PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting change coming for college hoops.

Jarhead
07-06-2010, 08:43 PM
It looks as if the NCAA is getting ready to make a sea change in the basketball recruiting rules according to this ESPN column (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5357344) published today. I didn't see this coming. Basically, coaches will not be able to offer to prospects until the first of July before the prospect's senior year. What would that have done to the recruiting of Andre Dawkins? I don't know what the impact will be from such a rule change. It is an attempt to reign in coaches. You know, those coaches that offer as early as the eight grade. Discuss, but also please explain this to me , too.

Newton_14
07-06-2010, 09:02 PM
It looks as if the NCAA is getting ready to make a sea change in the basketball recruiting rules according to this ESPN column (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5357344) published today. I didn't see this coming. Basically, coaches will not be able to offer to prospects until the first of July before the prospect's senior year. What would that have done to the recruiting of Andre Dawkins? I don't know what the impact will be from such a rule change. It is an attempt to reign in coaches. You know, those coaches that offer as early as the eight grade. Discuss, but also please explain this to me , too.

My take is this is a rule, that much like the current one, cannot be enforced. All any coach has to do is simply follow OldNavy's favorite coaches method (ol roy): "Son, I am going to offer you a scholarship on July 1st prior to your Sr year." "Thanks Coach. Mom and Dad will be glad to hear that."

The current rule is mid-June between the soph and junior years and we just saw roy do this with the Tokoto kid. He was promised a scholarship offer on that day and got it.

I applaud the efforts but there are other areas of need that could be addressed and bring real change. I don't feel this proposal would do anything at all..

duke79
07-06-2010, 10:00 PM
I've advocated this change for years. I think it is insane how early recruiting now begins. Let's let the kids be kids and NOT worry about where they might be going to college when they are Freshmen or Sophomores in high school. How many kids are really mature enough at that age to make a decision that could affect the rest of their lives? I'm completely in favor of having a much more limited recruiting season for any college sports teams. Obviously, there is the issue of how the NCAA will enforce such a rule and, I'm sure, it will not be easy to get college coaches to refrain from making all sorts of promises to talented younger players to try to induce them to go their school. I believe that the NCAA needs to re-visit all of the recruiting rules with an eye to making them simpler and fairer to all involved - especially the players.

Jarhead
07-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Since we don't know the words, this new restriction might take into consideration the possibility that some coaches are already making plans to violate it. The punishment should fit the crime, so to speak. Make an early promise and get some recruiting slots taken away, perhaps. Too much of a risk? Not for some coaches.

oldnavy
07-07-2010, 08:50 AM
I agree, how can you stop someone from saying "I will offer you a scholarship as soon as I can"? Or at least let a recruit know that very same thing by implying it? If they want to make a rule, just say no contact at all in person, verbal or written with recruits until their sophomore year in high school. You could allow video to be sent to coaches by players or their reps. Then allow the coaches to watch for a year, and send letters (written only no text or electronic comms), then during their junior year allow coaches to have limited personal contact during specific time lines and gradually phase in other communication venues through the senior year in college. Basically make 9th graders and younger totally off limits to any contact whatsoever, and phase in contact over the next 3 years. Doing silly stuff like setting a date when you can offer a kid a scholarship will have no tangible effect. Like I said Ol Roy has mastered getting around this policy.

sagegrouse
07-07-2010, 09:39 AM
I agree, how can you stop someone from saying "I will offer you a scholarship as soon as I can"? .

I think the "Legal Eagles" on the Board could draft a regulation that prevented "the verbal discussion of a scholarship now or in the future." But then, of course, the mind of man would then come up with, "I wish I could say more about our future relationship, but the NCAA regulations have tied my hands."

sagegrouse

Tappan Zee Devil
07-07-2010, 11:15 AM
I agree, how can you stop someone from saying "I will offer you a scholarship as soon as I can"? Or at least let a recruit know that very same thing by implying it?

I wonder if the underlying goal is not so much to prevent the offer (which as you say can implicitly promised in a number of ways) but rather to delay kids from committing until after their Junior year when they are presumably more informed and mature. You can't formally commit until you have a formal offer.

jimsumner
07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
"Let's let the kids be kids and NOT worry about where they might be going to college when they are Freshmen or Sophomores in high school."

I understand the sentiment. But we're talking about junior year, not freshman or sophomore. Perhaps a kid can be a kid better by making and sticking with a committment during his/her junior year and eliminating all the recruiting stress early.

jjh1080
07-07-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't see an issue here. It only means the college can't make an offer. It doesn't stop them from telling a kid they are interested in them. It doesn't stop them from telling the kid they will make them an offer come July 1. It only stops them from making an early offer.

It will cause coaching staffs to be very busy come July. When a recruit falls through they will need to find back ups quickly. But take Rivers for example, it is after July 1 and he doesn't appear to be close to making a decision. It will allow kids time to see if the coach they were recruited by is still on board.

Coach K might get hurt by this with his interest in the Olympics gig, July is pretty busy for him with that team. And fans will be on pins and needles for the month of July when they would rather be laying around in the sun. But for the kids this might be a good thing.

I'm surprised we have already moved on from the National Championship. We should still be celebrating, I am. Yet we are more concerned about next years team and recruits.

But I guess it is true, what have you done for me lately is still the attitude. And the title was won over 2 months ago.

Coach K won his fourth title and no UNC coach has more than two. I'm still partying it up.

Jderf
07-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I wonder if the underlying goal is not so much to prevent the offer (which as you say can implicitly promised in a number of ways) but rather to delay kids from committing until after their Junior year when they are presumably more informed and mature. You can't formally commit until you have a formal offer.

Yea, that's how I saw it, too. More than just reigning in coaches, I think they're trying to temper the flood of decommitments. The coaches can say whatever they want to the recruit, but he won't even have the option of committing until he has the formal offer. Makes it more unlikely that the recruit will change his mind over the next few years.

roywhite
07-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Call it the UNC PG protection rule.

Prevents the Heels from jumping too early on a Kendall Marshall (prior to his junior year) who is highly rated at the time, but doesn't progress as much as, say, a Kyrie Irving.

sagegrouse
07-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Call it the UNC PG protection rule.

I agree totally. If this rule had been in effect, there is no way UNC would have been saddled with the Wear brothers and, through its incompetence, denied an opportunity to recruit the Plumlees or Ryan Kelly. :eek:

sagegrouse

BlueThru&Thru
07-07-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't see an issue here. It only means the college can't make an offer. It doesn't stop them from telling a kid they are interested in them. It doesn't stop them from telling the kid they will make them an offer come July 1. It only stops them from making an early offer.

It will cause coaching staffs to be very busy come July. When a recruit falls through they will need to find back ups quickly. But take Rivers for example, it is after July 1 and he doesn't appear to be close to making a decision. It will allow kids time to see if the coach they were recruited by is still on board.

Coach K might get hurt by this with his interest in the Olympics gig, July is pretty busy for him with that team. And fans will be on pins and needles for the month of July when they would rather be laying around in the sun. But for the kids this might be a good thing.

I'm surprised we have already moved on from the National Championship. We should still be celebrating, I am. Yet we are more concerned about next years team and recruits.

But I guess it is true, what have you done for me lately is still the attitude. And the title was won over 2 months ago.

Coach K won his fourth title and no UNC coach has more than two. I'm still partying it up.

For now

oldnavy
07-08-2010, 06:39 AM
For now

I agree with you on this one. I really believe that number will go from 4 to 5 or 6 within the next couple of years.