PDA

View Full Version : Maui 2011

tecumseh
07-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Excuse if this is redundant but I see numerous posts of how Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Tenn are going to Maui 2011 but no official word for will come until after 2010. My questions to poster are 1) is this true
2) has anyone been to this tourney looks awesome like they are playing in a high school gym so you are right there and get to see top players

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I googled that, and found a lot about the 2011 tourney from articles in 2009.
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/nov/30/vols-invited-2011-maui-invitation-tournament/

It sounds right though, Duke usually plays on a 4 year cycle, and we were there last in 2007. (We won :))

juise
07-12-2010, 06:57 PM
It sounds right though, Duke usually plays on a 4 year cycle, and we were there last in 2007. (We won :))

And 4 years before that, Duke won in 2003. I vividly remember K's sideline reenactment of Dahntay's monster dunk against Miami of Ohio. :)

SilkyJ
07-12-2010, 07:04 PM
And 4 years before that, Duke won in 2003. I vividly remember K's sideline reenactment of Dahntay's monster dunk against Miami of Ohio. :)

damn i don't even remember that dunk or the re-enactment. any video/link??

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't remember a Maui tourney with such a high number of big name teams, and in all likelyhood all 4 of us will be coming off of respectable NCAA tourney runs in 2011. Any of those four could be in the Final Four given the right circumstances, that's a pretty insane lineup if all 4 are going.

edit..changed typo date.

SilkyJ
07-12-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't remember a Maui tourney with such a high number of big name teams, and in all likelyhood all 4 of us will be coming off of respectable NCAA tourney runs in 2010. Any of those four could be in the Final Four given the right circumstances, that's a pretty insane lineup if all 4 are going.

I'm not sure I follow- which teams are you talking about that made these NCAA tourney runs? The only ones I've seen mentioned are from the below post and the article posted earlier in the thread, which not including Duke amounts to

Tennessee
Georgetown
Kansas
Michigan

Tennessee made it to the elite 8, which was more than respectable, but the others were complete duds with Mich not even making the tourney. Is there another group of teams going that I didn't see? Apologies if so.

Excuse if this is redundant but I see numerous posts of how Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Tenn...

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure I follow- which teams are you talking about that made these NCAA tourney runs? The only ones I've seen mentioned are from the below post and the article posted earlier in the thread, which not including Duke amounts to

Tennessee
Georgetown
Kansas
Michigan

Tennessee made it to the elite 8, which was more than respectable, but the others were complete duds with Mich not even making the tourney. Is there another group of teams going that I didn't see? Apologies if so.
Not MADE, but have the potential to make (in 2010). Of course we have no idea what they'll look like in 2011, or how they will actually do next year..but the potential is there for Duke, Georgetown, Kansas and Tennessee to run deep.

Edit..I just looked at my post, I meant to have 2011 as the date..my bad. I mean this coming season's tourney.

Duvall
07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't remember a Maui tourney with such a high number of big name teams, and in all likelyhood all 4 of us will be coming off of respectable NCAA tourney runs in 2011. Any of those four could be in the Final Four given the right circumstances, that's a pretty insane lineup if all 4 are going.

edit..changed typo date.

That's an awfully generous assessment of Georgetown and Tennessee. They should have decent teams this year, but predicting lengthy stays in the NCAA Tournament is a bit much. Kansas should have fully reloaded by 2012, though.

pfrduke
07-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Are you sure we won in 2003? I think that our 2003 pre-season tournament (i.e., the tourney we played in to start the 2003-04 season) was in Anchorage (where we lost to Purdue).

Also, since Dahntay graduated in 2003, he likely didn't play in the 2003 Maui invitational. I think we may have been there in 2001, though.

pfrduke
07-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Are you sure we won in 2003? I think that our 2003 pre-season tournament (i.e., the tourney we played in to start the 2003-04 season) was in Anchorage (where we lost to Purdue).

Also, since Dahntay graduated in 2003, he likely didn't play in the 2003 Maui invitational. I think we may have been there in 2001, though.

We were indeed there in 2001 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maui_Invitational_Tournament#Past_champions.2C_run ners-up.2C_and_MVPs), and the dunk you're remembering may have been against Ball St., not Miami of Ohio. Interestingly enough, according to this year's media guide, we have never played Miami of Ohio.

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2010, 08:25 PM
That's an awfully generous assessment of Georgetown and Tennessee. They should have decent teams this year, but predicting lengthy stays in the NCAA Tournament is a bit much. Kansas should have fully reloaded by 2012, though.
I thought we were a decent team heading into this year. My vote, along with most of us, was I'd be happy with elite 8. Just saying.

Newton_14
07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
We were indeed there in 2001 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maui_Invitational_Tournament#Past_champions.2C_run ners-up.2C_and_MVPs), and the dunk you're remembering may have been against Ball St., not Miami of Ohio. Interestingly enough, according to this year's media guide, we have never played Miami of Ohio.

I remember the dunk vividly. Do not recall the reenactment from K, nor the tourney. It was definitely fall of 2001 so it had to be Maui like u say.

I would bet that dunk is on U-Tube. He came from the right hand baseline and threw down a very Grant Hill-esque dunk. Definitely a wow moment.

94duke
07-12-2010, 09:12 PM
I remember the dunk vividly. Do not recall the reenactment from K, nor the tourney. It was definitely fall of 2001 so it had to be Maui like u say.

I would bet that dunk is on U-Tube. He came from the right hand baseline and threw down a very Grant Hill-esque dunk. Definitely a wow moment.

I remember the Coach K reenactment.
IIRC, He was showing the ref how Dahntay went OVER the defender (hands extended overhead) , so it couldn't possibly be a charge (as it was called).

juise
07-12-2010, 09:36 PM

Yipes. I was way off. Clearly not as a vivid a memory as I thought. Come to think of it, I think I was on a flight home from Duke for Thanksgiving during that game and was only able to watch highlights.

I usually go to goduke.com and check the season archive for that stuff. I knew it was a red-colored jersey mid-major and I trusted my memory much more than I should have. Obviously, as a 2004 graduate, I should have known that Dahntay wouldn't have been there in November 2003. I still can't find video of the dunk.

tecumseh
07-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Went to my first final four this year.......all this talk whets my appetite a Maui tourney would be awesome and not just for the Duke games......might even come back without a tan

oldnavy
07-13-2010, 07:38 AM
I went to the Maui in 2008, the year UNC won it. My wife and I treated ourselves to the trip for our 20th annv. First let me say that it is by far the most fun I have ever had on a vacation. Even though I was surrounded by UNC fans for the most part, I had a blast.

Details; The Convention Center they play in is little bigger than the size of Cameron without the upper level. It really is not much bigger than a high school gym. Our seats were on the next to top row, and we were eye level with the goal.

The access to the players is unbelievable. We stayed in the same hotel that Oregon and Notre Dame stayed in. I physically bumped into Mike Brey coming around a corner. I was the only person on the elevator with ND point guard Tory Jackson who was in full uniform heading to the Texas game in which he guarded TJ Abrams. We chatted a little on the ride. I got to hold the Oregon Nike special addition shoe made for the tournament while having a snack in the hotel bar late one night. A group of Oregon players and parents were in there and I just asked one of the kids to see the shoe he was carrying. And perhaps the neatest thing was when I was snorkeling, I found myself surrounded by several very large bodies, who I suspected to be either ND or Oregon players, but who turned out the be the Tarheel team. They had come down the beach to snorkel by the cliffs at our hotel's beach. I got to kid Ty Lawson about not jumping off the cliff into the water while his girlfriend climbed up the rocks to take the plunge. He told me she was "crazy". I actually spoke to Roy Williams while he was on the beach watching Deon Thompson try to get out of the water, but was struggling due to the wave action. I asked if he was worried that some of them might get hurt, and he said something along the lines that he had told a couple of them they could not climb the cliff, but that the kids needed to be kids. It was actually a pretty quick, but pleasant exchange. And lastly, I had a nice long talk with Luke Harangody's mom and dad at the pool. Found out that Luke had really wanted to go to Indiana (his dad and brother had played football there), but Luke was snubbed by Mike Davis until his senior year, so he went to ND.

All that and you are in Hawaii. Amazing trip. Oh, during the Indiana/Chaminade game, I actually sat court side in a folding chair that was reserved for a VIP Indiana fan who did not show up. Chaminade almost upset IU in that game so it was really cool to be that close. Had a few conversations with some of the refs during pre-games, and talked to Jay Bilas, Sean McDonough, and Bill Rafferty a couple of time as well.

Sorry for the rambling post, but I wanted to give you guys a snapshot of what a GREAT time it was, and that was without Duke being there. Needless to say, I am going back in 2011 and picking the hotel that the devils are staying in this time!! There was a pre-tourny meet and greet banquet that you could purchase which was great for getting autographs and pictures, but we didn’t attend that one. You could still get autographs after the games when players came out of the gym to get on the bus. I will say this, Hansbrough was the rudest of the UNC players, the rest were very cordial, but Tyler was not. He brushed by everyone including the cutest little kids to get out of there. I was not impressed with him in that setting.

soccerstud2210
07-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I went to the Maui in 2008, the year UNC won it. My wife and I treated ourselves to the trip for our 20th annv. First let me say that it is by far the most fun I have ever had on a vacation. Even though I was surrounded by UNC fans for the most part, I had a blast.

Details; The Convention Center they play in is little bigger than the size of Cameron without the upper level. It really is not much bigger than a high school gym. Our seats were on the next to top row, and we were eye level with the goal.

The access to the players is unbelievable. We stayed in the same hotel that Oregon and Notre Dame stayed in. I physically bumped into Mike Brey coming around a corner. I was the only person on the elevator with ND point guard Tory Jackson who was in full uniform heading to the Texas game in which he guarded TJ Abrams. We chatted a little on the ride. I got to hold the Oregon Nike special addition shoe made for the tournament while having a snack in the hotel bar late one night. A group of Oregon players and parents were in there and I just asked one of the kids to see the shoe he was carrying. And perhaps the neatest thing was when I was snorkeling, I found myself surrounded by several very large bodies, who I suspected to be either ND or Oregon players, but who turned out the be the Tarheel team. They had come down the beach to snorkel by the cliffs at our hotel's beach. I got to kid Ty Lawson about not jumping off the cliff into the water while his girlfriend climbed up the rocks to take the plunge. He told me she was "crazy". I actually spoke to Roy Williams while he was on the beach watching Deon Thompson try to get out of the water, but was struggling due to the wave action. I asked if he was worried that some of them might get hurt, and he said something along the lines that he had told a couple of them they could not climb the cliff, but that the kids needed to be kids. It was actually a pretty quick, but pleasant exchange. And lastly, I had a nice long talk with Luke Harangody's mom and dad at the pool. Found out that Luke had really wanted to go to Indiana (his dad and brother had played football there), but Luke was snubbed by Mike Davis until his senior year, so he went to ND.

All that and you are in Hawaii. Amazing trip. Oh, during the Indiana/Chaminade game, I actually sat court side in a folding chair that was reserved for a VIP Indiana fan who did not show up. Chaminade almost upset IU in that game so it was really cool to be that close. Had a few conversations with some of the refs during pre-games, and talked to Jay Bilas, Sean McDonough, and Bill Rafferty a couple of time as well.

Sorry for the rambling post, but I wanted to give you guys a snapshot of what a GREAT time it was, and that was without Duke being there. Needless to say, I am going back in 2011 and picking the hotel that the devils are staying in this time!! There was a pre-tourny meet and greet banquet that you could purchase which was great for getting autographs and pictures, but we didn’t attend that one. You could still get autographs after the games when players came out of the gym to get on the bus. I will say this, Hansbrough was the rudest of the UNC players, the rest were very cordial, but Tyler was not. He brushed by everyone including the cutest little kids to get out of there. I was not impressed with him in that setting.

oldnavy, this is a great post. i will actually be moving out to oahu this fall and will be getting married next june. my fiance's dad and family is stationed out there and she is finishing up her nursing degree and commissioning december of 2011 so i will be out there. and can easily entice my soon to be wife for a trip to maui.... to relax....... and watch duke...... :) do you remember where you stayed and how you got tickets for the games/pre game banquets, etc?

oldnavy
07-13-2010, 08:09 AM
oldnavy, this is a great post. i will actually be moving out to oahu this fall and will be getting married next june. my fiance's dad and family is stationed out there and she is finishing up her nursing degree and commissioning december of 2011 so i will be out there. and can easily entice my soon to be wife for a trip to maui.... to relax....... and watch duke...... :) do you remember where you stayed and how you got tickets for the games/pre game banquets, etc?

We stayed at the Sheraton. Go to the Official Maui Inv website. Be careful, I got a nasty virus off of a fake Maui site. Anyway we booked through Oahu Travel. They are the offical travel agency for the tourny. They have all the different packages that you can choose from. They can set you up with banquet tics, game tics, etc.. The only thing is they will not have anything for the 2011 event for a while yet. I called and left my name on a wait list to be notified as soon as the packages are available. You may want to do the same. Plus I will call back and follow through. I remember in 2008 we almost missed out on getting tics, so I want to be very early for this one. Best of luck with your marriage and your future wife's military career. Is she going to be a Navy Nurse? If so, let me know and I can give her a few people to look up via a private message on this site.

soccerstud2210
07-13-2010, 08:29 AM
We stayed at the Sheraton. Go to the Official Maui Inv website. Be careful, I got a nasty virus off of a fake Maui site. Anyway we booked through Oahu Travel. They are the offical travel agency for the tourny. They have all the different packages that you can choose from. They can set you up with banquet tics, game tics, etc.. The only thing is they will not have anything for the 2011 event for a while yet. I called and left my name on a wait list to be notified as soon as the packages are available. You may want to do the same. Plus I will call back and follow through. I remember in 2008 we almost missed out on getting tics, so I want to be very early for this one. Best of luck with your marriage and your future wife's military career. Is she going to be a Navy Nurse? If so, let me know and I can give her a few people to look up via a private message on this site.

awesome thanks! good to know the tickets sell out fast! she is actually Army. ROTC right now as she finishes up at HPU. just graduated from LDAC (officer training) yesterday! thanks for the best wishes. are you still active or retired? thanks for your service!

dolver
07-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Details; The Convention Center they play in is little bigger than the size of Cameron without the upper level. It really is not much bigger than a high school gym.

Not sure where they play now, but if it the same gym they played in back in the 90s, then it is indeed a high school gym. The Lahaina Lunas used to battle my Seabury Hall Spartans back when I lived there.

I would always go to the Maui invitational as a little guy. Best memory: getting an autograph from Grant Hill after one of the games. That is in contrast to going up to Magic Johnson one year that he was in attendance. And asking "Sir, may I please have your autograph" and getting a negative response. As I dropped my head and walked away, I took a moment to look back only to see him taking fan pictures with two beautiful women. Grant: 1, Magic: 0.

oldnavy
07-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Not sure where they play now, but if it the same gym they played in back in the 90s, then it is indeed a high school gym. The Lahaina Lunas used to battle my Seabury Hall Spartans back when I lived there.

I would always go to the Maui invitational as a little guy. Best memory: getting an autograph from Grant Hill after one of the games. That is in contrast to going up to Magic Johnson one year that he was in attendance. And asking "Sir, may I please have your autograph" and getting a negative response. As I dropped my head and walked away, I took a moment to look back only to see him taking fan pictures with two beautiful women. Grant: 1, Magic: 0.

Not a high school. If I remember it correctly it is the Lahaina Civic Center or something like that. Not a fancy place by any standard, but not shabby either. GREAT forum to watch games.

CEF1959
07-13-2010, 06:11 PM
No video, but here's a story from 2001 with a good photo of Dahntay putting things right against Ball State.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2001/Nov/22/sp/sp03a.html

tecumseh
07-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Not a high school. If I remember it correctly it is the Lahaina Civic Center or something like that. Not a fancy place by any standard, but not shabby either. GREAT forum to watch games.
On Wiki they say it only seats 2,400 that is high school like and definite on the bucket list of sports watching. I mean Allen Fieldhouse seats 16,000 and Cameron seats almost 10,000 and Georgetown well the Verizon Center is a 20,000 seat place so it is extremely intimate by major college basketball watching standards.

2011 is bad for me though

dolver
07-15-2010, 09:48 AM

Sorry, it is the Lahaina Civic Center, but it is where Lahainaluna High School plays all of its games, so it is basically viewed as a high school court. Again, that at least was the case years ago.

ACCBBallFan
07-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Chaminade, Connecticut, Kentucky, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Virginia, Washington, Wichita State is a very good Maui field for Nov 22-24 2010 also

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13475890?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

oldnavy
07-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Chaminade, Connecticut, Kentucky, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Virginia, Washington, Wichita State is a very good Maui field for Nov 22-24 2010 also

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13475890?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

The field for this tournament is usually very good. The year I went it was UNC, ND, Texas, Oregon, Chaminade, Alabama, St Joes, and Indiana. They try to get a rep from the ACC, SEC, Big East, Big Ten, Pac 10, Big 12, a mid-major plus the home school.

Not sure who will be there with Duke. I have heard Tenn, and maybe Gonzaga? Anyone know the field?

tecumseh
07-15-2010, 08:47 PM
At least that is what some Tenn website is saying not sure who else is rumored but they make it seem like a poorly kept secret

Nugget
07-15-2010, 09:44 PM
The consensus I've seen from various schools' sites is:

Duke
Kansas
Tennessee
Georgetown
Michigan
Butler
Chaminade, and
either Memphis or a Pac 10 school

burnspbesq
07-16-2010, 01:29 AM
We were indeed there in 2001 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maui_Invitational_Tournament#Past_champions.2C_run ners-up.2C_and_MVPs), and the dunk you're remembering may have been against Ball St., not Miami of Ohio.

It was 2001, and it was against Ball State, and it was ridiculous. I was there, surrounded by drunken Ball State fans. Sure shut them up.

burnspbesq
07-16-2010, 01:32 AM
If you love college basketball, you have to go to Maui once. It's like going to Wrigley or Anfield; it's a quasi-religious experience. You just have to do it.

tecumseh
07-16-2010, 02:42 PM
I guess that makes it onto the bucket list in no order
1) Maui
2) Final Four
3) Cameron Indoor.
4-10 ???

Andy7207
07-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Yipes. I was way off. Clearly not as a vivid a memory as I thought. Come to think of it, I think I was on a flight home from Duke for Thanksgiving during that game and was only able to watch highlights.

I usually go to goduke.com and check the season archive for that stuff. I knew it was a red-colored jersey mid-major and I trusted my memory much more than I should have. Obviously, as a 2004 graduate, I should have known that Dahntay wouldn't have been there in November 2003. I still can't find video of the dunk.

http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/retro-duke.asp

You have to scroll down to "Dahntay Jones flies high in Maui"

left_hook_lacey
07-17-2010, 09:53 PM

Wow, great post. Are you a travel agent in your retirement? :) Either way, you have me sold on this trip. I'm definitely looking into it. Thanks!

oldnavy
07-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Wow, great post. Are you a travel agent in your retirement? :) Either way, you have me sold on this trip. I'm definitely looking into it. Thanks!

Go if you can, it is a great trip! I am definitely going back next November.

Duvall
10-14-2010, 12:23 PM
The consensus I've seen from various schools' sites is:

Duke
Kansas
Tennessee
Georgetown
Michigan
Butler
Chaminade, and
either Memphis or a Pac 10 school

Looks like Butler got replaced with a small community college from California (http://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/27355263584). Field appears to be Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Michigan, Georgetown, Tennessee, Memphis and Chaminade. Should be a fun tournament.

94duke
10-14-2010, 12:30 PM
The field should be announced today:

http://twitter.com/EASportsMauiInv

(for "future" reference)
http://www.mauiinvitational.com/teams/fieldsfuture.asp

El_Diablo
10-14-2010, 12:42 PM
It's official: http://twitter.com/EASportsMauiInv

"The 2011 participating teams are....Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Memphis, Michigan, Tennessee, UCLA and host Chaminade." 2 minutes ago via web

"It has the potential to be the strongest field in tournament history." 2 minutes ago via web

JasonEvans
10-14-2010, 12:49 PM
It's official: http://twitter.com/EASportsMauiInv

"The 2011 participating teams are....Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Memphis, Michigan, Tennessee, UCLA and host Chaminade." 2 minutes ago via web

"It has the potential to be the strongest field in tournament history." 2 minutes ago via web

Sick field.

I wonder how the brackets will be done. It is very possible we will miss out on a big matchup and get Chaminade in the opening game. I wold imagine they would try to put Duke and Kansas on opposite sides with an eye toward them playing in the championship.

--Jason "that is brutal field-- a fine test for us!" Evans

Duvall
10-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Sick field.

I wonder how the brackets will be done. It is very possible we will miss out on a big matchup and get Chaminade in the opening game. I wold imagine they would try to put Duke and Kansas on opposite sides with an eye toward them playing in the championship.

--Jason "that is brutal field-- a fine test for us!" Evans

Big names make for an exciting tournament, but I'm not sure that we can call the field brutal just yet. Chaminade is Chaminade, UCLA is rebuilding and may or may not be finished by then, Michigan and Tennessee may be breaking in new coaches by the fall of 2011. Kansas, Georgetown and Memphis should be more than solid, though.

Still, it would be nice to get in another game against the Wear twins. Two was just not enough.

Duke of Nashville
10-14-2010, 01:03 PM

Here is a link to the greatest Dunk's of Duke's History according to Duke Blue Planet. You'll have to click on Duke Dunk's at the bottom of the video selection.Dahntay's Dunk (http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/default.asp) is about a quarter of the way through....with Coach K's reaction. The team was Ball State.

pfrduke
10-14-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm sure this is a bit premature, but has anyone gone to the invitational before? If so, what's the process for tickets? Are they easy to come by? Those of us on the west coast are thinking of having a Hawaiian thanksgiving in 2011. :D

SCMatt33
10-14-2010, 02:14 PM
So apparently, they will be expanding the field in 2011 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5684722) It's still kind of vague, but it looks like this is being done to turn the event into a four-game tourney for top teams, and will have eight guaranteed quarterfinal slots similar to the four guaranteed semifinal slots that other tourneys had.

I know that a lot of people think that these "aren't really tournaments if you're guaranteed to advance," but I think that this is an important step for Maui long term. There is always the lure of Hawaii, but I could see it becoming a second tier tournament 10 or 20 years down the line without this. The teams that have their pick of tournaments are increasingly leaning towards four game tourneys to get the extra game on the schedule. In the 8 team format, the team that plays Chaminade essentially loses two games off of their schedule. Calipari (yes, I know that it's Calapari) has expressed his distaste for this side effect of Maui. Since the end of the two in four rule, Maui is the only 8 team tourney that Duke has participated in.

dukee94
10-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm sure this is a bit premature, but has anyone gone to the invitational before? If so, what's the process for tickets? Are they easy to come by? Those of us on the west coast are thinking of having a Hawaiian thanksgiving in 2011. :D

I've gone to it before (2001) and plan to go next year. In 2001 the two options for getting tickets were to go through the Iron Duke ticket office or buy directly from EA Sports. The Iron Dukes want to schedule your entire travel (airfare, hotel, etc.) which is definitely a pain, especially for people on the west coast with easier travel schedules. In 2001 we bought general admission tickets from EA Sports for the Duke games (under the basket). They released the tickets on a certain day/time and we bought them right away. I subscribed to the EA/Maui e-mail list and they sent out info about when everything would go on sale. The timing can get tough to get the specific games (Duke obviously) that you want. Of course, when we were there we ran into plenty of people from CA who had made their plans at the last minute and picked up tickets through various other methods.

weezie
10-14-2010, 04:04 PM
I subscribed to the EA/Maui e-mail list and they sent out info about when everything would go on sale.

Can you tell me how you did this? I looked at the site and can't see the link to subscribe to the email list. Thanks!

terrih
10-14-2010, 04:52 PM
I too am subscribed to their e-mail group. Today the e-mail below came to my inbox. Also, I was there 3 years ago when Duke won! Fan-flipping-tastic! I am planning to go again in 2011. Last time I just bought tickets thru the Maui site as soon as they were avaialble. They also sometimes have tickets available day of game, but i wasn't going to take that chance.

------------------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

EA SPORTS Maui Invitational Hosted by Chaminade University Announces

Four-Team Expansion to Grow Tournament to 12 Teams

Premier early-season college basketball tournament announces 2011 field; Duke, Kansas, Georgetown and UCLA headline

MAUI, Hawaii, October, 14 2010 – The EA SPORTSTM Maui Invitational® Hosted by Chaminade University today announced that starting in 2011 the tournament will expand from eight to 12 teams with the addition of four Division I institutions. The total number of tournament games will also expand from 12 games currently played on the island of Maui to a total of 23 games, which include 11 games played on the U.S. mainland.

Starting in 2011, the tournament will be played in three parts:
1. Opening Games:

a. Seven games between seven Maui-bound teams and four mainland teams.

b. These games will be played at the Maui-bound teams’ home arenas from Friday, Nov. 11 through Thursday, Nov. 17, 2011

2. Regional Games:

a. Four games played between four mainland teams

b. These games will be played at a mainland team's home arena from Saturday, Nov. 19 to Sunday, Nov. 20, 2011

3. Championship Round:

a. The current eight-team, three-day bracket event

b. These games will be played on Maui from Monday, Nov. 21 to Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2011.

The EA SPORTS Maui Invitational has not expanded its field since 1986, when the tournament grew from four to eight teams. Today’s expansion to 12 teams underscores the tournament’s position as the nation’s premier early-season college basketball tournament.

“We are excited for the growth and expansion of the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational,” Tournament Chairman Dave Odom said. “More teams from more conferences will now have a chance to show their best among the nation’s top teams in the premier early-season tournament.”

2011 Tournament Field

In conjunction with tournament expansion, the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational also announced the eight teams that will be bound for the 2011 tournament championship round at Maui's famed Lahaina Civic Center during Thanksgiving Week next year. Of the seven Division I institutions, there are a combined 20 NCAA National Championships and seven EA SPORTS Maui Invitational championships. The field also consists of three of the top eight winningest Division I men’s basketball programs (Duke, Kansas, UCLA). Along with the perennial tournament host school Chaminade University of Honolulu, the 2011 teams include: Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Memphis, Michigan, Tennessee and UCLA. The four newly-added Division I mainland tournament teams will be announced at a later date.

“The 2011 field has the potential to be the best field in tournament history,” Odom said. “The combination of rich basketball tradition and recent success should make for incredible competition.”

Duke,the 2010 Division I National Champion, returns to the island of Maui for a fifth time. The Blue Devils have a perfect 12-0 record in Maui under head coach Mike Krzyzewski and took home the 2007, 2001, 1997 and 1992 crowns. The Blue Devils are expected to start the season at the top of most polls.

Georgetown (1-2 in Maui) makes its second trip to the island after finishing fourth in 1999. The Hoyas finished 23-11 last year under head coach John Thompson III, who led Georgetown to back-to-back Big East regular season titles in 2007 and 2008.

Kansas (7-5), like Duke is heading back to Maui for the fifth time and is looking for its first Maui title since 1996 when center Raef Lafrentz won MVP. The Jayhawks lost three starters to the 2010 NBA Draft, but head coach Bill Self and his team should contend for the Big 12 title in 2011.

Memphis (6-6) also returns to Maui for a fifth time after finishing third in 2006 and 1992. Led by head coach Josh Pastner, the Tigers finished 24-10 last year and looks to return to the NCAA Tournament after playing in the NIT last year.

Michigan (8-3) lands in Maui for the fifth time and will look for its second title (1988). Head coach John Beilein will try to get his team to the NCAA Tournament for the second time in his four years at the helm. The Wolverines played in the second-ever Maui Invitational in 1985 when the field consisted of just four teams.

Tennessee (1-2) makes its second appearance at the Lahaina Civic Center. The Volunteers finished fourth in 2004 and look to capitalize on last year’s magical run to the Elite Eight behind head coach Bruce Pearl, who has reached the NCAA Tournament in each of his five seasons at Tennessee.

UCLA (6-3), the 2006 Maui champ, will visit the island for a fourth time. Head coach Ben Howland and the Bruins are looking to return to the NCAA Tournament where they made three straight Final Fours from 2006 - 2008.

Host Chaminade, under the tutelage of head coach Matt Mahar, looks for its first Maui win since upsetting Princeton in the 2007 tournament. Mahar has led the Silverswords to the 2006 and 2008 Pac West Championships.

The 2010 EA SPORTS Maui Invitational will celebrate a powerhouse year as Connecticut, Kentucky, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Virginia, Washington, Wichita State and host Chaminade University of Honolulu vie for the coveted early-season title Nov. 22-24 at Maui’s Lahaina Civic Center. As always, the action unfolds less than 1,000 yards from the Pacific Ocean.

The ESPN networks will once again offer live television coverage of all 12 tournament games. For the second consecutive year, every game will be produced in high definition on ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD and ESPNU HD, with the ESPN and ESPN2 games also streaming live on ESPN3.com.

EA SPORTS™ is one of the leading sports entertainment brands in the world and 2010 marks its tenth year as title sponsor of the Maui Invitational. With top-selling videogame franchises, award-winning interactive technology, global videogame competitions and breakthrough digital experiences, EA SPORTS delivers personal access to the emotion of sports through industry-leading sports simulation videogames, including Madden NFL football, FIFA Soccer, NHL® hockey, NBA LIVE basketball, NCAA® Football, Fight Night boxing, EA SPORTS MMA, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® golf, and EA SPORTS Active.

In addition to title sponsor EA SPORTS, other current tournament sponsors include the Maui Visitors Bureau, County of Maui Department of Parks and Recreation, Hawaii Tourism Authority, adidas and GEICO. The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa, Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa and Westin Maui Resort & Spa, all located in the beautiful Ka’anapali Beach Resort area, serve as host hotels for the thousands of fans and boosters who annually accompany their teams to Maui. KemperSports/KemperLesnik has operated the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational since 1990.

For complete Tournament information, visit the official Tournament Web site at mauiinvitational.com or to inquire about travel packages contact Oahu Travel, the official travel agent of the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational, at 800.826.3822. Follow the tournament on Twitter at @EASPORTSMauiInv and find us on Facebook for up-to-the-minute Tournament news.

About KemperLesnik and KemperSports
KemperLesnik is a sports marketing, events and public relations agency. It has produced communications programs and managed major national and international events for more than 30 years, including the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational college basketball tournament and numerous PGA TOUR affiliated events. For more information, visit www.kemperlesnik.com.

Its parent company, KemperSports, operates golf facilities as well as athletic clubs, lodging venues and major sporting events, including nationally ranked courses and tournament venues such as Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, Dorado Beach Resort & Club, The Glen Club, Harbor Shores, Desert Willow Golf Resort and Chambers Bay, host of the 2010 U.S. Amateur and the 2015 U.S. Open. For more information, visit www.kempersports.com.

#
Alex Prosperi – Media Coordinator
847.480.4886 office, 847.830.0284 cell
alex.prosperi@kemperlesnik.com
Palmer Moody – Media Director
847.480.2478 office, 847.804.2721 cell
palmer.moody@kemperlesnik.com
The EA SPORTS Maui Invitational is brought to you by Chaminade University, EA SPORTS, the Maui Visitors Bureau, the County of Maui Department of Parks and Recreation and Hawaii Tourism Authority. The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa, Sheraton Maui Resort and The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, all from the beautiful Kaanapali Beach resort area, serve as host hotels. Operated by KemperSports Marketing & Communications.

6th Man
10-14-2010, 05:17 PM
damn i don't even remember that dunk or the re-enactment. any video/link??

Go to DukeBluePlanet.com and on the right, 3rd option down called Duke dunks, you'll see that dunk and the Coach K re-enactment along with many other excellent dunks.

SilkyJ
10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Go to DukeBluePlanet.com and on the right, 3rd option down called Duke dunks, you'll see that dunk and the Coach K re-enactment along with many other excellent dunks.

Thanks, I've since seen it a couple of times. Love the K re-enactment!

BlueDevilBaby
10-14-2010, 07:05 PM
I went in 2001 with my Mom and had a blast. We had host school tickets through my cousin so could come and go as we pleased and watch other games than just Duke's. Got a picture with JD and remember DJ's dunk. I'd never really been that close to the action before and marveled at how fast the game can be and how tall these guys really are. We stayed in the condos on the other side of the golf course behind the main strip of hotels and had a gorgeous view. Even got to see the meteor shower at 3am, lying down on lawn chairs in the middle of the golf course. Not to mention we spent Thanksgiving with my cousin whom I rarely get to see. One of the absolute, best experiences of my life.

arydolphin
10-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Maui Invitational Email list signup: http://www.mauiinvitational.com/signup.asp

Duke: A Dynasty
10-15-2010, 04:16 AM
http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205012269

Duke is now in the field for Maui Invitational

weezie
10-15-2010, 09:15 AM

Thanks very much, I still can't see how I missed this. Appreciate your help. :)

pfrduke
10-15-2010, 11:43 AM

Thanks very much, I still can't see how I missed this. Appreciate your help. :)

Ary, many thanks. weezie, I missed it too, so don't feel too bad.

Exiled_Devil
08-15-2011, 05:58 PM

Signup is now on the front page (http://www.mauiinvitational.com/), and they are also on Twitter.

Looks like tickets are not yet open for general purchase.

Family is all booked for flights and a house rental on Front St. I'll be bummed if we miss out on tickets. But at least I'll be bummed on Maui.

mikegismynewhero
08-16-2011, 01:30 PM
i will be at KU this fall and personally hope that its a KU-DUKE final..make my life around campus a lot more fun since almost every piece of clothing i wear is duke...i tweeted nolan smith the other day asking him if i should rep duke around campus if it comes to the final and to my amazement he tweeted back! made my summer haha...he is seriously my favorite duke player ever. #barnone ...also i need advice..i have duke stickers on my car which i will be keeping at ku...should i take them off or not??

G man
08-18-2011, 11:22 PM
i will be at KU this fall and personally hope that its a KU-DUKE final..make my life around campus a lot more fun since almost every piece of clothing i wear is duke...i tweeted nolan smith the other day asking him if i should rep duke around campus if it comes to the final and to my amazement he tweeted back! made my summer haha...he is seriously my favorite duke player ever. #barnone ...also i need advice..i have duke stickers on my car which i will be keeping at ku...should i take them off or not??

Might be asking to get a window knocked out. I would be willing to bet that probably 99% of the student body would not do anything, but it only takes one drunk jerk.

mikegismynewhero
08-20-2011, 01:29 PM
wore my duke hat to breakfast this morning and nothing was said..and my car still looks good from my dorm window..i think itll be good...until duke beats down on ku in maui haha...but if anyone wants...i can give the inside scoop into what the feel around campus about ku basketball and how their season is goin..it would be interesting because like duke kansas has veterans leaving and an up-and-coming new core of players...thanks!

dukee94
08-24-2011, 03:14 PM
For anyone hoping to buy Duke tickets for Maui without the travel package your hopes just got a little smaller. There are no Duke tickets available in the general public sale that started today. You can buy tickets as a Tennessee fan and see our first game, but each ticket package (which would include all three Tennessee games) is $333.

https://www.mauiinvitational.com/products

Exiled_Devil
08-24-2011, 03:33 PM
For anyone hoping to buy Duke tickets for Maui without the travel package your hopes just got a little smaller. There are no Duke tickets available in the general public sale that started today. You can buy tickets as a Tennessee fan and see our first game, but each ticket package (which would include all three Tennessee games) is $333.

I just did that, as we are already booked in Lahaina and want to see at least one Duke game.

Anyone know some Tenessee fans who might want some later-round tickets?

Faison1
08-24-2011, 03:55 PM

That's unbelievable! My strength in math tells me that works out to be $111 per game. Seems kind of steep. Granted, the gym is tiny, and the up-close and personal aspect is definitely cool, but it still seems expensive.

Regardless, it remains on my bucket list.

terrih
08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
I saw Duke 4 years ago in Maui and am going again this year. I do not yet have tickets for this year and it looks like I may be out of luck. 4 years ago, I was able to buy All Tournament tickets and that was worth it to me. However, those weren't available this year, and while I almost spent $333 to see the Tennessee game, I didn't. I will just see if i can find stuff later, close to the games. I am so bummed, 4 years ago, it was really easy, this year, not so much.

Really wanted to go to the dinner the night before, but haven't seen any of those tickets available without the travel package either.

-Terri

DaveR
10-27-2011, 02:30 PM
I saw Duke 4 years ago in Maui and am going again this year. I do not yet have tickets for this year and it looks like I may be out of luck. 4 years ago, I was able to buy All Tournament tickets and that was worth it to me. However, those weren't available this year, and while I almost spent $333 to see the Tennessee game, I didn't. I will just see if i can find stuff later, close to the games. I am so bummed, 4 years ago, it was really easy, this year, not so much.

Really wanted to go to the dinner the night before, but haven't seen any of those tickets available without the travel package either.

-Terri
Last year the 3-game package was $300 ... well worth it, b/c I'm also a UConn alum :), and bought that package

In the weeks leading up to the tourney, individual game & day tickets could be found on StubHub - but to date, I don't see any available

... and of course you can try to buy some tix outside the venue - I don't know how difficult that will be this year, but given the strength of the field, I'm not going to risk it and will buy the Tenn package to guarantee I see at least 1 game

Hope that helps

DaveR
10-27-2011, 02:33 PM
(as mentioned above) I'm a Duke & UConn alum, and will be doing an event at a nightclub in Maui on Saturday 11/19

Venue Info - www.timbamaui.com
My Info - www.clubflipside.com

If any of you are in town that Sat, come through - would love to meet up

Dave

dukee94
11-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Anyone with travel plans to Maui, but no game tickets should call and check in with the Iron Duke ticket office. They possibly have some extras that they are offering out to members in some sort of priority preference. No guarantees, but worth a shot.

BlueDevilBaby
11-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Better to get tickets through Chaminade if possible. Fortunately, in 2001 a cousin in-law at the time worked there and got us tickets for the entire tournament on the Chaminade side, which is never full until the semis or final game. Not sure if that is possible otherwise. We could come and go as we pleased and pretty much sit where we wanted. Fans on the other side had to leave after their team's games.

oldnavy
11-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Better to get tickets through Chaminade if possible. Fortunately, in 2001 a cousin in-law at the time worked there and got us tickets for the entire tournament on the Chaminade side, which is never full until the semis or final game. Not sure if that is possible otherwise. We could come and go as we pleased and pretty much sit where we wanted. Fans on the other side had to leave after their team's games.

In 2008 there wasn't really "sides". They do have special fan sections behind the team benches and courtside for individual games. I think that there are a couple of different ticket options, but say you buy the Duke package, then you get into only the Duke games, but you get to sit behind the bench with other Duke fans. After the game you leave. In 2008 and this year we bought the general admission tickets. True, we are on the other side of the arena facing the benches and mixed in with all other fans, but we get to see all the games. And in truth the gym is so small, there is not a bad seat anywhere. In 2008 we were on the next to last row, but were eye level with the rim. It was the equivalent to being on the second or third row (up from the rail) in the upper section of Cameron, also in 2008 I actually moved down to courtside to watch the Indiana/Chaminade game and sat in the high dollar Indiana seats that were unsold.

nmduke2001
11-09-2011, 10:55 AM
if you are headed to Maui and want to play a round of golf, PM me. I'm hoping to play once. Maybe we can play together.

terrih
11-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Anyone with travel plans to Maui, but no game tickets should call and check in with the Iron Duke ticket office. They possibly have some extras that they are offering out to members in some sort of priority preference. No guarantees, but worth a shot.

-------------
Thank you so much for this recommendation. I got a call today and I got tickets! I am an Iron Duke and have been for a few years! Big payoff today!

westwall
11-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Maui is a week away, and we have 4 (2 couples) going although not on the charter. I have seen that terrih and nmDuke 2001 will also be there. Anyone else??

Jeff Frosh
11-14-2011, 01:27 PM
My brother (Duke '82) and I (Duke '80) will be there! Just got our tickets. Can't wait.

oldnavy
11-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Maui is a week away, and we have 4 (2 couples) going although not on the charter. I have seen that terrih and nmDuke 2001 will also be there. Anyone else??

My wife and I will be there Lord willing! Just - have - to - get - through - this - week.... :cool:

DaveR
11-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Arrive in Maui Friday eve ... see you there!

DR

nmduke2001
11-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Just saw Nate, Chris, Wojo and Jeff at the kiddie pool with their kids. It's kind of nice to see the Duke family growing.

Cameron
11-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Just saw Nate, Chris, Wojo and Jeff at the kiddie pool with their kids. It's kind of nice to see the Duke family growing.

Not to sound intruding, but would it be possible for you to perch yourself behind or in a palm tree and report to us what they're doing from time to time? It would be kind of a neat "inside look" at Duke Basketball.

Olympic Fan
11-21-2011, 01:11 AM
UCLA is in the other bracket and probably won't play Duke in Maui, but interesting news about the Bruins. It seems that bad-boy Reeves Nelson, coming off a two-game suspension for bad behavior, missed the team bus to the airport for the Maui trip:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1121-ucla-chaminade-20111121,0,5260024.story

He took a later flight and joined the team in Maui. No word whether Howland will impose any additional penalty on his wayward power forward.

nmduke2001
11-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Not to sound intruding, but would it be possible for you to perch yourself behind or in a palm tree and report to us what they're doing from time to time? It would be kind of a neat "inside look" at Duke Basketball.

Not a problem. Just ran into all of the teams in the lobby before the tip-off banquet. Our boys were just standing around signing autographs and taking pictures. Most of the players really seem to like Marshall. He was joking around and had a lot of the guys around him laughing. Otherwise, pretty businesslike.

An interesting note, our guys were the only team not wearing matching gear. All of the other teams were in some sort of travel gear that all match. Not us. Below is a picture. Not sure who the girl is, but I decided to take advantage of the team posing together with her and take a pic....Also, our managers seemed to be the only ones working. The other teams managers were in khakis and polos. Our managers looked like they just came from a practice and didn't have a chance to change out of the practice gear.

porkpa
11-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Where is the team and the Blue Devil nation staying in Maui?

Indoor66
11-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Not a problem. Just ran into all of the teams in the lobby before the tip-off banquet. Our boys were just standing around signing autographs and taking pictures. Most of the players really seem to like Marshall. He was joking around and had a lot of the guys around him laughing. Otherwise, pretty businesslike.

An interesting note, our guys were the only team not wearing matching gear. All of the other teams were in some sort of travel gear that all match. Not us. Below is a picture. Not sure who the girl is, but I decided to take advantage of the team posing together with her and take a pic....Also, our managers seemed to be the only ones working. The other teams managers were in khakis and polos. Our managers looked like they just came from a practice and didn't have a chance to change out of the practice gear.

Notice on the left edge of the picture, Coach K appears to be calmly standing in line, waiting for his turn.

pfrduke
11-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Just a note that the Michigan/Memphis game is on ESPN3, for those with access. Entertaining start so far.

nmduke2001
11-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Where is the team and the Blue Devil nation staying in Maui? The Hyatt. Pretty nice place. They have penguins. My daughter is very happy about that.

Notice on the left edge of the picture, Coach K appears to be calmly standing in line, waiting for his turn.He was actually talking the the Chaminade team. The whole team was hanging on his every word.

Indoor66
11-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Michigan/Memphis is on ESPN2.

J4Kop99
11-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Michigan/Memphis is on ESPN2.

Good game so far. Looks like Michigan has the size and athleticism to keep up with Memphis. I am just not positive that they have the offensive fire power.

Bluedog
11-21-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm cheering for Memphis. I don't want to see another rehash of the 1-3-1 we saw in the second round of the NCAAs last year and I like Pastner. UMich's style can really get teams out of sync. But I guess it doesn't really matter and we need to take care of business against TN first. Got a little chippy at the end of the first half and the players had to be separated; but just looked like a bit of shoving and no punches were thrown that I could tell. On another note, Len Elmore looks like he's aged a lot in the past year for some reason...

loldevilz
11-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Memphis doesn't seem to run much on offense and it shows. They just keep jacking up threes but they can't seem to hit them. They will lose this game if it continues to be a half-court game.

Tim Hardaway Jr seems like the best payer on the floor. I'm really impressed with the way he uses his size to create shots. I can't wait to see Duke take on one of these teams.

weezie
11-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Len Elmore looks like he's aged a lot in the past year for some reason...

Probably still getting over the humiliation of the new MD football uniforms.
Yes, ok, I of course don't wish Len any ill health... except maybe some laryngitis if it's his turn to color our games.

Memphis looks anvil-footed.

CDu
11-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Michigan is taking it to Memphis right now. Memphis looks undisciplined and disorganized on offense. Michigan is hitting a lot of shots, but they're getting open ones so it's not so ridiculous.

Part of me would rather be facing Memphis tomorrow (if we win today). I feel like playing a very athletic but disorganized team would be better than playing a slightly less athletic but good shooting and well organized team.

Either one will be a good test. Perhaps a better test than what the final game would be.

mkline09
11-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Michigan is taking it to Memphis right now. Memphis looks undisciplined and disorganized on offense. Michigan is hitting a lot of shots, but they're getting open ones so it's not so ridiculous.

Part of me would rather be facing Memphis tomorrow (if we win today). I feel like playing a very athletic but disorganized team would be better than playing a slightly less athletic but good shooting and well organized team.

Either one will be a good test. Perhaps a better test than what the final game would be.

I wonder how much of it is lack of discipline and how much has to do with the fact that Memphis could just be blinded by the bright highlighter yellow of Michigan's uniform.

But seriously I'm thinking I'd rather play Memphis too for the same reasons you mentioned, though playing a quick. long and athletic team like Memphis would be a good test too.

weezie
11-21-2011, 04:48 PM
I wonder how much of it is lack of discipline and how much has to do with the fact that Memphis could just be blinded by the bright highlighter yellow of Michigan's uniform.

Lol, I thought that too, but the tv cameras make it look a lot worse than those unis really are.

CDu
11-21-2011, 04:58 PM
70-56 Michigan with about 3 to go. Looks like we'll have to go through the Wolverines to win it.

CDu
11-21-2011, 05:02 PM
By the way, I just checked the schedule on DBR. It lists tomorrow's game as the semifinal and Wednesday's game as the championship. I feel like this is a bit presumptuous. If we lose tomorrow (or even today), then we will not be playing in the championship game on Wednesday.

I'm guessing this was pulled directly from GoDuke.com, so I don't blame DBR. But it seems like counting chickens proverb applies.

Hopefully we won't be jinxed. And sorry if someone has already pointed this out.

loldevilz
11-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Who is excited for a rematch of the 2nd round! I can't wait to relive that thriller!

mkline09
11-21-2011, 05:08 PM
By the way, I just checked the schedule on DBR. It lists tomorrow's game as the semifinal and Wednesday's game as the championship. I feel like this is a bit presumptuous. If we lose tomorrow (or even today), then we will not be playing in the championship game on Wednesday.

I'm guessing this was pulled directly from GoDuke.com, so I don't blame DBR. But it seems like counting chickens proverb applies.

Hopefully we won't be jinxed. And sorry if someone has already pointed this out.

The way I figured it Dave O'Brien proclaiming that Duke is undefeated in Maui is more than enough to jinx Duke in this tournament.

gwlaw99
11-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Watched the second half and wasn't really impressed with either team. Not bad, just nothing that sticks out at you.

edit: Len Elmore just (mistakenly) said Seth Curry comes off the bench.

diveonthefloor
11-21-2011, 05:21 PM
70-56 Michigan with about 3 to go. Looks like we'll have to go through the Wolverines to win it.

Don't count your chickens.

TN is a huge question mark. Martin's system is completely different than last years TN system, and Duke's scouting
is no doubt lacking for this first rounder.

We could be in for a surprise.....or we could be in for a blowout.
Neither would shock me.

MChambers
11-21-2011, 05:25 PM

TN is a huge question mark. Martin's system is completely different than last years TN system, and Duke's scouting

Neither would shock me.
All he wrote was that we'd have to go through Michigan to win it, which is true. Duke can't win this tournament without beating Michigan. Of course, Duke may not get the chance.

juise
11-21-2011, 05:25 PM

Neither would shock me.

I was thinking the same thing. I am still hoping Duke doesn't see Memphis in the second round. Either way, the second round game will be a challenge for Duke... a good growth opportunity and chance to beat a motivated (a team coming off a loss or a team that lost its last game to Duke) tournament team.

CDu
11-21-2011, 06:04 PM

Neither would shock me.

No chickens were being counted by me. In order to win the title, we'll have to go through Michigan. We'll also have to go through Tennessee. My comment didn't assume that we'd beat Tennessee - just that if we do beat Tennessee, we'll have to beat Michigan to win it.

I'm the one who just commented on GoDuke counting chickens with their schedule listing. I'm pretty aware of the possibility of losing this game.

juise
11-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Congrats to UCLA for getting its first win of the season. After only leading by 2 at half, I wasn't sure it would happen for them. Only one Wear brother played (don't want to call them twins... we all know the only twins in Maui are the Plumlees ;)), so they should win by twice as many next game.

Seriously though, it has to be encouraging for them to play like a tournament team for a half. I would mind seeing them advance far enough that Duke could get a crack at them in the finals if we can get by Michigan again. If Duke could have gotten a shot at Memphis and UCLA before playing tOSU next week, Duke could prove once and for all that Shabazz and Parker that Duke is the better program. :)

I'm going to check out the GTown/KU game. I'll be interested to see Tyler Adams in action.

loldevilz
11-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Hollis Thompson is a beast. Thats all.

juise
11-22-2011, 02:30 AM
Good competitive game between KU and Georgetown. The Hoyas really battled hard to stay in the game. I was sorta reminded of when Duke plays a really good Carolina team and has to make deep jumpers and tough runners while UNC is making layups and dunks. Thomas Robinson is so versatile. He would be a good test for Duke if both team share the same success tomorrow (win or lose).

In other news, I looked away and missed Tyler Adams' playing time. Apparently, he grabbed one board.

-jk
11-22-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm not at my tv just now, but it looks like Memphis and Tenn just went into a second overtime.

-jk

feldspar
11-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Maymon has been an absolute beast inside. He's making our bigs' defensive job against him yesterday look like a clinic.

Bluedog
11-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Memphis player just needed to dribble twice to win the game with nobody around after a steal under the basket. Or simply hold the ball. Instead he traveled. Tennessee with one last chance down two - officials at monitor to determine time, but probably only 0.5 seconds left. TN and Memphis play each other again in January.

Edit: TN missed a shot at the buzzer and go down in 2OT. Memphis was up 10 at the half.

Edit 2: Also, due to double OT, Duke game tipoff going to be delayed. :(

Gthoma2a
11-22-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't mean to be mean, but I don't understand how any recruit could seriously go to UCLA right now. The reason is that they have talented players, but it just isn't happening. Josh Smith is a solid big man, but the team is outplayed and, I think, out-coached routinely by average opposition. This game with Kansas is going to get embarrassing.

Gthoma2a
11-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Nevermind. Kansas seems to be playing very poorly... I hope the team we play takes this early level of play into their game with us. It is very sloppy.

juise
11-22-2011, 11:21 PM
In the Roy Williams Survivors' Invitational, UCLA (the Wear Twins) is showing signs of life. KU's 15 TO's are not helping them out much.

em0526
11-25-2011, 05:46 AM
My son and I had the pleasure of being in Maui to witness the tournament first hand. I have to say that it was an absolute thrill to meet several of the players and coaches and witness how classy this program is in person. My son was able to get his team poster autographed by the entire team and and the assistant coaches. When Tyler signed my son's poster, I told him that I would be telling my son to watch how he plays. Of course he goes off against Kansas and now my son is convinced that he should be shooting desperation three-pointers.

I also need to give a shout out to the other Duke fans in attendance. It was a lot of fun talking Duke hoops with people as passionate about it as I am. It's good to know that I'm not the only one not getting any work done during college basketball season :-)

guybrush
11-26-2011, 01:59 AM
http://www.dailybasket.it/ncaa/duke-vince-il-maui-invitational-grazie-ad-un-miracolo-di-thornton/

An italian website about Duke win

DukeCaper
11-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Tournament was outstanding. Duke/KU game was one of the best ever. it was great to see Tyler and Ryan get attention. They are both hard working guys. Ryan carried his MVP trophy through security at the Maui airport and got a big hand at the gate.

Duke05
11-29-2011, 12:53 AM
DBP with a well-executed recap of our tournament in Maui (plus some highlights from years past): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RSW0HLyLQM&feature=youtube_gdata

juise
11-29-2011, 01:19 AM
DBP with a well-executed recap of our tournament in Maui (plus some highlights from years past): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RSW0HLyLQM&feature=youtube_gdata

Nice video. My takeaways were:
(1) Duke's previous Maui titles were won by exclusively scoring on dunks.
(2) The players seemed to know about the NBA lockout potentially ending on Wednesday night where news didn't seem to break elsewhere until Saturday morning. Maybe their comments were just reflecting the talks that were rumored on Wednesday night, but this is one connected (to The League) team.

moonpie23
11-29-2011, 12:06 PM
my takeaways:

marshall is cut.....

NSDukeFan
11-29-2011, 03:47 PM
my takeaways:

marshall is cut.....

Agree with you here. He will be another big, strong, tall, athletic guy protecting the rim for some years for Duke.

I love the pass to Murphy to win the NCAA title a la Laettner. Great re-creation.