PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving Article In Sports Illustrated

NYC Duke Fan
07-13-2010, 08:59 AM
If this has been posted previously, then please accept my apology and you can delete it.

In this week's SI, the one with Serena Williams on the cover, there is a nice article about Irving on page 30....There is also something about Austin Rivers and his shooting and wearing a Duke National -Title tee shirt and shorts, following the gold medal game.

ThePublisher
07-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I haven't looked at that issue yet, mostly because I don't think serena is a respectable athlete, especially to be a tennis player.
But I will check it out now. Go Kyrie!

wilko
07-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I haven't looked at that issue yet, mostly because I don't think Serena is a respectable athlete, especially to be a tennis player.

Huh, at the risk of going horribly off topic; I find that interesting.
I'd be curious to know more about why you feel that way.

I used to not like the Williams Sisters either, but they grew on me. I'll actually stop channel surfing to watch a little bit of Serena and I don't even like tennis.

She has a dynamite sex appeal I have learned to appreciate. I know I'm not alone in this... However, others think she looks too much like a man, so to each his own I guess.

But to dis her as an athlete... I cant argue with the titles.

Its kinda like dissing Armstrong in cycling. You don't have to like him, or have a keen appreciation for cycling, but how can you detract from the accomplishments?

weezie
07-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Kyrie is going to fit in quite nicely at Duke.
He's got that little "something" that makes so many other folks out there, just feel so particularly passionate about Blue Devils....one way or the other. Imagine asking Wall for his autograph :D:D:D.
Can't wait to see our Kyrie in action!

AZLA
07-13-2010, 04:13 PM
It was compelling to watch Serena win her first US Open and step out of the shadows of her sister. I believe she also worked on getting a certificate or degree to bolster her interest in fashion -- which speaks to her sense of business. She and her sister are self made, and fierce competitors, and so that earns my respect. However, her unwarranted verbal tirade on the line judge (foot fault?!!) last year and her father's salty attitude toward the press and the tennis establishment has worn thin on some. I think the Williams' have matured well on their own, considering they have encountered some resistant attitudes to the barriers they broke, and should be commended more than criticized IMO. But overall, international tennis has become really boring recently for whatever reason (sans Nadal).

And that's why I watch Duke basketball... (qualifying statement for board relevance).

Huh, at the risk of going horribly off topic; I find that interesting.
I'd be curious to know more about why you feel that way.

I used to not like the Williams Sisters either, but they grew on me. I'll actually stop channel surfing to watch a little bit of Serena and I don't even like tennis.

She has a dynamite sex appeal I have learned to appreciate. I know I'm not alone in this... However, others think she looks too much like a man, so to each his own I guess.

But to dis her as an athlete... I cant argue with the titles.

Its kinda like dissing Armstrong in cycling. You don't have to like him, or have a keen appreciation for cycling, but how can you detract from the accomplishments?

roywhite
07-13-2010, 04:37 PM
This is the Kyrie Irving article in Sports Illustrated. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1171801/index.htm)

Not anything new to those that have been following Kyrie. Luke Winn uses that childish spelling of our University that our light blue neighbors use.

Orange&BlackSheep
07-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I haven't looked at that issue yet, mostly because I don't think serena is a respectable athlete, especially to be a tennis player.

This comment is so beyond ridiculous that I would not even know where to begin to rip to shreds. You are talking about the person who is arguably the best female tennis player ever. She is strong, fast, and tough. If she is not an athlete, then I don't know what is.

cato
07-13-2010, 05:43 PM
This comment is so beyond ridiculous that I would not even know where to begin to rip to shreds. You are talking about the person who is arguably the best female tennis player ever. She is strong, fast, and tough. If she is not an athlete, then I don't know what is.

I think you may have missed the qualifier before the word "athlete." Reasonable minds can differ, I suppose, but there are a lot of things about Serena (other than her tennis) that people take issue with. Everyone points to her explosion at that little lineswoman (with reason), but the thing that has always rubbed me the wrong way is her inability to be gracious in defeat.

Serena is a magnificent talent. But at the moment, I prefer to follow the men, where you have equally compelling talent, with more class.

CEF1959
07-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Kyrie's a FOREIGNER?!! I mean, more than most folks from NJ?

Dang, there goes his run at the presidency. Shane will have to find a different running mate.

dyemeduke
07-13-2010, 07:23 PM
I think you may have missed the qualifier before the word "athlete." Reasonable minds can differ, I suppose, but there are a lot of things about Serena (other than her tennis) that people take issue with. Everyone points to her explosion at that little lineswoman (with reason), but the thing that has always rubbed me the wrong way is her inability to be gracious in defeat.

Serena is a magnificent talent. But at the moment, I prefer to follow the men, where you have equally compelling talent, with more class.

???...Federer and Nadal have a lot of class...but throughout the history of tennis, there have been many great players with little class. I think the statement that Serena is NOT a respectable athlete is absolutely ludricous. Sure, her blowup at the lines judge was a little off, but that happens all the time in sports. She only got scrutinized because she's a female. That's sucks for them. We expect them to be competitive, but at the same time, they're supposed to be lady-like. Tennis is one of the more athletic sports you can play, and she is one of the greatest tennis players of all time. She by no means has a bad of a reputation as Lance does in his sport.

Back to topic though - nice read on Kyrie.

lilblue
07-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Kyrie is going to fit in quite nicely at Duke.
He's got that little "something" that makes so many other folks out there, just feel so particularly passionate about Blue Devils....one way or the other. Imagine asking Wall for his autograph :D:D:D.
Can't wait to see our Kyrie in action!

I witnessed John Wall turn away about 20 young autograph seeking fans at the FIBA Americas in San Antonio (watching Q Miller), and not during the actual game which I would understand, but during breaks and intermissions... People that were seated around me expressed their displeasure and stated that they felt he was an unappriative jerk and needed to get use to it. He did however reluctantly sign some autographs during halftime. I for one am glad that he did not come to Duke... didn't seem to be the behavior of a Duke type kid!

Cisco
07-13-2010, 08:08 PM
???...Federer and Nadal have a lot of class...but throughout the history of tennis, there have been many great players with little class. I think the statement that Serena is NOT a respectable athlete is absolutely ludricous. Sure, her blowup at the lines judge was a little off, but that happens all the time in sports. She only got scrutinized because she's a female. That's sucks for them. We expect them to be competitive, but at the same time, they're supposed to be lady-like. Tennis is one of the more athletic sports you can play, and she is one of the greatest tennis players of all time. She by no means has a bad of a reputation as Lance does in his sport.

Back to topic though - nice read on Kyrie.

It Doesn't matter what you guys say about Serena Williams, the title on the front page reads: "Love Her, Hate Her: She's the Best Ever"
Speaks for itself there dukies.

hq2
07-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Actually, the feeling I'm getting about Kyrie is that he's too good. As in, John Wall one-and-done good. I hope it doesn't happen, but it's looking more and more possible. Well, whatever. Regardless of what happens after next year, next year we are indeed going to be mighty damn good. If Kyrie leads us to another championship, then he can skedaddle to the pros and leave us all feeling happy for his having spent some time with us, and none of us will be upset about it.

basket1544
07-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Actually, the feeling I'm getting about Kyrie is that he's too good. As in, John Wall one-and-done good. I hope it doesn't happen, but it's looking more and more possible. Well, whatever. Regardless of what happens after next year, next year we are indeed going to be mighty damn good. If Kyrie leads us to another championship, then he can skedaddle to the pros and leave us all feeling happy for his having spent some time with us, and none of us will be upset about it.
Speak for yourself. I'm always upset to lose a Duke player. Hopefully Kyrie wants a college education to go with his basketball education he gets next year. I want to see Kyrie and Austin Rivers on the court together.

verga
07-14-2010, 12:38 AM
great article on Kyrie and he does have one and done talent. In regard to autographs, i always liked the Bill Russell approach. When asked why he doesn't sign autographs (even for his own teammates) he stated, " i don't sign autographs but i will gladly shake your hand". I think thats the way to go.

Jim3k
07-14-2010, 12:55 AM
This is the Kyrie Irving article in Sports Illustrated. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1171801/index.htm)

Not anything new to those that have been following Kyrie. Luke Winn uses that childish spelling of our University that our light blue neighbors use.

Roy...Roy...Roy...

You entirely missed the guts of that SI issue. How could you???

I hereby correct your error of omission.
(http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1165686/1/25/index.htm)

Plus, the link sets straight the view that Serena looks like a man. (Man...some people...)

DevilHorns
07-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Speak for yourself. I'm always upset to lose a Duke player. Hopefully Kyrie wants a college education to go with his basketball education he gets next year. I want to see Kyrie and Austin Rivers on the court together.

Sure. But IMO if going to the pros is what Kyrie wants in 1 year, then, well, he should go. I would want him to get an education as well... and thats something he can do during his NBA career if going pro early is in his interests.

hq2
07-14-2010, 09:24 AM

I'd love to see him stay four, get his education, and have his jersey hung too. However, we have to have realistic expectations of what to expect. If he is ready for the pros, then we'll have to accept whatever decision he makes. Hopefully, when he's here, he'll give us a season (or two?) to remember.

johnb
07-14-2010, 11:44 PM
thoughts

autographs are embarrassing; what's the point? plenty of people (including john cleese and alan alda, among those who are famous, mature, and smart) don't give autographs.

athletes are often jerks; to single serena out for criticism is attributable, perhaps, to reasonable standards of decorum but could also be attributable to the sort of racism that makes her outbursts more likely.

If kyrie is ready for the lottery after a year, he should have a really good reason to stay. some do, and i'd love it, but few do it (including such upstanding guys as luol deng and elton brand and such already-affluent guys as mike dunleavy).