination, etc. Decathletes don't have time to play team sports, although they are very versatile and would probably excel at one of them.

I would put Zion Williamson as Duke's top athlete of all time. He could have played football, baseball, soccer or probably anything else he tried. He has exceptional strength, agility, jumping ability, quickness, hands, touch... as well as a team-oriented attitude. A combination that tops them all by far in my opinion.

Phredd3
05-07-2021, 03:23 PM
I don't want to revive an age old debate about who is an athlete and what it means to be an athlete. I was a modestly decent college wrestler for a few years and felt the sting of people discounting the athleticism and coordination of wrestlers in other sports. They were largely correct but there were many exceptions to that alleged rule.

Nancy Hogshead, who I wasn't familiar with, was obviously a great swimmer. I'd put Dave Simes and many Duke basketball players ahead of her as the best Duke athlete.

This post is objectionable on so many levels that I can't bring myself to respond in detail. Suffice it to say that I think Nancy Hogshead, Olympian and #1 world-ranked swimmer, would be an outstanding choice as "best Duke athlete". Other choices may also be worthy. I will leave it at that.

sagegrouse
05-07-2021, 03:40 PM

Sime, as in "Jim."

the term "best athlete" is treacherous. It is complicated by the fact that track and field at the Olympics has always been called "athletics." And, no, I don't think a discussion of best athlete should be confined to a discussion of running and jumping feats.

I would settle for a discussion of "most successful" in sports.

jimmymax
05-07-2021, 04:02 PM
Wow - re the swimmers and land thing. My "is it a sport" yardstick is that if you can smoke and play then it ain't a sport. This means pool/billiards, darts, and, yes, golf are out. Swimming is definitely in!

uh_no
05-07-2021, 04:13 PM
Wow - re the swimmers and land thing. My "is it a sport" yardstick is that if you can smoke and play then it ain't a sport. This means pool/billiards, darts, and, yes, golf are out. Swimming is definitely in!

Phredd3
05-07-2021, 04:49 PM

This is also a worthwhile story about Nancy Hogshead-Makar (https://deadspin.com/how-a-career-ends-nancy-hogshead-makar-olympic-swimmi-5930611). One look at that picture is all you need to determine she was a dedicated athlete, but the article is even better - just be aware that parts are very traumatic and positively heart-wrenching. That's one strong lady.

MartyClark
05-07-2021, 04:54 PM

Yeah, I get it and you may be right. I was the head lifeguard for a number of summers at a huge suburban Chicago, pool complex. I was the rare non swim team guy. None of the swim team guys could play basketball, softball (16 " in Chicago in those days), tennis, or touch football. They could all kick my you know what in the pool but they were ungainly out of water.

Their athletic skills were limited to swimming. Could I be wrong on this? Absolutely. But swimmers in my day were tough, focused and relatively uncoordinated in other sports.

Hate me if you want, it's okay.

jimmymax
05-07-2021, 05:26 PM
No hate Marty -- all friends here. Plus, you were a favorite back in the day: red cheeks and brush cut...

MartyClark
05-07-2021, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I get it and you may be right. I was the head lifeguard for a number of summers at a huge suburban Chicago, pool complex. I was the rare non swim team guy. None of the swim team guys could play basketball, softball (16 " in Chicago in those days), tennis, or touch football. They could all kick my you know what in the pool but they were ungainly out of water.

Their athletic skills were limited to swimming. Could I be wrong on this? Absolutely. But swimmers in my day were tough, focused and relatively uncoordinated in other sports.

Hate me if you want, it's okay.

Not to add to the disagreement but in thinking about this, I was reminded of my glory days 50 years ago. Our suburban Chicago team had an annual softball game against the neighboring lifeguards from Mount Prospect, Illinois. We played 16 inch softball (kitten ball to some) without gloves in those days. The ball was so stinking hard in early innings but softened up by the 7th inning. Pitchers could step off the mound and give up to three fakes on a high arcing, slow, lob to the plate. Unlike fast pitch, 12" softball, the ball was always in play and, in my opinion, athleticism was necessary to succeed.

Mount Prospect had a tall, athletic first baseman. He hit two balls further than I have ever seen. Talking with him after the game, I learned he was Dave Kingman, pitcher for USC and subsequent MLB player with huge home runs, low batting average, and huge strikeout ratio. At one point, before the steroid era, I think he was the only MLB player to have 400 homeruns and not make the Hall of Fame

johnb
05-07-2021, 05:50 PM
Any argument that casually dismisses swimmers should start within 15 seconds of the arguer completing the 100m butterfly. If completing it legally were the requirement, most argues will have drowned.

On a separate note, does anyone recall why ABC cancelled the Superstars competition?

DU82
05-07-2021, 06:02 PM
Any argument that casually dismisses swimmers should start within 15 seconds of the arguer completing the 100m butterfly. If completing it legally were the requirement, most argues will have drowned.

On a separate note, does anyone recall why ABC cancelled the Superstars competition?

Declining ratings, I’m sure.

MartyClark
05-07-2021, 06:09 PM

Nah, very specific skill of strength and endurance. Nothing to do with coordination. hand eye coordination, agility, lateral movement, foot speed, jumping ability, foot speed, reaction time or other generally recognized elements of athletic ability.

I'm not dissing swimmers, who I admire, but they are generally the geeks of non water sports.

Bay Area Duke Fan
05-07-2021, 06:40 PM
Sime, as in "Jim."

the term "best athlete" is treacherous. It is complicated by the fact that track and field at the Olympics has always been called "athletics." And, no, I don't think a discussion of best athlete should be confined to a discussion of running and jumping feats.

I would settle for a discussion of "most successful" in sports.

Seems to me that Dick Groat clearly wins that designation.

Basketball - 2-time AA, NPOY, 1st retired jersey, College Hall of Fame, NBA (one season).

Baseball - 2-time AA, College Hall of Fame, NL MVP, World Series Champion, 5-time All-Star.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-07-2021, 10:29 PM
I don't bet, but I'd put my money on Ace Parker.
https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/national-sports/vp-sp-our-greatest-hits-ace-parker-20200402-zpgoiiaif5hw5iutlmmlvqnyza-story.html

sagegrouse
05-07-2021, 11:00 PM
I don't bet, but I'd put my money on Ace Parker.
https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/national-sports/vp-sp-our-greatest-hits-ace-parker-20200402-zpgoiiaif5hw5iutlmmlvqnyza-story.html

I had a friend on the baseball team back in the day who reminisced about Ace. Parker was about 50. He said, neck down, he looked like a 21 year old. Playing golf with Parker on the road when my friend wasn't scheduled to pitch, Ace would pick up any old set of clubs and shoot 75.

bundabergdevil
05-07-2021, 11:07 PM
This is also a worthwhile story about Nancy Hogshead-Makar (https://deadspin.com/how-a-career-ends-nancy-hogshead-makar-olympic-swimmi-5930611). One look at that picture is all you need to determine she was a dedicated athlete, but the article is even better - just be aware that parts are very traumatic and positively heart-wrenching. That's one strong lady.

Wow. Thanks for sharing this. A tough read about an amazing lady.

DevilHorse
05-08-2021, 09:59 AM

Interesting about Nancy Hogshead. I recall being in a Drs' office and seeing a picture of Hogshead behind him. Being a Dukie, I asked why. He said that she had exercise-induced bronchospasm and had overcome it. She was inspiring other people who had this breathing disorder and could be an elite athlete.

Larry
DevilHorse

Wander
05-08-2021, 02:45 PM
Great discussion here, learned a lot. Also good to have now, because in 10–15 years Zion will have caused the conversation to be not very interesting.

sagegrouse
05-08-2021, 03:23 PM
Great discussion here, learned a lot. Also good to have now, because in 10–15 years Zion will have caused the conversation to be not very interesting.

I hope you're right (and I hope I'm here to see it), but Zion needs to figure a way to stay on the court. He's been injured or unavailable every year -- one at Duke, two with the Pelicans.

roywhite
05-08-2021, 05:21 PM
I hope you're right (and I hope I'm here to see it), but Zion needs to figure a way to stay on the court. He's been injured or unavailable every year -- one at Duke, two with the Pelicans.

To be fair to Zion, he is second on his team currently in games played, second in games started, and second in minutes played per game. The broken finger is unfortunate (and the Pelicans think it is more than that) but he has shown an ability to play major minutes this year.

sagegrouse
05-08-2021, 06:24 PM
Interesting about Nancy Hogshead. I recall being in a Drs' office and seeing a picture of Hogshead behind him. Being a Dukie, I asked why. He said that she had exercise-induced bronchospasm and had overcome it. She was inspiring other people who had this breathing disorder and could be an elite athlete.

Larry
DevilHorse

Does Nancy Hogshead get extra credit for being the second person on the giant Jockey underwear billboard on Times Square? The first was Oriole pitcher Jim Palmer.

Jim3k
05-09-2021, 12:57 AM
Nah, very specific skill of strength and endurance. Nothing to do with coordination. hand eye coordination, agility, lateral movement, foot speed, jumping ability, foot speed, reaction time or other generally recognized elements of athletic ability.

I'm not dissing swimmers, who I admire, but they are generally the geeks of non water sports.

I have two brothers who were each All-American swimmers, both Yale ('65, '67), butterfly (world class) and free. And both were varsity (one was all-Ivy) lacrosse players (attack, defense). Their hand-eye was stunning. So, in my experience, swimmers can be good athletes outside the pool. [Both say that their best back then wouldn't be very good today. Maybe respectable, but maybe not.]

Anyway, I will defend many swimmers as multi-sport athletes. Even though I was barely a decent intra-mural athlete at Duke--meaning not an athlete at all. :cool:

sagegrouse
05-09-2021, 08:44 AM
I have two brothers who were each All-American swimmers, both Yale ('65, '67), butterfly (world class) and free. And both were varsity (one was all-Ivy) lacrosse players (attack, defense). Their hand-eye was stunning. So, in my experience, swimmers can be good athletes outside the pool. [Both say that their best back then wouldn't be very good today. Maybe respectable, but maybe not.]

Anyway, I will defend many swimmers as multi-sport athletes. Even though I was barely a decent intra-mural athlete at Duke--meaning not an athlete at all. :cool:

You are making the point, House J mate, that great athleticism doesn't disqualify one from becoming a great swimmer.