PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Dilemma

NYC Duke Fan
07-07-2010, 08:31 PM
When JJ Reddick was a star at Duke and as Duke fans we all loved him and rooted as hard as we could for him.

What if now you are a big Celtic fan and the Celtics are now playing the Orlando Magic for the right to play in the NBA Championship game..do you now root against JJ to do poorly against the Celtics?

What if you are a Knick fan and Jon Scheyer somehow makes the Miami Heat, when they play do you root against him when he gets in, after loving him to death this past season? Same for Brian Zoubek if he makes The Nets.

amazinballer323
07-07-2010, 08:36 PM
You root for your team to win but for said player to do well.

I'd love in that situation for Boston to win 100 to 99, with JJ getting all 99 :)

roywhite
07-07-2010, 08:45 PM
When JJ Reddick was a star at Duke and as Duke fans we all loved him and rooted as hard as we could for him.

We cared so much about him, we learned to spell his name.

Even though it was a dilemna for some.

_TheFakeJWill_
07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Im a huge lakers fan. When the Lakers were playing the Magic last season against JJ i was wanting the Lakers to win but for JJ to pad the boxscore in a loss... common sense to me :)

K>Roy
07-07-2010, 09:08 PM
This is a corollary to the First Rule of Fantasy Sports: if your guy is going against your team, root for your guy to kill it and your team to win.

RoyalBlue08
07-07-2010, 09:29 PM
This is exactly why I don't get attached to any NBA teams.

CameronBornAndBred
07-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Similar thoughts to RoyalBlue, but this is not why I don't get attached. I just don't enjoy the NBA game nearly as much as I do college, so I really don't care who wins. If two Dukies go against each other, I want to see as much floor time for each as possible. Beyond that, meh.

MisterRoddy
07-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Similar thoughts to RoyalBlue, but this is not why I don't get attached. I just don't enjoy the NBA game nearly as much as I do college, so I really don't care who wins. If two Dukies go against each other, I want to see as much floor time for each as possible. Beyond that, meh.

I actually enjoy the NBA when:

- The Miami Heat are playing.
- Stephen Curry is playing
- CP3 and/or Deron Williams are playing
- Kobe and/or Lebron are playing.
- The Thunder are playing.
- Some other teams I don't mind watching: Magic, Bulls, Suns, Grizzlies. Blazers.

Also, I agree with the idea that you cheer for your team while hoping the Dukie has a heckuva game.

NYC Duke Fan
07-08-2010, 12:49 AM
You root for your team to win but for said player to do well.

I'd love in that situation for Boston to win 100 to 99, with JJ getting all 99 :)

But to miss both of the free throws as he was fouled as time ran out !!!!

ThePublisher
07-08-2010, 03:46 AM
So when LeBron signs with Miami tomorrow night to join Bosh and Wade, which will leave almost 0 cap space, Scheyer should have a great chance of making the team on a small deal and win two championships in a row at two different levels of play. Not bad Jon, not bad at all.

RoyalBlue08
07-08-2010, 09:43 AM
So when LeBron signs with Miami tomorrow night to join Bosh and Wade, which will leave almost 0 cap space, Scheyer should have a great chance of making the team on a small deal and win two championships in a row at two different levels of play. Not bad Jon, not bad at all.

I was thinking about this too. And I team that loaded could certainly use a guy to stand over in the corner and shoot the three when it is kicked out to him. I'm not saying that's the only thing Jon can do, but it is in his skill set!

CrazieDUMB
07-08-2010, 09:47 AM
True - literally if they get all three, the Heat will ONLY be able to sign players at the minimum. They might be able lure a seasoned vet or two willing to take a pay cut to help with a title (someone like Juwan Howard) but they'll also take on a fair number of rookies. They went into the draft going for more developed players knowing this. Scheyer would be an excellent fit.

toooskies
07-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Other than possibly Brendan Haywood (who won't play for the minimum), I don't see a single free agent still available that will be a positive contributor on the offensive and defensive end. PG is pretty thin too, although Chalmers has a chance to be an adequate PG. It's a hard sell to a vet to take several million dollars less when all three superstars refused to take less than a max deal on that team, when plenty of solid rosters (Bulls, Clippers, Knicks, Nets) will be looking to pay them real money.

In addition, Miami is only a dynasty if everyone stays healthy and productive. For Wade, health is a major concern given his recent past. Bosh's career arc might remain consistently good, or he may head downhill like Jermaine O'Neal's. If you go with three superstars, you're playing 2-on-5 if someone doesn't produce like you expect them to, and not even LeBron/Wade can win that game.