PDA

View Full Version : No more Sunday night FSN basketball games?!

MulletMan
07-08-2010, 02:03 PM
File this under the "too-good-to-be-true" folder, but it looks like all ACC football and basketball games will be moving to the ESPN family of networks (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/23594/acc-tv-contract-announced).

No more crappy FSN broadcasts?! No more awful Sunday night time slots!? Sweet! :D

SCMatt33
07-08-2010, 02:20 PM
File this under the "too-good-to-be-true" folder, but it looks like all ACC football and basketball games will be moving to the ESPN family of networks (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/23594/acc-tv-contract-announced).

No more crappy FSN broadcasts?! No more awful Sunday night time slots!? Sweet! :D

Go Duke (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204966646) has a more extensive release. It goes into detail about the exact programming and stated "Highlighting the schedule will be a new weekly ESPNU Sunday telecast." It doesn't state what form that telecast will take. Theoretically it could be a weekly highlight show or a crappy game that it deemed not good enough for the rest of the schedule, but it could also be ACC Sunday Night Hoops on ESPNU, about the only thing worse that what there is now. It doesn't seem likely that they would banish Duke and Carolina games to ESPNU, but they might if they are trying to beef up the profile of that channel and get it onto basic cable and not just the standard digital package as it is in most places right now.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-08-2010, 02:30 PM

More here (http://www.multichannel.com/article/454572-ESPN_ACC_Connect_On_1_9_Billion_Rights_Deal.php?rs sid=20059&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MultichannelBreakingNews+%28M ultichannel+News+-+Breaking+News%29&utm_content=Google+Reader).

Major implications:
-All games should be available on ESPN3
-More Dickie V? Less Mike Gminski? :(
-$1.9 Billion split amongst the league (wow)
-A Plumblee jumping out of bounds into your living room (via ESPN3D)
-Cable TV rates will increase

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Go Duke (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204966646) has a more extensive release. It goes into detail about the exact programming and stated "Highlighting the schedule will be a new weekly ESPNU Sunday telecast." It doesn't state what form that telecast will take. Theoretically it could be a weekly highlight show or a crappy game that it deemed not good enough for the rest of the schedule, but it could also be ACC Sunday Night Hoops on ESPNU, about the only thing worse that what there is now. It doesn't seem likely that they would banish Duke and Carolina games to ESPNU, but they might if they are trying to beef up the profile of that channel and get it onto basic cable and not just the standard digital package as it is in most places right now.

ESPNU will no longer be a lower profile channel. Rights to SEC and ACC games will make it pretty integral many sports fans at least on the East Coast. MSOs will have to bite the bullet and add the channel to the standard packages and of course will pass the bill onto you.

That's my take at least.

MulletMan
07-08-2010, 02:36 PM
More here (http://www.multichannel.com/article/454572-ESPN_ACC_Connect_On_1_9_Billion_Rights_Deal.php?rs sid=20059&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MultichannelBreakingNews+%28M ultichannel+News+-+Breaking+News%29&utm_content=Google+Reader).

Major implications:
-All games should be available on ESPN3
-More Dickie V? Less Mike Gminski? :(
-$1.9 Billion split amongst the league (wow)
-A Plumblee jumping out of bounds into your living room (via ESPN3D)
-Cable TV rates will increase

Ah ha... Sunday night games, but none tipping later than 6:00PM ET. A decent compromise. Plus we won't have to watch FSN's shoddy production.

Cary
07-08-2010, 02:57 PM
The one positive that Fox had was allowing enough time for the entire basketball game in their schedule. ESPN has the annoying habit of only allowing 2 hours for a game. Inevitably you end up missing the first 10 minutes of the game you want to watch while the first game crawls to an end. That drives me crazy.

PADukeMom
07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Seriously??? Geeze that means I am going to have to add yet another tier to my cable. My rate jumed $25/month because my son had to have the BBC.

rhcpflea99
07-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Bad news for me FSN was part of my regular cable package, now I will have to shell out more $$$$. Looks like I will be streaming games.

delfrio
07-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Terrible news for us basic cable subscribers. Why can't they just show them on CBS with no commercial breaks?
:cool:

tommy
07-08-2010, 05:00 PM
More Mike Patrick and less Mike Gminski? Ugh.

WiJoe
07-08-2010, 06:13 PM

Your comments are SO uninformed / sour.

Now we'll miss more starts because of incessant espn commercials that make the early game run long. I really enjoy missing half of the first half in favor of some crummy big ten / big east garbage. And more vitale. YUCK!

RoyalBlue08
07-08-2010, 06:31 PM
I think this is an overall positive move. The quality of the ESPN broadcasts is just so much higher, from replays to sound to visual. I do agree that the way they pack games into 2 hours causing us to miss the beginnings needs to go. I fear with ESPN3, it is here to stay though. They will always argue you can catch the beginning on ESPN3 if you need to. Unfortunately for the many of us stuck with Time Warner Cable/Internet, we have no access to ESPN3!

WiJoe
07-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I think this is an overall positive move. The quality of the ESPN broadcasts is just so much higher, from replays to sound to visual. I do agree that the way they pack games into 2 hours causing us to miss the beginnings needs to go. I fear with ESPN3, it is here to stay though. They will always argue you can catch the beginning on ESPN3 if you need to. Unfortunately for the many of us stuck with Time Warner Cable/Internet, we have no access to ESPN3!

Ok, so to make sure I've got this straight ...

POSITIVES

"quality of the ESPN broadcasts is just so much higher, from replays to sound to visual

NEGATIVES
pack games into 2 hours causing us to miss the beginnings needs to go.

many of us stuck with Time Warner Cable/Internet, we have no access to ESPN3

Not to be a wanker, but are you too young to realize how much verbal and visual pollution ESPN is responsible for?

Cameron
07-08-2010, 07:59 PM
As I've said before, this sucks. ESPN sucks.

I for one will miss the nighttime broadcasts of the G-man and Tim Brando Sundays throughout the winter. Too bad. The end of an era (even if it wasn't that long, FSN has done a wonderful job for years as my weekend savior, staving off Monday for just a little bit longer).

:(

JimBD
07-08-2010, 08:19 PM
If Fox is gone, good riddance! I frequently got to watch Duke come onto the court, then got a blank screen except for the message "not available in your area". I've cursed out Fox and Directv many times. Neither would give me an adequate answer as to why I was paying for the Fox channels, but most Duke games (including sold-out games) on Fox were blacked out in New Orleans. I was paying for something I didn't get.

Indoor66
07-08-2010, 08:21 PM

I for one will miss the nighttime broadcasts of the G-man and Tim Brando Sundays throughout the winter. Too bad. The end of an era (even if it wasn't that long, FSN has done a wonderful job for years as my weekend savior, staving off Monday for just a little bit longer).

I agree, Cameron. The idea of having to depend on the whim of the worldwide leader for my ACC basketball is frightening. Their broadcast decisions and my interests often to not coincide. I think we will all long for the broadcasts of Fox Sunday Night ACC Hoops. ;)

Duvall
07-08-2010, 08:27 PM
The one positive that Fox had was allowing enough time for the entire basketball game in their schedule. ESPN has the annoying habit of only allowing 2 hours for a game. Inevitably you end up missing the first 10 minutes of the game you want to watch while the first game crawls to an end. That drives me crazy.

On the other hand, ESPN will never preempt an entire game for inane NFL post-game coverage. Less than a year from Comcast SportsNet becoming completely irrelevant - I can hardly wait.

WiJoe
07-08-2010, 09:01 PM

BRAVO!

"Espn sucks." Or, if you prefer to be politically correct, inhales vigorously.

basket1544
07-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I loved Sunday Night FSN broadcasting. The commentators actually knew the players they were talking about. Yeah, the station has some audio issues but I watch ESPN games on mute most of the time so those are audio issues too. Can ESPN hire G-man?

Kimist
07-09-2010, 12:16 AM
The only way I get to watch ESPNU is to pay doggone Time Warner Cable more money. :mad:

Bummer!

oldnavy
07-09-2010, 07:16 AM
On the other hand, ESPN will never preempt an entire game for inane NFL post-game coverage. Less than a year from Comcast SportsNet becoming completely irrelevant - I can hardly wait.

Not to mention ESPN's most annoying habit of showing everything BUT the action on the court. At least we will get lots of looks at Ms Curry (and Dell when he is at the game), or that always important close up of a player who just made a jump shot running down the court while an inbound pass is stolen for a layup... arrrrgh!!

Remember EntertainmentSPN, they feel like they MUST entertain which means cutting away from the action to show junk nobody is interested in.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-09-2010, 09:30 AM
The only way I get to watch ESPNU is to pay doggone Time Warner Cable more money. :mad:

Bummer!

Someone has to foot the $1.9B bill and it sure won't be ESPN or the cable co's. Even if TWC moves ESPNU to a standard tier, your rates (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/01/01/1154242/time-warner-cables-rates-rise.html)will rise just like they always do.

The 2 hour timeslots for games is a big pet peeve of mine.

stillcrazie
07-09-2010, 10:12 AM
I am still not 100% sure how this will affect me. Before, with basic cable, I could see all Duke games on TV. Now I will not be able to do so unless I subscribe to a plan that includes ESPN3 and/or ESPNU? I am not sure how this is supposed to be good news. I'd rather see a game on FOX, whatever the broadcast quality, than have to pay more than I am already paying.

Onlyduke
07-09-2010, 10:59 AM
I am still not 100% sure how this will affect me. Before, with basic cable, I could see all Duke games on TV. Now I will not be able to do so unless I subscribe to a plan that includes ESPN3 and/or ESPNU? I am not sure how this is supposed to be good news. I'd rather see a game on FOX, whatever the broadcast quality, than have to pay more than I am already paying.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-09-2010, 01:37 PM

It's likely that you will have no problems watching all the games you used to see and won't need to change a thing. I expect TWC to add ESPNU to the basic lineup (TWC may take away ESPN Classic like DirecTV did). No need to worry about ESPN3.com, it's just an online simulcast site.

Faison1
07-09-2010, 01:49 PM

I have to agree here. I really enjoyed Sunday evening hoops. I thought the Gman was excellent. The only channel I had a problem with was Raycom. They were absolutely horrible. But I found the broadcast with FSN to be pretty good, astheticly, too (always in HD, if I remember correctly). It was like they were focused and in tune with the ACC, its players, and its fans.

stillcrazie
07-10-2010, 08:51 AM
It's likely that you will have no problems watching all the games you used to see and won't need to change a thing. I expect TWC to add ESPNU to the basic lineup (TWC may take away ESPN Classic like DirecTV did). No need to worry about ESPN3.com, it's just an online simulcast site.

I hope you are right! I am a grad student and can't afford to be spending money on high-end cable packages! Thanks.

I also hope that if State or UNC are playing on the same night as Duke, I will be able to see our game.

lilblue
07-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Any chance that Gman and Tim Brando get hired by ESPN or maybe CBS? Perhaps we start a petition demanding it! :rolleyes:

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Any chance that Gman and Tim Brando get hired by ESPN or maybe CBS? Perhaps we start a petition demanding it! :rolleyes:

Facebook worked for Betty White.

Duvall
07-10-2010, 06:38 PM

Why would we want Tim Brando to go to ESPN? He's mediocre at best.

And Raycom is still going to exist, so they will need someone to call their games.

Onlyduke
07-11-2010, 03:06 PM
I live in NC. The Duke/Carolina games have been blacked out on ESPN and I get them on Raycom. Does anyone know if this will still happen?

Duvall
07-11-2010, 03:12 PM
I live in NC. The Duke/Carolina games have been blacked out on ESPN and I get them on Raycom. Does anyone know if this will still happen?

It will not, at least after this coming season. Beginning with the 2011-2012 season, the first Duke/UNC game will be available on both Raycom and ESPN in those places where Raycom is available, and will be blacked out nowhere.

mgtr
07-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Other than the late night games, I never had a problem with FSN. No matter where I was, I could be sure of receiving FSN.

Acymetric
07-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Other than the late night games, I never had a problem with FSN. No matter where I was, I could be sure of receiving FSN.

Really? When I was in Ohio it was basically impossible for me to watch Duke games on FSN unless I went to a sports bar, and even then only maybe.

mgtr
07-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Well, I have a little different situation. I have a motorhome with Directv and an in-motion satellite. I subscribe to the sports package, or whatever they call it this month, so I can most sports stuff (well, of course, unless I park in a tunnel!)
Without the motorhome, yes, I have had to go to a sports bar -- OK at 7PM, less good at 10PM.

CameronBornAndBred
07-11-2010, 05:37 PM
TWC may take away ESPN Classic like DirecTV did.
They didn't take it away, they moved it to channel 614.

PADukeMom
07-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I just got off the phone with my cable company & was told they do not have any current plans to add ESPN3 to their line-up.

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2010, 01:41 PM
I just got off the phone with my cable company & was told they do not have any current plans to add ESPN3 to their line-up.
They wouldn't, and no other TV outlet can either. It's broadband (internet) only. What blows is if your internet provider (such as mine, Time-Warner) doesn't have a partnership with them.

From wikipedia..
ESPN3, formerly ESPN360.com, is a broadband network for live sports programming in North America, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Middle East and Europe (except Italy). In the U.S. the network can only be accessed through Internet service providers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_service_provider) (ISPs) who have signed up and paid ESPN for the service. The entire service is paid by the individual as a part of their ISP cost, whether they use the service or not. (In that way, ESPN3 is similar to the ESPN cable networks, in which distributors sign carriage deals.) There are occasions where ESPN3 is "all access" and permits all individuals to access the site. These periods are advertised on the ESPN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN) family of networks. Outside the U.S. the service is available via both subscribing and non-subscribing ISPs with some of the content offered on a subscription basis only.

PADukeMom
07-12-2010, 02:40 PM
They wouldn't, and no other TV outlet can either. It's broadband (internet) only. What blows is if your internet provider (such as mine, Time-Warner) doesn't have a partnership with them.

From wikipedia..
ESPN3, formerly ESPN360.com, is a broadband network for live sports programming in North America, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Middle East and Europe (except Italy). In the U.S. the network can only be accessed through Internet service providers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_service_provider) (ISPs) who have signed up and paid ESPN for the service. The entire service is paid by the individual as a part of their ISP cost, whether they use the service or not. (In that way, ESPN3 is similar to the ESPN cable networks, in which distributors sign carriage deals.) There are occasions where ESPN3 is "all access" and permits all individuals to access the site. These periods are advertised on the ESPN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN) family of networks. Outside the U.S. the service is available via both subscribing and non-subscribing ISPs with some of the content offered on a subscription basis only.

So if I have my facts correct, the ACC won 5 out of the last 10 NCAA championships & ESPN won't allow the games to be shown except for those who will pay to watch it on their computers??? It's a no-brainer that I will pay for it but dang!!!!

tbyers11
07-12-2010, 02:46 PM
So if I have my facts correct, the ACC won 5 out of the last 10 NCAA championships & ESPN won't allow the games to be shown except for those who will pay to watch it on their computers??? It's a no-brainer that I will pay for it but dang!!!!

No, ESPN will show the games just as they have been on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU on TV. They will also be showing all of these games on ESPN3 (formerly ESPN360) their online website.

The only issue that most people are having with the new contract is that the Sunday night (or Sunday afternoon games starting in 2011-2012) will be shown only on ESPNU that some people can't get in their standard cable package. They might have to upgrade to a sports tier to get ESPNU.

stillcrazie
07-12-2010, 02:53 PM
No, ESPN will show the games just as they have been on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU on TV. They will also be showing all of these games on ESPN3 (formerly ESPN360) their online website.

The only issue that most people are having with the new contract is that the Sunday night (or Sunday afternoon games starting in 2011-2012) will be shown only on ESPNU that some people can't get in their standard cable package. They might have to upgrade to a sports tier to get ESPNU.

So is ESPN3 free?

Tappan Zee Devil
07-12-2010, 03:05 PM
So is ESPN3 free?

See Post #38 in this strand. It apparently depends on who is your Internet provider.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-12-2010, 03:08 PM
So is ESPN3 free?

Yes, but your Internet Service Provider must have an agreement with ESPN to get access to it. Many do, but some big ones like Time Warner, don't at this time.

http://espn.go.com/espn3/

WiJoe
07-12-2010, 03:12 PM
And MANY of you were so QUICK to rip FSN. Not such a fantastic deal now, is it?

:D

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-12-2010, 03:12 PM

Exactly, there will really only be an issue if TWC doesn't add ESPNU by the 2011-2012 season. I would imagine that they will be forced by consumer demand to add it by then.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-12-2010, 03:15 PM
They didn't take it away, they moved it to channel 614.

Yes, but this banished it to the Sports Pack which costs an additional $12.99 per month. I'd call that taking it away.

CameronBornAndBred
07-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Yes, but this banished it to the Sports Pack which costs an additional $12.99 per month. I'd call that taking it away.
Ahh..ok. I already pay for that so I didn't notice. (I'll pay to see Duke games long before I'll pay to watch movies.)

MulletMan
07-12-2010, 03:51 PM
And MANY of you were so QUICK to rip FSN. Not such a fantastic deal now, is it?

:D

No... I'd still slam FSN. Most of their live event coverage is pretty crappy. That includes coverage on Fox broadcast.

All of you who are wringing your hands over a Sunday night game on ESPNU... how many times do you think ESPN is going to slot Duke, or UNC into that slot? It was one thing when there was a contract divided between 2 networks... I'm sure FSN had a deal to get a certain # of appearences from Duke and UNC each season. But now ESPN will get to schedule it up, and my bet is they're looking to keep Duke and UNC on the flagship or the deuce in primetime, weeknight slots.

stillcrazie
07-12-2010, 04:06 PM
No... I'd still slam FSN. Most of their live event coverage is pretty crappy. That includes coverage on Fox broadcast.

Again, if I miss games now because as a grad student I can't pay more than I already pay, I will be pissed. I know I can't be the only one.

tbyers11
07-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Again, if I miss games now because as a grad student I can't pay more than I already pay, I will be pissed. I know I can't be the only one.

ESPNU already covered a bunch of ACC and a couple of Duke games the past few years. The Duke game on ESPNU last year was the Coastal Carolina game. IIRC, there hasn't been a Duke ACC conference game on ESPNU for at least the last two years, if ever. It is usually the NCST-Miami or BC-FSU type games that end up on ESPNU.

I don't really see how not having ESPNU is really going to make a big difference in our Duke watching experience. I agree with MulletMan that ESPN is not likely to put many Duke or UNC games on ESPNU in the Sunday afternoon time slots. And unless your internet provider is Time Warner you can still watch all the ESPNU games for free on ESPN3. Also as HaveFunExpectToWin said, by the time this contract takes place in 2011-12, ESPNU will likely be in most standard digital cable packages. It has been on my standard digital package for almost 2 years with BrightHouse in Orlando.

stillcrazie
07-12-2010, 04:35 PM
ESPNU already covered a bunch of ACC and a couple of Duke games the past few years. The Duke game on ESPNU last year was the Coastal Carolina game. IIRC, there hasn't been a Duke ACC conference game on ESPNU for at least the last two years, if ever. It is usually the NCST-Miami or BC-FSU type games that end up on ESPNU.

I don't really see how not having ESPNU is really going to make a big difference in our Duke watching experience. I agree with MulletMan that ESPN is not likely to put many Duke or UNC games on ESPNU in the Sunday afternoon time slots. And unless your internet provider is Time Warner you can still watch all the ESPNU games for free on ESPN3. Also as HaveFunExpectToWin said, by the time this contract takes place in 2011-12, ESPNU will likely be in most standard digital cable packages. It has been on my standard digital package for almost 2 years with BrightHouse in Orlando.

I have Time Warner. That is why I am worried. Unless every game is on ESPN or ESPN2, I am outta luck.

stillcrazie
07-12-2010, 04:36 PM

And I don't think I can count on Time Warner to throw in ESPN3 for free, but it could happen I guess.

JimBD
07-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I still hate Fox Sports because of all the Duke games they black out in New Orleans. I pay Directv extra for the Fox channels but still can't get most of the Duke games carried by Fox.

tbyers11
07-12-2010, 04:46 PM
I have Time Warner. That is why I am worried. Unless every game is on ESPN or ESPN2, I am outta luck.

And I don't think I can count on Time Warner to throw in ESPN3 for free, but it could happen I guess.

It does seem like you are out of luck with Time Warner cable. Maybe switch your internet from cable to DSL and you will almost assuredly get ESPN3.

Or do what I did when the local FSN station didn't carry the FSN Sunday night game here in Florida. Find a friend with DirecTV or go out to a sports bar for a game or two.

Best of luck.

Acymetric
07-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Go to campus (any campus) and get on the internet, you'll get ESPN3 for free. So that should solve the problem if a game or two wind up on ESPNU. Additionally, with Time Warner the package to get ESPNU is 3 bucks, you could just subscribe to the package for the month including the game and then unsubscribe afterward, 3 bucks for a game isn't terrible, cheaper than going to a sports bar at least.

3rd Dukie
07-12-2010, 05:53 PM
I agree, Cameron. The idea of having to depend on the whim of the worldwide leader for my ACC basketball is frightening. Their broadcast decisions and my interests often to not coincide. I think we will all long for the broadcasts of Fox Sunday Night ACC Hoops. ;)

I agree with this.
I enjoyed the FSN broadcasts.

msdukie
07-12-2010, 08:16 PM
1. According to the ACC/ESPN teleconference, ESPN hopes to have ESPN3 on Time Warner/Bright House by the start of football season.

2. ESPN3 does NOT simulcast ESPNU games, only original programming, ESPN, and ESPN2.

Acymetric
07-12-2010, 08:25 PM
1. According to the ACC/ESPN teleconference, ESPN hopes to have ESPN3 on Time Warner/Bright House by the start of football season.

2. ESPN3 does NOT simulcast ESPNU games, only original programming, ESPN, and ESPN2.

Not true, I streamed multiple ESPNU games in the past between football and basketball.

stillcrazie
07-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Go to campus (any campus) and get on the internet, you'll get ESPN3 for free. So that should solve the problem if a game or two wind up on ESPNU. Additionally, with Time Warner the package to get ESPNU is 3 bucks, you could just subscribe to the package for the month including the game and then unsubscribe afterward, 3 bucks for a game isn't terrible, cheaper than going to a sports bar at least.

$3 -- thanks. I am surprised to hear it is that low. But hopefully, as another poster said, Time Warner will come through.

jimsumner
07-13-2010, 10:18 AM
"But hopefully, as another poster said, Time Warner will come through"

As someone who has been waiting for MASN for years, you'll pardon my skepticism.

Onlyduke
07-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know when the 2010-11 schedule will come out? That lists the games and what network carries them. Let's all hope for the best!

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-14-2010, 12:22 PM
For those TWC subscribers, I thought you'd find this interesting. TWC is already gearing up for their fight with Disney (owner of ABC/ESPN) over their carriage deal which comes up this fall. http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Time-Warner-Cable-Gets-Tough-Again-Sort-Of-109361

This could be when they come to terms with ESPN on moving ESPNU to a basic tier and whether ESPN3.com accessible for TWC users. It might be good to make yourselves heard in the upcoming months rather than waiting until next year.

Exiled_Devil
07-14-2010, 06:51 PM

All of you who are wringing your hands over a Sunday night game on ESPNU... how many times do you think ESPN is going to slot Duke, or UNC into that slot? It was one thing when there was a contract divided between 2 networks... I'm sure FSN had a deal to get a certain # of appearences from Duke and UNC each season. But now ESPN will get to schedule it up, and my bet is they're looking to keep Duke and UNC on the flagship or the deuce in primetime, weeknight slots.

OR

ESPN plants some big Duke conference games on ESPNU and then lets TWC deal with angry customers as leverage to force TWC to put ESPNU on the digital tier in order to reap more revenue.

TWC in the triangle already has it on digital. Phew.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Here's confirmation that access to ESPN3.com for TWC subscribers is being discussed and an ESPN exec is optimistic that a deal will be in place by THIS football season. ESPNU isn't mentioned.

Negotiations for ESPN3.com are also an integral part of parent The Walt Disney Co.’s negotiations with Time Warner Cable, as the content company’s deal with the No. 2 cable operator is set to expire on Sept. 2.

ESPN executive vice president of content John Skipper... said he anticipates that a deal will be in place before the start of the 2010 football season. Time Warner Cable has a dominant presence in North Carolina and is also well-positioned in South Carolina.

LINK (http://www.multichannel.com/article/455135-ESPN3_Wins_Over_Small_Ops.php?rssid=20059&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MultichannelBreakingNews+%28M ultichannel+News+-+Breaking+News%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

pfrduke
07-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Does anyone know when the 2010-11 schedule will come out? That lists the games and what network carries them. Let's all hope for the best!

It is traditionally the third Friday in August. There have been some minor delays in recent years, but it's always right around then.

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-03-2010, 10:26 AM
As was assumed, TWC customers will be getting ESPN3.com. http://www.mediabistro.com/sportsnewser/disney-time-warner-cable-cut-deal_b944

There isn't any discussion of how ESPNU is handled, I'm guessing that it'll be business as usual, so you'll need the extra sports tier/package.

One interesting piece of news is that they are adding some new content called ESPN Goal Line which sounds exactly like the NFL Red Zone channel but for college football. Additionally, TWC customers will be able to view the traditional ESPN channels on things like iPads.

Access to a new authenticated service, which will give Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks subscribers the opportunity to watch the linear networks ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU through their broadband services, as well as mobile Internet devices like an iPad. Details on the launch will be forthcoming.

msdukie
09-03-2010, 10:53 AM
As was assumed, TWC customers will be getting ESPN3.com. http://www.mediabistro.com/sportsnewser/disney-time-warner-cable-cut-deal_b944

There isn't any discussion of how ESPNU is handled, I'm guessing that it'll be business as usual, so you'll need the extra sports tier/package.

One interesting piece of news is that they are adding some new content called ESPN Goal Line which sounds exactly like the NFL Red Zone channel but for college football. Additionally, TWC customers will be able to view the traditional ESPN channels on things like iPads.

There will be a version of goal line for hoops too, but we don't have the details yet. ESPNU is generally available on the digital tier, not an extra sports tier.

Acymetric
09-03-2010, 11:13 AM
There will be a version of goal line for hoops too, but we don't have the details yet. ESPNU is generally available on the digital tier, not an extra sports tier.

I live in Elon and I'm positive ESPNU is part of the sports package for Time Warner (at least here...I would think it would be similar in other places)...its almost the entire reason I bought the sports package.

I think the only other channels I've used it for are CBS College sports for maybe 1 football game and then the Big 10 network on occasion. On the other hand, it was 3 bucks a month, so I'd say it was worth it.

budwom
09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I trust that people have noticed by now that there ARE FSN Sunday games on our schedule, some of which start at 7:45 or 8 pm. Not sure why some assumed otherwise. ESPN always said they'd distribute the games as they saw fit.

tbyers11
09-03-2010, 11:57 AM
I trust that people have noticed by now that there ARE FSN Sunday games on our schedule, some of which start at 7:45 or 8 pm. Not sure why some assumed otherwise. ESPN always said they'd distribute the games as they saw fit.

The new ESPN/ACC contract which said it will likely get rid of late Sunday night games and which will get rid of FSN doesn't take place until the 2011-2012 season.