PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Durham

DukeKS
07-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Hello Duke fans! Making my first trip to Durham this week, and I can't wait to see the campus. If anyone has any suggestions on places/bars we should visit let me know!

K>Roy
07-10-2010, 03:49 PM
My three favorite bars are:

Satisfaction- great pizza; bartenders not the best but atmosphere is good, particularly if you want to watch a game; on Main St. in Bright Leaf Square

James Joyce- best bar in Durham IMO...feels like home the first time you walk in, friendly bartenders, etc.; if you're around on Tuesday, go at 9:30 for trivia; on Main St. across from Bright Leaf Square

Charlie's- the most "Duke" bar IMO...lots of memorabilia, jerseys, etc.; great bartenders; pretty good food; on 9th St. right near the intersection of 9th and Markham

All three places have a nice mix of students and locals during the summer. Most nights they have pretty good specials, especially the Joyce.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Tyler's Tap Room, across from/near the DBAP (Durham Bulls Athletic Park). Great beers and very good food. You can catch a Durham Bulls game if they are home next week.

wandalee
07-10-2010, 05:42 PM
The new Tobacco Roadhouse overlooking the Bulls park is nice, too, especially if there is a game going on.

K>Roy
07-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Have to back up both of the posts above me. Definitely try to sneak by Tyler's, especially if you're still in town on Wednesday. Every Wednesday is Pint Night (after 5:00pm until close); Tyler's picks a beer (and sometimes a couple different beers from the same brewery) and if you order it you get to keep the glass. I've only been to Tobacco Road a couple times, but the place is amazing. Ridiculous number of TV's, good food, and a view of the DBAP diamond from above the left field "Blue Monster".

OZZIE4DUKE
07-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Devildeac and I love pint night! :cool::D Especially before Wednesday night bball games! :cool::cool:

DukeKS
07-19-2010, 08:55 AM
What would you guys suggest for a good lunch?

PumpkinFunk
07-19-2010, 09:04 AM
What would you guys suggest for a good lunch?

Go to the Backyard BBQ Pit - some of the best Western style BBQ in the area. It's a pretty run-down, unappealing looking building, but the food is phenomenal. I went there last week for the first time, and I must say that all of the hype given in the Duke vs. Kentucky threads is 100% worth it.

devildeac
07-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Devildeac and I love pint night! :cool::D Especially before Wednesday night bball games! :cool::cool:

I swear I just heard the gentle clinking of pint glasses and a toast or three to Duke hoops.

devildeac
07-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Go to the Backyard BBQ Pit - some of the best Western style BBQ in the area. It's a pretty run-down, unappealing looking building, but the food is phenomenal. I went there last week for the first time, and I must say that all of the hype given in the Duke vs. Kentucky threads is 100% worth it.

Glad they're open again. Ozzie and I tried to eat lunch there several months ago and found them closed for repairs/inspections or something like that.

Indoor66
07-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Try Ole NC Bar B Que on Roxboro Rd or Guess Road in the Shopping Center about a mile or mile & 1/2 north of the Hospital.

PumpkinFunk
07-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Glad they're open again. Ozzie and I tried to eat lunch there several months ago and found them closed for repairs/inspections or something like that.

I went to the location near Southpoint on NC 55. I'm not sure if the one that's closer to Duke is open again or not - the guests I had in town who wanted to go said they had seen that #2 was closed for renovations on their website, and so they were gonna just play it safe by going to the original location.

cf-62
08-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Don't forget, Durham is home to some of the best independent high end restaurants around - places like Parizades, Papas Grill, Magnolia Grill, and Nanas.

4decadedukie
08-31-2010, 07:58 AM
I agree with the foregoing posts and would suggest an additional lunch/drinks venue. Try the Washington Duke Inn, located at the west end of campus (15-510/Cameron Boulevard at Science Drive). It is a "very Duke place" (and, by the way, it can make short-term parking easy, in an area where parking is a constant issue). The Al Buehler trail is a WONDERFUL walking/jogging location that in immersed in the Duke Forest and that essentially circles the University's golf course and the WDI; therefore, you can take a lovely walk and then drop into the WDI for breakfast, lunch, early-dinner and/or a cold beer.

cf-62
08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
I agree with the foregoing posts and would suggest an additional lunch/drinks venue. Try the Washington Duke Inn, located at the west end of campus (15-510/Cameron Boulevard at Science Drive). It is a "very Duke place" (and, by the way, it can make short-term parking easy, in an area where parking is a constant issue). The Al Buehler trail is a WONDERFUL walking/jogging location that in immersed in the Duke Forest and that essentially circles the University's golf course and the WDI; therefore, you can take a lovely walk and then drop into the WDI for breakfast, lunch, early-dinner and/or a cold beer.

The WDI is an awesome place to spend time when you visit.

The fact that we HAVE a championship caliber golf course and resort on campus is cool, but the WDI is just great. I personally like the Bull Durham Pub food better than Fairview (the restaurant), but it's all good.

DevilWearsPrada
09-01-2010, 01:05 PM
I agree, the Washington Duke Inn (the Bull Durham Lounge). I was there last night for the Live Coach Cut radio show!!!!

While on 9th Street, visit The Tavern, Dain's and Charlies. Magnolia Grill and Parazide Restaurants, are close by.

On Main Street, Satisfactions, James Joyce, and Devines (owner...Duke alum)... great places to go. Gino Devine, played Football also!

cf-62
09-02-2010, 10:24 PM
A few more,

Elmo's Diner and Mad Hatter...

airowe
09-06-2010, 10:03 PM
I went to the location near Southpoint on NC 55. I'm not sure if the one that's closer to Duke is open again or not - the guests I had in town who wanted to go said they had seen that #2 was closed for renovations on their website, and so they were gonna just play it safe by going to the original location.

It's open again (The geodesic dome off of Guess Road.) They were putting pool tables, a bar and HD TVs in during the renovations. Same great food, but now they have booze too. (At least they should by now. They were waiting on the ABC guys to come by a few weeks ago.)