PDA

View Full Version : Duke 2010-11 opener: Nov. 14

Olympic Fan
07-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Still another month before the 2010-11 schedule is announced, but we learned today that Duke will open the season on Nov. 14 against Princeton in Cameron in the opener of the CBE Classic.

Duke's second game will come two days later (Nov. 16) against Miami of Ohio, also in Cameron.

The CBE is a semi-tournament in that no matter what happens in those two games, Duke will move on to Kansas City for two games Nov. 22-23 for a four-team tournament against Kansas State, Gonzaga and Marquette.

Not sure what the semifinal matchups are ... and it's also probable that Duke will play at least one game between the Miami game on the 16th and the CBE semiifnal on the 22nd.

But the opening matchups were announced today. In addition to the two Duke games, Kansas State will play James Madison and Presbyterian in Manhattan (Kan.); Gonzaga will play IUPUI and San Diego State in Spokane; Marquette will play Bucknell and UW-Green Bay in Milwaukee.

1 24 90
07-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Does anyone know if the IronDukes will have tickets for the Kansas City games or do I just need to purchase them through Ticketmaster?

loran16
07-09-2010, 08:56 AM
The CBE is a semi-tournament in that no matter what happens in those two games, Duke will move on to Kansas City for two games Nov. 22-23 for a four-team tournament against Kansas State, Gonzaga and Marquette.

Not sure what the semifinal matchups are ... and it's also probable that Duke will play at least one game between the Miami game on the 16th and the CBE semiifnal on the 22nd.

But the opening matchups were announced today. In addition to the two Duke games, Kansas State will play James Madison and Presbyterian in Manhattan (Kan.); Gonzaga will play IUPUI and San Diego State in Spokane; Marquette will play Bucknell and UW-Green Bay in Milwaukee.

Have i mentioned how much I despise this? This "Tourny" is just a joke that just tries to get the big money through big teams regardless of results. What's the point? There's no integrity to having the smaller teams at all, really.

If it wanted to call itself a tourny, the CBE should have 4 great teams and a bunch of eh teams, but winner moves on. That at least would make sense. Alas, it's not. And we play in this joke of a "tourny".

(Not to say that the hosts shouldn't all win, but if that's the case, why shoudn't winner move on? Ugh.)

tbyers11
07-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Have i mentioned how much I despise this? This "Tourny" is just a joke that just tries to get the big money through big teams regardless of results. What's the point? There's no integrity to having the smaller teams at all, really.

If it wanted to call itself a tourny, the CBE should have 4 great teams and a bunch of eh teams, but winner moves on. That at least would make sense. Alas, it's not. And we play in this joke of a "tourny".

(Not to say that the hosts shouldn't all win, but if that's the case, why shoudn't winner move on? Ugh.)

I agree that a tourney should have the winners move on and not have the 4 host schools pre-determined to advance. Iowa lost both opening round games in the CBE tourney last year at home to Texas-San Antonio and Duquesne, but still moved on to KC.

This year the only host school that has a "loseable" game in its first two rounds is Gonzaga. I think San Diego St could give them a good game.

NSDukeFan
07-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Still another month before the 2010-11 schedule is announced, but we learned today that Duke will open the season on Nov. 14 against Princeton in Cameron in the opener of the CBE Classic.

Duke's second game will come two days later (Nov. 16) against Miami of Ohio, also in Cameron.

Say it ain't so; over 5 more months until the season's opening games? I guess only 4 more months until CTC and then exhibition games. That's a lot of cinder block and starting line-up discussions.

weezie
07-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Duke will move on to Kansas City for two games Nov. 22-23 for a four-team tournament against Kansas State, Gonzaga and Marquette.

Hey DinK!! Have you got enough clean towels for all of us to come visit?

oldnavy
07-10-2010, 12:22 PM

Agree, should not use the word tournament to discribe this "event" or "showcase".

K>Roy
07-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Does anyone know when they'll be hanging the banners(s)? Will it be at the first game?

airowe
07-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know when they'll be hanging the banners(s)? Will it be at the first game?
They've already hung the Final Four 2010 (check my latest blog post for a pic) and the Final AP #1 banners.

The actual National Title Banner will be unfurled at CTC.

Newton_14
07-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Agree, should not use the word tournament to discribe this "event" or "showcase".

If memory serves, this is the "Gardner-Webb" rule. Not sure if it was the CBE or not, but Gardner-Webb upset Kentucky at Kentucky a few years back and made it to the semi-finals.

Last year the heels played in the CBE and were placed in the semi-finals no matter the outcome of their first 2 games.

It's stupid. It is not a tournament unless only winners advance. This is a slap in the face to the teams that are not allowed to advance.

El_Diablo
07-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Maybe that's why it's not called a tournament.

airowe
07-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Maybe that's why it's not called a tournament.

Right, it's called a Classic.

http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbe/index_main.htm

COYS
07-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Right, it's called a Classic.

http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbe/index_main.htm

Also, as a big fan of the Princeton basketball program, the little schools relish the chance to play against the top dogs, no matter how much the odds are stacked against them. I'm glad Duke is back to playing Princeton again as it provides me with at least one chance to see the Tigers on TV each season.

Indoor66
07-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Also, as a big fan of the Princeton basketball program, the little schools relish the chance to play against the top dogs, no matter how much the odds are stacked against them. I'm glad Duke is back to playing Princeton again as it provides me with at least one chance to see the Tigers on TV each season.

I, too, am glad to see Duke playing Princeton. I recall many fun Princeton games. Pete Carril was always entertaining and his teams tough to beat. We will see what Sydney Johnson can do with the Tigers when the come into Cameron.

COYS
07-11-2010, 06:16 PM
I, too, am glad to see Duke playing Princeton. I recall many fun Princeton games. Pete Carril was always entertaining and his teams tough to beat. We will see what Sydney Johnson can do with the Tigers when the come into Cameron.

Johnson definitely has the program going in the right direction again after the disasterous years with He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named at the helm. I do not think the tigers have a real chance to win. Duke just has too many weapons and will force Princeton to play at a fast pace. Still, I hope they make it enough of a game to keep it interesting.

Olympic Fan
07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
If memory serves, this is the "Gardner-Webb" rule. Not sure if it was the CBE or not, but Gardner-Webb upset Kentucky at Kentucky a few years back and made it to the semi-finals.

Last year the heels played in the CBE and were placed in the semi-finals no matter the outcome of their first 2 games.

It's stupid. It is not a tournament unless only winners advance. This is a slap in the face to the teams that are not allowed to advance.

To be fair, the small schools are taken care of. Although a Princeton and Miami won't get to advance to the semifinals, no matter what, they WILL get to play four games. The first/second round patsies from Durham will play each other and will play first/second round patsies from the other sites.

Some of them will get to host games.

While they can't win the event, they get (1) at least one matchup with a national power' and (2) three games against teams of their level that they can use to extend their season; (3) a big payday.

It might not be an idea solution, but it's not a terrible injustice to those teams.

loran16
07-11-2010, 08:38 PM
To be fair, the small schools are taken care of. Although a Princeton and Miami won't get to advance to the semifinals, no matter what, they WILL get to play four games. The first/second round patsies from Durham will play each other and will play first/second round patsies from the other sites.

Some of them will get to host games.

While they can't win the event, they get (1) at least one matchup with a national power' and (2) three games against teams of their level that they can use to extend their season; (3) a big payday.

It might not be an idea solution, but it's not a terrible injustice to those teams.

Why can't events be organized like the tourny last year in the 76 Classic (in California) and Maui? Each team in those tournies, gets THREE GAMES, no matter if they win or lose (losers play losers, winners play winners).

Sure, less people tend to care about the game for 7th place. But everyone would get 3 games and the non-big teams would generally play at least one good team.

(In the 76 classic last year, UCLA came in last, and UCLA played Butler in the losers bracket in the second round. Is that a problem?)

duke2x
07-11-2010, 11:29 PM
^$$$$ for the hosts and the organizers.

Although it's likely that the Princeton game will be the opener, I would not be surprised to see us play a game on Friday 11/12. K has tended to schedule a lot of games before exams recently. We played Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Saturday to open the season last year. I would not be surprised to see Friday, Sunday, Tuesday, and possibly Thursday before we head to KC on Monday.

Davidson fan
07-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Any truth to rumors circulating regarding a Davidson-Duke matchup @ TWC Arena in Charlotte this year.

duke2x
07-11-2010, 11:39 PM
It would not surprise me. We have usually played a game in Charlotte when they host the NCAAs. 1999, 2002, 2005, 2008 all come to mind.