PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft withdrawal

JasonEvans
05-28-2007, 09:17 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/123132.html

Hope I did not miss this if someone posted it elsewhere, but Brandon Rush is coming back to KU. This is a huge move for them. Obviously, losing Julian Wright is significant, but they now return everyone else from one of the nation's best teams. Plus, they will be extremely experienced with lots of juniors and seniors in their regular rotation.

I think this puts them alongside UNC, Memphis, and maybe UCLA as the top teams coming into the 2007-08 season.

-Jason "Rush's return has not gotten the attention that Hibbert has, but I think Rush is more significant because I think Kansas is better than GTown next year" Evans

CY_devil
05-28-2007, 10:57 AM
I agree with you Jason that Rush is extremely important for KU and IMO will make the difference b/w a good KU team and a very good KU team.
There is a catch though; according to Lawrence Journal World, he tore his ACL (class 3) and will be out 4-6 months.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2007/may/27/brother_says_rush_tore_acl/?mens_basketball

If he can recover and be ready before the Big XII starts, KU should be a very formidable team.

CY_devil

mepanchin
05-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Roy Hibbert is also returning to Georgetown. They lose Jeff Green, but gain a couple of really solid 5 star recruits and return the rest of their FF team. Hibbert was the anchor of their defense and their offense, so I expect them to be in that mix too.

DukeWarhead
05-28-2007, 11:47 AM
The torn ACL is very big in the whole Brandon Rush thing. You never know if a player will fully recover. There is no guarantee that Rush will be better, or even the same, as he was this season. It's a tough break, because I live out here in Kansas and tend to like the KU squad (although the fans do tend to right the DukeHate bandwagon too much.) I hope he can bounce back, but it's certainly a big IF.

xenic
05-28-2007, 01:08 PM
I agree with you Jason that Rush is extremely important for KU and IMO will make the difference b/w a good KU team and a very good KU team.
There is a catch though; according to Lawrence Journal World, he tore his ACL (class 3) and will be out 4-6 months.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2007/may/27/brother_says_rush_tore_acl/?mens_basketball

If he can recover and be ready before the Big XII starts, KU should be a very formidable team.

CY_devil
what do you mean by "class 3"? I've never heard of a scale for ACL tears before, as in almost every case, the tear is complete... typically the only other questions are whether you also tore other ligaments, and how much cartilage you tore.

CY_devil
05-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Hey Xenic,
I have not heard of them before either but after seeing deifferent grades mentioned (by mistake, I wrote level 3 instead of grade 3) I did a quick search and came up with this. I hope it helps. From what I can tell, it is the most severe kind.

"ACL injuries, by themselves, also vary in severity, and thus, can be mild, moderate, or severe (Grades 1, 2, or 3). ............. .Grade 3 is complete disruption of the ACL, with a greater degree of knee instability or "giving out" episodes than with Grade 2 injuries (realize the knee is still held together by other ligaments, as well as by the muscles and tendons which cross it)."

Brian L. Bowyer, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical PM&R
OSU Sports Medicine and Family Health Center
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University

http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/13193.htm

CY_devil

JasonEvans
05-28-2007, 04:14 PM
The torn ACL is very big in the whole Brandon Rush thing. You never know if a player will fully recover. There is no guarantee that Rush will be better, or even the same, as he was this season. It's a tough break, because I live out here in Kansas and tend to like the KU squad (although the fans do tend to right the DukeHate bandwagon too much.) I hope he can bounce back, but it's certainly a big IF.

I heard there was a knee injury that contributed to the decision to withdraw from the draft, but did not know it was something as serious as an ACL tear. Wow!! That puts a whole new spin on KU's season and on how Rush will do this coming year. No way to know how effective he will be or when he will be able to play again.

-Jason "I tore my ACL about 3 years ago-- nasty injury to come back from" Evans

Carlos
05-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Roy Hibbert is also returning to Georgetown. They lose Jeff Green, but gain a couple of really solid 5 star recruits and return the rest of their FF team. Hibbert was the anchor of their defense and their offense, so I expect them to be in that mix too.

Hibbert, while a very good player, was not the anchor of G-town's offense. That role fell to Green who was an excellent passer out of the high post in that offense.

Hibbert's a wonderful player and will be a better pro. But I'm sure if you gave Thompson his choice of which player to have back it would have been Green.

mgtr
05-28-2007, 08:27 PM
I agree. Green was the player around whom an entire team could be built. Very athletic with a great wingspan.

dukemomLA
05-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Defense, defense, defense. I agree (somewhat) that Green sparked the offense -- and I LOVED watching his play. BUT Hibbert is a fierce defender, big guy with a big ....well let's just say he takes up a lot of space in other teams' psyches. That's a BIG plus in my book. For instance, McBob was "big" physically, but no one ever feared his presence on the court.

Taking up another team's mental space is a great asset. And I think Georgetown will be very competitive in 2007-8

captmojo
05-29-2007, 09:04 AM
How would it be if that a player declares for the draft and doesn't follow though, he should be forced to transfer and sit out a year? It would be sort of like George Carlin's take on the old quiz shows, get the answer right or lose your furniture.

crimsonandblue
05-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Well, from a purely selfish perspective, if Rush isn't all the way back this coming season, that may mean he's around for his senior campaign. There are worse things from a Kansas fan's view.

Kansas was looking at running three guards out there a lot of the time without Rush. We'd run some Rod Stewart at the three. But realistically, it was going to be a three guard set of Robinson, Chalmers, and Collins, with a few minutes given to a couple other perimeter people and Stewart. Rush coming back will be big. Initial indications are that KU people think he can be back and practicing by November, which is plenty early enough. The real question will be his confidence in the knee.

Regardless, he can be a big help even without all his athleticism, just by being a big wing shooter we're lacking.

It'll be interesting to see the impact of the loss of Julian Wright. Without him, we'll have some more traditional post players on the floor at all times. Hopefully one of them is able to score with his back to the basket. We haven't had that in a while. Arthur and the freshman, Aldrich, will hopefully get us some inside scoring and negate the loss of Wright's more unusual skills. Kaun can bang and does all the little things right, which is big. Jackson can face up and score out to fifteen to eighteen feet. So, with Rush, we have some good pieces. We'll see how they all mesh. We still don't have a tremendous shooting team...