07-10-2010, 10:31 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/07/marshall-plumlee-to-duke/

Just got the word.

strawbs
07-10-2010, 10:32 PM
nice!

ncexnyc
07-10-2010, 10:34 PM
This is great news. Is this a first, have 3 brothers ever played for the same program before?

MisterRoddy
07-10-2010, 10:36 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/07/marshall-plumlee-to-duke/

Just got the word.

Thanks for the great news! Marshall should be a fine addition to the Duke basketball program.

CameronBornAndBred
07-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks much Watzone...Wooooohooo!!! THIS is a player I can get behind, welcome MP3!

rotogod00
07-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Welcome aboard, MP3!

mgtr
07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I suppose we were all hoping with fingers crossed. Fabulous news. Any more Plumlee-ets in the pipeline? Sisters? Cousins?
OK, I am delighted and satisfied to have three. This is wonderful news. We are here waiting to greet you, Marshall.:)

Duvall
07-10-2010, 10:43 PM
This is great news. Is this a first, have 3 brothers ever played for the same program before?

Yup (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012109aaa.html).

CameronBornAndBred
07-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Which of his two brothers will he be playing with, if either? I can see one of them (take your pick) still here when he comes, but not all three at once. The possibility of him being the last and only Plumlee is there for him as a freshmen. I would love to see him play in tandem with either Mason or Miles though, it was a blast watching those two this year.

hedevil
07-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Great news!

I hope this will keep Mason at Duke for at least three years so that all three can have the chance to play together.

Lately, I had been believing more and more that Marshall would commit to Duke, but you never know until they (player) actually commits. I feel alot better now.:D

gep
07-10-2010, 10:58 PM
WOW... and all of this after Coach K "lost focus" with Duke and getting "worn out" with USA basketball. We Duke fans have A LOT to look forward to:D

roywhite
07-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Congratulations and welcome to Marshall.

Congratulations to the Plumlee family, and thanks for their belief in and support of the Duke program. Perky and Leslie have raised some fine sons (and simplified their travel!).

mgtr
07-10-2010, 11:03 PM
MP1, MP2 and MP3 on the same team? Wow, that would really shake things up! Chances - well, a possibility. Too soon to tell - depends on what MP1 (with the new Zoubeard) and MP2 do this year -- a lot, I hope, because we need the big guys to be big. By the way, assuming MP1 keeps the beard, what chances we see an upside down "Marry Me, MP1" sign this year?

CoBlueDevil
07-10-2010, 11:10 PM
MP1, MP2 and MP3 on the same team? Wow, that would really shake things up! Chances - well, a possibility. Too soon to tell - depends on what MP1 (with the new Zoubeard) and MP2 do this year -- a lot, I hope, because we need the big guys to be big. By the way, assuming MP1 keeps the beard, what chances we see an upside down "Marry Me, MP1" sign this year?

Haha, that's hilarious, and a definite possibility. Hopefully we will see all three play together, as that would be really special to Duke fans but more importantly to their parents. Welcome to Duke MP3!

billyj
07-10-2010, 11:12 PM
lol it will be fun have 3 plumee :D

Devilsfan
07-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Someone tell Doc's son we have another rebounder waiting for him.

watzone
07-10-2010, 11:29 PM
He hadn't even talked with his brothers when I got the news. I appreciate the family letting me know first. He's a great kid and he'll work his butt off at Duke. This was addition to Michael Gbinije and Tyler Adams and more is coming.

CameronBornAndBred
07-10-2010, 11:32 PM
He hadn't even talked with his brothers when I got the news. I appreciate the family letting me know first. He's a great kid and he'll work his butt off at Duke. This was addition to Michael Gbinije and Tyler Adams and more is coming.
Very cool. And thanks again for letting us in on the news so soon.

roywhite
07-10-2010, 11:32 PM

Thanks, watzone.

And feel free to elaborate on that last comment....:)

CathyCA
07-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Woo-hoo! Welcome, Marshall!

K>Roy
07-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Nice!

moonpie23
07-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Marshall plumlee - come on down!!!

sagegrouse
07-11-2010, 12:05 AM

The Mahaffey brothers (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012109aaa.html) played for Clemson over a ten-year period covering the 1960s. And there were FOUR of them.

sagegrouse

K>Roy
07-11-2010, 12:15 AM
The Mahaffey brothers (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012109aaa.html) played for Clemson over a ten-year period covering the 1960s. And there were FOUR of them.

sagegrouse

Right, but would this potentially be the first set of brothers playing for one school concurrently?

BlueDster
07-11-2010, 12:48 AM
For those wondering, this recent evaluation paints MP3 as a hard worker and "coach's dream": http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/980815.html

scottdude8
07-11-2010, 01:14 AM
I'm psyched about this. Not only does this increase the chance that Miles and Mason will both stay one more year to play with their younger bro, our 2012 frontcourt (assuming Mason leaves) of Ryan Kelly, Josh Hairston, Marshall Plumlee and Tyler Adams should be solid, a good mix of skill, height, and toughness.

Gbinije, Adams, Plumlee is a great start to the 2011 class. If we can seal the deal with Rivers and then get one more 4 star caliber guy it could be an epic and balanced class.

ChicagoCrazy84
07-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Marshall!! Welcome MP3!!! Can't wait for him to join the already solid frontcourt we will have for years to come. All we need is a certain river to pass through Durham and we will be all set. :D

Greg_Newton
07-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Welcome to the fam, Marshall!

When setting unrealistic expectations for him, just keep in mind that he's a very different player than his brothers and is not necessarily a top 50 recruit. However, he'll be a team guy and emotional leader for his four years at Duke, and a great guy to have in the program. It really would be cool if Miles and Mason were both around to play with him next year!

-bdbd
07-11-2010, 02:50 AM
I'm psyched about this. Not only does this increase the chance that Miles and Mason will both stay one more year to play with their younger bro, our 2012 frontcourt (assuming Mason leaves) of Ryan Kelly, Josh Hairston, Marshall Plumlee and Tyler Adams should be solid, a good mix of skill, height, and toughness.

Gbinije, Adams, Plumlee is a great start to the 2011 class. If we can seal the deal with Rivers and then get one more 4 star caliber guy it could be an epic and balanced class.

Re. (bolded) frontcourt: And you even left out QM ! ;)

"Marshall is the rare breed that constantly asks questions, begs for extra reps and wants to know what he is doing wrong." Sounds like a great DUKE kid. Already very talented, can't wait to see what Wojo and K can do with him!

Thanks Mark! Great news!

BTW, while I'm sure that we're still strongly going after AR and and QM, is this likely to impact our pursuit of additional interior-oriented frontcourt player in the HS 2011 class (at least one of whom already had an offer reportedly)??

-BD "Can't believe 3 years ago this family tree all seemed headed elsewhere (Stanford and UNC likely)" BD

4decadedukie
07-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Great - for Duke, the team and the program, and the fans and alumni!

sandinmyshoes
07-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks, watzone.

And feel free to elaborate on that last comment....:)

Indeed! It seems to hint at something relatively soon.

SCMatt33
07-11-2010, 07:57 AM
First of all. YAY! Always great to have another recruit on board, especially one that possibly comes with some peripheral benefits, like convincing Mason to stay an extra year, even if he might be ready for the NBA after next year, so that all three can play together.

I know that there has been some concern about his short wingspan and reach. I don't particularly care about that since I'm not an NBA GM, but I understand why it is a concern. Just for the record, I think I remember his standing was 8'10", which was matched at the NBA combine by Luke Harangody and Trevor Booker. Ekpe Udoh had a reach only a half inch bigger. So it's definitely possible to clog the lane with that reach. Going back further, according to DraftExpress, Hansblah also has an 8'10" standing reach. I did have a medical question for all of the doctors out there. Based on his measurements, Marshall has the wingspan and reach of an average 6'8"-6'9" player. Until a recent growth spurt about a year or a year and a half ago, he was a 6'8"-6'9" player, depending on who you asked. Is it possible that the growth of his arms will lag behind the growth of his legs and body, and they will catch up at least some by the time he steps on campus, or is he likely done growing in all areas and what we see is what we get. Again, I don't think it's a big deal like some others have made it out to be in the past few weeks, but I'm curious to know.

Saratoga2
07-11-2010, 08:17 AM

With the Plumlees, Kelly, Hairston and Adams we are really set with front court players for the next couple of years. Based on the development of Miles and Mason, I would expect Marshall to take a year of two but make great strides over that time. Adams in similar in that his development is expected to take a while. In the meantime, Kelly MP1, MP2 and also Hairston are set to have really good years and will become great role models and teachers for the new front line players.

Bluedevil114
07-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Welcome to Duke Marshall!!

This just shows how great it is to play at Duke. A family atmosphere!! Marshall could have gone anywhere but chose the road taken by his brothers. If Coach K was so bad to play for then they would have talked their brother out of going there. This is a great day for Duke basketball!!

Kimist
07-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Was not Duke's basketball team poster in recent times "A Band of Brothers" ??

Someone just might have to rekindle that concept. ;)

This is all great news for the Plumlee family and for the Duke community.

k

NSDukeFan
07-11-2010, 11:02 AM
This certainly doesn't hurt coach K's attempt at having a family atmosphere for the program. Great to see Marshall coming on board.

hq2
07-11-2010, 11:18 AM
As far as all three playing together, it obviously depends on whether either MP1 or MP2 goes pro next year. I'd say MP2 is about even money. I'm right now doubting whether MP1 is a pro prospect. I doubt if he'd be ready after this year. We'll see how things look next spring.

DevilWearsPrada
07-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Great news!!!! Marshall has been to many Duke games!!! Glad he has committed to Duke!!! MP3

uh_no
07-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Mrs. Plumlee ONE MORE KID!

billyj
07-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Two more, they can make a whole team :rolleyes:

CrazieDUMB
07-11-2010, 05:26 PM
This is awesome. Generally speaking, I feel like Duke will always get great guards, so it's always awesome when they pull in a legit big man. I feel like with a good team player like that is a great foundation to have. Welcome MP3!

dukebsbll14
07-11-2010, 05:37 PM

k

This is where the parents gotta take a step back and go, "WE ARE THE GREATEST PARENTS ALIVE!" :)

airowe
07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
BTW, while I'm sure that we're still strongly going after AR and and QM, is this likely to impact our pursuit of additional interior-oriented frontcourt player in the HS 2011 class (at least one of whom already had an offer reportedly)??

I don't think you'll see Duke going after anymore bigs in the Class of 2011 with Tyler and Marshall already locked up. Look for attention to be turned towards the backcourt, where the Duke staff will be front and center for Austin Rivers' games in Augusta this week with Each1 Teach1 at the Peach Jam and Nate James recently in Germany watching Quinn Cook and Chasson Randle win the gold in the USA U-17s.

The signing of Marshall certainly shores up depth for our frontcourt for years to come and will probably allow Josh Hairston to transition to the 3 spot which he can play with Michael Gbinije.

I see a number of lineup combinations in Duke's future...

BD80
07-11-2010, 05:46 PM
WOW... and all of this after Coach K "lost focus" with Duke and getting "worn out" with USA basketball. We Duke fans have A LOT to look forward to:D

AND Coach K is burdened with a former point guard as a "big man" coach who can't coach big men, and worse, who can't recruit! I hope a sarcasm "smilie" is not necessary

Something tells me we just got the "Wojo" of big men. He's not big enough (puny wingspan), he's not as talented as his brothers, big reputation, blah blah blah. What he will be is a fixture in the lineup, a constant worker and someone who makes everyone around him better. Someone like Lance who will do whatever he is asked to make the team better.

I don't care that he is not a "top 50" recruit, it sounds like he is a great kid, four year guy, and a great fit for the program.

Welcome Marshall!

Dukefan4Life
07-11-2010, 06:13 PM
I have seen a few videos of marshall and he looks pretty raw to me. The skill set is there but i guess he just needs to be brought along. It will be a nice addition to our team, he does bring height and lots of potential. Go DUKE!!

juise
07-11-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't care that he is not a "top 50" recruit, it sounds like he is a great kid, four year guy, and a great fit for the program.

Agreed on the latter pieces of your statement, but Marshall is definitely considered top 50 by Scout and ESPN (not Rivals).

MisterRoddy
07-11-2010, 06:19 PM
He is very raw, his post game is a work in progress and he needs to put on some weight but with this kid's work ethic and drive, not to mention the superior coaching at Duke, I believe this kid could be the contributor that Zoubs was this past year by at least his Junior season (and remember Zoubs was hampered by injuries for much of his career at Duke).

Bob Green
07-11-2010, 06:48 PM
In the NCISAA Championship game, Marshall Plumlee blocked nine shots:

http://www.christschool.org/page.cfm?p=403&teamID=8&event=69&show=recap

He has talent and work ethic and I'm very happy he is going to be a Blue Devil. I expect his scoring and rebounding numbers will significantly improve during his senior season.

MChambers
07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Agreed on the latter pieces of your statement, but Marshall is definitely considered top 50 by Scout and ESPN (not Rivals).
Miles wasn't a top 50 recruit, but he worked out pretty well!

jimrowe0
07-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Miles wasn't a top 50 recruit, but he worked out pretty well!

Miles hasn't shown much yet...maybe this year he can elevate his game

Kedsy
07-11-2010, 07:27 PM

In 2009-10, Miles was 25th in the ACC in rebounds per game (in only 16 minutes per game), 11th in the ACC in offensive rebounding percentage and third in the ACC in defensive rebounding percentage. His per 40 numbers were 10.4 pp40, 16.4 rp40, 2.2 blkp40, and 1.7 stlp40.

Personally, I'd say that's showing something.

HateCarolina
07-11-2010, 07:45 PM
In 2009-10, Miles was 25th in the ACC in rebounds per game (in only 16 minutes per game), 11th in the ACC in offensive rebounding percentage and third in the ACC in defensive rebounding percentage. His per 40 numbers were 10.4 pp40, 16.4 rp40, 2.2 blkp40, and 1.7 stlp40.

Personally, I'd say that's showing something.

Thanks for putting this info out there...I was just reading the previous few comments and was thinking that he had some pretty good rebounding numbers. Glad to have Marshall joining his brothers in Durham next fall.

Bob Green
07-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Wow! I don't believe you are watching the same player I've been watching. Miles Plumlee showed a lot last season.

Jim3k
07-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Wow! I don't believe you are watching the same player I've been watching. Miles Plumlee showed a lot last season.

Concur -- big time.

DukieInBrasil
07-11-2010, 08:47 PM
It seems to me that Miles got stuck in some sort of funky time warp, in which his late transfer somehow actually transported him back in his development. His So. season at Duke seemed a lot like many kids' Fr. seasons, strong start with occasional flashes of sky-high potential and then stretches of confused basketball. By the end of the year his inability to accomplish what the coaches wanted from him caused him to be demoted. Sort of like a "fr. wall". When all was said and done I think he ended up having a reasonably successful So. campaign. On a per minute basis his numbers look pretty good, but his inconsistent play caused him to not get enough minutes to put up stand-alone good numbers. I'm hoping that his new role and the learning that he has gone through will allow him to have, if not a break-out year at least, a + solid year.

As for Marshall, welcome to Duke. Keep working hard, when you get to Durham maybe you'll blow people away...

gumbomoop
07-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Miles Plumlee showed a lot last season.

Without meaning to overstate the quality of Miles' play last season, I do agree with this. One might get into a hearty disagreement about what constitutes "a lot," but suffice it to say that, looking forward, the likely blossoming of the MPs is but one of about a dozen reasons why we should [and do] so anticipate '10-'11.

That the MPs accepted their roles as understudies [sp?] to LT and Z this past season speaks well for them. And although one wouldn't expect Miles to be our "star" next season, it's surely no stretch to expect much more confident play from him. For he has every reason to believe he'll get 20+ mpg, if he can stay out of foul trouble, rebound and defend, block some shots [weak side killers, ditto for MP2], and not fumble alley-oopers from KI and NS.

Seems logical to expect strong complementary play from him, along with regular doses of wow-athleticism, and possibly even the occasional double-double. Working this summer on soft hands and good footwork, I trust.

Miles can play, maybe real good. His youngest brother [thread relevance!] will be happy for and learn from watching him next season.

airowe
07-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Miles' nor Mason's style of play fit Duke's style of play last year and moreso the year before. The bigs were clearly not the focal point of the offense last year and it showed in their point production. Great guards and outside shooters, especially ones who can penetrate, make bigs look a LOT better than they do with guards who tend to stay outside.

All of our bigs this year are more inclined to thrive in an up and down tempo, which we will certainly have next season.

Dev11
07-11-2010, 11:16 PM
This is where the parents gotta take a step back and go, "WE ARE THE GREATEST PARENTS ALIVE!" :)

POTD

Perky and Leslie, congratulations.

NYC Duke Fan
07-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Welcome to the fam, Marshall!

When setting unrealistic expectations for him, just keep in mind that he's a very different player than his brothers and is not necessarily a top 50 recruit. However, he'll be a team guy and emotional leader for his four years at Duke, and a great guy to have in the program. It really would be cool if Miles and Mason were both around to play with him next year!

You are absolutely correct. Who cares if some scouting program rates him as a top 50 recruit or not. It is about team chemistry and the ability to blend together as a whole, and Coach K certainly knows how to do this.

By the way, how many of the Butler kids were rated as a top 50 recruit?

oldnavy
07-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Concur -- big time.

I see your concur and raise you two concurs!!

Everyone should recognize that rebounding and most inside play is more about desire and heart than it is about pure athletic attributes (wing span, standing reach, etc...) just look at Charles Barkley as an example. Elton Brand was not imposing when you looked at his measurements on paper, but he certainly could and can play on the interior. Marshall has plenty of physical tools and presence, it will remain to be seen if he has the heart and desire to be an impact player. And since he is the third and youngest brother, I am betting that he probably does (having two older brothers ususally toughens up a kid).

roywhite
07-12-2010, 07:17 AM
It seems to me that Miles got stuck in some sort of funky time warp, in which his late transfer somehow actually transported him back in his development. His So. season at Duke seemed a lot like many kids' Fr. seasons, strong start with occasional flashes of sky-high potential and then stretches of confused basketball. By the end of the year his inability to accomplish what the coaches wanted from him caused him to be demoted. Sort of like a "fr. wall". When all was said and done I think he ended up having a reasonably successful So. campaign. On a per minute basis his numbers look pretty good, but his inconsistent play caused him to not get enough minutes to put up stand-alone good numbers. I'm hoping that his new role and the learning that he has gone through will allow him to have, if not a break-out year at least, a + solid year.

As for Marshall, welcome to Duke. Keep working hard, when you get to Durham maybe you'll blow people away...

Like some other recent posts here, my view of Miles' 2009-10 season is a little more favorable. What got him "demoted" was the amazing emergence of Zoubek into a dominant inside force.

I give Miles a lot of credit for handling his reduced minutes in a mature fashion. He played well when called on, and seemed to reduce his tendency to foul. In addition, he showed an increasingly effective face-up shot up to 17 feet from the basket.

With additional offensive opportunities coming up and his continued physical development, I think Miles will do just fine this year.

Even if we look at Miles progress so far as somewhat uneven, we should recognize his enthusiastic endorsement of the program to little brother Marshall during the recruiting process. Another positive sign.

MChambers
07-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Funny how things work out. 2.5 years ago, UNC had just gotten commitments from the 2 Wears, and Duke didn't have a single Plumlee, I think. If UNC hadn't signed the Wears, who knows if Mason would have signed with Duke?

Here's a link to Al Featherstone's column at the time, just to help us all keep things in perspective:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=24202

NSDukeFan
07-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Funny how things work out. 2.5 years ago, UNC had just gotten commitments from the 2 Wears, and Duke didn't have a single Plumlee, I think. If UNC hadn't signed the Wears, who knows if Mason would have signed with Duke?

Here's a link to Al Featherstone's column at the time, just to help us all keep things in perspective:

I am pretty sure I had read that before, but what a great reminder about putting things in perspective. The points of the article apply even more than what Al had stated at the time. The potential recruits he listed (Echenique, Murphy, Boynton) all went elsewhere yet still Duke did well in that recruiting class. And Strickland certainly didn't end up as a top-5 recruit, after the early commitment. That was a really great article, thanks for re-posting it. It is especially relevant after a national championship.

roywhite
07-12-2010, 09:45 AM

Thanks for posting; really a great article by Featherston.

He certainly identified Ole Roy's gamble in taking guys early. A Kendall Marshall in hand was not worth a Kyrie Irving in the bush.

Honestly, I think Ole Roy started taking shortcuts in recruiting; he identified early and closed hard. Probably preferred being on the golf course to waiting and watching kids develop.

Duke of Nashville
07-12-2010, 10:29 AM

k

IDK, but if all three do stick around I would think Duke Improv. would take advantage of this.

nocilla
07-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Like some other recent posts here, my view of Miles' 2009-10 season is a little more favorable. What got him "demoted" was the amazing emergence of Zoubek into a dominant inside force.

I think the style of play dictated the change. With Scheyer at the point and not much perimeter depth, Duke had to run a slower, more conservative offense. Offensive rebounding and screening were very important for the half-court offense to work as efficient as it did. Zoubek was better in both of those areas so Zoubek better fit the offense. Had Kyrie Irving come a year earlier, I don't think Zoubs would have bumped Miles. (Although I'm certainly happy it turned out the way it did, for Duke and for Zoubs sake.)

Kedsy
07-12-2010, 12:33 PM
I am pretty sure I had read that before, but what a great reminder about putting things in perspective. The points of the article apply even more than what Al had stated at the time. The potential recruits he listed (Echenique, Murphy, Boynton) all went elsewhere yet still Duke did well in that recruiting class.

I noticed that as well. It's hilarious that not even one of the many recruits mentioned in the article as possibly headed to Duke actually came to Durham. But we seem to be doing OK...

DukieInBrasil
07-12-2010, 12:39 PM

I give Miles a lot of credit for handling his reduced minutes in a mature fashion. He played well when called on, and seemed to reduce his tendency to foul. In addition, he showed an increasingly effective face-up shot up to 17 feet from the basket.

With additional offensive opportunities coming up and his continued physical development, I think Miles will do just fine this year.

Even if we look at Miles progress so far as somewhat uneven, we should recognize his enthusiastic endorsement of the program to little brother Marshall during the recruiting process. Another positive sign.

While Z's emergence was indeed amazing, it's not like he was building up to that 16 & 17 game vs. MD, that came out of nowhere (not really nowhere, Z had been playing solid albeit understated ball all year). However, what was building up to that moment were a couple of factors: a) Miles was playing poorly on a consistent basis ever since the Wake game, in which he was fantastic, and it could be argued that each successive game was worse and b) LT's knee injury prompted K to look at alternate rotations in which I think he was originally going to put Z in for LT and keep Miles in but then LT's knee wasn't as bad as originally thought so LT got put back in, in lieu of MP I.

All in all, i tend to agree with your view of Miles and his development, however i don't think Z had had the emergence at the time of Miles's "demotion". Z's emergence into the dominant National Championship winner clearly took place after Miles was removed from the starting line-up.

Kedsy
07-12-2010, 12:58 PM
While Z's emergence was indeed amazing, it's not like he was building up to that 16 & 17 game vs. MD, that came out of nowhere (not really nowhere, Z had been playing solid albeit understated ball all year).

I disagree that Z was not building up to his "emergence." His per minute numbers before the Maryland game and after (and including) the Maryland game were not that different at all. The main difference was he played a lot more minutes starting with the Maryland game so his overall numbers went up. And if you watched him over the course of the season (and I'm sure you did -- you've recognized that he was playing well before he jumped into the starting lineup), his ability to play without fouling and his physical fitness to play extended minutes was in fact building up over the course of the season. The Maryland game (and after) did not come out of nowhere. It only seemed that way to those who weren't paying close enough attention.

CDu
07-12-2010, 01:10 PM
I disagree that Z was not building up to his "emergence." His per minute numbers before the Maryland game and after (and including) the Maryland game were not that different at all. The main difference was he played a lot more minutes starting with the Maryland game so his overall numbers went up. And if you watched him over the course of the season (and I'm sure you did -- you've recognized that he was playing well before he jumped into the starting lineup), his ability to play without fouling and his physical fitness to play extended minutes was in fact building up over the course of the season. The Maryland game (and after) did not come out of nowhere. It only seemed that way to those who weren't paying close enough attention.

I agree that Zoubek's points/rebounds per minute stats didn't drastically improve. Those only improved a little bit. But I would argue that the reduction in fouling did indeed come out of nowhere. Here was his stat line for the 10 games leading up to the breakout performance:

@GT: 19 min, 4 pts, 5 reb, 4 fouls
BC: 16 min, 6 pts, 11 reb, 4 fouls
WF: 9 min, 3 pts, 2 reb, 5 fouls
@NCSU: 14 min, 6 pts, 9 reb, 4 fouls
@Clem: 14 min, 0 pts, 2 reb, 4 fouls
FSU: 13 min, 6 pts, 3 reb, 5 fouls
@GU: 2 min, 0 pts, 0 reb, 2 fouls
GT: 13 min, 5 pts, 7 reb, 4 fouls
@BC: 24 min, 3 pts, 6 reb, 1 foul
@UNC: 10 min, 0 pts, 3 reb, 3 fouls

So in all but one game, Zoubek's fouls per minute were greater than 0.2. And fouls limited to less than 20 minutes in all but one of those games. He averaged 13.4 min, 3.3 pts, 4.8 reb, 3.6 fouls. Aside from an outlier game against BC, nothing suggested he was suddenly going to be able to regularly play 20+ minutes per game the rest of the way without committing at least 5+ fouls in that time period. However, he managed to cut his foul rate almost in half from that point forward, which I'd say was pretty shocking.

airowe
07-12-2010, 01:27 PM
I'll venture to say the staff is privy to seeing some things in practice which led to their confidence in Zoubek's ability to play longer minutes and be more productive. Not sure in-game performance is the only measure we should use in justifying either Z's emergence or Miles' demotion, however you choose to view it.

CDu
07-12-2010, 01:34 PM
I'll venture to say the staff is privy to seeing some things in practice which led to their confidence in Zoubek's ability to play longer minutes and be more productive. Not sure in-game performance is the only measure we should use in justifying either Z's emergence or Miles' demotion, however you choose to view it.

I'd say that a number of factors probably were involved in the decision to put Zoubek in the lineup. One is that Miles was in the midst of a slump. Another is that Thomas was hurt, and it was unclear how ready he'd be for the Maryland game. And you may very well be right that Zoubek was playing better in practice.

There was little on the court in games to suggest that Zoubek would suddenly be able to cut his foul rate in half and thus become the monster. I was not in any way suggesting that this should be (or in any way was) the only measure, though (not sure if your comment was intended for me or not).

NSDukeFan
07-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Blasphemy! Playing time decisions should only be made based on in-game performance so that we on this board can criticize coach K for playing or not playing players based on our opinions.

Please, someone find this at least a little bit humorous.

airowe
07-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Everyone knows players don't get better in practice though, only in gametime situations.

Maybe just ignore what I said...

toooskies
07-12-2010, 02:53 PM
On a more serious note, maybe Z just fouled a lot when he comes into a game "cold", and him starting reduced his fouls because he was establishing the speed of the game instead of trying to match it?

Or maybe the refs were less likely to call fouls on Z when he started because they started off the game seeing his playing style, instead of Miles'. Z was much more of a presence inside, and seeing that after Miles' smoother approach could make you think Z was committing fouls when he wasn't.

In other words, maybe Z didn't change-- just a lineup change with him as a starter inherently led to fewer foul calls on him.

MChambers
07-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks for posting; really a great article by Featherston.

He certainly identified Ole Roy's gamble in taking guys early. A Kendall Marshall in hand was not worth a Kyrie Irving in the bush.

Honestly, I think Ole Roy started taking shortcuts in recruiting; he identified early and closed hard. Probably preferred being on the golf course to waiting and watching kids develop.

Earlier, I neglected to link Jim Sumner's equally excellent article on recruiting, because I couldn't find the doggone link. The next time some of you doubt Jim's analysis, you might want to review this article:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=24203

jjh1080
07-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm gonna tell you this right up front so you know, I'm a deep guy.

Most of what happens isn't something that is just lying around on the surface. That is why my comments usually are things like we have to trust the coaches when they recruit players. Through conversations with those players things get said or they see things get done that they either really like or may dislike and we never see or hear that "thing." No video of a guys "highlights" are going to tell us what the guy is like. No one or two interviews will tell us what a guy is like. Thus, most of the time we just don't know what happened that turned things around. All I know is I enjoyed seeing Zo come to life and the team playing great together, great enough to win another NC.

Here is my deep thought, maybe Zo fouled a lot because he was too slow. Maybe he was slow because he was worried if he pushed himself he would injure his foot again. Maybe someone just challenged him and the light went on. Maybe they did this just before the Maryland game because they knew he would be a huge mismatch for Maryland. Maybe they put all their money on challenging him for that game because it was do or die for him and that was the best shot there was to get him out of his "slow" thought process.

But you know, say all you want, we will never know until one of the coaches comes on here and tells us. I'm just enjoying the NC. Thanks Zo, Jon and Lance!

G man
07-12-2010, 03:41 PM

Nice work!

ElSid
07-12-2010, 09:29 PM

excellent article thanks for posting. certainly sounds really on point today. very interesting how things work out. still hope we get rivers...i think i've seen enough to believe he's gonna be great somewhere.

Newton_14
07-12-2010, 09:54 PM
While Z's emergence was indeed amazing, it's not like he was building up to that 16 & 17 game vs. MD, that came out of nowhere (not really nowhere, Z had been playing solid albeit understated ball all year). However, what was building up to that moment were a couple of factors: a) Miles was playing poorly on a consistent basis ever since the Wake game, in which he was fantastic, and it could be argued that each successive game was worse and b) LT's knee injury prompted K to look at alternate rotations in which I think he was originally going to put Z in for LT and keep Miles in but then LT's knee wasn't as bad as originally thought so LT got put back in, in lieu of MP I.
All in all, i tend to agree with your view of Miles and his development, however i don't think Z had had the emergence at the time of Miles's "demotion". Z's emergence into the dominant National Championship winner clearly took place after Miles was removed from the starting line-up.

Actually, with LT's injury, K was going to start Mason for LT, but he wanted an upperclassmen on the frontline so Zoubs was going to start over Miles. (This is not me guessing, K actually stated this in an interview that week).

When LT ended up being a go on gameday, K decided to stick with Zoubs since the plan had been to start Brian anyway. The rest as they say, is history.

I agree with Bob Green though. I think Bob and I may be co-chairmen of the Miles Plumlee fan club. I feel that Miles had a good year. He did slump after the Wake game, but bounced back and from the 2nd Half of the unc game in CIS and then the tourney;s he played really solid. Not perfect, but solid.

As of right now he is ahead of Mason in terms of "getting it". When the real games start this fall and the 5 starters walk out on the court tightening their drawstrings, my money is on Miles to be the guy jumping center. If he keeps getting stronger and developing his game, he is going to be a beast down low.

Overlook Miles at your own peril...:)

dairedevil
07-13-2010, 01:13 AM

sagegrouse

And we had one heck of a church league team t Decatur (GA) First Methodist when they were playing on it!

GODUKEGO
07-13-2010, 07:09 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/07/13/578626/threes-company-for-duke.html

Bob Green
07-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I agree with Bob Green though. I think Bob and I may be co-chairmen of the Miles Plumlee fan club....When the real games start this fall and the 5 starters walk out on the court tightening their drawstrings, my money is on Miles to be the guy jumping center. If he keeps getting stronger and developing his game, he is going to be a beast down low.

I'm with you Boozer! We are the Miles Plumlee Fan Club co-chairmen. My money is on Miles to have a breakout junior season, especially now that he is sporting the beard.

DukieInBrasil
07-13-2010, 09:36 PM
My money is on Miles to have a breakout junior season, especially now that he is sporting the beard.
The spirit of the Zoubeard has found its new avatar to animate, and that can only be a good thing!
Miles has all the physical tools necessary to be an outstanding player, he is being coached by the best, so it is certainly within reason to see that he'll put it all together, hopefully this year.

Newton_14
07-13-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm with you Boozer! We are the Miles Plumlee Fan Club co-chairmen. My money is on Miles to have a breakout junior season, especially now that he is sporting the beard.

I got to see Miles up close and personal tonight Bob. Walked right by him at halftime. He looks good. Did not have his jumper going but played well on the interior on both ends. Still needs to work on his hands. That is one area where he needs improvement.

The beard looks good! I imagine K will make him cut the long hair but hopefully he gets to keep the beard!

Bob Green
07-13-2010, 09:40 PM
I got to see Miles up close and personal tonight Bob. Walked right by him at halftime.

Thanks for the eyewitness report. I've been following the NC Pro-Am reports here at DBR and at BDN. It's the middle of summer, however, being a serious basketball fan is a 365 day a year endeavor.

BD80
07-14-2010, 09:51 AM

The beard is the Z factor.

No one should underestimate the lessons Miles learned watching Zoubek down the stretch last year and the reaction to Z's contributions. I think Miles will play extremely strong for us in the post, and look to dominate the boards.

The big qestion is his hands. With Kyrie at the point, Miles will get many easy looks if he is ready for, and can catch, Kyrie's passes. I see Miles running a high pick and roll for Kyrie and for Nolan, so there will be many opportunities there for him as well, if he handles the passes.

I also see multiple tip-dunk opportunities should Kyrie or Nolan miss on a drive after drawing the entire opposing team to them, although Miles will have to beat Mason to those.

Can somebody please move the blue-white game to next week?

airowe
07-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Here's what I could get of the beard last night. Its too big to fit in one picture:

http://twitpic.com/252ejo

superdave
07-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Here's what I could get of the beard last night. Its too big to fit in one picture:

http://twitpic.com/252ejo

Not much in the moustache department, which is probably for the best!

Was Marshall there to watch?

airowe
07-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Not much in the moustache department, which is probably for the best!

Was Marshall there to watch?

Nope, Marshall is in Minnesota at an AAU event. He is being watched by INN (InterNational Nate).

Hoosier-Devil
07-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Here's a link to a blog post from Ken Tysiac, sportswriter at the Charlotte Observer (and, by extension, the News & Observer). The gist of the post says that Marshall "endorsed" the Duke basketball program by committing to Duke. With two brothers on the inside of the program, Marshall had an insider's view before he committed.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/plumlee-gives-duke-huge-endorsement

A few nuggets from the post:

"Perky Plumlee said the family has confidence in the way Krzyzewski and his staff coach players. If that weren't the case, Plumlee said, they wouldn't send another son there. He also said Marshall will go to Duke knowing fully well just how hard the Duke staff pushes its players. He said the staff is demanding, doesn't take shortcuts and requires maximum effort from players, pushing them beyond what they thought their limits might have been."

"'The fact that we are enthused of Marshall’s choice, I guess, is a good endorsement of their program and the way they run it,' Perky Plumlee said."

Of course, if Marshall had decided to go elsewhere (e.g., Virginia), would his decision not to go to Duke have been an indictment of the program? I'm not sure that would be the case, necessarily.

jjh1080
07-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Of course, if Marshall had decided to go elsewhere (e.g., Virginia), would his decision not to go to Duke have been an indictment of the program? I'm not sure that would be the case, necessarily.

Yes. I could hear the haters now. He didn't choose Duke because his brothers haven't developed. Miles was a starter and then demoted. Mason was star coming in and was left to come off the bench. Duke's coaching staff doesn't know how to develop players.

IMO, Duke had a lot riding on Marshall coming to Duke, that being from all the haters view points. Every hater would have rode that pony to the death had he not selected Duke.

Newton_14
07-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Here's a link to a blog post from Ken Tysiac, sportswriter at the Charlotte Observer (and, by extension, the News & Observer). The gist of the post says that Marshall "endorsed" the Duke basketball program by committing to Duke. With two brothers on the inside of the program, Marshall had an insider's view before he committed.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/plumlee-gives-duke-huge-endorsement

A few nuggets from the post:

"Perky Plumlee said the family has confidence in the way Krzyzewski and his staff coach players. If that weren't the case, Plumlee said, they wouldn't send another son there. He also said Marshall will go to Duke knowing fully well just how hard the Duke staff pushes its players. He said the staff is demanding, doesn't take shortcuts and requires maximum effort from players, pushing them beyond what they thought their limits might have been."

"'The fact that we are enthused of Marshall’s choice, I guess, is a good endorsement of their program and the way they run it,' Perky Plumlee said."

Good point, but I think this may be a case where you can have one without the other. What I mean by that is you have to look at Marshall committing as an endorsement as the family would not send a 3rd kid there after having 2 kids there already, one for 2 years now, if they did not approve of how K runs things.

On the other hand, if Marshall chose another school, it is not an indictment against the program. Could have been a case of not wanting to be in his brother's shadow's, or his skill-set and demeanor better fitting in somewhere else. I think it is ok in this case, for committing somewhere else, to not be viewed as an indictment against the program.

On a side note, Coach K ripped 2 different reporters during post-game interviews during the NCAA tourney. One was for the reporter questioning Jon and implying that Jon had said Duke had meltdowns in previous tourney's, and the other was for the reporter who insinuated that Zoubs had under achieved in his career.

Ken Tysiac was one of those reporters. I think he was the guy that questioned Jon with the "meltdown" comment, but can't recall for sure. Maybe someone else remembers.. Jim Sumner? Any idea?

ACCBBallFan
07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
The real reason Marshall Plumlee was recruted to Duke - to replace Jon Scheyer as best on video games

http://duke.scout.com/2/986264.html

ElSid
07-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Marshall looks like a perfect mix of Miles and Mason.

Sounds like a really well spoken kid with his head on straight. I love the family element. He seems like he'll be a very good addition, chemistry wise.

MisterRoddy
07-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Marshall looks like a perfect mix of Miles and Mason.

Sounds like a really well spoken kid with his head on straight. I love the family element. He seems like he'll be a very good addition, chemistry wise.

That's saying a lot, that would be one heckuva player. I wouldn't say he is a mix of the two but he has a game more resemblant of the elder Plumlee with a little less athleticism.

ElSid
07-25-2010, 10:13 PM
That's saying a lot, that would be one heckuva player. I wouldn't say he is a mix of the two but he has a game more resemblant of the elder Plumlee with a little less athleticism.

I was speaking only of his appearance. He has Mason's long head and big chompers and Miles darker hair and eyes.

MisterRoddy
07-25-2010, 10:17 PM
I was speaking only of his appearance. He has Mason's long head and big chompers and Miles darker hair and eyes.

Ok, that makes more sense.

jennja01
09-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Not sure if this is the correct thread or if this has been posted somewhere else, but Scout has a new insider article on Marshall. Here's the bit I can read.

As he prepares to enter his final high school season, Duke bound center Marshall Plumlee has a checklist of things he wants to accomplish before joining his brothers in Durham. TDD sat down with the youngest Plumlee recently to catch up.

Without breaking code of conduct, can any recruiting insiders with access to scout shed light on the article? It would be interesting to hear what Marshall wants to do in his senior season and more importantly what aspects of his game he wants/needs to improve.

thanks.

superdave
09-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Not sure if this is the correct thread or if this has been posted somewhere else, but Scout has a new insider article on Marshall. Here's the bit I can read.

Without breaking code of conduct, can any recruiting insiders with access to scout shed light on the article? It would be interesting to hear what Marshall wants to do in his senior season and more importantly what aspects of his game he wants/needs to improve.

thanks.

Without having read the article, I'll bet improving his game and winning the state are on his list! Maybe growing a beard is too...

Duke: A Dynasty
09-30-2010, 09:24 PM

thanks.

I read it last night and cant remember it all but I remember he said his defense and his strength

Duke: A Dynasty
09-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Sorry for having to post again but its not letting me edit my old posts. But things he wants to get better at are: Rebounding/ Playing D/ gain GOOD weight/ get Stronger

Kedsy
09-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Sorry for having to post again but its not letting me edit my old posts. But things he wants to get better at are: Rebounding/ Playing D/ gain GOOD weight/ get Stronger

Well, those would be good things for him to have when he gets to Duke.

rotogod00
12-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Couple of Paul Biancardi tweets on Marshall today:

"At City of Palms. Christ School 38- Christ The King 28.Marshall Plumlee blocking shots- cleaning the glass -terrific outlet passes ! Duke !!"

"Plumlee at short corner , shot fake and a HARD two hand slam! He is a weight room away from dominating the next level!"

loran16
12-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Favorite thing here:

Dave Telep tweeted: "
Plum-Three isn't strong enough yet but he will rebound and snap that thing on the outlet to get the break going. Christ School hammering CTK.

To which, Ndotsmitty (the one and only Nolan Smith) responded:
"@DaveTelep he screens and rolls great with good players!"

(Telep then responded with: totally agree. He makes steady, yearly progress. Plus he goes hard. Very hard. Wants to be a player so badly. Stay warm.)

CLW
12-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Couple of Paul Biancardi tweets on Marshall today:

"At City of Palms. Christ School 38- Christ The King 28.Marshall Plumlee blocking shots- cleaning the glass -terrific outlet passes ! Duke !!"

"Plumlee at short corner , shot fake and a HARD two hand slam! He is a weight room away from dominating the next level!"

Hopefully, Santa brings a weight room to MP3 for Christmas.

uh_no
12-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Hopefully, Santa brings a weight room to MP3 for Christmas.

even if not, coach K has one here waiting for him....a long with two older brothers who might push him around a bit til he gets big

CLW
12-19-2010, 08:26 AM
even if not, coach K has one here waiting for him....a long with two older brothers who might push him around a bit til he gets big

Yeah maybe I'm just a little greedy wanting another frosh to dominate the minute they step foot on campus.

CEF1959
12-19-2010, 10:57 AM
I look forward to this time two years from now, when we marvel at MP3's improvement and incredible new body, his having been hitting the weights.

Devilsfan
12-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Are you implying he will be making a Ryan Kelly type transformation?

Bob Green
12-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Are you implying he will be making a Ryan Kelly type transformation?

Miles and Mason both like the weight room so I am optimistic Marshall will follow their lead by being aggressive in his strength and conditioning program.

lotusland
02-11-2011, 08:49 PM
During the televised Oak Hill/Christ School matchup tonight an announcer said something about there being "whispers" that Marshall may red-shirt next year. It wouldn't be that big of a surprise considering that we'll have 4 bigs counting Josh assuming no one leaves early. It's not an approach that Coach K usually takes with healthy players though and you can never have too much depth. Over the summer I thought that it wouldn't be a bad idea for Tyler to re-shirt because I didn't see him getting any meaningful minutes and obviously I was wrong about that.

BTW Marshall looks pretty much as advertised so far - more of a low post, back to the basket player than MP1 and MP2 but not a freak athlete.

-bdbd
02-11-2011, 09:10 PM
During the televised Oak Hill/Christ School matchup tonight an announcer said something about there being "whispers" that Marshall may red-shirt next year. It wouldn't be that big of a surprise considering that we'll have 4 bigs counting Josh assuming no one leaves early. It's not an approach that Coach K usually takes with healthy players though and you can never have too much depth. Over the summer I thought that it wouldn't be a bad idea for Tyler to re-shirt because I didn't see him getting any meaningful minutes and obviously I was wrong about that.

BTW Marshall looks pretty much as advertised so far - more of a low post, back to the basket player than MP1 and MP2 but not a freak athlete.

From what we've read about him needing a little more development than his brothers, that might make sense for him. I take this as a good sign re MP2 staying at least until next year. Because w/o him we would have to rely on just Miles and RK in the post, which might not encorage the idea of redshirting a 7-foot freshman, even if he is a little raw.

So I choose to read this as positive news. :)

Saratoga2
02-11-2011, 09:29 PM
From what we've read about him needing a little more development than his brothers, that might make sense for him. I take this as a good sign re MP2 staying at least until next year. Because w/o him we would have to rely on just Miles and RK in the post, which might not encorage the idea of redshirting a 7-foot freshman, even if he is a little raw.

So I choose to read this as positive news. :)

Put 15 pounds on him and he would be okay in DIV I ball. He actually has a better post game already that either of his brothers, but he needs to gain strength and experience. I would keep his minutes down at first but have him learn by competing.