PDA

View Full Version : hansbrough's troubles

moonpie23
07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2010/07/11/1012751?sac=Sports

kyle needs to find that customer and remind him what he looks like......sheesh...

i am actually sorry to hear about hans.....that was tough to type, but i never wish health problems (other than cramps) on hated players....

roywhite
07-12-2010, 09:55 AM
http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2010/07/11/1012751?sac=Sports

kyle needs to find that customer and remind him what he looks like......sheesh...

i am actually sorry to hear about hans.....that was tough to type, but i never wish health problems (other than cramps) on hated players....

Yeah, that is tough news; didn't realize things had gone so badly.

Tyler, just a suggestion...if your medical condition is still not improving, you might want to try diagnosis and treatment at the best place in the area...Duke Medical Center.

DevilHorns
07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I hope Tyler can find his groove again.

More than just getting better health-wise I actually want him to succeed in the NBA (I don't have the same words for, uh, Danny Green, or Ty Lawson, etc).

As much as it is easy to dog on him as a Duke fan (and lord knows I had my share screaming at the tv regarding the refs letting everything go), he is someone who played with immense heart and attitude every second on the basketball court. I can only applaud him for that.

It's natural to hate him, but in a weird way in how this rivalry goes, its not too hard to secretly hope for him to overcome his doubters and succeed.

I have a feeling I'm going to be mostly alone on this one.

MChambers
07-12-2010, 10:26 AM
I hope Tyler can find his groove again.

More than just getting better health-wise I actually want him to succeed in the NBA (I don't have the same words for, uh, Danny Green, or Ty Lawson, etc).

As much as it is easy to dog on him as a Duke fan (and lord knows I had my share screaming at the tv regarding the refs letting everything go), he is someone who played with immense heart and attitude every second on the basketball court. I can only applaud him for that.

It's natural to hate him, but in a weird way in how this rivalry goes, its not too hard to secretly hope for him to overcome his doubters and succeed.

I have a feeling I'm going to be mostly alone on this one.
I don't want to see him succeed in the NBA, because I never thought he'd amount to anything in the NBA, given the limitations of his game, and I hate being wrong. But I don't wish him poorly, and hope he recovers his health.

Skitzle
07-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Im right in between. He needs to get over his strange injury get back to 100% and THEN fail.

:)

Health problems shouldn't be the downfall of a UNC player. His abilities should be.

brlftz
07-12-2010, 10:43 AM
i'm anxious for him to return, so that he can then become the bust i'm confident he will be.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I hadn't heard of his health problems, that's very unfortunate. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Regarding the confusion of the Whole Foods customer, it sounds like a Duke fan pulling his leg quite successfully. Well done sir.

DevilHorns
07-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I hadn't heard of his health problems, that's very unfortunate. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Regarding the confusion of the Whole Foods customer, it sounds like a Duke fan pulling his leg quite successfully. Well done sir.

Perhaps. But confusing him for one of the Wear twins?... I honestly think that could have been an 'average' UNC fan (aka a 'casual' UNC fan :D)

rasputin
07-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Excuse me, aren't you one of the guys Ol' Roy threw under the bus?

PADukeMom
07-12-2010, 11:36 AM
No big fan of Carolina here but as a Mom I hope he gets well.

theAlaskanBear
07-12-2010, 11:57 AM
I really feel sorry for Tyler Hansbrough. Though Lord knows I hate him as a Carolina player, he is a good young man and I wish the best for him...health should never be the issue that prevents you from pursuing your dreams.

I read the FayOb article in the link, and I am actually really troubled now...it said he suffered a concussion and an ear infection...as we all know through the NFL saga....concussions are serious business. I just read an article about a pro-hockey player who after a concussion had/dizziness and vertigo for month and months.

A Cary, NC neuroscientist figured out that the concussion had given him astigmatism!! He is better now and playing hockey, but it took 14-months to fully recover.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-12-2010, 01:02 PM
I really feel sorry for Tyler Hansbrough. Though Lord knows I hate him as a Carolina player, he is a good young man and I wish the best for him...health should never be the issue that prevents you from pursuing your dreams.

I read the FayOb article in the link, and I am actually really troubled now...it said he suffered a concussion and an ear infection...as we all know through the NFL saga....concussions are serious business. I just read an article about a pro-hockey player who after a concussion had/dizziness and vertigo for month and months.

A Cary, NC neuroscientist figured out that the concussion had given him astigmatism!! He is better now and playing hockey, but it took 14-months to fully recover.

You're right on the money with your post. Health problems at any age can be a challenge to one's quality of life. The particular sort mentioned in the article about Tyler certainly made me think of the recent press given to athletes' concussions and the related health problems which may follow.

G man
07-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I found the intro into the article rather amusing. I am one of those fans who cannot stomach UNC star player no matter what, but that being said I hate seeing guys miss out on what they love to do. If he gets bounced from the league for his sake let it be with him being able to bust his backside trying to stay on a roster. I would not wish these kind of things on anyone not even Hanstravel. I hope he gets healthy.

sagegrouse
07-12-2010, 04:00 PM
You're right on the money with your post. Health problems at any age can be a challenge to one's quality of life. The particular sort mentioned in the article about Tyler certainly made me think of the recent press given to athletes' concussions and the related health problems which may follow.

I thought the article, despite the amusing intro, bordered on heart-breaking. I guy with a great motor is now shuffling around the gym, trying not to lose his equilibrium. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, and not on a guy who played as hard as Hansbrough.

Maybe the next chapter in his story will be better.

sagegrouse

roywhite
07-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I thought the article, despite the amusing intro, bordered on heart-breaking. I guy with a great motor is now shuffling around the gym, trying not to lose his equilibrium. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, and not on a guy who played as hard as Hansbrough.

Maybe the next chapter in his story will be better.

sagegrouse

Although the circumstances are different, it also brings to mind the experiences of Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams. Two great college players who had promising pro careers derailed by serious accidents. Each has gone on to other pursuits, but things certainly didn't work out as expected.

Not much is guaranteed in this life, even to those with great talents.

Verga3
07-12-2010, 09:15 PM
All best wishes to Tyler. His work rate and drive was always phenomenal. Many schools would have wanted him on their team....a la Laettner. He has been through some personal and physical challenges. I hope he gets back and has a great pro career and life beyond. Please....we really can say GTHC and root for a struggling UNC alum in the same breath. Tyler, when you return, be sure to kick it to Josh....it will be cathartic.

phaedrus
07-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't want to see him succeed in the NBA, because I never thought he'd amount to anything in the NBA, given the limitations of his game, and I hate being wrong. But I don't wish him poorly, and hope he recovers his health.

"I'm a well-wisher, in that I don't wish you any specific harm."

K>Roy
07-12-2010, 09:25 PM
I hope he never sees another minute of action in the NBA. I hope his health problems clear up, but rooting for a 'hole to have pro success is one of the last things you'll find me doing.

killerleft
07-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Good luck to Mr. Hansbrough. He deserves his chance to shine, and certainly doesn't deserve ill will from anybody.

Here's to good health for us all.

Devilsfan
07-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I hope he gets well real soon and has a long healthy and proserous life outside of sports. Local car commercials might just be his Forte.

hurleyfor3
07-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I hope he gets well real soon and has a long healthy and proserous life outside of sports. Local car commercials might just be his Forte.

That reminds me. What's ACC Co-POY Joe Forte doing nowadays?

Duvall
07-12-2010, 10:16 PM

Curse you Barry Jacobs. Curse you.

moonpie23
07-12-2010, 10:29 PM

His ego also got in the way. Forte reportedly had a terrible attitude and even showed up to a Celtics game wearing a Lakers’ throwback jersey. The Celtics were quick to trade Joe to Seattle that offseason. There, Forte continued his immature ways. After a tough loss, he went back into the showers and started singing – a move that earned him an OZ-style beating by teammates. That summer, he was pulled over for speeding and after searching his car, police found a small amount of weed and a gun. He had also reportedly assaulted a man during a pickup game back home in Washington, D.C. The Sonics cut ties with him shortly after and Forte hasn’t played in the league since.

.......http://dimemag.com/2009/10/where-are-they-now-joe-forte/

Devilsfan
07-12-2010, 10:31 PM
What do you do with a degree from the state college of north carolina at chapel hill? Well there's poster boys John Edwards, Mike Nifong, Lawrence Taylor, etc. They all became famous for something other than sports.

mgtr
07-12-2010, 10:45 PM
What do you do with a degree from the state college of north carolina at chapel hill? Well there's poster boys John Edwards, Mike Nifong, Lawrence Taylor, etc. They all became famous for something other than sports.

Thats a good one! Were you the one that accused Hans of being a Wear?
Seriously, I wish no one ill, I would rather beat them when they are completely healthy! Isn't Hans senior (the dad) an MD? Seems as though he could have gotten a little better diagnosis and treatment.

ricks68
07-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Hey, just plain get well Tyler.

ricks

tecumseh
07-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Did it occur to anyone else that his problems may all be in his head? It certainly smells that way to me......he played against real NBA players and got his butt kicked and psychologically could not handle it, I suspect he is washed up at already

BigZ
07-13-2010, 01:04 AM
well on the bright side this is good news for Josh McRoberts.

left_hook_lacey
07-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Did it occur to anyone else that his problems may all be in his head? It certainly smells that way to me......he played against real NBA players and got his butt kicked and psychologically could not handle it, I suspect he is washed up at already

That is a very immature thing to say, and very unbecoming of a DBR poster. We are/should be better than that. If he was busted for carrying a gun into a night club, or let himself get grossly out of shape, then fire away by calling him washed up. Until then, have some sort of basis to your accusations. Though he traveled often and made me want to trash my TV at times, Tyler represents everything that is right in college basketball, and you can't take that way from him, Tarheel or not.

So let's lay off one of the good guys.

sagegrouse
07-13-2010, 06:26 AM
That is a very immature thing to say, and very unbecoming of a DBR poster. We are/should be better than that. If he was busted for carrying a gun into a night club, or let himself get grossly out of shape, then fire away by calling him washed up. Until then, have some sort of basis to your accusations. Though he traveled often and made me want to trash my TV at times, Tyler represents everything that is right in college basketball, and you can't take that way from him, Tarheel or not.

I agree completely with your response to the above poster. Moreover, when Hansbrough was on the floor, he was a productive player: 17.6 minutes, 8.5 points, and 4.8 rebounds. Double those numbers to reach 35 minutes per game and you have an excellent NBA player.

sagegrouse

oldnavy
07-13-2010, 06:43 AM
I tried my best to dislike Hansbrough, but I could never really get over the fact that he played harder than anyone on the court. I didn't particularly like him, but I could never make myself dislike him. I couldn't stand the way the refs called the game around him however, but that was not Tyler's fault.

Best wishes and I hope he has a full recovery and plays up to his full potential in the NBA, whatever that may be.

MChambers
07-13-2010, 07:53 AM
"I'm a well-wisher, in that I don't wish you any specific harm."
Don't think that's exactly what I said, although I can see how you might read it that way. I wish him his full health and the opportunity to play to the best of his ability in the NBA, but I don't think he'll be much of an NBA player, just because of the limitations in his game, especially on the defensive end.

sagegrouse
07-13-2010, 09:25 AM
I tried my best to dislike Hansbrough, but I could never really get over the fact that he played harder than anyone on the court. I didn't particularly like him, but I could never make myself dislike him. I couldn't stand the way the refs called the game around him however, but that was not Tyler's fault.

Best wishes and I hope he has a full recovery and plays up to his full potential in the NBA, whatever that may be.

1. He was good.

2. He played harder than anyone on the court.

3. He was easy to make fun of without feeling guilty about picking on a college student. I mean, his own teammates called him "Psycho T," which is probably what his mother called him.

sagegrouse
'I would have added "4. Stayed four years," but I wish he had only stayed two.'

Billy Dat
07-13-2010, 09:43 AM
I have had friends suffer from this type of vertigo and it is a nightmare. The problem is that finding a definitive diagnosis is elusive, and it's very tough to predict how long it will last. One of my friends suffered on and off for years, and, like a lot of chronic conditions, it can eventually lead to mental illness (depression, anxiety). So, as others have said, here's hoping he gets well. The article suggested that he was already resuming fairly strenuous workouts so perhaps he's already back.

As for his NBA career, those dismissing it probably didn't watch him in the first half of last year. What I saw reminded me of what we saw on the court in college. He wasn't as dominant, but he was extremely effective because of his effort and hard nosed play. When he was on the court, the Pacers level of play picked up. At the time, I thought he'd be an effective rotation player for as long as he wanted to be and I still think he will be.

tecumseh
07-13-2010, 09:47 AM

To paraphrase Yogi Berra 90% of sports is mental the rest is in your head, it is not immature to say that and IMHO you are the one who should look in the mirror. What is wrong with having psychological problems or even mental illness for that matter? It is OK if something is physically wrong with him but if it is mental I am casting aspersions about his character, I can tell you I do not see things that way if Hanesbourough is having trouble with stress well get in line with the rest of the world. For those old enough to remember just think back to Joey Beard who had some real struggles at Duke but has ended up OK in life.

DoubleDuke Dad
07-13-2010, 09:50 AM
I agree completely with your response to the above poster. Moreover, when Hansbrough was on the floor, he was a productive player: 17.6 minutes, 8.5 points, and 4.8 rebounds. Double those numbers to reach 35 minutes per game and you have an excellent NBA player.

sagegrouse

However his field goal percentage was 0.360 which is not good for guard and is terrible for PF/C.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3991

MChambers
07-13-2010, 09:59 AM
However his field goal percentage was 0.360 which is not good for guard and is terrible for PF/C.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3991
And defensively, he's a liability.

moonpie23
07-13-2010, 11:01 AM
look....far be it for ME to defend a tarhole, but come on .......we would have LOVED to have that beast on our side......

so, with that in mind, just think about your comments regarding his troubles now......would you say the same things?

BD80
07-13-2010, 12:27 PM
look....far be it for ME to defend a tarhole, but come on .......we would have LOVED to have that beast on our side......

Can you imagine the national whining about Duke getting all the calls if Hans had played for Duke?

Actually, I don't think Hans would have been as successful at Duke, as his offense would have suffered (refs would have called him for traveling) and he would have been in constant foul trouble.

He would have been a fan favorite at Duke (until he did something like that absurd fist-pumping, high-stepping celebration "dance" along the sidelines that I am sick of seeing).

cato
07-13-2010, 12:38 PM

How many concussions have you had? Unfortunately, I've had 4. Each one is different. The last one I had certainly had a profound affect on my head -- emotionally and physically. Luckily, it only lasted about 2 months, but it was a dark time.

Having watched Psycho T for 4 years, I think it is silly to suggest that he is washed up because he can't handle his inability to play with NBA players. I find it much, much more likely that he got his clock cleaned a couple of times, and has not yet been able to recover. Hopefully, time will help him.

cato
07-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Joey Beard

That is probably the one and only time Psycho T will be compared to Joey Beard.

Greg_Newton
07-13-2010, 12:49 PM
I actually feel really bad for Hansbrough. It's bad enough to have something like a nagging ankle injury, but for a young professional athlete to have a chronic condition that throws off his basic coordination is just cruel. Hope he gets through it.

magjayran
07-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Actually, I don't think Hans would have been as successful at Duke, as his offense would have suffered (refs would have called him for traveling) and he would have been in constant foul trouble.

He would have been a fan favorite at Duke (until he did something like that absurd fist-pumping, high-stepping celebration "dance" along the sidelines that I am sick of seeing).

If Hans had played for Duke he might have on two titles and definitely would have been one of the most loved players since Christian. But he didn't so screw him. I hope he heals up 100% and spends the rest of the career being a sub for Josh McRoberts.

wilko
07-13-2010, 01:01 PM

so, with that in mind, just think about your comments regarding his troubles now......would you say the same things?

I have to agree. I would have liked him a whole better if he chose an age appropriate color to wear.

I don't wish him ill. But I ain't going out of my WAY to give him any praise, either. Lets not be confused. Mainly I'm just glad he's gone!

However..... next time someone cracks on a Duke player as a "bust" in the League; Tyler is a leading candidate for an appropriate level response at this point. Things change, guys heal up and learn new tricks, look at JJ.

BUT, for now T is suspect until he does something meaningful.

moonpie23
07-13-2010, 02:55 PM

negative....

until the health issue is defined, that's like saying Hurley is suspect till he doesn't something meaningful....inner ear infections and concussions are about as dibilitating as you can get.....especially for an athlete...

hans was hammered on as hard as any player i've seen over the past few years........now, he initiated most of the hammering ....and he wasn't called for it.....but still...

stop making me defend a tarhole.....next you'll try to convince me to say something nice about the CO-player of the ACC that should walk to houston and give shane battier his other half back...

left_hook_lacey
07-13-2010, 03:03 PM
However..... next time someone cracks on a Duke player as a "bust" in the League; Tyler is a leading candidate for an appropriate level response at this point. Things change, guys heal up and learn new tricks, look at JJ.

You can't consider a player a "bust" because they suffered injuries they couldn't work through. If you use that generalization, you open the door for people to say that Bobby Hurley and Jay Williams were "busts" when in fact they never really got a chance to proved themselves.(Which makes me sad everyday)

So I say tread lightly on labeling Tyler a "bust" unless you're willing to throw iconic Duke players into that group. I for one, am not willing to do that.

CEF1959
07-13-2010, 03:42 PM
The dude's graduated, and now he's sick. Lighten up, y'all, and walk the high ground.

tecumseh
07-13-2010, 03:49 PM
How many concussions have you had? Unfortunately, I've had 4. Each one is different. The last one I had certainly had a profound affect on my head -- emotionally and physically. Luckily, it only lasted about 2 months, but it was a dark time.

Having watched Psycho T for 4 years, I think it is silly to suggest that he is washed up because he can't handle his inability to play with NBA players. I find it much, much more likely that he got his clock cleaned a couple of times, and has not yet been able to recover. Hopefully, time will help him.

Hey it is a blog but granted that was a bit over the top but I guess time will tell. However it is not over the top to suggest that there might be a HUGE psychological component operating here, the article even suggests as much. He was not his old self, his confidence was shaken, "mysterious illness", etc. Before you extrapolate too much about his production remember he shot only 36% so he was hardly tearing up the league

sagegrouse
07-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Hey it is a blog but granted that was a bit over the top but I guess time will tell. However it is not over the top to suggest that there might be a HUGE psychological component operating here, the article even suggests as much. He was not his old self, his confidence was shaken, "mysterious illness", etc. Before you extrapolate too much about his production remember he shot only 36% so he was hardly tearing up the league

What I resent is having to make a case for Tyler Hansbrough to counter some misguided and not terribly pleasant comments. In any event, his average efficiency rating per game appears to be +8.4 based on 17.6 MPG. It's a pretty good number. Looking at the overall playoffs ratings for all NBA players, only one player, Tyrus Thomas, had a higher number with so few minutes. (I would do regular season, but I can't get that to load in nba.com.)

Extrapolations, which you rightly question, would put him at +17 efficiency for 35MPG.

Looks like a productive player to me, and if he doesn't recover fully, it is not good for anyone.

sagegrouse

jdj4duke
07-13-2010, 04:50 PM
I just checked for the heck of it; there isn't even a live thread about the guy on IC, and DBR is still kicking this around like a hackey sack.

It's more than bad luck for the guy, but I for one will be glad to see the Psycho T era end once again on DBR. He has certainly gotten a nice share of encouragement, sympathy, respect, and appreciation here. I gladly wish him well, and while it may be summer and slow news time and all that, he just doesn't impact my Duke fandom anymore.

And yes, I know I can not read the thread, but I just don't care about his name on the Duke board now.

oldnavy
07-13-2010, 05:52 PM

Not trying to be funny, but I have had two and remember very little about them. Of course they occurred 30 or more years ago, but I do remember it being one of the weirdest feelings, not being able to form short term memories was freaky. You could tell me something and in less than a minute I had no idea what you had said.

My son is recovering from a bad concussion he obtained playing basketball. He has post concussion syndrome and has had trouble focusing, sleeping and a minor bout of depression. It is very serious and troubling and I would not wish it on anyone. I pray that Hans gets better very soon.

cbfx3
07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
sorry to hear of this.. Hopefully it is nothing too serious but it sounds like they need to be carful with him

papa whiskey
07-13-2010, 10:30 PM

Who woulda thunk that he wouldn't be shooting 19 free throws per game in the pros and might actually have to earn it? :p

cspan37421
07-13-2010, 10:46 PM
I'd welcome the mods to lock up this thread as it seems to be exhibiting the same unfortunate characteristic of the Dean Smith thread, namely, kicking the UNC guy when he's down.

Coach K respected him greatly as a player, and you can do a lot worse than emulate Coach K.

Verga3
07-13-2010, 10:57 PM
This thread has run its course. Push the button.

killerleft
07-14-2010, 11:39 AM
I'd welcome the mods to lock up this thread as it seems to be exhibiting the same unfortunate characteristic of the Dean Smith thread, namely, kicking the UNC guy when he's down.

Coach K respected him greatly as a player, and you can do a lot worse than emulate Coach K.

I rarely advocate locking a thread down, but carrying the 9F thing too far harms only the hater.

And, to elaborate on whether Duke fans would have loved the Tyler Dance, there is no question that we would have absolutely been happy with it. The Danny Green Crapdance is, I'm sure, something that would have gotten a far different reaction.

natedog4ever
07-14-2010, 11:47 AM
You can't consider a player a "bust" because they suffered injuries they couldn't work through. If you use that generalization, you open the door for people to say that Bobby Hurley and Jay Williams were "busts" when in fact they never really got a chance to proved themselves.(Which makes me sad everyday)

So I say tread lightly on labeling Tyler a "bust" unless you're willing to throw iconic Duke players into that group. I for one, am not willing to do that.

I guess Wilmington is a little further away from Durham/Chapel Hill than I thought. I hear these bust comments regarding those Duke players every day. The first thing I thought when I saw this thread was that now I have something to throw back in their faces. Whats good for the goose . . .

oldnavy
07-14-2010, 02:59 PM
I guess Wilmington is a little further away from Durham/Chapel Hill than I thought. I hear these bust comments regarding those Duke players every day. The first thing I thought when I saw this thread was that now I have something to throw back in their faces. Whats good for the goose . . .

Yes Natedog, but just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. "All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable, All things are lawful, but not all things edify."

Kill them with love and kindness, those attributes are much more powerful than you can imagine.

tecumseh
07-14-2010, 06:49 PM

Durability and Luck are part of the formula and if a player doesn't perform he doesn't perform, an excuse is still at the end of the day an excuse. I think there are a lot of players that could have a solid career but never get with the right situation and right coach and maybe early bad experiences shake their confidence. I think it is often a near miss kind of thing. For example I think it was really very lucky that Kurt Warner ended up having a great career though he is unquestionably a great talent he could have just as easily had no career. If Greg Oden does nothing I think it is fair to say his pro career was a bust, maybe bust with an asterisk but still bust.