PDA

View Full Version : Will LeBron help Scheyer?

scottdude8
07-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Interesting subplot to the LeBron drama tonight (how ridiculous was that ESPN coverage and LeBron's egomania?): could this ensure Jon Scheyer will make the Heat?

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2010/07/08/lebron-joins-wade-bosh-in-miami-is-scheyer-next/

dukelifer
07-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Interesting subplot to the LeBron drama tonight (how ridiculous was that ESPN coverage and LeBron's egomania?): could this ensure Jon Scheyer will make the Heat?

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2010/07/08/lebron-joins-wade-bosh-in-miami-is-scheyer-next/
Well they need a bunch of guys who make very little. Jon will be an excellent role player on a team with three superstars. Could be.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-08-2010, 10:10 PM
BTW, how many active NBA players have won both an NCAA title and an NBA championship? I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but how sweet would that be?

MisterRoddy
07-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Well the Heat will need shooters..Jon Scheyer is definitely a shooter. Hopefully, he makes the team and gets a spot in the rotation eventually.

DevilHorns
07-08-2010, 10:23 PM
I can see it now:

Bosh with the rebound, outlet to Wade streaking down the court, dishes out to Lebron for the 3 point, Lebron with the quick pass to an open Scheyer, SWISH!

(I know, I'm getting ahead of myself, Pat Riley wouldn't play to SGs at the same time...hehe)

El_Diablo
07-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Maybe Jon could let LeBron try on his ring.

Devilsfan
07-08-2010, 10:26 PM
LeBron is a very impressive speaker. He speaks much better than a lot of college athletes (non-Duke) around here that get interviewed after games and he (LeBron) only has twelve years of formal education. Also he must think that the quality of life for a twenty-five year old is slightly better in South Beach than the Beach on Lake Erie. He is smart enough to see what Jon has to offer and not really effect the salary cap. Jon just wants to play in the league (IMO) and this could be his opportunitiy. Lets hope so.

Duke09
07-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I rushed over here to ask the same question. LeBron signing almost guarantees contracts for their 2nd round picks, Dexter Pittman, Vonardo, and Butler. I hope it means the same for Scheyer. If he can guard an NBA PG or SG, i think we can play with this team. We know he can hit shots, but he has to be able to guard.

papa whiskey
07-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Maybe Jon could let LeBron try on his ring.

NICE!

rthomas
07-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Da'Sean Butler might just benefit from this too!

KenTankerous
07-09-2010, 12:47 AM
I hope Jon gets to play with these guys. He could make them athletes instead of players.

MisterRoddy
07-09-2010, 12:51 AM
I can see it now:

Bosh with the rebound, outlet to Wade streaking down the court, dishes out to Lebron for the 3 point, Lebron with the quick pass to an open Scheyer, SWISH!

(I know, I'm getting ahead of myself, Pat Riley wouldn't play to SGs at the same time...hehe)

Well, with D-Wade and Lebron in the same lineup, I'm sure Jon would serve as a sufficient point guard.

DevilHorns
07-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Well, with D-Wade and Lebron in the same lineup, I'm sure Jon would serve as a sufficient point guard.

I love Jon, and I'm as big a supporter of him as anyone, but I don't think he will play substantial minutes if he does make the Heat roster as a rookie. At this point, I just want him to make the roster. I think he would be an excellent get for the heat as an all-purpose guard that can fill in for some garbage minutes as a rookie. To see him playing back-up to Chalmers, IMHO, would be a stretch.

AND by all standards I hope I am dead dead wrong about this. I do think Jon can be solid in the NBA, but as an undrafted rookie to have that much responsibility as the backup PG? (there is precedent however, our own Demarcus Nelson started as PG for the warriors as an undrafted rookie; I believe he was the first and only player to ever do that)

MisterRoddy
07-09-2010, 01:47 AM
I love Jon, and I'm as big a supporter of him as anyone, but I don't think he will play substantial minutes if he does make the Heat roster as a rookie. At this point, I just want him to make the roster. I think he would be an excellent get for the heat as an all-purpose guard that can fill in for some garbage minutes as a rookie. To see him playing back-up to Chalmers, IMHO, would be a stretch.

AND by all standards I hope I am dead dead wrong about this. I do think Jon can be solid in the NBA, but as an undrafted rookie to have that much responsibility as the backup PG? (there is precedent however, our own Demarcus Nelson started as PG for the warriors as an undrafted rookie; I believe he was the first and only player to ever do that)

Well, I didn't necessarily specify what year he would be a sufficient point guard for the two, but I think, if he does make the roster, with his work ethic and talent, he will be able to earn a spot in the rotation in the coming years. That is my hope.

amazinballer323
07-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Any shot Zoubek ends up there either? He has a better shot at playing right away with the screens he sets and his rebounding

ice-9
07-09-2010, 03:28 AM
If the Nets don't sign Zoubek, the Heat should take a long, hard look at our big fella. Unless they envision Bosh playing the center.

mr. synellinden
07-09-2010, 10:02 AM

In fact, I think Jon would be a perfect back-up point guard for a team like the Heat. With Wade or James on the court most of the time, he wouldn't have to bring the ball up all the time and with his height he could defend either guard positions giving them flexibility with defensive matchups.

uh_no
07-09-2010, 10:16 AM
I hope Jon gets to play with these guys. He could make them athletes instead of players.

I'm pretty sure lebron and dwyane don't need jon scheyer to be athletes.....

CDu
07-09-2010, 10:24 AM
It appears that the Heat are trying to sign Mike Miller. If they do that and bring in another veteran guard for the minimum, that would mean no minutes for Scheyer in the near future.

Also, the Heat apparently plan to play James at PG. With Chalmers available as a backup combo guard, it may be very hard for Scheyer to find minutes.

Miami would be a great opportunity for Scheyer to sit on the bench of a championship team, but I don't think it's a great fit for him to get a lot of playing time.

If he does sign with the Heat, hopefully he proves me wrong.

CrazieDUMB
07-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Jeez, when was the last time an undrafted rookie ever started the opening game? Oh wait, DeMarcus Nelson. :)

The heat have 9 spaces for minimum contracts. I don't see a problem with Scheyer making that team. Even if Lebron and Wade play the 1-2, you have to remember that the NBA isn't like college; that is, there's a lot more minutes to go around, and at 82 games it's very difficult to average 40 mpg a night. Because he's steady-handed, smart, and turnover free, he's a good fit as a bench player.

CDu
07-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Jeez, when was the last time an undrafted rookie ever started the opening game? Oh wait, DeMarcus Nelson. :)

The heat have 9 spaces for minimum contracts. I don't see a problem with Scheyer making that team. Even if Lebron and Wade play the 1-2, you have to remember that the NBA isn't like college; that is, there's a lot more minutes to go around, and at 82 games it's very difficult to average 40 mpg a night. Because he's steady-handed, smart, and turnover free, he's a good fit as a bench player.

Actually, they only have 8 spaces for minimum contracts (they have Wade, James, Bosh, and Chalmers). And if they sign Miller, they only have 7. And note that of the 5 players they'd have under contract, 4 of them will play guard/wing positions ahead of Scheyer, with Chalmers and Miller taking those backup minutes for James and Wade.

It's a great place for Scheyer to hang out and be a part of a team that might win titles. It's not a great place for Scheyer to get minutes on the floor.

ice-9
07-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Actually, they only have 8 spaces for minimum contracts (they have Wade, James, Bosh, and Chalmers). And if they sign Miller, they only have 7. And note that of the 5 players they'd have under contract, 4 of them will play guard/wing positions ahead of Scheyer, with Chalmers and Miller taking those backup minutes for James and Wade.

It's a great place for Scheyer to hang out and be a part of a team that might win titles. It's not a great place for Scheyer to get minutes on the floor.

Great place for Zoubek though!

OK I'll shut up now.

CDu
07-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Great place for Zoubek though!

OK I'll shut up now.

It would be a great place for Zoubek. If he doesn't make the cut with the Nets, that'd be a great place to try out.